Burned and Changed | Teen Ink

Burned and Changed

By Mazii, Mudgee, Other
Mazii, Mudgee, Other

Nothing was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

''Close you eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream, that's how i get by.'' - jack sparrow (johnny depp)

Author's note: I was inspired by Stephaine Meyer - author of Twilight. Her book inspired me to write a dark side of the newborns.

“NO! NO! Oh, please don’t!” One of the new comers was screaming. I was reading one of my books but I soon gave up trying to ignore the screaming, which had been going on for over an hour. I closed my book softly and sat in my spot watching the scene. Alek had his head to the screaming girls neck, it looked like he was kissing her neck but I knew that that wasn’t the case. He was about to rip her head off. “Alek, don’t you dare!” The voice of Jarrod came from at the top of the stairs. We all stopped and looked towards the stairs. The shrieked as Alek ripped off both of her arms. Jarrod had his hands around Alek’s neck. Alek swung his arms around defensively but Jarrod had a skill of knowing every move someone would take. The screaming girl was on the floor, both of her arms beside her. I couldn’t help but I knew that I couldn’t just sit and watch as she struggled. I got up and ran over to her. Jarrod had shown me how to put on body parts that had ripped off so I help the girl put on both of her arms. She looked up at me as I helped her get up from the floor and smiled at her. She winced away but I was used to that. When Jarrod brought some newies home, they were always the one that the older ones targeted. The newies would always wince away but when this girl winced away I felt different, surely she would be grateful that I had helped her. I could have helped Alek instead. I could have gotten a lighter and started the fire in which her arms followed by the rest of her body would find its way into and she would be burnt to pieces. Surely, she didn’t know how much danger she was in, did she? “Thank you, Summer.” Jarrod said to me. I realised that everyone was looking at me but I didn’t care. I shrugged and looked at the ground beneath my feet. Everyone watched me as I went back to my spot to read my book. On my way back, a girl named Eve who always tried to take charge when Jarrod wasn’t around sniggered at me but I just ignored her. She was just seeking attention. “IF ANYONE ELSE IS CAUGHT DOING THIS,” Jarrod yelled, pointing at the fireplace Alek had made before he ripped the screaming girls arms off. It wasn’t to keep us warm, it was so Alek could destroy the girl and burn her body, so she could not put herself back together. I sighed at the thought. I remember when I was one of the real newbie’s and I had my left arm ripped off by Eve. I knew from the minute I meet her that she was trouble and it didn’t take me long before I found out that she didn't give people a chance, she just took one looked up and down and made her decision if you were good enough for not. Jarrod hated it when the newbie’s were pulled to pieces by the others. ‘YES, YES, we know.” Alek’s right-hand man, Steven, said loudly and Jarrod stop shouting at us and turned slowly towards Steven. He was going to cop it now. “Excuse me?” Jarrod said to Steven. Jarrod walked slowly towards him. “What? Can’t a guy have his own say in things?” Steven said with a cheeky smile on his face. I saw Jarrod’s jaw tighten and I could feel a fight happening. “NO. UNLESS YOU WANT TO ANSWER TO HER THEN I SUGGEST YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW!” Jarrod yelled at Steven. Steven backed away slowly until he was a good foot away from Jarrod. Although Jarrod wasn’t going to stop there, he took three quick steps towards Steven and that closed the distance between them in an instance. “Jarrod, please.” Steven began but Jarrod cut him off. Jarrod’s face was inches from Steven’s face. “Don’t you dare, don’t you dare talk back to me. if you do I promise to make your life miserable. SHE doesn’t want any trouble makers but if you or anyone else here wants to disobey her orders than I will take you to her and then you can settle things out with her. Do I make myself clear?” Jarrod said in a whisper to Jarrod but we could all hear clearly. Steven nodded in response to Jarrod. Jarrod smiled and stepped away from him. He turned away from Steven and everyone cringed away as Jarrod faced us. If anyone saw him, they would be able to tell that he was angry. We were preparing for the yelling that would follow but it didn’t come. As soon as we realised that there wasn’t going to be any yelling we relaxed a little. I looked around until my eyes at last fell upon what I was looking for. The girl. I guess she hadn’t realised that she had been in big danger. Oh well. Dear diary, Today was weird. One of the newborns almost got burned today. Not that it is unusual. The weird thing is that it was a girl and when I helped her put herself back together, she looked at me weirdly then got up and stumbled away from me. I really hate it when Jarrod brings newborns home. I feel sorry for them but I guess that’s because I know what it’s like to be the newbie’s. “What are you doing?” Came the voice of Jamie. I looked up to see him smiling at me. He was the first person, if that’s what we are, to talk to me. “Oh hey, Jamie. What’s up?” I said closing my notebook. “Nothing much. What were you writing there?” he asked me pointing to my notebook which was perched on my lap. I smiled. “Oh. It’s... it’s nothing.” I said pushing the notebook away. Jamie knew when I didn’t want to talk about something. He smiled at me. “Well if you ever want to talk, I’m here for you. Ok?” “Ok. Thanks Jamie. I really appreciate it.” I said looking up at him and smiling. “No problem,” he said taking a seat next to me. I smiled. He always made me smile. “So, I saw what happened with the newbie.” I looked down at my notebook. “Summer, I’m... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to-“ “Jamie. It’ fine.” I said cutting him off. I didn’t want him to feel bad for me. He didn’t need to suffer. “No it’s not. Summer in case you haven’t noticed I don’t have that many friends here and well... I care for you. I can’t stand the thought of anything hurting you.” “Hey guys, mind if I join?” I looked up to see Jay. “Nope.” Said Jamie. I didn’t say anything. I just stared. Trying not to say anything embarrassing. The first time I saw him was just after Jarrod had saved me from my arm issue. I saw him looking at me and I cringed away, not out of fear but out of embarrassment. “Writing again?” Jay asked me, looking down at my notebook. I smiled shyly. “No, this is just my... just my diary. I’ve started writing a diary entry for everyday.” I smiled, looking down. “Hey guys,” Said Sam, sitting down next to me and wrapping his arms around me. “Hey beautiful.” I looked up to Jay who was looking at the ground with a frown on his face. He seemed upset. He glanced up to look at me but only for a second. I grabbed Sam’s hand and he squeezed my hand. I held on tight and twisted quickly. In just a few seconds Sam was face down on the ground. “Don’t EVER put your arm around me.” I said turning away and turned around again. “Oh. And don’t call me beautiful.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jay smile, which made me smile. “Oh come on babe, you can’t tell me that you don’t like being call beautiful. I mean gees, you love me for god sake.” “What the hell are you on? Whoever said I’m in love with you is wrong. So sorry princess but I don’t love you and never will.” I turned around and walked away. “Hey Summer, wait up.” Jay was calling out to me. I had walked out of the house and going to sit at my favourite spot to watch the sun set for the day. “Oh, hey. What’s up?” I said. Trying to sound calm and cool. “Nothing much, I told the rest not to follow me. I said I needed to talk to you alone and that I would rip them to pieces if they followed me or even listened.” “Well then let’s hope they don’t follow.” I said smiling. Jay came and took a seat next to me. “So what was so important that you had to threaten people?” I asked Jay interested. “Well, I don’t really know how to tell you. It’s not that important. I guess I just wanted to... to be...” He couldn’t finish his sentence. “Jay? Just say it? Come on. I promise whatever it is, it won’t be that bad once you get it out in the open.” I told him. I wanted to grab his hand and hold him tight and tell him everything would be alright, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. “You think so?” He asked me. He looked nervous, too nervous. What was he trying to say? “Jay, you can tell me what ever is on your mind. You know that don’t you?” I asked, looking at him. I looked at him and smiled. “Of course I do. I trust you.” He said. I looked away so he couldn’t see me smiling. “Well, that’s good to know.” I said, still smiling. I looked up and saw him looking at me. I quickly looked away. “What?” he asked me. I just shook my head. “Nothing.” I mumbled. “What? Please tell me, summer.” He asked me. He took hold of my hand. “It’s nothing. Anyway you’re the one who wanted to talk. So,” I looked up to meet his gaze. “What did you want to talk about?” “Well, first let’s start with what happened with you and Sam. What happened there?” Jay asked me. “Oh, look Jay, I... What do you think happened?” I asked him, curious to what he thought had happened. “Well, to be honest, I have no idea. I thought you and Sam had a thing going on.” I looked up to see Jay looking straight at me with a frown on his face. “What?” I laughed. Jay smiled. “You always put a smile on my face but when I saw Sam wrap his arms around you, well, it just... just made me want to hit him.” Jay said looking away. “What? Why would you want to hit him?” I asked, shocked that he would want to hit someone. Jay looked tough and he wouldn’t hurt anyone unless they’ve done something to upset him. “Well... do you want the truth?” He asked me, still looking down. “Or would you rather a made up excuse?” “The truth, Jay.” I said, where was he going with this conversation? “Ok, well the truth is,” Jay began saying. “Summer!” I looked up, startled by the shout. Only then did I realise that Jay and I had been whispering. I saw Sam running towards us. What does he want now? “Summer. Please, don’t sit out here with no protection.” Sam said. Jay stood up, letting go of my hand. “The only thing she needs protection from is you.” I looked up at Jay, surprised. “From me? Ha, that’s a laugh! What about you? Huh? You’re the most dangerous out of all of us for her to be around and you’re saying she needs protection from me? What’s with that?” Sam said. He looked like he just wanted to jump at Jay and rip him to pieces. “You think I’m dangerous? The only thing I’m dangerous to is my prey and if you think that Summer is my prey then you might need to open your eyes and see that she isn’t a piece of meat she a beautiful creature and I have no intention of having her for my prey.” If I could blush like a human could, I would have looked like a sunbaked tomato. “Yes, I think you’re dangerous. Stay the hell away from my girlfriend. And if I ever see you hold her hand or even touch her again I’ll rip you to pieces.” Sam said with a smirk on his face. I got up but Jay was too fast and caught my wrists but I was fighting against him, he quickly grabbed me around my waist. I stopped fighting. “See, she wants me so bad.” Sam said. He reached out for my hand and I took it gladly. “Sorry Chuck, but you’re too late.” “Chuck? Too late?” Jay said. I looked at him. If only we could talk a language without anyone else understanding. “We can talk later.” I said smiling. Jay just looked at me without saying a word, but I watched him as Sam led me back to where I had run from. As Sam opened the door that would lead to the basement where everyone stayed most of the time, I took one last look at Jay and saw that after been let standing there, well, he had moved which was good. He was now sitting down but still watching me. I wish he knew what my plan was. Sam began to lead me around the side of the house. “So beautiful, I was thinking.” Sam started to say when he stopped in a halt. “What?” I said, trying to keep calm and controlling my anger so I didn’t punch him or rip him to pieces. “Huh? Oh I just thought we could use some privacy.” He said, sitting on a window ledge, still holding my hand he pulled me closer to him. “Why?” I asked him. “Well, I know that you and I don’t see eye to eye but I know that you have feelings for me and I’ve been waiting for someone like you.” Sam said to me. “Uh, Sam. Look I’m sorry but I can’t” I said pushing away from Sam. “What? Is there someone else? Chuck? Is he the reason?” Sam said harshly. “What? Who the hell is... oh Chuck. Don’t you mean Jay?” I said back just as harshly. “Jay? Is that his name? Summer you deserve better than that loser and you know it.” “What are you talking about Sam?” I asked sharply. “Oh, come on Summer. The guy was just trying to make a move on you. You can’t tell me that he wasn’t.” Sam said. “Look Sam, I’ve tried to tell you that I’m not interested.” “But why? Everyone here likes me, especially all the girls.” Sam said. “Well not me.” I said. I stood my ground. “We shall see.” Sam said pushing past me walking towards the way we had just come. I had an urge to follow him but just to be sure, I waited a few human seconds before slowly making my way to where Sam had walked. I stopped at the corner. Why was Sam sitting besides Jay? “Look, I’m sorry but I can’t help you. You’re just too late.” I heard Sam say. “What do you mean? I know that you two aren’t together so don’t try and fool me.” Jay said. I smiled. Of course, Sam wouldn’t be able to fool Jay. He was smart and knew that I’d never have feelings for someone who sickened me as much as Sam did. “You know what I mean. And I’m sorry but you are too late. I just asked her be marry me and we are now engaged. Again, I’m sorry.” Sam said. “Look. I know you’re lying. She hates your guts and would never like you let along marry you. What do you think you’ll get out of pretending that you and her belong together when you don’t. She’s way too good for you.” Jay said. I would see him. He looked like he was about to pounce on Sam. “Jay! Don’t!” I screamed, running towards where Sam and Jay were. Both of them were in a crouch, ready to kill. They were going to fight. “Summer, don’t! Back away. I don’t want you to get hurt.” Jay said, not taking his eyes off Sam. Sam laughed. “You don’t want her to get hurt? What? You actually care for her? If you don’t want her to get hurt maybe, you should just leave her alone. The only thing that will hurt her is you. So just back off and stop playing with her mind you jerk.” “I AM HERE YOU KNOW?!” I yelled. “Summer, look, I’m sorry but I need you to know that this guy... He isn’t good for you. He doesn’t love you.” Sam said. I laughed. I take a few steps forward. “How do you know what love is?” I asked him. “Well, it’s easy. I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I don’t want this thing to get in the way.” Sam said, spitting the words out. “You’re unbelievable!” I yelled at him. “What? Come on Summer, you and me are supposed to be.” Sam said. “Get over yourself, you’re such a twit and I don’t want anything to do with you. Leave me alone!” I yelled at Sam. I couldn’t stand this anymore, so I turned and headed towards the basement door. “Summer!” I hear Sam yell. “Come back. I’m sorry.” I didn’t answer. He wasn’t worth it. “Hey Summer, over here.” A girl called. I looked over towards where the voice had called me and I saw that it was Nicole. I smiled. “Hey,” I said as I walked over. “Hey,” “Hi,” “Sup,” “This is Paige and Amy. They are newbie’s but guess what?” Nicole said excitedly. She was smiling and jumping in her seat. “What?” I said trying to sound as excited as her. “Well, you’ll never guess. Ok, well, Paige and Amy lived in the same area as I did and we all knew each other.” “Well, that’s great news,” I said. We sat in silence for a few minutes. “Well, I mean, that you have each other’s company again, not that you are here, frozen in time like the rest of us.” “Is it hard?” the brunette asked suddenly. “What hard?” I asked, confused. “The ‘change’?” she whispered the word. I shuddered. Every time someone brought it up, the memories re-emerged, sharp and painful, as if it had happened yesterday. “Do you want the truth or just an outright lie?” I asked nervously. Normally questions like these weren’t asked. The fear of terror kept us all from asking one another questions that lurk in our minds day after day. “The truth and only the truth. I want to know what I’ve become and for what purpose. I can see that I’m not who I used to be. Can you help?” She asked, pleading to me for answer. Answer which I didn’t fully know myself. “Ok, now what you have to understand is that I don’t know every answer to the questions you just asked but I’ll tell you what I know. Is that ok?” I eyed them cautiously. They nodded. I took a deep breath and just as I was about to start explaining what I knew, a hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked at the hand and let a sign of relief when I realised it wasn’t Jarrod or anyone I didn’t want to deal with, it was Jay. Slowly I looked up at jay and smiled. “May I join you?” he asked looking only at me. “Of course you can Jay.” Nicole said smiling widely. “Thank you.” He said politely, without taking his eyes of me, he sat down of the closest chair. “Jay, I... I, I just wanted to apologise for what happened outside before. I shouldn’t have acted that way especially when you wanted to talk to me and then Sam came along and I went with him instead of staying with you. I’m really sorry.” I said not caring who was listening. At least Jay knew I was sorry. “Summer, it doesn’t matter. Seriously stop working yourself up about it.” Jay said as calmly as if we were talking about the weather. “Jay, how can you be so calm?” I asked. “Because I can. I believe you’re sorry and I forgive you but please take it easy on yourself because you don’t need to work yourself up about a stupid drama, especially if it involves Sam.” Jay said moving towards me. “Jay, look, I can’t... I can’t...” I couldn’t finish my sentence. How could I? “Don’t. Please, for me.” Jay said. Taking my hand and sending a fire to run up my arm. “If you insist.” “I do. Can we do something tonight? I’ve want to hang out for a while but we’ve all been so busy that I haven’t had the time to ask.” Jay said smiling at me, with my favourite smile. “What did you have in mind?” I asked still smiling. Jay had that effect on me. “What about a picnic near the river overwatching the sunset?” Jay asked. “Jay. I don’t know about that.” “If you don’t I will.” Nicole said standing up and taking Jay’s hand. I sat on my fist to stop myself from hitting her in the head. I didn’t like it when other girls touched Jay. “Don’t ever touch me again.” Jay said spitting the words at Nicole and releasing his hand from her grip. She stepped back looking offended. Jay shook his head. “Jay?” I said immediately getting up. I placed a hand on his shoulder hoping that he wouldn’t snap at me. “Are you alright?” “Yeah, I’m fine.” He said to me but avoiding eye contact. He turned to Nicole who looked like she’d seen a ghost. “Listen Nicole, I’m sorry for before. It was wrong of me and was uncalled for. I’m sorry for my behaviour.” “Um... that’s alright. But I think we need to work on being more physical with each other.” That did it. CRUNCH! “What the frig was that for?” Nicole screamed at me from the ground seconds later. “You know what! Don’t ever speak to me again!” I snarled at her. I turned away from her and saw Jay looking at me. I couldn’t speak. I mouthed the words I’m sorry to him, then ran out the nearest door covering my face from the crowd that had formed around the scene. I ran for about a minute until I arrived at the one place I felt comfortable. Our swing. Somehow I don’t think it will be our swing anymore. “AHH!” I screamed out. How could this day be any worse? Crunch! I quickly turned around to see Jay standing there behind a big tree stump. I breathed a heavy sigh. “I’m sorry.” I whispered to him. “Don’t be.” He said softly. “What do you mean?” I asked, looking up at him, confused. “Summer, I... I don’t know how to tell you. It’s complicated.” “Try. Please.” “Will you join me for a picnic?” “After everything that’s gone on? I don’t know Jason.” I said, unsure. “Jason? What’s with the formalities? It’s still me.” “You still want me to call you Jay?” I asked. How could he want me to talk to at all? After what I just did inside. “Summer, you’re my best friend. Out of everyone here you’re the one I trust the most.” Jay said to me. “Really? You don’t... hate me?” I asked him. “Summer,” He said, taking hold of my shoulders and sending a fire down to my fingers. “Jay, I’m so sorry. I should have told you long ago,” “Summer, wait here. I’ll go get some stuff for the picnic and then we can talk so we aren’t overheard, ok?” Jay said letting go of my shoulder and grabbing my hand instead. “Um... ok.” I said, still worried. “I’ll be back soon. Don’t run away this time.” Jay said smiling. “I won’t.” I said smiling. “Good. I’ll be right back. Just give me at least 5 minutes. Ok?” Jay asked me. “Any longer and I’ll run away.” I joked. “Ha ha, you’re so funny.” Jay said smiling. He started to pull his hand from mine when I held on tighter. He looked at me and then it happened he pulled me in his arms. He rested his chin on top of my head. It felt right. I snuggled my head into his chest while he played with my hair. We stood there for quiet sometime before either of us spoke again. I didn’t want this moment to end. “I’ll be right back.” Jay said. I looked up to where he was but saw that he had already gone. I breathed a sigh and went over to the swing waiting for his return. I thought I heard him return when I heard a whoosh of air and I looked up expecting him to be standing in front of me but he wasn’t. Instead, a single rose was lying on the swing next to me. I picked it up and smiled. “It’s beautiful, thanks Jay.” I said to Jay who was hiding somewhere. “Not as beautiful as you.” Jay’s voice behind me whispered into my ear. I giggled. I wasn’t use to people saying nice things about me. Jay walked around me and I saw that he had everything. He had a lot of things, maybe I should have helped him. I started to feel guilty when Jay dropped everything and pulled me into a soft but affectionate hug. This time it wasn’t as long as the first but it was just as nice. Jay smiled. “Shall we?” He said holding out his hand to me. I smiled and took hold of his hand greatfully. “So where do you plan to take me for a picnic?” I asked as I looked towards where the sun was in the afternoon sky. “Well,” Jay said as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. “I was thinking about taking you to a place I came upon whilst returning home from hunting a few weeks ago. It’s brilliant and very privet too.” “Really?” I asked looking at Jay. He nodded. “Yes, really, I sat there the day I came across it for a while. It was peaceful and quiet. All I could hear was the flow of the small lake.” Jay said. “Small lake?” I asked “Yeah there’s a small lake. It was really nice the other day when I sat there. I was making my way back from hunting and I thought I would make a detour through here and it’s a good thing I did because I came across this beautiful place.” I smiled. “A beautiful place to show a beautiful girl.” Jay said looking down at me. “All talk, no action.” I said jokingly. “Alright, let’s go.” Jay said using his free arm to carry the picnic basket. “Lead the way.” I said. Before I remembered my diary. “Wait!” “What? What’s wrong?” Jay asked me, suddenly getting into a defensive crouch I front of me. I laughed. “What?” He asked as he stood up realising that there was no danger. “I just forgot my diary that’s all.” I told him. “Oh, you forgot it did you?” He said smiling. I looked at him and nodded. “Yep. Why?” I asked suspicious. He pulled a book out. “Does it look like this by any chance?” “You’re the best!” I squealed. “I know.” Jay laughed. I laughed too. “Let’s go.” I said as I grabbed his arm and wrapped it back around my shoulders, and felt the fire running down my back. I shivered. “Are you cold?” Jay asked. “No.” I said before he even finished the sentence. “You ok, Summer?” Jay asked. “Yeah, let’s go.” I started walking but he wasn’t beside me. I turned and saw that he hadn’t moved. I walked back to him. “Jay,” I said grabbing his hands and holding them to my mouth. “Summer,” He whispered, closing his eyes. “I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry.” “I love you,” I looked up at him. Questions filling my head. “What?” Jay asked. “Nothing, let’s go.” I said still shocked and wondering if I had heard right. Jay let go of one of my hands and picked up the picnic basket. We walked and walked. The sun was starting to make its way down the sky when we were finally making our way through thick trees and fallen vines. “Close your eyes,” Jay said after a long time of silence. I close my eyes without hesitation. “I’ll be right back.” “Ok.” I said without opening my eyes. I listened carefully and heard him moving around in front of me, doing something. I couldn’t really tell what was going to be in front of me. Was there going to be a house? A gazebo with a barbeque? A castle? “Open.” Jay’s voice said in front of me. My eyes flickered open and saw him standing in front of me, his face only inches from mine. A smile spread across my face. Smiling was just a habit when I was with Jay. “Finished?” I asked him. “Yep. Ready?” He asked me. I nodded and smiled. “I hope it’s too much for you.” Jay said. I looked at him and shook my head. “What? You don’t believe me?” “How can anything be too much?” I asked. “When I’m with you, everything is perfect.” I smiled. “Really? Do you like hanging out with me?” Jay asked. I laughed. “Are you kidding? I love hanging out with you.” I said. “Summer, I can’t begin to tell you.” Jay began. I looked at him and saw he was struggling. “Hey, everything’s ok.” I said. “I know. Everything is ok when I’m with you. You’re the sun of my world.” “Jay,” “Yes Summer.” Jay said looking at me straight in the eyes. “Are you going to show me the picnic or whatever you were doing while I had my eyes close?” I asked. Jay smiled. “Sure. Right this way,” Jay said, gesturing his hand towards the meadow. “Wow, it’s beautiful.” I said. I couldn’t help myself. “I told you.” Jay said simply. “Yeah, I know you told me but I thought you were just saying that. I didn’t think you actually meant it.” I said, looking at him. “Well, I did.” Jay said. I laughed. “I can’t believe it!” I said. I ran over to the other side of the meadow. I twirled around in the light breeze. I breathed in the fresh air and laughed. “Having fun there?” Jay called out after I slowed down with my twirling around and started to taking in the detail surrounding me. I stopped and looked at Jay. I smiled when I saw that he had a picnic blanket and food set out. It looked like it belonged there. “Jay, you’re perfect.” “What?” Jay asked. “Nothing. Sorry.” I mumbled shyly. “Summer,” Jay said right in front of me now. It was crazy how vampires could move so quickly. “Jay,” I said. I tried not to smile or laugh. “Come with me.” Jay said. I smiled. Jay held out his hand and I took it. He moved my hands to his shoulders and then picked me picked me up as if I was a child. This was odd. “Jay,” “Yes Summer?” “This isn’t at all like you.” I said. I couldn’t help myself. It just blurted out. He laughed but I didn’t. I was being honest with him and he was laughing? “That’s because you haven’t seen me properly.” Jay said. “What do you mean by that?” I asked. “Well, for one, you have never seen me around a girl that I actually like, correct?” he asked. I nodded. “Secondly, I don’t normally show any girl, this sort of behaviour. In fact, this is probably the first time.” Jay said, looking down at me smiling. I was still confused. “Go on.” I said urging him to continue. He sighed. “Don’t you get it Summer? I don’t like this because I hadn’t found that someone who I wanted to act like this,” Jay started saying. “But.” “But what?” he asked. “Well, you said that you hadn’t found someone. Have you found that someone now?” I asked, not really wanted to know the answer. “What do you sound so gloomy? Summer?” Jay asked. “It’s just... it’s hard to explain and it doesn’t matter because it’s impossible.” I said sadly. Knowing that I was going to have to tell him now. I’d already told him too much for him to ignore it. “Try. Please?” He said. I glared at him. I hated it when he quoted me. “Why don’t hurry and move your butt over to the picnic and I’ll try.” It didn’t take long. We were at the picnic in no time at all. Jay placed me down on the blanket and then sat next to me. I breathed a heavy sigh. He looked at me and lifted one of his eyebrows. I laughed. I took my hand and squeezed it. “So, do you want to start straight away or would you like to stall a little more?” Jay asked me. I bowed my head. “I don’t know why you care so much.” I said quietly. “I’ll take that as you want to stall a bit more.” “No, no I should start now and get it over and done with.” “Ok, where do you want to begin?” “Ok, the thing is... when we met I thought you would be like all the rest.” “And? Am I? Summer please tell me what’s going on. Why are you not looking at me?” “Jay, I don’t want to ruin our friendship.” I whispered knowing that he would hear me. He didn’t reply so I looked up and saw him rubbing his head. “Summer, I know what you mean.” Jay said quietly. I shook my head and took a step forward. “Jay,” I whispered. He stood there, in front of my with his head facing the ground. “I need to know how you feel. Please tell me.” I said still whispering. Wishing that instead of standing in front of him, I could be holding him in my arms and telling him everything was going to be alright. “Summer, I know what you mean by you don’t want to ruin our friendship because I have felt the same way you do.” “You have? What do you mean by ‘you have’?” I asked him taken by shock by what I was hearing. He didn’t feel the same way as me and I thought that... What had I been thinking? “Summer, you ok?” Jay say lifting my chin up with one of his hands. I pushed away but his reflexes knew what was going on and he grabbed me in a tight hold and pulled me closer to himself. I struggled against his strength. “I’m fine, really Jay. Don’t worry about me.” I said in a whisper because I knew it wasn’t true. “Summer, when I say that I have felt that way before is because I’m telling you the truth. I have had strong feeling for this one girl and they haven’t dispersed. I can’t help it that I’m bewitched, no one can.” “You’re bewitched? Ok I get it.” I said in a sad whisper. It was finally starting to sink in that Jay wasn’t in love with me like I wanted him to be. I was never going to get my fairytale ending. “Summer, you don’t get it. I’m bewitched by the one who has taught me so much.” Jay said taking a step closer to me but I stepped away. “I’m happy for you then Jay. Really and truly I am.” “No you’re not Summer. You don’t honestly think I’m going to believe you when you say you’re fine when it’s apparent that you’re the complete opposite? You’re better than this Sum.” Jay said taking a step towards me and I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t move and by the time he had taken his step I was looking deep into his eyes and I was melting. How could I have been so selfish? Jay was my best friend and if he had found a girl who made him happy, who was I to get in his way? “I’m sorry Jay, you know me,” I said with a fake smile. “I just wanted to be the only girl in your life. But if this girl makes you happy I guess I could share.” “Really? You’d do that for me?” Jay said with a smile on his face. “Jay,” I whispered. “I’d do anything for you.” “Thank you.” He said in a whisper. We stood there in silence for a while until Jay pulled him into a hug. We had never embraced like this before.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 8:56 am
MysteryHeart GOLD, Thorold, Other

Usted es especial! AKWARD!!! (in an opera like voice), ohhh fasha', what the huh?,who in the name of what?, sanity now!

It made no sense to me. dialogue was very repetative and some of it unessessary. not to mention the story line it went to fast, and alot of the characters were kind of introduced all at once with no background on anyof them. And with the whole relationship thing..... well i was getting lost.

Mazii said...
on Feb. 20 2011 at 7:46 pm
Mazii, Mudgee, Other

Can people please comment on my story after you've read it... i'd like to know what people think and what their opinion is. Thanks heaps :)