The Beauty from the Unknown | Teen Ink

The Beauty from the Unknown

Author's note:

this was a work for a class

Bright moonlight cascaded over FāRa’s head and wings as she sat at the shore of the black ocean. Barely into adulthood—her pale, blue skin was smooth and unmarked. She was perched on a smooth rock, toes buried deep in the wet sand as she stared out towards the sea. Compelled to feel the water on her skin, FāRa stood up and walked to the bank, marvelling at how her small feet just disappeared in the inky ocean. Her silky nightgown danced in the gentle wind hovering above the surface. The water, so shadowed, nothing could be seen but the very top. The ocean didn’t ripple, wave, or move in the slightest—even as she waded ahead, the tips of her light blue wings submerging beneath the darkness. It remained motionless. It was searing hot, yet ice cold and she was in love. FāRa brushed her fingers over the surface as she went deeper, astonished at how she could feel no resistance. The lack of ripples left in the sable water made its aberrance more apparent. The ocean seemed to clutch her worries in its hands and suffocate them in the aphotic depths. In this moment, all she felt was peace. This is the place she belonged to, the place she felt complete. All she wanted was to drown in its heavenly serenity.

A beautiful sound called out to her, drawing her deeper into the abyss. She thought this is what people talk about in stories, this is the song of the ocean. The air shimmered in the moonlight, taking her breath away. It seemed like there were diamonds in the atmosphere, hovering over the sea. The breeze turned to a gale, whipping FāRa’s dress around her legs. Ignoring the changing winds, she twirled around happily in the tainted water. FāRa’s giggles bounced like a stone across the ocean, carried by the current. With a blissful smile she slowed her whirling to glance at the horizon. She couldn’t understand how she saw no moon in the water, though it still gleamed for her in the sky. There was no light reflecting from the sea. It was absolute darkness. As she stood, curiously gazing, a twinkling light caught her eye. Something dark was poking out of the water illuminated by the moonlight. Whatever it was, was steadily emerging from the sea, and soon FāRa began to realize it was a being. For some reason—and she didn’t know why—FāRa couldn’t do a thing but stare. She remained frozen, even when seeing its figure—the curvaceous body and diamond clear, faceted skin. The being’s long hair looked nacreous, reflecting the moonlight as it danced in the wind. There was a brief moment of realization—it was a siren. Panic spread deep in her belly; she knew she had to get out of the water. FāRa stumbled backwards, finally able to move, falling into the venomous sea.

The siren’s body began to glow brilliantly as she parted her lips, singing a frightening tune. Once again, FāRa was paralyzed, gripped tightly by the melody’s sorcery. Glittering tendrils escaped the siren’s mouth and snaked through the air towards the beguiled young woman. Their eyes met and neither looked away; the siren, predator, and FāRa, prey. Ribbons of shimmering smoke wrapped around FāRa and pulled her out of the water, darkness dripping off her body. As the space between them lessened the wind turned to a rage, blowing her nightgown madly in the cyclone. FāRa could not react, for she had fallen under a trance, the siren’s lovely voice and opalescent eyes being her captors. Only inches apart, the siren sang louder, more opaque smoke flowing from her mouth--she was determined to finish this. The smoke parted her lips, despite her feeble attempts at resisting, and crept into her mouth and down her throat. There was a moment of stillness before light began to pour out of every orifice on her face, the ribbons of smoke wrenching out everything that defined her. Her skin withered, losing its beauty and vitality as her soul was torn from her body. The siren widened her mouth, sharp teeth bared, and consumed the bright, pale blue soul of the young woman. The wind halted suddenly and the smoke dissipated as soon as FāRa collapsed into the ocean once more and disappeared. Everything looked the same as it was before FaRa arrived—the black water didn’t move and the wind blew gently, both indifferent to the tragedy that had played out before them. The only thing that remained was the siren, bathed in adoring moonlight. Her crystal body glowed lustrously like a star, and her pearly hair moved like a separate being. For a while, she did nothing but smile maliciously, content with the success of the hunt. She dove back into the water afterwards, moving on as though the life she’d taken was worth as little as an ant’s.