The Little Teashop of Horrors | Teen Ink

The Little Teashop of Horrors

May 22, 2013
By Taylor Arndt BRONZE, Mount Prospect, Illinois
More by this author
Taylor Arndt BRONZE, Mount Prospect, Illinois
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

LITTLE TEASHOP OF HORRORS: Before the Beginning

Two weeks, six days, twenty-two hours since Katie had held Lance’s hand.

The counter had hit 00:00:00; he had grabbed her hand and dragged her down the street, his breath coming out as ringlets from his mouth. Their smoke traveled into the sparkling sky. He was laughing, repeating again and again he needed to show her the teahouse he had found.

Lance had loved tea. The kind with dry fruit in it, and he never drank it black. It was light and happy-smelling, it was so like him, it hurt. As far as he knew, the teahouse was open twenty-four hours, a perfect place for the beginning of a new year's day.

Katie was nervous as he nearly ripped her arm off as he dragged her down the alley, dodging dark garbage cans toward the gentle glow at the other end. The front was dusty, but beyond the layer of grime, soft light peered out against the shadows.

"Come on," he teased, rubbing his fingers across her frost-red knuckles. "Don't be afraid to try something new."

Katie hated taking risks; they never turned out in the end.

He pushed open the door and the herbal smell was almost overwhelming. Heat rolled through the door, creating steam at their backs. In the pale fluorescent light, a woman wiped down the counter, her brown hair ruining her work as it drifted across the surface.

A thump and a yelp echoed through the small building as a man with extremely tall legs and pale skin slammed his forehead against the doorframe.

"Goddammit Reginald, would you stop doing that?" The girl at the counter whirled around on her feet, shouting at the lanky man. While she was distracted, Lance still tugging Katie toward the counter. She took the moment to gaze around the shop. None of the furniture matched, it varied from modern to such antiquity that Katie would have been afraid to sit on them.

The only other patrons in the teahouse were cuddled on one of the old couches, so intimate that Katie felt she was forced to look away, but not before she caught sight of the man's interesting facial hair.

"Are you sure we should be in here? At this time of night?" she whispered in Lance's ear, tightening the grip on his arm.

He only chuckled in response, nearing the counter. The dark-haired girl had finally turned away from the tall, pale guy.

"Welcome to Bernetta's, my name's Kailee. What can I get you tonight?" her voice was cheerful as she glanced over at Katie, but as her eyes traveled to Lance, her smile faltered.

Lance, as cheerful as ever, didn't see it slip. "I will have the—" he dragged his words on as he scanned the board. Unnerved by the girl's sudden sullen expression, Katie was glad to have a distraction. Her eyes scanned the menu and was surprised by some of the names: Honey and Wolfsbane, Stardust Chai, Fairy Circle with Irish Breakfast, and Earl Grey.

"They all have strange names," she muttered under her breath, and Lance patted her on the arm.

"I know, right?" he chirped, a smile spreading across his face. "The magical theme is definitely cool. Feels like something out of Harry Potter." Katie couldn't help but match his smile. Sometimes, Lance could be more contagious than the flu.

"Alright then," Katie nudged Lance in the side with her elbow. "Choose for me, you're the tea expert."

"Anything for my novice." He patted the top of her head, turning his grin toward Kailee whose frown had only deepened. Her icy-blue stare was focused on the space immediately above Lance's hair. "We will have two vanilla oolongs with rose hips and comfrey."

His words seemed to shock the server out of her stupor, turning around quickly on her heels. "Reginald, I need two Witch-Hunter-Specials and let's give this cute couple a few biscuits as well." her voice shook on the last part as she shouted to the tall man.

He disappeared into the back room, careful to duck his head below the frame. And Lance, being as he was, tried to protest. "No, we only need the tea I assure you."

"No, I insist. We have the best biscuits; they are a must-try."

Lance opened his mouth to argue more, but Katie interrupted him. "Thank you. That would be lovely."

Kailee finally smiled again, but Katie could see something sadder behind her eyes. She waved toward the couches that were sprawled out across the room. "Go get comfortable. We'll bring over your tea."

They chose a small loveseat with threadbare cushions but had still remained cozy. Lance pulled Katie in close and with such force that she almost fell into his lap. "This is to a new year for me and you." he muttered, pressing his forehead against hers. And with a quick kiss on the lips, she rested her tired head against his shoulder, still holding hands.

The tall man, Reginald, brought over their tea in steaming mugs. Katie had almost fallen asleep on Lance's shoulder and took the tea with outstretched fingers. She placed the hot liquid to her lips and it was sweet and warm, and she pushed in closer to Lance's side.

When the tea and biscuits were gone, Katie hadn’t realized she had fallen asleep. It was until there was a gentle shake on her shoulder that pulled her from her warm slumber.

Reginald stood there with a gentle smile, expertly holding two travel cups in one hand. "These are for the road," he said once the fog had cleared, offering Katie the first cup. "Black tea, it will keep you awake long enough to get home." He reached over with long fingers to poke Lance in the chest.

His eyes fluttered open and in a sleepy haze reached for the fresh mug of tea. "Thanks," he mumbled, getting to shaky feet. "What time is it?"

"About two. Business is typically slow this time of day so we let you sleep." his expression changed as he seemed to remember something. Digging into the pocket of his apron, he pulled out a small plastic bag. "More biscuits for the road. Kailee thought that you would want them later." Lance was about to protest in slurred words when the man held up a hand. "On the house, sir." A sharp-toothed smile spread across his face.

Lance, too sleepy to compose a proper response, took the biscuits with little hesitation. It was also not a challenge to pull him out of the teashop. Katie linked their arms and started to walk toward the door.

Kailee stood, holding the door open, releasing the warm arm into the frozen night. The intimate couple was long-gone from the antique couch, the shop empty beside the four of them. Lance nodded to her as he was dragged past. "We'll be back soon,"

A shiver ran down Katie's back, not from the cold but from the way Kailee stared down at her shoes as they passed.

That was two weeks, six days, twenty-three hours, and forty minutes in the past. It was a twenty-minute walk to her apartment, and Lance had insisted on walking back to his own.

He, as casually as he could, started to bring up the possibility moving in, but he seemed to decide against it as his words came out slurred by exhaustion. He shook his head with laughter and they agreed to talk about it the next day. It was a conversation for when he was coherent. He gave her a kiss on the cheek, promised to see her for brunch with her parents, and disappeared down the street.

That was three weeks ago, on the minute.

She wouldn't see him again until the open casket.

Three weeks into the New Year, their new year at three in the morning, she stood in front of Bernetta's with its fragrant scent steaming the night sky from the cracks under the door. A sign that read 'HELP WANTED' hung in the window, beckoning her inside.

Katie hated taking risks; they never turned out in the end.

She hoped that this one would.

Katie laid her fingers against the frosty glass of the door. The other side was hidden by a layer of steam that slipped out from the crack at the bottom in whispers. Her heart thudded against her chest. Katie hated taking risks; they never turned out in the end. And a deep breath, she pushed on the door and there was the twinkle of a bell that signaled her entry.

The shop was empty; then again it was three in the morning. Katie suspected she might by the only person crazy enough to seek tea at this hour. The only other person in the room was the tall barista, Reginald. He sat on the counter and moved as if to swing his legs, but they were so long that on every swing, the scuffed toes of his shoes hit the floor.

With the bell, his eyes fluttered up and locked on her. He jumped to his feet like a startled cat; concern flitted across his face before settling into an uneasy smile. "Hello and welcome to Bernetta's." He coughed once in his hand loudly. "How many I help you?"

Words did not come easily to Katie as her mouth became stickier and stuffier than a wet cotton ball. She weakly pointed over her shoulder at the 'HELP WANTED' sign. "I wanted to apply." The words tumbled out of her mouth in a mumbling mess.

"What's going on Reggie?" A person emerged from the backroom, wiping her hands on her apron. It took Katie a moment to recognize her until she remembered the couple making out on the couch. This woman was beautiful in a way that even Katie couldn't deny it. Long white-blonde hair was tugged back into a sweeping tail that arched over her shoulder, and eyes that Katie swore were purple.

Reggie was about to answer when Katie found her feet and stepped forward. "I said I was interested in applying."

The woman crossed her arms, leaning her hip against the counter. "How did you find this place?"

"She was in here New Year's Day." Reggie's nervous voice stuttered, and Katie saw his pale fingers fly to his collar, tugging at it as if it was suffocating him. "With her boyfriend." He said the second part much quieter, and Katie bit down on the inside of her cheek. Somehow he knew, it was a large city, she was surprised he knew.

The woman's eyes softened with a pang of sympathy. "Alright," she said and returned to wiping her hands on her apron. "I'll see if Bernetta is up to an interview." She turned back toward the front room before pausing. "Come on, follow me." She motioned for Katie to follow. "I'm Aubrey by the way."

"My name's Katie."

"Well Katie," she held open the swinging door. "Why inquire about the job?"

"I need a change of pace. When things aren't going your way, take a risk. That's what Lance always said."

"Your boyfriend?"

Katie nodded, glancing about the kitchen in an attempt to distract her thoughts. In truth, it wasn't much of a kitchen, more like a secret laboratory. Jars full of plants and leaves lined the shelves. Several kettles, Katie counted six, decorated the top of the stove. One was of brand-new stainless steel, and the two in back were pocked and stained with advanced age.

As she stepped closer to a row of glass jars, she squinted at one that seemed to be glowing in the dim light. Her heart nearly stopped in her chest as something thumped against the side. She didn't get a definitive look at the creature inside before Aubrey called from across the room. "Over here!"

Aubrey stood in front of a solid oak door, and like much in this teashop, was worn with age. "This is Bernetta's office, and I would suggest breathing slowly. She plays with her new creations in here." She knocked on the door with a pale hand before pushing the door open with her shoulder. A strong spicy smell spilled out of the room, and Katie struggled to hide a cough in her arm.

"Experimenting with cinnamon again?" Aubrey asked good-humoredly.

The woman sitting at the desk extremely pale from head to foot, the lines on her face made her appear about fifty. What Katie could see of her dress, it looked like something out of a Victorian novel. She raised her head as Aubrey spoke, her cheek flecked with brown dust. "It clears the sinuses and the soul of demons. There seems to be an abundance of both as of late." She said quickly before returning to her work, ignoring them both.

Aubrey cleared her throat loudly three times before Bernetta glanced up from her work. "What? I'm busy." She grumbled.

"Busy at three in the morning? You can allow for a couple of minutes."

"It's three in the morning?!" she demanded incredulously. "Then you definitely should not be bothering me. I need my beauty rest."

Aubrey rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. "Beauty rest my ass, you're a ghost."

Katie's thoughts, if she had any, stopped in their track with those words. A ghost? That wasn't possible. Ghosts weren't real. The dead did not just wander around.

Bernetta stood abruptly from her chair, throwing her arms in the air in resignation. It was hard to notice the way her feet hovered inches from the ground. Katie tried to swallow the lump that formed in her throat. "Fine, what is it? And why did you bring this stranger to my office?" Bernetta seemed to have finally noticed Katie.

"This is Katie—" Aubrey glanced at her expectantly.

Katie barely squeezed out the words. "Smith, my last name is Smith."

"This is Katie Smith, she is interested in applying."

Bernetta arched a ghostly eyebrow. "Applying? Presently, she seems more interested in fainting."

Katie took a shuddering breath, Bernetta was right; the world had kind of taken a tilt. Then she thought of Lance, this whole mess with ghosts and who knows what else, it would have put the biggest smile on his face. This would be a risk he would take.

"No, I'm fine." She insisted, holding a hand forward for Bernetta to shake before she realized that was her dumbest decision, and let it fall to her side. "May I start again? My name is Katherine Smith, and I am interested in applying for the vacant position."

Bernetta pointed her chin and looked down at her with narrowed eyes. "Can you brew tea? Could you tell me the difference between English breakfast and Irish breakfast on taste? Honestly, do you know a lick about tea?"

Katie felt her face burn red, but she set back her shoulders, unwilling to let those words get to her. "No, but I'm willing to learn. And I don't see people lining up to work through the night."

"She's got you there." Aubrey snorted. "And I can teach her, you always say I'm the best besides your boys."

Bernetta frowned deeply, somehow creating more lines in her pale face. Then, after a few tense seconds, she sighed heavily. "Fine, you're lucky that I'm in no mood to make Forget-Me-Not tea." She plopped down in her chair and returned to her work without another word.

Katie felt that she was frozen, unable to look away from the ghostly owner until a hand gripped her shoulder. "That means you got the job." Aubrey muttered, steering her out of the room. "Now get a good night's sleep, be back here by nine tonight and the teaching will begin."

"That quickly?"

"Kailee left a gaping hole in our staff, it needs to be filled."

"Wait, she quit?" Katie shook Aubrey's hand off her shoulder. She clearly remembered the somber-looking girl, the way she had acted around Lance, and with Katie's recent acceptance of ghosts, wild theories flew through her head.

Aubrey smiled sadly, shaking her head. "Went back to the family business. It wasn't our place to ask questions." They walked back into the main room. Reginald was handing a cup of tea to a rather haggard half-naked man. "Good morning Cliffton," Aubrey perked up as Katie moved toward the door. "How many more days left of the full moon?"

The rest of the conversation was cut off as Katie walked into the cold dawn air. It was only then that Katie realized she might have bitten off more than she could chew. Lance would be so proud.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.