A Bond in Smoke and Flames | Teen Ink

A Bond in Smoke and Flames

By Casey_Jones, Kirkland,
Casey_Jones, Kirkland,

"Life is a matter of choice. You can be a doctor who saves life. A lawyer who defends life. A soldier who protects life. Or just be yourself, a person, who touched my life..." -Unknown

Author's note:

I hope that people get bits of what I'm about, and my style of writing through this piece, and also hopefully a bit of my personality through the main character, Olivia (who is both named and actually based on me.)

The king and queen waited. Something- or someone had called them into the great hall of their castle, located in the kingdom of Veranada. Who was this mysterious stranger? This thought raced through their mind many times while waiting. Unfortunately, their waiting, and that thought, ended in an instant. Smoke as black as a starless night enveloped the room, filling their lungs to the point where breathing was hard.

"Who- Who are you?" The queen, Queen Elizabeth managed to gasp out. The stranger, cloaked in black, surrounded by the vile, black smoke spoke up.

"Don't you remember me, Mother?" The woman of no more than eighteen said, with distain in her voice. "Your eldest daughter?!?!?!" The king's eyes widened.

"J- J- Jennifer?" King Adrian croaked out. The woman, Jennifer, laughed. It was a cruel laugh, full of suffering, and anger.

"Finally. You remember I even exist! You never have, not- not since that- that little girl was born."

"Y- Your sister, Olivia?" Jennifer's eyes narrowed at her mother, her dark, menacing purple eyes overcome with hatred.

"Yes. That little BEAST!" She yelled out, causing the aging couple to jump. "She- She gets more attention, that little brat. I'M THE ELDEST! I'M THE HEIR TO THE THRONE!" She laughed, maniacally, cruelly. "And now- well, now I am going to kill the both of you. I will be the queen now, and everyone- EVERYONE- will pay for what they did, for the exile. And the little freak? She'll be dead too. And after I kill her, I'll kill the other one too, Andrew. How quaint... No one will be there to challenge me to the throne. Veranada will be mine!" With that, the crazed older sister stopped time, freezing everything in place. She walked over to the poor, doomed couple, grabbing a dagger out of the folds of her cloak. "Goodbye, Mother. Father." With a defiant sneer, the girl stabbed her parents, a final act of betrayal. Afterwards, she left, up to her chambers, unfreezing time and killing her parents, once she was up and far enough away.

The next morning, everything looked normal. At least, as normal as it could when you had fire powers. The girl in her bed, no more than fifteen years old, awoke with a flash.
“Oh…… not again!” She stated, her bed arose in flames, a crimson yellowish-red, not unlike her hair color. She ran across the room and got a bucket of water to extinguish the flames. Now, she realized, it was ten o’clock in the morning. “That’s strange, mother and father usually would have gotten me by “
now…….” She stated with a look of worry in her usually warm and comforting brown eyes. Could something have happened to them? She thought. I best go downstairs to figure things out. The girl bolted downstairs. What she saw, left her speechless and in a gasp. “M- Mother? F- Father?” She managed to gasp out. Her parents, the dear Queen and King of this kingdom, Veranada, lay dead on the floor. She let out a horrified shriek. “JOSHUA!” Her brother, a kind-hearted seventeen year old boy, with the most piercing, beautiful blue eyes- {dreamy sigh} –ran down from upstairs in his room.
“Olivia, love? Are you okay?!?!” He held a sword in his right hand, ready to attack anyone who threatened his little sister.
“M- Mother- F- Father- they’re- they’re,” the child couldn’t even finish before bursting into tears, “Dead! They’re dead Josh! Dead as a doornail on the floor!”
“Olivia- Who could have done such a thing?”
“I- I- I don’t know!” The poor girl yelled out, shaking. “They- someone must have stabbed them during the night!” Just then, the girl’s sister, Jennifer, came down from the kitchen.
“Oh- Oh my word! What happened?” She asked, faking a very believable concerned look. “They’re dead! I can’t believe it!”
“Sis- They’re dead. You realize what that means, right?” Olivia looked up, eyes filled with concern and confusion.
“What do you mean, dear, sweet child?”
“That makes you the queen!” She said excitedly. Her brother held her back, a look of mistrust in his eyes.
“Now, Via, love, go upstairs and get some rest. It’s been a long morning.” He rushed the poor girl upstairs and into her room. “How dare you do that, Jennifer?!?”
“How dare I do what, JOSHUA?” She said with anger in her eyes, but with a slight smirk on her face.
You were the one that killed them! I can tell by the cold, hate-filled smirNonk on your pathetic face!” He yelled, glaring daggers at the charming woman in front of him.
“All a necessary precaution, LOVE,” She says, mocking his little nickname for our heroine. “They couldn’t know. And now- the kingdom is mine. I just- have one last thing to do.” She whistled, and before anyone could say anything, a large, black, menacing dragon came in, swooping silently, delivering a fatal blow to the neck of Joshua, causing him to fall to the ground, unconscious, and nearly dead. “Come, Necromancer. We have much to do, and much to plan.” With that, the woman in black, one of the most feared at the moment, hopped onto the dragon, leaving a poor, wounded Joshua to lie there, bleeding out. Just then, as the dragon left, a young woman, no more than sixteen, grabbed Joshua, placing him on a magnificent, giant ice dragon flying off into the distance to a nearby cave.

If some part of the story has a gap, with a colon at the end (ex. "Meanwhile, back at the castle:") it's a character POV change.

I woke up in a cave, on the outskirts of a kingdom what I assumed to be a few days later. I don’t know what happened, that blow- that blow to the neck should have killed me! I have to warn my sister somehow. She could be in serious danger! My thoughts are cut off shortly when a woman, she looks to be about my age, woah- she’s gorgeous- walks into the cave.
“Are you okay? You got injured badly….” She says.
“Who are you?” I ask, as politely as a should-be-dead person can. And why are you so beautiful?
She pipes up. “My name is Princess Cyrstal of Safaria. And who might you be?”
I look up, “Prince Joshua of Veranada. You can just call me Josh.” “Where am I?” I stare at this big-as-all-hell ice dragon staring right back at me. Jeez, that thing looks like it’s staring into my soul!
“You’re in a cave, outside my kingdom. I saw you injured, I had to help.” She laughs. “Oh, don’t mind Stripe. He’s not much of a people person- er- dragon.”
“Stripe?!?! Who calls a monstrous, badass ice dragon Stripe?!?!”
“It’s a perfectly good name!” She says. My eyes widen when she reaches for her bow and arrows. “Don’t worry. I won’t use them on you, unless you get on my bad side.” I gulp and nod. “Good!” She says cheerfully. “Now, you need rest. Stay here and I’ll get some food for you. “She says, leaving me in the castle. Man, that girl is REALLY pretty. Wait, what am I doing?!? I have to get back home; I have to warn my sister. I try to get up, but the pain is too much to handle right now, so I fall back down.

Meanwhile, back at the castle:

“Sister?” I run about fretting. My brother hasn’t gotten back yet. Jennifer said he went on a trip, but I don’t believe her.
“Yes, Olivia?” She asks. I can see the look of dread on her face. Why does she hate me so much?
“Where’s Josh? You said he’d be back soon.” I ask her, looking up with my peace-filled eyes.
“He needed a break, sister dear. He’s gone.” I hear her mutter to herself, “For good.” What does she mean, “For good”? Did Josh leave me….?
“But- But-“
“No buts. Now, help me get ready. Coronation is today.” She doesn’t think I see the grin on her face, but I do. She killed them, I know it! When we get to the next room, smoke fills my lungs and I start coughing. “J- Jennifer….. I knew it was you….”
“Really…… You’re JUST figuring out? Figures, you little freak- I mean- it was obvious. I just charmed everyone into believing me. That it was…….“ I interject.
“That it was what?!?!”
“That it was YOU who killed them, dear sister. GUARDS!” I notice a bunch of guards swarm in. “As the newly appointed Queen of the Kingdom of Veranada, I sentence thee, Princess Olivia Sapphire Ravenhelm, to treason, and murder of the now deceased King Adrian and Queen Elizabeth, and sentence you to death.”
“Wait! Stop! I- It wasn’t me!” I yell, as guards swarm me, when suddenly, I feel my vision goes black and I fall to the floor.

Translations from Italian: Innamorato: "Sweetheart" Piccola Principessa: "Little Princess" Il mio nuovo compagno: "My new comrade. Stephanie's thoughts: "I am absolutely disgusted! She is so small, and pathetic! No matter... It's only a matter of time until my plan is set in motion."

In a cold, dark dungeon just below the castle:

I wake up in a cold, dark cell. I look around. One of those blasted guards must have knocked me out! I knew it was my sister, but- but how do I- All of a sudden, I hear another voice, a girl’s voice.
“There is no way out, innamorato. Otherwise I would have escaped here two years ago.” I look at the woman, I can’t see much, but she looks to be about two years older than me.
“W- Who are you? And how d- did you know what I was thinking?” I look at her bright green eyes, seeming to glow in the darkness of the cells.
“My name is Stephanie Blake.” I watch the woman, Stephanie, step into what little light there is here. She has unnaturally pink hair, and those green eyes still seemed to glow. “And for the other question, I can read minds. So I know all about why you’re here, piccola principessa. I believe you can help me.” I nod slowly, listening to her accent, which sounds Italian.
“What are you trying to do, Miss Blake?”
“I’m trying to get revenge. See, the new queen framed me for theft. I want revenge.” I heard her say bitterly. I finally look up.
“If you can bust us out of here, I can help you with my sister, okay?”
“Let’s get to work then, il mio nuovo compagno.” She helps me up.

Quick POV change:

I help the little princess up to her feet. “Let’s get to work then, il mio nuovo compagno.” I say. Sono assolutamente disgustato! Lei è così piccola, e patetico! Non importa…. E ‘solo una questione di tempo fino a quando il mio piano è messa in moto………

Grazie: "Thank you"

In an ice cavern, kingdom of Safaria

I watch as the girl- Cyrstal she told me it was- uses magic to heal my wound. “T- Thank you. But I really must get back home.” I said, obviously worried.
“But why?” She asked. “You’re injured and need rest!”
“I have to warn my sister.” I stand up. “No matter what you say.” I step out into the light and call my dragon, Skyfall, a blue and white dragon, hoping he comes.
“I’m not sure he’ll come. Or how far away he is.”
“Shut up! I’m trying to concentrate!” I feel my dragon come, landing in the cave. I sigh. “It’s dangerous, but you can come if you wish.”
I hear her yell out, “Alright!” We hopped on our dragons and flew off. Hopefully this goes well…… Here we come, Olivia!

POV change to Cyrstal:

I fly alongside my new companion, feeling the wind blowing my hair back. We end up flying to the nice- and might I add HANDSOME- prince’s castle. “What’s with the smoke surrounding the castle?”
“Oh no…..” I hear him whisper. “We might be too late….”
“Nonsense!” I say. “Let’s find your sister and defeat this smoky son of a bitch!” I land Stripe and he lands Skyfall. “I’ll check the dungeons, you check the other rooms.” He nods and walks off. I start walking toward the dungeons and come across a set of cells, a girl with pink hair and a girl with orange hair sitting. I hear the girl with orange hair speak.
“H- Hello? Who’s there?”
“Hey, don’t worry! I’m here to get you out.” I said. I started to pick the lock to the two cells and help the girls out. The girl with the pink hair spoke up this time.
“Grazie, dragon rider, my name is Stephanie Blake. My companion here is Olivia Ravenhelm.”
“Ravenhelm?” I perk up.
“Yeah!” the girl with the orange hair- Olivia- piped up.
“Well then. You go on ahead, Steph. I need to speak with her- ah- alone” I see her nod and walk off. “Well- I- uh- I found your brother.” I saw her eyes sparkle in delight. Man, those two must be really close, I thought.
“Really?!?! You found Josh?”
“I did. I’ll take you to him in a second. I have to warn you about something- er- someone.”
“Well? Hurry up! I want to see my brother!”
“It’s that Stephanie woman. I don’t trust her. Something’s off about her.” I see her scoff and roll her eyes.
“She’s fine! Don’t worry.” She smiles. So innocent and young……
“Alright then, if you think so.” I walk out with her following.

Olivia’s POV:

I ran, following the woman, who had introduced herself as Cyrstal. Oh my word! It’s actually him! I thought to myself as I ran towards my brother. “Joshua! You’re alive!” I hugged him tightly.
“Olivia, love!” I felt him hug me back. “I have to warn you about our sister.” I cut him off.
“I know. Jennifer Ravenhelm killed our beloved parents. We have to stop her, us, Cyrstal, and Stephanie, no matter what.”
He nods. “Go get StormChaser. We have Stripe, Cyrstal’s dragon, and Skyfall.” I nod and see Stephanie approach with a dark purple dragon, the color of my sister’s eyes.
“And I have Bullseye.”

Sorella: "Sister" Bambina: "Child" Troppo pericoloso: "Too dangerous" È necessario essere un idioa, si bambino patetico: "You must be an idiot, you pathetic child." Andiamo pericoloso: "Let's get dangerous" (Yes, darkwing duck reference.) Uccelli amore: "Love Birds" Yes, I do realize the Howl's Moving Castle references/inspiration. That was intentional.

I ran off to get my dragon, StormChaser. I can’t believe it! I can’t believe my brother- my thoughts are cut off by Stephanie’s voice. “That he’s alive, sweetie?”
“Y- Yeah.” I jumped. “Don’t do that! I thought you were….
“Your sorella, bambina?” I heard her chuckle.
“Well, y- yeah! You saw what she did to the castle!”
“Don’t be afraid, Olivia. You shouldn’t fear her.”
“How should I know that?” I walk back with her, leading StormChaser along. He keeps growling at her and doesn’t seem to like her. Why doesn’t anybody like her? She’s perfectly nice!
“Let’s just move along. We don’t want your brother worried, now, do we?”
“No we don’t!” I run off, her following. I run up to my brother. “I’ve got StormChaser!” I grin.
“Good.” He said. “I’ve searched the whole castle. Jennifer isn’t here.” I heard Cyrstal pipe up.
“Yes. We think she may have flown with her dragon, Necromancer, was it?” Joshua nodded.
“Yeah, Necromancer.”
“We think she may have flown on him to the Emerald Isles, setting up a base there. We’ve narrowed it down to three locations.” My brother pulled up a map of the Emerald Isles.
“We think it’s either the Thunder Mountains or the Ruby Island. There is a possibility of one other place but it’s highly unlikely….” I gasp in shock.
“You- You surely don’t mean…….”
“Yes, the Amethyst Mansion, which I’ve only read about in stories and legends. It’s similar to that one place….. Howl’s Moving Castle, the Wizard Howl’s place. It’s constantly moving, currently it is in the Emerald Isles, but it could move here, to Safaria,” I heard Stephanie chime in.
“Even my kingdom, the Kingdom of Helena?” Cyrstal, still untrusting of her, nodded.
“Yes, even Helena. And if the rumors are true, it can even go to other worlds.” My brother said, a dark tone to his voice that I had never heard before.
“I- If that’s true,” I started, “W- Why would she choose the Amethyst Mansion of all p- places?” I said, obviously nervous.
“There’s strange magic there, love, likes of which the world has never seen. And plus, there is the Diamond Door.” I saw Cyrstal look at us confused.
“What is the Diamond Door?” I gasped.
“Not the Diamond Door!” Even Stephanie growled.
“The Diamond Door is troppo pericoloso.”
“Will anyone tell me what the huge deal about this stupid Diamond Door is?!?!” I turned to her.
“The Diamond Door has magic sealed in it. Very dangerous dark magic that if released- well- let’s just say that it could destroy the world as we know it.”
“That’s right, love. If released, the magic will go into the nearest person,” He sighed, “Which would be our sister.” He sat down, silent. I continued.
“And she already has strong magic as it is. She doesn’t need the Garnet Gauntlet along with that!” Cyrstal spoke up again. She hasn’t heard of any of these things! The legends must be relative to just my kingdom……
“I’m sorry, but what is the Garnet Gauntlet?” My brother finally spoke up again and answered her.
“The Garnet Gauntlet is one of the many powerful magical artifacts sealed behind the door. There is the Garnet Gauntlet, the Sword of Amethyst, the Aquamarine Key, the Diamond Candelabra, the Emerald Crown, the Alexandrite Belt, the Ruby Ring, the Peridot Flower, the Sapphire Locket, the Pink Tourmaline Gem, the Topaz Armor, and finally, Zircon……”
“What’s Zircon?” Stephanie laughed.
“You really don’t know who the legendary Zircon is? È necessario essere un idiota, si bambino patetico!” I sigh
“The Legendary Zircon is the dragon that guards all the artifacts. You know how everything is named after gems, or contain some sort of gem?” Cyrstal nodded.
“Yeah, I thought that was just a giant coincidence!”
“Well it’s not. Zircon is MADE of Zircon, or Lab Spinel. Think of it like a giant robotic dragon, made of Zircon. The only thing that can control him is the Sword of Amethyst. Once you find that, the dragon, and the entire mansion, is under your control and you absorb all the powerful magic. The only thing that can stop Zircon, and the person with the Sword of Amethyst, is the Sapphire Locket.”
“Wow….. That sounds…” Stephanie jumped in.
“Dangerous, epic, all of the above?” She grinned. “Andiamo pericoloso!” My brother stood up.
“Well, let’s get going. It’s at least fifty miles to the Emerald Isles, and at least one hundred miles to the Amethyst Mansion.” I nodded.
“Stephanie and I will start packing up.” Stephanie nodded at me and we walk off to pack necessary items such as food, water, and supplies.

Joshua’s POV:

I watched as my sister left and I was left with the stunningly beautiful Cyrstal. “A- Are you sure you want to come?” I cringed as I felt myself blush. W- What? Why am I feeling this way? What is happening to me……
“I’m coming. Why are you worried about me? I did save your ass a few times.”
“Well……” I cringed again, blushing more.
“Spit it out! We have to go.”
“I- I love you! I love you and I don’t want you to get hurt!”
“You….. Love me?” I nodded, crashing my lips onto hers. I felt her wrap arms around me. The kiss was long, and frankly, the best kiss I ever had. I felt like I never wanted to pull away. We eventually pulled away for air.
“I love you……” We were both panting for air.
“I love you too, Joshua……” We kissed again, but I jumped away when I heard my sister enter.
“We’re ready- WOAH! I didn’t know you two liked each other!” I blushed deeply.
“S- Shut up, Olivia!” She laughed. Stephanie walked up next to her.
“Well, everything is ready. Let’s go, you two Uccelli amore……” She said, kind of disgusted. I nodded and everyone got ready. Stephanie mounted Bullseye, Olivia mounted StormChaser, Cyrstal mounted Stripe, and I mounted Skyfall. We flew off and started heading towards the Emerald Isles, and the dreaded Amethyst Mansion.

Olivia’s POV:

We managed to make it to the Emerald Isles. Finally, I thought, we’ll be able to stop Jennifer and her evil reign of terror! We can’t let Jennifer get anything from the Door! Or even open it! “Alright, where did you track the mansion to?” My brother spoke up.
“We still have a few miles, sis.”
“But I’m tired! We all are! Can’t we just take a break?”
“I agree with the bambina. Can’t we take a break?” He sighed.
“Fine, we can stop on the Ruby Island.” Everyone landed on the Ruby Island. I grabbed a piece of bread and munched on it. I saw Cyrstal rest her head on Josh’s shoulder.
“You’re so tense. You need to lighten up.”
“No I don’t, Cyrstal. I’m just worried.”
“About what? You only have to be worried about yourself.”
“I’m worried that I’ll lose you and my sister, and there will be nothing I can do about it.” I walked over to him.
“Don’t worry! She has ice and I have fire. We can protect ourselves.” Stephanie ran over.
“Not to burst your little sentimental bubble, but look.” She pointed at the sky and I looked up.
“The Amethyst Mansion!” I jumped up and ran to Skyfall. “Let’s go!” We all flew up to the mansion.
“Everyone ready?” Everyone nodded and flew up on our dragons. I saw a glow. “Oh no……”
“What is it, love?”
“We’re too late. The Door……. It’s been opened!” I ran to the door and I watched in horror as Jennifer grabbed the Sword of Amethyst, taming the might beast Zircon. I heard her dark chuckle.
“You’re too late, my dear sister! I soon shall be the most powerful sorceress in the entire world!” She started laughing insanely. “You’re all finished!” She went to grab the Garnet Gauntlet, and absorb all the magic, but I ran and grabbed it first, putting it on. “Give it up, my darling Olivia.”
“No!” I yelled.
“Very well then. You leave me no choice.” She blasted smoke at me, but I dodged it, putting on the Topaz Armor, grabbing the Sapphire Locket. “No!” She launched Zircon at me. I dodged the legendary beast, and stepped into the sunlight. I aimed the locket, the light bouncing off of it and hitting the dragon. The dragon hissed in pain, burning. “How did- No- Impossible!” She did one final blast of smoke at me, and I started feeling it fill my lungs. I felt myself starting to choke, but I lifted the locket once more, hitting the light to my sister. I heard her scream in pain. “No! You will pay! I’ll come back……” Her voice faded out as she burned into nothing but a pile of ash. I smiled, but it faded as I heard something behind me.
“Everything went according to my plan. I’m sorry that it had to end like this, bambina. I actually started to like you.” Stephanie? But- But- It can’t be….. My thoughts were cut off as I felt a sword go through my stomach, as I felt my vision blurred. I fell to the ground. I saw, blurred, Cyrstal stabbing Stephanie, who held the sword that had killed me. My brother ran to my side.
“No! Olivia! Please, no! I can’t- I couldn’t- please don’t die on me, sis! Please, love!”
“J- Joshua.” I coughed. “I- I love you. You know that, right?” I saw him starting to cry.
“I- I know sis. I know. Please- no- I couldn’t stand it if you…..” I coughed again.
“I’ll see you again, don’t worry.” I smiled, closing my eyes and feeling my heart stop, vision fading to black.

Casey_Jones said...
Casey_Jones, Kirkland,

Thank you so much!

Kathyk said...
Very interesting story with lots of adjectives describing the events. What will happen to Joshua? You have a great imagination and enjoyed reading the book very much.