World Breakers | Teen Ink

World Breakers

By Maddie0102, Somerset, Kentucky
Maddie0102, Somerset, Kentucky

Author's note:

This peice wasn't really decided on until I started writting it. I wasnt exactly sure what it would be about until I fell in love with their love story.

We had been packed for weeks now, just counting down the days until the trip. The three of us were so excited and now the day was finally here. “Lindsey, where did my new blue sandals go?”

“They were in your closet last I time saw them,” I answered. Kaylie went on her hunt and I went back to double checking if I had everything.

“Hey you,” a voice behind me mumbles. I turn around only to find my second best friend Hailey standing there.

“Hey,” I whisper.

“Don’t be worried,” Hailey states, “I know you're already stressing, but please don't. Lindsey just have fun, this trip is for you anyways.”

“I know,” I mumble, “Thank you both.” She smiles at me then walks back out into the hallway to Kaylie’s room. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have had any pace to stay. They were there for me before and after my parents died from a car crash. Despite being 2 years older than me they still accept me. After my parents passed they let me move in with them, they are basically my sisters, my second family.

We did a double check of everything, made sure things were unplugged and turned off. Our suitcases were in the back, so we’re set to go. Before I open the door I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. It wasn't but four months ago my face was sunken in and my eyes were always red from crying. Something has changed though. My skin glows and and my blonde hair shines. I'm not exactly sure what it is though. My blues eyes aren't red anymore.

“Lindsey, your turn for the radio.” Kaylie states. Hailey and her look at me and I smile. I plug my phone in and start my favorite playlist. They only do this because music is one of my favorite things. In minutes were all singing along and laughing. Then I remember that I needed to know something.

“Can we talk for awhile,” I ask. They look at each other and smile because they know what I'm about to ask.

“About what?” Hailey questions.

“Where are we going?” I plead, “you promised you would tell me about it on the way there.”

It's silent for a moment but then Kaylie says, “We don't know where we’re  going. We couldn't find a place, so were going on a road trip.” My eyes widen and I can feel the worry set in.

“What do you mean?” I gulp.

“Don't worry, Lindsey,” Hailey replies, “We’ll stop before the nights over, find a place to stay.” I nod but inside my heart is pounding and I have to close my eyes to keep from passing out. I hate not having a plan, I’m that type of person who has to know what's going on. Instead of saying anything I try to relax, so I close my eyes again. In minutes I’m asleep.

“Lindsey wake up,” Hailey says. My eyes open and I can see that I've slept for a while. It's dark outside and for some reason were pulled over to the side of the road.

“What's wrong,” I ask, “are we at a hotel?”

“No, we forgot to put gas in the car and ran out,” Kaylie explained. At any other time I would have panicked, but right now all I want to do is laugh. It really doesn't make sense but I do. I laugh until tears are streaming down my face. Sometime mid-laugh Kaylie and Hailey start laughing with me.

When I finally gain control I ask, “Well what are we going to do?”

“A few miles back I saw an exit sign for a gas station, I don't know how far though,” Kaylie replied, “I honestly have no clue where we are.”

I look at the two of them and say, “Looks like two of us are going to be walking but someone has to stay with the car.” Kaylie volunteers to stay so Hailey and I start walking. We talk the whole way there about everything, like we always do.

“Why did you laugh like that? It was great to hear it, but why?” Hailey asks.

“I don't know,” I say, “ It's rare that I laugh like that but-.” My thoughts are broken my the glowing Shell Station sign not even a mile in front of us. Hailey looks at me and smiles. “Looks like we found it,” I state.“Yeah, you find the snacks and I'll pay for the gas.” she replies.

When we get inside we split up like we had planned and I head for the snack section. After a minute of looking I feel someone come up beside me.

I assume it's Hailey so I start talking, “Did you know that chocolate covered peanuts are my favorite?”

“Mine would definitely be the same, but I would rather have pretzels.” a male voice behind me says. I turn around suddenly embarrassed.

“I'm sorry I thought you were my friend Hailey,” I finally stumble out because it takes everything in me to say anything to this boy. I've never seen someone so handsome. He smiles and something about his eyes change. It was beautiful, almost captivating. I'm immediately drawn to this boy, and I've never met him before in my life.

“Don’t worry about it,” he says.  He holds his hand out suddenly breaking into my thoughts. I shake it and when I do my heart starts pounding. “My name is Greyson, what about you?” he asks.

“Lindsey,” I finally say. I don't even know this boy but I want to. Everything in me wants to sit beside him and let him talk about anything. I had never knew what love at first sight was, I thought it was a joke now but I know different. I turn around when I feel Hailey come up beside me.

“Lindsey, who is this?”

“Greyson,” I sigh. Even saying his name makes my heart do something weird. It’s like I was designed to say his name. Something is different about him though, maybe it's his eyes or his smile. I'm not really sure.

“Well Greyson, I’m Hailey, Lindsey's best friend.” she says while she's staring me down because she knows.

“I've heard,” he jokes.

“Really?” she questions, “how did this happen?”

I start telling her the story of how he walked up behind me and I thought he was her. When the story's over Hailey and Greyson are both laughing even though I'm still embarrassed.

“We should be on our way,” I say turning to Greyson then to Hailey.

“We can't, I forgot my card back in the car and we don't have a gas can,” Hailey replies.

“Don't worry about that,” Greyson says cheerfully, “ I'll pay for it. I also have a gas can in my jeep.”   

“You don't have to do that,” I protest.

“I know I don't have to but I want to,” he responds.

Before I can say anything against that he turns and starts walking for his jeep. When he's far enough away Hailey says exactly what I've been thinking. “He’s cute,” she laughs.

“I know,” I say, “ but there's something different about him.”

Greyson pays for all of our snacks and our gas, and we head for his jeep. “So Lindsey, what are you and your friend doing out so late in Vermont?” he asks.

“I didn't know we were in Vermont,” I say, “ but were going on a road trip to some unknown place.” I shoot Hailey a look at the last few words.

“Like an adventure,” he asks, “sounds like fun.”

“It's more scary than exciting,” I mumble.

After driving for about a mile we finally get back to the car. For some reason I’m dreading saying goodbye to him. Before I even have the chance to thank him, he offers to fill up the gas tank. Of course Hailey takes him up on this. “Oh goodness, I thought you two had been kidnapped or had gotten lost,” Kaylie stammers when she sees us.

“Well no, but we met someone,” Hailey chimes.

“I see that,” Kaylie says.

“Yeah, he and Lindsey get along great,” Hailey jokes. I shoot both of them a look but then duck my head when I see Greyson smile at me.

“What's your name?” Kaylie asks.

“Greyson,” he replies.

Kaylie looks at him with the eyes of a protective mother. I can't stand it so I say, “We met at the gas station and he was nice enough to pay for our gas and our food.”

“Thank you,” Hailey says. Kaylie nods and thanks him as well.

“Its late now and most hotels wont be open,” Kaylie explained, “we might be sleeping in the car Lindsey.”

“It'll be fine,” I answer. Both of my friends look at me with questioning eyes, they're probably thinking I'm sick because usually I would never agree to that. Ever since my parents passing, cars aren't really my favorite things.

“Oh no, that can't happen,” Greyson says shaking his head, “ my buddies dad own a cabin not far from here. We’re staying there for the summer and we have lots of extra space.”

“It will be fine,” I say jumping in before one of my friends do.

“Lindsey, it would be no problem at all,” he replies, “but if you do decide to come it's just a little ways up, the first right. After that it's the first cabin on the left.”

“We might have to take you up on that,” Hailey responds.

“It was nice meeting you,” Kaylie says.

“You too,” he replies.

Hailey and Kaylie go toward the car but then turn back to me, “Are you coming?” they ask.

“Yeah, just a second,” I answer. I turn to Greyson and when I see his eyes they change again. This guy is definitely different, but I want to know everything about him. I step closer almost being drawn to him.

“It was nice meeting you Lindsey,” he whispers. For a moment my mind goes blank then I remember I have to say something.

“Yeah, you to,” I whisper.

“Till we meet again,” he says. He holds out his hand and I take it. I feel as if I'm about to cry so I let go and turn my head. I need to leave now so I start walking toward the car. When I get to the door I stop only to turn around and see him watching me go. Before I turn my head away again, I could swear I saw his eyes change again.

“Don't look so sad Lindsey,” Hailey says.

“I'm not,” I argue.

“Yes you are,” Kaylie says.

I roll my eyes and give in, of course they know. These two girls in here know me better than anyone else. “I honestly dont know whats going on,” I state, “I don't even know the guy, but I want to. I feel some kind of connection with him.”

“Hailey talked me into going to the cabin,” Kaylie blurts out. My eyes widen and they can both see the happiness inside me rise. “It's against my better judgement, but she thinks he's trustworthy,” she says cautiously.

My heart jumps up and and something inside me changes. It’s crazy how your mood can change in 2.5 seconds. “Really?” I ask.

“Yes, but under one condition,” Hailey says.

“What? Anything,” I plead.

“You set me up with one of his friends,” Hailey laughs.

All three of us start laughing, “Deal,” I finally say.

The drive to the cabin is short and when we pull in I‘m blown away. These cabins are so beautiful. They each have their own unique look to them. Some have overlooking balconies and some have wrap around porches. The lawns are so neatly trimmed and the flowers in the yard are breathtaking. Whoever does the yard work here should definitely get paid his fair share. We finally find the cabin Greyson was talking about only because his jeep is in the circle driveway. In the middle of the circle is a fountain with the water flowing out in elegant patterns. The front of the house has an overlooking balcony and it has a look of a medieval castle, but wooden. This place is not cheap. I can hardly wait to see the inside.

“Hurry,” I chime.

“Were coming,” Hailey laughs.

I've always felt like a daughter or a little sister to them, like they have to be there to protect me. So I grab my bag and wait for them.

“Are you gonna knock?”

“Of course,” I beam.

Before I have time to even raise my hand a boy that looks similar to Greyson opens the door. He has the same light brown hair and tan skin, but I think Greyson might be a little taller. His eyes are blue though, I'm not sure what color Greyson’s are.

“Can I help you?” he asks.

“ I’m Lindsey, and these are my friends Hailey and Kaylie,” I reply, “ we’re looking for Greyson, we had met at the gas station.”

“Oh yeah, come on in,” he says, “ my name is Kyle by the way.”

I automatically turn to Hailey who is already lovestruck by him, I just smile because I know how she is.

“Greyson is just out back,” Kyle says, “if you want I can take your bags to your rooms.”

“I’ll help!” Hailey chimes in.

“That should be fine,” Kaylie replies, “ is there a bathroom in our room I need to get ready to sleep.”

“There are lots of extra rooms so you each get your own room,” he laughs, “didn’t you know that?”

“No, but that sounds better,” Kaylie says.

“Yeah,” he replies, “ it's my dad's winter place, he won't mind if you stay in the extra rooms as long as we clean it afterwards.”

“We don't want to cause any trouble,” I answer.

“No trouble,” he laughs, “I'll take your bag.”

With that the three of them make their way to the rooms and I go try to find Greyson. There is a sliding glass door that leads to a back patio and through it I can see a huge pool. It seems to be lit up in several different colors. When I get a little closer to the door I start to hear guy voices and laughter. Walking outback I see Greyson and two other guys. I start to walk to the chairs where they are sitting, but before I can get to them the two guys notice me and look my way. Greyson turns to see what they are looking at. “Lindsey!” Greyson exclamies. I smile and walk closer to him, and he puts his arm around me. He turn to the others and says, “Chad, Ryun,” he starts, “this is Lindsey, we met at the gas station.” I wave but inside I feel like I'm about to faint, with Greysons arm around me I can't think straight.

“Oh, chocolate covered peanuts girl?” one of the guys ask.

“Yes, Ryun,” Greyson laughs.

The two guys stand and start walking to the door. “We should be on our way,” Chad states.

“Oh no, I didn't mean for you all to leave,” I say.

“We stay in the cabin not to far from here,” Chad replies, “and we will be back tomorrow.”

“Oh yeah, for the campout?” Ryun asks.

“Yeah,” Greyson replies. The two leave and after they’re gone Greyson turns to me. “Lindsey, how are you?” He smiles at me and my heart melts.

“Fine, I just wanted to let you know that I’m here,” I reply.

“I see that,” he laughs, “if your not to tired, would you like to stay up with me for a while?”

“Yes,” I answer.

Greyson and I stayed up all night and into the early hours of the morning. We talked about anything and everything. From favorite things to do, all the way to my parents. I never tell just anyone about loosing my parents, but I feel like I can trust him. He told me about his passion for sports and traveling. He loves nature which would explain why he stays at the cabin. The woods behind the cabin are beautiful with the mountains and the trees. I told him about my love for music and art, and the same as him I love traveling and nature. I feel like I had learned so much about him, but there is one thing that I can't shake. His eyes changed several times. With his mood, his smile and when his eyes turned to the sun early in the morning they had a purpleish, green tint to them. Beautiful, but not natural. Not only his eyes but he never got tired. He stayed awake and never yawned. I know it's not much to worry about, but this guy is different, unworldly almost. Finally when I can't stand to stay awake I say goodnight to Greyson and go up to my room.

When I finally wake, through the windows I can see the the sun has sunk below the mountains. Making a pattern of oranges, pinks, and some blues, into a beautiful sunset. I would do anything for a paintbrush right now. Instead I start down the steps and make my way to the living room. Rounding the corner I see Hailey and Kyle sitting on the couch, Chad and Ryun from the night before, and Kaylie on the other side reading. Greyson is nowhere to be seen, but he might still be sleeping. “Well good morning,” Kaylie says when she sees me come in.

“Hey,” I smile, “where is Greyson?”

“He’s outback getting the fire started,” Kyle replies. I take a seat next to Kaylie and she puts her book down.

“You all must have been up late last night,” Chad laughs. I nod and smile because they all know that we were up late.

“How late did you all stay up?” Kyle asks.

“It was about 7am before I got in the bed,” I reply. They all shake their heads and laugh, but I'm still in a daze. Last night was one of the best nights I've had in a long time. Greyson is the first person I've confided in, besides Kaylie and Hailey, since my parents passing.

“Fire is ready,” Greyson says when he comes in through the back sliding door. When he does notice me his face lights up, and once again his eyes change. Everytime they do my heart races because it's beautiful, not normal, but beautiful. “Lindsey, your awake!” he exclaims.

“Yeah,” I laugh, “have been for about fifteen minutes.”

“Well then come on!” he exclaims. He's so happy and I'm not even sure how much sleep he got. I'm not sure I’ll be fully rested from last night for a week. The guys head out for the fire and us three girls make our way to the kitchen. Before they had walked out, they had asked for smores. “Only us three girls would know what to get,” they joked. So now me and my two best friends searched in the kitchen looking for things to make smores with. It shouldn't be hard, but I guess with only having guys here they wouldn't need stuff to make smores.

“So how was last night?” Kaylie questions me. She does this all of the time, makes sure I'm okay. I understand why though, she doesn't want me to get hurt again.

“It went fine,” I reply, trying to hide my smile that has been plastered on my face ever since I met Greyson.

“Just fine?” Hailey asks. Finally I cant hold it in anymore. I tell them everything that happened from us talking about his favorite things to his eyes. Somewhere in the middle of talking to them I find myself feeling like a schoolgirl, with a crush so bad that it consumes me. I wish it wasn't because I know that someday we will have to say goodbye to each other. I dread that day. When I'm finished talking they both just stare at me. They look at me with the eyes of two protective sisters, I almost forgot they had this look. The look of two giddy best friends that can't seem to wait to hear more, they look like they are happy for me.

“Wow,” they both say

“Your so in love with him and you just met him yesterday.” Kaylie says.

“I know!” I exclaim, “it’s crazy.” They nod in agreement, they are not opposed to the idea of me loving him. They both want me to be happy, but be smart about how I handle this. Sooner or later there will come an end to me and Greyson, and that is the one thing I dread worse than going back to a town where everything reminds me of my parents.

We have no luck at finding the things to make smores, so we head outside.

“Where are our smores at?” Chad asks.

“Your kitchen is empty,” Kaylie replies.

“That is so true,” Kyle laughs, “there is never food in the cabinets.” We take a seat and soon enough we all fall into conversation. The night fades faster like this and the sun is gone completely now replaced my the moon. Sitting outside with the glow of the campfire the only light source, under a blanket of black filled with stars. It’s quieter now besides the voices of friends talking and the crickets. It’s warm except the occasional breeze. Then I feel Greysons arm go around me and I lean into his shoulder. This would be perfect if I could just freeze this moment, but it will pass and I know it. I look up at Greyson and this time I know for sure, his eyes definitely changed. Being so close to him now I feel like I’ve been captured by him. Everything in me wants kiss him. To just hold him and be next to him, so I give in. I stare into his deep beautiful, everchanging eyes and let him pull me closer. My heart races and I know what's coming next. I shouldn't kiss this boy or let myself be in his arms, but I want to so I do. The moment his lips land on mine I know a part of me will always stay with him. I will always be his and he will always be mine. When we pull apart I can see myself through him, and I feel beautiful. He makes me feel beautiful. It takes alot for me to trust someone but I know that I can trust Greyson. I can see everything through him. “Well that was something,” Kyle laughs. Greyson just smiles and so do I. That's all that we can do, but now I have to know. I'll wait to ask him when everyone is gone. How is it possible that I can see life through him and his eyes make me love him more. Why do his eyes change, and why is he so different?

After a couple of hours everyone finally goes in, besides me and Greyson. Now is the time, but then he looks at me and he knows that I know. “Where to begin,” he sighs.

“Why are you so different?” I ask, “why are we so connected?”

He sits closer to me and takes my hands, and he reads my mind. He answers all of my questions in more ways than I thought he could. He explains to me that we were destined to meet. We are the soul mates that are so separate in more ways than one that its deadly. He comes from another planet many millions of miles away from here. We were designed to love each other, to know everything about each other just by looking in each others eyes. He knew me before I knew him and he came here to meet me, to spend the only amount of time he’ll ever be able to with me. He explains that if he were to stay here with me, our worlds would collide and earth would break. Our love is designed to be powerful, and we are designed to love each other. When he quits talking I sit back and I have to breathe in and close my eyes to take this all in. Its amazing really, I was designed to love this guy, but I'm not allowed to have him. Its amazingly unfair.

“We can't stay together?” I ask, already knowing the answer. He shakes his head and it takes everything in me to keep from crying.

“Lindsey,” he says, “I will always be a part of you and our thoughts are intertwined. We will always be a part of each other.” I know this is true, but it doesn't help knowing I will never see him again.

“When do we have to say goodbye?” I ask.

“Tomorrow is the last day before I have to leave,” he replies. That's all that he had to say and I was in his arms. We stay like that, clinging to each other for a while until he pulls back. “Lindsey,” he says, “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I reply. He kisses me again and my heart is gone. I will always belong to him. We stay up until the sun peaks above the mountains, and we both turn to watch the sun come up. He puts his arms around me and we stand there holding each other for the last time.

Hours later the time comes to say goodbye. I’m dreading it as much as he is. Kyle and Hailey are sitting beside each other on the couch and Kaylie reading. Chad and Ryun are still asleep on the couch. We walk in and they all turn to look at us, Kaylie knows automatically what’s wrong. I just shake my head and this makes her a little less worried.

“Well Kyle thank you for letting me stay here,” Greyson says.

“Yeah anytime,” he replies, standing to hug him bye. I hate this, having to say goodbye to him and never seeing him again. It's not fair but, for the sake of this world, we cant be together. They all share their goodbyes and once Chad wakes up he takes our group picture. Greyson wants one with just me so I stand next to him, putting on a fake smile for him.

“Well I guess this is goodbye,” I say, tears begging to pour out, but I can't let them. He takes me in his arms and I hold onto him with the hope that he won’t leave but I know he has to. When he pulls back I stare into his eyes once more and what I see sets a fire of hope inside of me.

“Goodbye Lindsey,” he says, “I will see you soon.” I stand there and watch him drive off, but I don't need to cry. I won't be without him forever, so now I wait for him.

This book has 1 comment.

LonelyGrl said...
LonelyGrl, Meridian, Idaho

The Flint

by Christina Rossetti

An emerald is as green as grass,
A ruby red as blood;
A sapphire shines as blue as heaven;
A flint lies in the mud.

A diamond is a brillant stone,
To catch the world's desire;
An opal holds a fiery spark;
But a flint holds fire.

THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!!! THERE HAS TO BE A SEQUEL!!! IF NOT, THEN I AM BEGGING YOU TO WRITE ONE!!! I WANT TO KNOW HAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!