Bigfoot is Not Real | Teen Ink

Bigfoot is Not Real

It was Friday night, the night before our annual family camping trip. Everyone was scrambling to get everything packed. This was my siblings’ favorite vacation of the year because they get to go Bigfoot hunting. Parker and Madison are too old for this! Bigfoot is not real and never was. I don’t understand why they can’t realize that already. I, Lucas, on the other hand was not excited. Who wants to be stuck in the woods with animals, bugs, and worst of all, no WiFi! That’s just crazy. I’m even missing my best friend's birthday party for this. This is always the worst vacation of the year.

“Knock, Knock, can I come in?”

Ugh, it’s my Dad. “Yeah come in!” I exclaim. My Dad came in and patted me on the back.

“Hey, are you done packing? I’m going to load everything in the car tonight so we can leave first thing tomorrow morning.”

“Yeah it’s the bag in the corner.” I said while pointing.

“Okay thanks, don’t stay up too late because we are getting up early in the morning.”

“Fine, goodnight.” I really don’t want to go on this trip.

The next morning everyone got up at 6:30am. There was no reason why I was up before the sun. After breakfast, we drove to Mount Rainer National Park. It was a 4-hour drive of torture. Madison and Parker pulled out a huge map of the park and were planning which areas they were going to look for bigfoot. I can’t tell if they are 17 and 18 years old or 7 and 8.

Once we got to the park, our parents made us go on a tour with a guide and go sightseeing. I’m glad I brought my headphones because I was listening to music the whole time. We got back to the campsite at 5:00pm. Mom and Dad said we could go and explore, but we had to be back by 6:30pm for dinner. “Lucas, let’s go. Hurry up!” yelled Madison.

“I’m not going. I don’t want to waste my free time looking for some over-grown grizzly bear.”

“It’s not a bear! We’re looking for bigfoot and Dad said you had to come with us so we can bond.”

“Jeez, Fine!” I voiced.

We’ve spent the past hour walking around in these woods and the sun was starting to set. Parker and Madison were looking for clues and footprints, while also leaving a trail of bread for Bigfoot. They are deranged! There’s no way I’m related to them. I’m just waiting for Mom and Dad to break the news that they are adopted and everything will make sense. It was almost time for dinner and we still hadn’t found this thing yet. “Guys, we should turn back now it’s almost time for dinner,” I suggest.

“ No! We’re so close to finding him,” explained Parker.

“Lucas, stop being so impatient. This process takes time,” sighed Madison.

“I don’t care. I’m going back to the campsite without you guys.” I stated while turning around and following the trail of bread they left.

“Lucas, It’s too dark to go alone! That’s dangerous!”

I ignored their protests and said, “I have a flashlight on my phone. I’ll be fine. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen. Is Bigfoot gonna come get me?” I laughed and continued on my way.

Finally, I was alone and away from those two crazies. I checked my phone and the time read 6:20pm. Yes! 10 minutes until dinner. When I thought about it, I was really hungry. I wondered what Mom and Dad were making? Bigfoot was lucky. He had a trail of bread for a snack. Why didn’t anyone leave me a trail of cookies or something? I was starving out there! A loud ”crack” broke me out of my thoughts. I looked up, but didn’t see anything. I shined my flashlight around to get a better look, but there was still nothing there. “Hello?” I questioned. No one answered. It was probably just Madison and Parker trying to mess with me. I looked down to try and find the trail of bread so I could continue, but it wasn’t there anymore. Maybe I went off track a little while I was lost in my thoughts. I searched around the area, but it was nowhere to be found. It’s fine, I thought. I could find my way back from here. The area looked very familiar.

I tried my best to navigate my way back to the campsite, but everything was starting to look the same. As I was walking in the darkness, I got this very weird vibe. Like the feeling that someone was watching or following me. I turned around to make sure that nothing was there and that’s when I saw it. This 20ft tall creature with brown fur, large hands and feet, and beady eyes staring down at me. I didn’t even get a chance to scream before it grabbed me and swooped me up in its large hands. I squirmed around and tried to get out of its grasp. I remembered the flashlight on my phone and shined the light into the beast’s eyes. That only made it even more mad. The behemoth tightened its hold on my body. I started throwing punches and kicks hoping that anything will work. One punch nailed him in the eye and he dropped me. It let out an ear piercing howl. I fell from about fifteen feet and when I landed I was sure that my legs were broken. I tried my best to crawl away, but I wasn’t fast enough. The creature picked me up again with force. At this point I knew that this was it. This was where it was all going to end at only 13 years old. I should have listened to Parker and Madison and stayed with them. Now I was never going to see them or my parents again. I wish I had never neglected my family and pushed them away. I wish they knew how much I truly cared about them deep down. I love them so much. Tears streamed down my face as I struggled to breathe my last breath. My chest was caving in and I began to feel light headed. The monster finally raised me up towards its horrid face and opened its wide jaws. I could see the jagged teeth as it pulled me toward its mouth and let out a deafening cry. I tried to get away one last time by grabbing onto its teeth and pushing away, but it was to no avail. Clearly, the monster was much stronger than me. Soon it closed its jaws around me and the vile breath encompassed my surroundings. Everything went dark.