A Throne for Two | Teen Ink

A Throne for Two

June 19, 2018
By Ellie Kim, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
More by this author
Ellie Kim, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Traditional escapist novel

It was night, and cold winds floated from the dunes all the way down to the city harbor. Al Madra bobbed sleepily at the edge of the dock, its ancient masthead groaning and shifting in the wind. Above, the lookout yawned and blinked blearily in the evening air. All would be asleep in less than a moment.


Erik sat at the foot of Evignot bridge, watching Al Madra. In one hand, he held a broken pocketwatch, and in his other, a small loaf of bread. His hood was pulled up over his ears and he sat hunched in the folds of his dark cloak.


Erik scowled and turned away from the ship. “It's been an hour,” he complained rather loudly. “When can we try my way?”


There was a rustle in the bushes beside him and Erik heard his partner sigh. “Of course it has. This is Banner we’re talking about. He’s the only man I know that can sleep with both eyes open.” There was a pause. “Besides you, of course.”


Erik smiled unpleasantly and took a bite of the loaf. “You still haven't answered,” he said, chewing. When there was no reply, he tried a different tactic. “Think about it. 40 tons of gold. Enough food to last us a lifetime. A ship of our own! Didn't you always say you wanted to be a fisherman?”


There was a soft thump as Aelan pushed his way out of the bush, landing clumsily at Erik's feet. “You always make it sound so simple,” he retorted, snatching the bread out of Erik’s hand. He took a big bite. “Aren't you forgetting something?” he said with his mouth full. “Tell me— where does the crew fit into this genius plan of yours?”


“They're asleep.”


“I agree,” Aelan replied. “And they'd be more than just asleep if I’d agreed to this ridiculous plan of yours!”


Erik snarled, losing his patience. “Well, go ahead then! Do you have a better idea?” he snapped. “We’ve been sitting here all day and haven't seen him move even once! What makes you think we can just waltz on in there?”


Aelan didn't reply. He was turned toward the ship, training his spyglass on the crow’s nest. “The man’s got to sleep eventually,” he muttered. “What's taking him so goddamn long?”


Erik leapt to his feet. “That's it!” he exclaimed. “I'm going down there whether you like it or not. Follow me if you want,” he growled, “but don't get in my way.”


With that, Erik spun on his heel and marched resolutely down the road toward the docks. Aelan watched him in shock, spyglass still in hand. Lowering it, he saw Erik’s figure disappear into the darkness. He blinked once and shook his head as if to clear it. Erik still did not appear. Suddenly panicked, Aelan dropped to his feet and began to gather his things.


“Oh no,” he said, fumbling with his shoelaces. He tossed his spyglass into the pack and struggled to his feet. “Oh no.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.