Oh... | Teen Ink

Oh...

May 12, 2017
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This peice is straight from my imagination. It ties into my iner emotions and beliefs.

“Do you believe in God?”
“Yes. I believe in God. The real question is if he believes in us.”

Walking along the dark, cold and quiet alley, the man – not knowing where to look –  was suddenly faced with the presences of a disembodied voice. He heard the name William being called to him - in a pattern of three -  with a low, heavy and gravely demonic tone. The man, kind of shaken up - due to the voice - came to his senses. Then thought of why this was weird. William was the name of a soldier that he fought with who was responsible for getting his entire patrol killed. The man replied to the voice with a nervous tone, “My name is Reiner.” The feeling of the presence faded. Reiner thought he was safe. Then suddenly he fell to the ground.
“What?! Where am I?!” Reiner questioned. He was in kind of a dark room with a very red tint. As if he was stuck on the inside of his body.
“Why, why am I here?” Asked Reiner.
“Always full of questions aren’t we Reiner?” Asked the presence returning. “If I recall right, those are the two questions you asked me when we first met”.
“Wait. No, no, no it can’t be you? Wasn’t the war enough for you Captain Rudiger?” Reiner pleaded.
“Well it was, until you did something that well kind of screwed things up here”, explained Captain Rudiger. “You shouldn’t have absorbed that great energy rune when you found it. You thought I wouldn’t find out?” Asked Rudiger.
Reiner proceeded to talk to himself. “How did he know? I thought no one was around when I did the ritual…”

Welcome to the story of Reiner…Well to be honest I don’t really know what his last name is. I am just a simple narrator man. You can’t expect me to know these sort of things. Oh I see. You are not impressed by my narrating skills already. Let me guess, you are probably asking yourself things like “Why does he not know everything? He is the narrator in a 3rd person objective point of view novel”. Or “Is the book talking to me?”. Yes, I am. I can also read your mind, and let me just tell you, those are some interesting thoughts you have up there. Ok. Well you just took this conversation way off topic. You and your human brain. This story isn’t about you. It’s about my good buddy Reiner here. In fact, he is in his bed room right now playing video games.
Reiner is a simple man. He dropped out of college at the age of 18. He didn’t even get past the first week. He told himself that “college was just not for me”. So he made a YouTube channel. He has a total of 10 subscribers now. After 5 years of the channel being up. He is the definition of a couch potato. You know how every family has that one slob? Yeah he is the equivalent of 10 families’ worth of couch potatoes. He’s a mess. His parents love him so very much. By parents I mean his mom. His dad wants to love him. But he finds there to be nothing to love. All he sees when he looks at his son is a slug. Surprisingly Reiner has a girlfriend. A very loving on him type of girlfriend. That he ignores for his videogames. Yup Reiner is for sure a “wonderful” human being. Anyway. Onto what’s happening with him right now.
The sounds of gunfire and explosions come out of Reiner’s gaming head phones. He is playing a game based around war.
“AHHHHHH!” Reiner yelled. “There was no possible way he shot me! I was on the other side of the wall!”
Which the kid who supposedly “shot” him from the other side of the wall replied with “Hahahaha get noooooo scoped noob!”
Reiner replies with bumbling rage, “OH YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! OR I’LL COME OVER THER AN KICK YOUR!”
“REINER!” his mom yelled.
“Jesus Christ” Reiner mumbled. “WHAT DO YOU WANT? I’M BUSY!”
She replied with “I just wanted to let you know I love you! Also dinner is ready!”
“Oh glorious!” He said as he took off his headset and put on pants.
Reiner rushed out of the door. Quickly ran down the stairs, past the bathroom, and into the dining room. For him being such a slob he wasn’t actually fat. He is quit tall and lanky. As he ran into the dining room he went up to his dad. Who was reading the newspaper and drinking beer out of a mug. Patted him on the back, and said.
“Hi dad”
To which his dad chocked on a bit of the beer and muttered, “H-h-hi son” with a kind of disappointed look on his face.
The dinner they were having that night was fried chicken. Reiner got a plate out and put some chicken on the it. He then began to head upstairs.
His mom stopped him by saying “Where do you think you are going?’
To which he replied “Back upstairs to do my job”
“Yeah some job you got there” His dad muttered.
“It is a job. I get money from it” Reiner said with anger.
“I have seen the so called paycheck you get every month!” His dad replied with a bit of aggravation. “It’s literally just a check with 2. TWO dollars on it!”
“It’s still money!” Reiner exclaimed.
His dad replied with anger. “Whatever. You are a 24-year-old man acting like a 12-year-old child. Just get out of my sight!”
Reiner just headed upstairs not even moved by the insult. You could hear the sound of the parents auguring about the conflict. Reiner didn’t care. He just cared about his videogames. As Reiner sat back down to play. He saw his character dead with an enemy player tea-bagging the body.
He heard from the chat a kid chanting. “Noob noob noob noob noob noob NOOB!”
Reiner quickly put the headset back on and stated screaming at the kid. This argument lasted for the entirety of 2 hours.
The time was about eight o’clock as Reiner continued to play his game. To his surprise his girlfriend came in looking all nice. She was one of those perfect looking college girls. She was also the perfect studies wise. She was studying to be a doctor. She set a present wrapped in Christmas gift wrap on his lap
She said “Merry Christmas my sweet boyfriend.” And gave him the gift. ‘I hope you like it.”
To which Reiner replied, “It better be the new Gears of Duty game I wanted Sara” As he paused the game and unwrapped it.
Sara said with a gleeful tone “Just open it.”
Reiner did so and saw a Gears of Duty 10 case. He replied with fiery rage, “WHAT THE HECK. THIS ISN’T THE NEW ONE! THIS IS LAST YEARS! WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID?”
Sara replied, “Just open the case.”
“No! I already have this one! God, you are so useless!” He continued.
Sara persisted, “Reiner just open the case”
He exclaimed “Why are you so retarded! I just want one simple game and you can’t even get that!”
Sara in a teary eyed state “Please Reiner just open case!”
Reiner responded by getting up and slapping her across the face. She fell to the ground and Reiner stood over her.
He talked to her with a grim tone, “Shut up and talk when I want you too.”
Sara had enough. She got up and started beating on Reiner. Breacking his controller and lamp and knocking things over. She was going nuts until she broke his nose.
She got up and yelled at him “I hate you! We are done! You never showed me you loved me but I have for so long! Enjoy your video games! Because they are the only thing you have now! I WISH YOU WERE DEAD!”
That last phrase echoed as if it were going through time. Sara ran out of his room crying. Reiner got up bleeding and went over to the case that she gave him. He picked it up, and began to open it crying.
As he was opening the case. A blight of white light appeared in a sudden at the top corner of the room. Reiner just screamed in fear as a metallic claw came out of the blight toward him. The claw grabbed Reiner but all he could do was scream as it pulled him into the blight. Reiner dropped the Gears of Duty case and it opened. Inside was a picture of Reiner and Sara. With a ring and a card that said “Will you marry me?”

Reiner woke up.
“Welcome to the Upsilon Science (Y)” Voice of automated message. “You must be very confused. Please sit while I explain how you got here. As well as how the rest of your life will go from this point”
The computer continued, “You are subject 229456667. Also known as Reiner. We have imported you here from the earth year 2016. You are currently in earth year 1,225,342. In the 28th day of the month October. We called you here because you had absolutely no purpose in the world. You had no friends. Your parents were never happy with you because of the fact you were an overall slob that liked to stay at home and play Videogames. We also got the final recording we needed to justifiably call you here. Which were the words ‘I wish you were dead’. These were spoken by the one you called Sara. With this data we collected. We concluded that you indeed could not contribute at all to humanity. So we took you into our custody for our own benefit. Over the course of the next week, you will be pumped full of muscle stimulants to increase your overall strength and endurance. Your bones will be injected with a solution to make them stronger than titanium. Your right arm. Being as we observed from your data. Is the weakest part of the body, and will not be effected by the muscle stimulants? We will replace it with a robotic arm that will compensate for the strength and endurance of your other limbs that your arm could not provide. Lastly, we will provide you with a super mind. A computer that will replace your brain to give us complete control over you and your actions. As well as making you a super computer with almost unimaginable capabilities”.
The computer continues, “Now that you know what’s going on. We will now start your glorious adventure here serving Upsilon Science (Y)!” the message ended.  There was a loud bang. Reiner couldn’t move or talk. He then looked down and realized he was in heavy restraints. All he could do and watch. He was in a giant factory looking room on a conveyor belt. He could see others their as well on different conveyor belts. Then all of a sudden, he was in a small dark room. The lights turned on and all he could see were giant needles. Before he could even think, the needles started jabbing into him. Injecting liquids into his muscles and bones. Rainer scream in pain. His screaming was muffled by a wrap being out over his mouth. The injections stopped and then he was moved into the giant conveyor belt looking place of the Upsilon Science (Y).
He was quickly moved to another dark room. The lights once again flipped on then a giant cover came over Reiner. Only exposing his right arm and head. A claw came down and forced him to look at his arm. Then the hand had little cables come out, and into his eyelids to hold them open. Then from the shadow of the room came a saw. It moved quickly over the arm. Then stopped. The saw blade began to spin, and slowly come down toward the arm. He struggled but a clamp came up out of the table his arm was on and held it down. The saw crept closer. Ever so slowly. Then it came to the skin. The saw slowed down and started cutting the first layer of skin. Then started moving slowly down. Reiner was screaming. The screams were of course muffled by wrap covering his mouth, but event then they were still very loud. The blood from his arm was spatting all over the place. Even getting in Reiner’s eyes. The machine flushed it out though so he could watch his arm get severed. It felt like an eternity, but the saw stopped. Backed away. Then a claw came and took away the arm.
Not even a second later a new machine came into light. It had drills and all sorts of contraptions on it. As well as the robot arm soon to be attached to Reiner. This machines work wasn’t slow. It quickly placed the robot arm up to the stump. Then Reiner felt little cords enter in his body. Then woven its self around finally ending at his brain. Then The arm screwed its self into the new harder than titanium bone of his stump. Then Rainer started moving on the conveyor belt again.
The conveyor belt took him to a big room. There were small drills, saws, screws, and other different tools in there hanging above him. Then a brain looking computer and a big drill lowered down. Reiners eyes widened. Then the drill began to spin. Then quickly rammed its self toward his head. He blacked out.

Reiner woke up. He felt sore and had a head ache. Then he got hit with the memories of his transformation. The cybernetic implants that were attached to him. He quickly looked at his arm. The sight was strange. He had his normal arm back. Of course it matched the muscle tone of the rest of his body. But that was not of his concern. He was baffled by the fact he had his arm back. He also realized that his vision was different. He could see perfectly. There was no amount of blur to his vision. Then he came to the realization as to where he was. He was in a dumpster. On a street next to an unbelievably tall building that said had signs all around it saying “Upsilon Science (Y). An institution for a better tomorrow.” Reiner felt cold. He only had a pair of briefs on. There was another lifeless body next to him in the dumpster. It was an outfit that consisted of a wife beater, a jacket, a baseball cap, jeans with a leather belt, and tennis shoes with socks. Yes, it appears fashion hasn’t changed much from the 21st century. He put the cloths on and headed for the streets.
There were cars on the street, along with cars in the sky. Most of the bigger buildings appeared to be made of titanium. The buildings on the lower level looked to be like normal ordinary street buildings. Everyone looked to be upper class citizen. Some would notice Reiner and give him a glare. As if he didn’t belong there.
Some even yelled “Go back to your level trash!”
Reiner looked at a map on a city terminal. It only asked for two languages. Earthman – which appeared to him to be English. Or . That definitely was not the right option. He selected earthman. Which was exactly like 21st century American English. The map asked him to select a level of the city.
“Level?” Reiner asked. “What do they mean by level?”
Displayed was 4 options. Bottom, Lower, Middle, and Upper. Something guided him to select the lowest one. Then and elevator appeared and he walked in. Curious how this happened even though he was going to look at a map. The elevator was all windows. Before it went down a man stepped in with him. He was wearing a similar outfit. The door closed and said. Now beginning our decent to the bottom of the city. The man began to panic.
“Get me out of here” he yelled. “I thought you were going to the lower city.”
The elevator began to descend. The man broke the glass and jumped before the elevator was too far down. His legs got cut off because he was a little too slow getting out. Reiner, after descending a few hundred meters, saw the beginning of the Middle City. It was a huge square about 100 miles in each direction. And had a height of at least one mile. An option came up on the door that asked, “Would you like to speed up your decent?”
Reiner hit the yes option. A chair – one with a sleek look to it - appeared and told him to sit down. He did so. Straps came out to strap him down. Then the elevator became covered with a titanium shell. And launched him down. He felt the G’s hard. Then suddenly. It stopped. The computer said, “You have reached the beginning of the lower level. We cannot continue your fast decent here for safety purposes. Please. Enjoy the rest of your decent.”
The titanium plating lifted away. Reiner was shocked to see that what the lower city was New York. Except, a ruined New York. The place was once again a giant box with the same dimensions as the Middle City. With that light as if a full moon was above. There was still power down below. Reiner could see street lights. Welcome to the big apple.

The elevator halted about 20 feet off the ground. The section in the bottom of the floor toward the middle of the elevator opened. It presented him with a gun and a pair of boots called “long fall boots.”
The computer explained, “this is your last chance to turn back. If you choose to go forward you may never see the surface again. You will be alone. Do you want to stay? Or do you want to go back home?”
On the door two buttons appeared. One was glowing red and said, “Press Forward.” The other glowed green and said, “Return Home.”
“Home” Reiner said. “I remember home.”
Reiner of course selected the button to press on. He took the gun and put on the boots.
“Good luck citizen” said the computer as the elevator pushed him out.
Reiner was in the unknown now. Not much of a change for him though. He heard – in the distance with only a small hum not to be noticed – a sound of a trumpet. Just a short staccato note. Desolation. Burned. The only ways Reiner could describe the city. A feeling of slight helplessness crossed over Reiner. As if someone was touching him, but had no way to push them off. It didn’t help he also had the feeling of being watched.
He looked around time square for a car. As expected. He was not able to find a functioning one. Remember he still has the feeling of being watched. He from a few blocks over the sounds of yelling and gunfire. Something drove him to address the situation. He grabbed his gun – with the look of pride and vigor – rushed to the scene. As he was running. His gun - with the usual look of an assault riffle – changed without him noticing. It glowed white, with strings of light beaming off it like little ribbons flowing in the air. He also had a suit of armor form around. One of light as well. With wings that came out of the back brace. He looked like a guardian angel.
When he came to the battle ground. He found soldiers fighting a group of zombie looking people. They held the symbol of Upsilon (Y). The zombies were gaining the upper hand. So, Reiner jumped in.
Without his control. Reiner jumped into the air – with grace – then slammed his fists into the ground in the middle of a group of zombies. He created an explosion of light which destroyed the zombies. His gun began to fire and guide him in the best method to strike down the zombies. The horde consisted of about 20,000 of the zombies. In no time, Reiner struck them down. Winning the battle.
He stood there for a minute before his new-found power lost effect. He was normal Reiner. The men – with the crest of Upsilon (Y) – stood for a moment. In shock of what they just saw. They aimed their guns at Reiner.
One yelling “He is just like them! TAKE HIM OUT WHILE HE IS WEAK!”
“NO!” yelled a deep voice with a Scottish accent.
The man approached Reiner. He had a facial expretion – one of hope and confusion – then he moved to face his lutenant. The one who yelled.
“This is not a man of darkness. He is one of light. Much like how we were the armor of Upsilon (Y). He is infused with their tech. He was their failed experiment. He is our prophet of which we have been searching so long for. He is the hand of God.”
Reiner fell.
Chapter 4: The Mind
Reiner awoke. In a dark place – warm and dank like a cave – where there was only minimal light. A light blinked on. He walked toward it. He noticed a difference though. He felt home. As he moved closer to the light. A portal opened. Showing him the fight he had with his girlfriend in his room. Up to where he was sucked into the vortex. The portal closed, and a bush appeared next to him ablaze.
“Everything happens for a purpose” the bush said.
Reiner replied, “I feel like I have known you for a long time. Who are you?”
“I am.” Said the voice.
“I understand” said Reiner.
“Free my people with your new-found abilities Reiner. The rest of the story will come to you in due time. We will not communicate from now until it is necessary.” The bush said as it burned out.
Reiner felt home – almost of divine intervention – he knew only now to help free the light from the dark. In any way, he can.
Reiner fell.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.