Land of Melkore | Teen Ink

Land of Melkore

By s146197, Fairbanks, Alaska
s146197, Fairbanks, Alaska

Author's note:

A long time ago, in a faraway land. Nothing like the likes of men have ever seen before. This land was called Melkore.  The lands of Melkore were rich and profitable. Full of life and beauty. On the west side were the lands of Vesareus. These lands were full of rolling hills and winding rivers. Towards the north was the mountains of Velor. They are home of the great Bellgorns. Bellgorns are troll giants. Their blood runs of gold and iron. They have giant broad shoulders, stand between thirteen and fourteen feet tall. Their faces have tusks that come out of the bottom part of the jaw.

In the center of the land is the trenches of Bellsarien. This land is rich in minerals and precious stones. But to get to these, you have to pass through the canyon of Dieserione. At the bottom of this place holds the race of the Korgs. These are man like demons born to kill all, even each other.

On the west side is the land of Selorne. These lands are broken up into different sections. On the far side is the dark lands of Selvarian. This land is black and covered in smog. The sun doesn't rise or set. All it is is darkness. The lands of Selvarian were home to the Kieorgs. These beasts where dwarves torchered and drown mad by the darkness and the years trapped in the walls of Selvarian. Their armor rusted and raughting away.

In the south is the mountains of Forlaine. These mountains are the barrier for the forbidden forest of Gerwood. This land is locked by a magical key that has been long lost. The key unlocks a cave at the edge of the mountains that the ancient dwarves made. This forest holds any secrets. There is a path that if you walk off it disappears. Fairies haunt the land. While you sleep, they will come to you and put dust on you that will make you see illusions. This is why the ancient dwarves made the gate and locked it up good. Nobody knows where they hid the ancient key.

In the northeast was the great lake of Melore. Almost all of the rivers run out from this lake into the great sea of Eliron. Towards the east of the lake are the Great Sandilands of Mlore. These lands were once part of the great lake that covered the whole land except the mountains.

These lands were then found by the Melariens. They sailed from across the sea, nobody knows where from though. There clothes where something out of this world. They had streams of gold and diamonds weaved into the fabric. The Melariens are known as the first race of elves to existence. There weapons were the finest of them all. They were made of unbreakable steel, infused with stones that when pierced into a Korg or a Kieorgs. It will melt the flesh off their bones.

The Melariens first landed in the western northern region of Melkore. They quickly found shelter in the caves of Inglarious. These caves were full of Bellgorns, after the battle of Inglarious the Melariens triumphed and defeated the Bellgorns. They realized by drinking their blood, it would give them everlasting life. The gold and iron would go into there bloodstreams and cote the sides of there veins in gold. The Bellgorns tusks held a secret stone in them. This stone was called ungorn, it would give the elves the power to make weapons that would strike fear into the hearts of the Bellgorns. By thrusting this stone soared into there body it would turn them into stone.

Soon after the battle of Inglarious, more of the Melariens came to the new land. After exploring the cave for a good amount of time. They found a gem mine, following by a race of dwarves. These dwarves should the Melariens many great things. They taught the elves new ways of crafting and forging weapons. The dwarves also introduced the elves to wine. Wine was a brand new thing to these elves. They thought it was a drink for the god, which they claimed to be. The dwarves were convinced that they were indeed gods, for knowone has ever been brave enough to take on one of the Bellgorn. And they took on a whole army. Thus the friendship of the two races where made.

The elves built there first city. This was called the lost cave of Medercel. The dwarves had a huge part in this city.  The elves put an enchantment around the border of their lands. So if an enemy comes along the city will appear invisible and just part of the mountains.

As more and more elves came to the world they expanded their race across the lands. They found the race of men. These men were found in a lost valley far in the Palarien mountains. The elves were very surprised when they found out how they were made. The first man was created when a dwarf and elve had a child. They thought that their child would not be accepted into their world because it didn't possess any special abilities like its parent. So they ran away, as they got farther and farther away. They found more people like them. They then entered into this one mountain range and realized it would be a perfect place to build their human civilization.

After the elve found out that history they told the humans that they would have been accepted as one of them and welcomed them back to there city. The humans had declined their offer, for they were much happier with their own people. The reason the elves had searched of from there home was not to just find new lands to settle in, but to also find the lost key that the dwarves had made long ago. By finding this key the elves would enter the forbidden forest and conquer its lands. They had been told stories about the beings that live there.

There are many strange creatures in the forest. The most menacing of them all are the fairies. These are not your typical fairies, no. They are much worse. While you sleep they will come up to you and spray you with there magical fairy dust. This dust will cause you to do many things. For example it will make you see things that aren't actually there.

The reason the elves wanted to conquer this land so much. It is said in ancient text “Those who conquer this great land will become a god, for all to worship and obey.” Even though everyone already saw the elves as gods. Not all worshipped them. They wanted to be loved by all as they thought it should be. As they made their way to the entrance of the cave they found the key. It is unown were but they found it. The cave was open though and was thriving with dwarves. They made it to the second gate and opened it. They found the path that led them to the other side of the forest. But as they slept, the fairies came. When they woke up they were off the path and could never find it again.

The dwarves received the key and hid where no one could ever find it again.

One day a boy named Mathias heard a strange noise coming from upstairs. He called for his sister to come with him. Her name was Rose. They searched the top floor high and low, but could not find out where the noise was coming from. Finally, they heard it again. This time it was in the walls. Mathias put his head to the wall and jumped.

He heard something scratching at the walls trying to get out. Then the noise shot up the wall and into that attic. Rose grabbed a broom and broke through the wall not thinking what the consequences would be. The found what looked like to be a hidden maze. It was made out of little toys that the kids thought there parents had thrown away. They bolted up the stairs to get to the addict. Of course, their mother wasn't home to help them figure out this mystery. When they unlocked the addict’s door a ghostly moan came out, but the kids were not afraid.

The carefully entered into the room and found amazing stuff. There where battle armor and ancient items from long ago. There were these beautiful well-crafted swords that had a stone in with the blade. They didn't know what the stones were but felt like they should take them. They then were so surprised when they found an ancient map of Melkore. which was the world that they lived in. and Rose picked up the map, she dropped it and broke the frame. For some strange reason, a little envelope came out of the frame. They opened it and found a key. This key was made by the ancient dwarves long ago. They had no idea what to do with it. Then they looked in the envelope again and found it was made out of a map. So they folded it inside out and read it. They were shocked by what they had just found. It showed a mountain range and the forbidden forest which the knew too much from there teachers. This forest is supposed to hold great creatures and monsters. The most dangerous of all these creatures were the fairies of Gerwood. These fairies would come to you while you sleep and sprinkle there magic powder that would make you hallucinate and end up off the trails. The passage to this world has been locked for centuries. The key had been lost never to be seen again.

The children were so excited. They wanted to go find out if the legends were true or not. They way out of their city was dangerous. For they would have to follow the mountain pass to the outside world. Their father was no longer alive and her mother didn't care about them that much so they thought that nobody would go looking for them, and right they where. They packed food and supplies for a year and took three of their families horses and one donkey. The horses would carry them and light supplies, and the donkey would carry all of their main supplies to survive. They had their swords attached to their horses just in case they ran into so trouble.

The weather was amazing the only place that gets winter was far off northern land. Which nobody has been for years. They made their way out of there secret valley in the flatlands. Before they left their city. They bought a made of the whole world so they knew exactly where they were going. The map they found in the attic was of ancient writing. Which only rose could read. Mathias would get frustrated by having to get directions from his sister, but they made due. They were scared though. They have never left the valley ever. But they pressed on. Rose figured out what direction they had to go once they got to the flat land, and started to follow the trail.

As night came to fall they made camp, and set up some traps to catch of food.

They woke up the next morning to find there traps empty, they were hoping that some kind of animal would have gotten in one so they could get sThey got the where the map told them the gate was, but nothing was there. They spent three days looking around and around, until one day they found it. Mathias who wore the key wherever they went, decided to take a bath. There was a beautiful crystal clear blue pond right at the base of a thousand-foot cliff. As he dived under he noticed something. There was a little hole in the side of the pond. He got another breath and dived under. He then reached for his key and pushed it in. After three days of searching, he had finally found the entrance to the forbidden forest.

Then the giant rock face cracked open and a big scream and gush of wind broke through. They couldn't understand what the words where but it scared them. Also, a giant wall of blue light went up into the sky. They notice that there were a bunch of dead dwarve bodys on the ground. They think that they got trapped when the others locked the gates. The kids also noticed a black liquid in a canal on both sides of the bath. Mathias puts his finger in it and sees what it is. It ended up being oil. He struck a spark and lit both sides. This lit up the whole entire cave. The cave was full of ancient texts. So ancient that even Rose couldn't figure out. It also had carvings of ancient battles from many years ago. They stopped about halfway through. There was a cut off from the cave that led them to this ancient underground city. This place had been abandoned for more then 300 years it looked like. With in the city there was a forest. This forest was full of apples, plumbs, and cherries. They decided to stay there for the night. In the middle of this city was a fresh water fountain. The kids were very puzzled why the dwarves that died didn't just go back to this place and live, then stay by the gates and die. But the past was in the past and there was nothing that they could do about it. So they found a tiny little house and set there bed in it. Rose was very smart back home and would always set up booby traps for her and her brother’s mom. So she decided to do the same with this place. So if someone tried toome meat. They filled their bags with fruit and tolls left behind and continued on with there journy when they went back into the cave they looked down the tunnel and could see the light at the end of the tunnel. They jumped in glee, the cave was still lit up from the fire and as they walked closer and closer to the end of the cave they kept on getting this really weird feeling. The cave felt colder and denser. The carvings on the walls were full of dark creature carvings. These creatures are not known to the man until this day. They looked like little fairies that darkness had consumed them.

The kids came to the end of the tunnel. There was a huge gate that blocked users from going in. The lock on the door did not look like just a coin slot. They tried to find an object that would fit into the slot and would unlock the gate. They searched high and low in the cave for the key but couldn't find anything. But then Rose remembered the key that unlocked the original door. The key had a round handle. She thought that it would fit in so she tells her brother to try it. Surely enough it worked. And the gate was open. Like the gate, at the front of the cave, a huge gust of wind goes through and nocks the to kids down. There was also this god awful scream that echoed through the tunnel. The noise was so loud that it nocked to kids out.

When they woke up they were in a meadow. The kids were very confused of how they got there because when they passed out they were laying down in the cave. The meadow was full beautiful flowers like none have ever seen before. The trees were tall and full of colors. This forest looked like something coming out of a fairy tale. Some of the trees were full of fruit. These fruits were nothing like they have seen before. They were the size of their heads and as bright as the sun. The kids took one down to try it. The juices rushed out like a waterfall coming out of the mountains. It was the best taste in the whole world. Nothing could ever compare to this. As they walked a little further, try to find the gate to get out. They came across a dead body.

This dead body was just a skeleton know. Part of his bones were turning into dust. In his hands was a book made out of rotten flesh and bones. The children took the book because they thought it would be a good souvenir to their collection. As they were walking back to the gate they notice that the forest was looking much different then it did when they first got there.  The path was now all cracked up and broken. The trees were no longer bright and color full but now covered in a dark brown and red color.

They finally got back to the gate, but it was not opened anymore. It was now covered in tree vines and sealed s**t. They open the book that they found only to read. “ The way is shut, there is no escaping. I tried to leave but they came after me. I lost my way on the path. I fear that this is my end.” Their heart quivered with fear. Out of nowhere, a noise came out of the brush. The children did not know what to do, so they just stood there. A creature came out of the bushes. To the kids surprise the creature was drunk. He stumbled around and fell. Mathias asked for his name. He replied, “ My name is Mlote”. He was a creature about three feet tall. Mlote had a fat body and long pointy ears, with to three-inch tusks coming out of his bottom jaw. He fell on the ground and passed out.

When he woke up he was shocked to see to kids right in front of him.  He insisted that he take them to his house so nothing bad would happen to them. At first, the kids didn't really want to go with him. Then they remembered what they read in the book. Out of fear they agreed to go. They went to a tree that was 70 feet tall and ten feet wide. At the base of it was a root that was popping out of the ground. Mlote pulled it and a door opened. This place was to protect him from all the demons of the forest.

The entrance was much different than they would have expected. As they entered they went down a spiral staircase. This staircase looked very clean and neat. It took them about twenty feet down. As they made there way down to the bottom they ended up in what looked like a wine cellar. Mlote made his own kind of wine it was much stronger than any of the others.  As we walked past all the barrels we made it to another door. Mlote went into a nearby barrel and pulled out a key. He then unlocked the door and opened it into his house. His home was beautiful. The floors were covered in rugs and the ceiling was a panel of glass under the river. As the children looked up. They could see all different kind of fish and creatures. On the walls where amazing handcrafted bookshelves and coat hangers. His kitchen was probably the best part of it all. Since he was living under a river he always had fresh clean water for everything. On one wall he had a map of the whole forest. His grandfather made it when he was a lad. The map was carved into the wall about 2 inches deep. It scaled 7 feet high and 20 feet wide. This map holds the secrets to the forest. It shows every river, path, ancient ruins, danger spots, and the end of the forest. This was the only mad ever made of the forbidden forest. After the kids were done trying to figure out Mlote went to show them to there rooms. He also agreed to take care of the kids and watch over them, for he never had children of his own. They thought the rest of the house was nice. When they walked into the room there jaw dropped. Each room also had a glass ceiling with the river flowing. The beds were made out of sheep wool and cotton. The rooms were also connected by a series of small one-man tunnels so if something bad happens in one room you can make your way to another. Each room also had their own bathroom with a running sink and bath.

The to kids were exhausted and decided to take a nap. But when they woke up it was a day later. The walked into the kitchen and saw Mlote cooking up food for them. After they aight breakfast Mlote asked then why they were in the forest in the first place. At first, the kids did not want to tell him for they were scared that he would not let them continue on the quest. They finally agreed to tell him what their plan was. “ we are going to follow the path to the other side of the forest.” Mlote was very surprised on what they wanted to achieve, for no one has ever had the honor to conquer the forest and survive. Mlote took them back up to the surface for the forest was rid of all the demands for to hours in midday. The kids went and played in the stream for the most part. Mlote also should them how his house is powered and how the stream was filtered.

Come the next day the children packed up to be on their way. Mlote tried to talk them out of it because of how dangerous the forest was without protection. But whatever he said the kids would not listen. So he decided to go with them to finish there quest. Mlote didn't pack much in his things except for his wine. He realized by going through the forest that he's going to need a drink. As they closed the door Mlote put a spell on the tree that transformed it into a patch of grass. The kids were very surprised for they had no idea that he could do magic.

As they passed the stream they came upon the path. the river. In the map in the house, it said that this river was supposed to run straight through the forest and out the other side. After remembering that the kids decided to make a raft to float down the river to make it to the other side. As they were starting Mlote warned them that at night time the river turns into a black tar-like substance and devours everything that is in it. Of course, the kids being kids they did not want to obey his warning and decided to make one anyways. Mlote used his magic to build the raft for them. For if they cut down any trees there would be no stopping the carers to come. As they were finishing there raft sunset was coming. Mlote used a spell that would protect them while they were on their raft. As night came along they did not put the boat in the water. They looked at the river and watched it slowly turn into the black gunk. They then went to bed. About three hours later Rose woke up to a woman screaming. She looked around but couldn't see anyone. But then out from the tree line across the river she saw her mother. Even though she had beaten her when she was little she didn’t care. She knew how dangerous the forest were during the night. As she gotten closer and closer to the border of the raft the screams got louder and louder. Then Mlote woke up and saw her walking out of the protected circle. He quickly grabbed her and brought her back in. he looked into her eyes and saw that they were a dark black. He smacked her a couple of times and she woke up out of the spell. She then looked back to where she saw her mother but saw a black shadow demon instead. Mlote put a spell on her to make her dream happy dreams. He then stayed up all night to make sure everyone was ok.

As the sun rose up both of the spells wore off. They then pushed the boat into the river and started their journey down it. Before they left the house Mathias grabbed a fishing pole and a spear. He gave Mlote the fishing pole while he tied a string. They made a spot on the boat where they could make a fireplace to cook the food that they catch. Of course, halfway through it they decide to have a competition on who can cache the most and biggest fish. Rose bet her money on Mathias for he had the spear and it’s much quicker to bring fish back up. Mlote told him that it was going to be an easy win for he had been fishing these rivers for his whole life. When Mathias started to catch a fish every shot he started to get worried that he would lose. So he decided to use a little magic. Know he started catching a fish every time he put his line in.

They then landed on a sandbank. Mathias then fell into the river. As he started floating down. The lady of the river grabbed him and carried him back to the raft. She warned him that she was only able to help him within this hour for it was the hour of good. They decided to make camp on the sandbar for it was in the middle of the river and away from the shore.  By the time the sun had set they barely got the raft out of the water. They didn't believe Mlote because all of the fish they had caught. If the river kills everything that's in it during the night how are there fish during the day. They threw one of there fish into the river and it instantly evaporated.

As rose fell asleep she had nightmares about the dark demon from the night before they had only travel twenty miles downstream. A big splash went into the river and she woke up. She looked around and couldn't see anyone around. She then heard screams coming from behind her. Mathias and Mlote were in the water being consumed by the river. As she started walking towards the river she heard a voice coming out of the distance

“ the farther you fall.

the stronger I become.

Walk through the wall.

They are unwelcome

Walk off the sand

As you fall in my hand”

As she stepped into the water she did not feel any pain or didn't see anything happen. Then she looked back at her brother and Mlote and they turned into dust and floated like leaves in the wind. The voice kept getting louder and louder till she started screaming in pain. As she started walking back to the sandbar the demon grabbed her by the leg and started to drag her into the river. Her screams wolk up Mathias and Mlote. Mathias ran to go get her but hey could not get outside of the barrier wall. He yells at Mlote to do something but there was nothing that could be done. Mlote than knocked Mathias out with a rock. Then grabbed a bottle and drank his fill.

When they woke up the next morning the river ran blood red. With human body parts floating down it. They pushed the boat back into the river and continued their journey. As they were floating down Mlote had grabbed a bag of flat stones and started to play a game of skipping stones with Mathias. This made him happy for a little while. While Mlote took his daily nap he heard keys rattling in the woods.  He looked at one side of the river and then heard it from the other side. As he looked even closer into the woods he saw what looked like a man in black with chains wrapped around his chest lick a sash. Hanging from his pocket was a ring of keys. He then stopped and slowly looked at him. The man started to full-on sprint at him. When he reached the shoreline he just stared at Mathias with his purple eyes. He then woke up Mlote. As he woke up the man vanished out of nowhere. When he tried to describe the man. Mlote put his hand to Mathias’s head. After a minute he pulled his hand away. Mlote looked at what Mathias saw. Goosebumps went up his spine. He could not believe what he had seen. This creature was banished thousands of years ago by the first age of the Melariens.

They had to stop for the day because night was coming. They found and island with a single tree on it. Mlote put his protected wall around the whole island for he was not going to take another chance with losing another kid. As they started to go to bed Mathias was worried about the figure that he had saw earlier. Mlote told him not to worry about it for it was nothing. But in his head he had known that, that was the creature that had corrupted Rose and dragged to her death. In the middle of the night Mathias woke up because the fire had gone out. Once he started the fire again he heard a voice out in the darkness. It was his sisters voice. He called out her name but she would not reply. He would yell louder and louder but still no answer. As he walked closer toward the protected wall he could start to her her voice. “Rose where are you” he yelled but she kept saying the same line over and over again.

“ The farther you fall.

The stronger I become.

Walk through the wall.

They are unwelcome.

Walk off the sand.

As you fall in my hand.”

To be continued.