Promise Me | Teen Ink

Promise Me

By _zjeadral BRONZE, Baguio City, Other
_zjeadral BRONZE, Baguio City, Other

Hey guys! So, this is the prologue! I hope you guys enjoyed! Let me know what you think in the comments and tell me if I had some grammatical errors haha.
Also, if you guys have any suggestions for the cover, let me know in the comments so I'll know if I have to change it :) But for now, this will be the cover of this book :) Thanks for reading and I hope you guys have a lovely day! xo :)

She laid on her bed, facing the ceiling. Her thoughts wandered off to the deepest and darkest parts of her brain. She tried to shake off the unpleasant feeling that was slowly eating her. She tried to think of thoughts that manifested rainbows and sunshine but nothing came. Her life had been full of heartbreak and sadness that her evil thoughts slowly invaded her good ones. She tried to think of happy memories but that eventually lead to reminiscing about the consequences she'd faced. Consequences for what? What could she have done that made the Creator think of punishing her so much to the point where she couldn't even breathe properly anymore? Again, nothing came to her.

She got up from her position and went to the bathroom. She faced the mirror in front of her and let her eyes wander to her appearance. She had dull blue eyes, with huge bags under them, hair that fell to her chest that looked so lifeless and unhealthy, lips that were pale and chapped, pale skin, and a skinny body. The events that happened in her life for the past two years have lead her to eat unhealthily and irregularly, even skipping a few meals because she felt like she didn't need to eat. What's the point? Why would I need to feed myself when I'm going to die soon anyway. She often told herself.

She was currently studying at Martin University as a Graphics Designing student. It had been her dream to be a Graphics Designer. It was THEIR dream, but sadly, her partner-in-crime left her. Left as in one day he just disappeared without saying goodbye. Liam disappeared without a trace. He was her rock, her protector, her best friend, her first love, her first everything. When he disappeared, she was devastated. She no longer had the person who made her strong, the one who helped her through bad days, the one who loved her despite her flaws and imperfections, the one who told her that she was perfect in every way when she doubts herself. She began to feel vulnerable and helpless.

Liam's family treated her as one of their own. They were there when she needed someone. They helped her at her lowest and comforted her. They were there to save her from everything that's been happening in her life. They were there to stop her from taking her own life. But when he left, everything disappeared as well. His parents stopped contacting her. They stopped supporting her with the school fees so she had to work at least three jobs to support herself. They stopped communicating with her which was another reason why she felt so devastated. She's never felt so alone. She's never felt so tired and sad in her whole life. It was like the universe was pulling people away from her. It was like gravity had some sick sense of humor that thought it was funny to pull her loved ones away from her life.

Every night, she falls asleep with cheeks that were wet from tears. She would dream about her parents' death which made her feel weaker every morning she woke. She would have nightmares about her insecurities and imperfections, with people who would bring her down and point out her flaws. She would wake up in the middle of the night and wouldn't be able to sleep again until after three to four hours, and wake up two hours later.

She hides her true self under a face full of make up, and actions that are too staged. She hides under the facade of a happy and stress-free person to survive. Faking her expressions and her reactions was too tiring for her so by the end of the day, the weight of the burden she carries comes crashing down on her and breaks her even more.

She left the bathroom and headed to the kitchen. She poured herself a glass of water. When she was done, she placed the glass on the sink and sat down on one of the kitchen stools. She lives in a tiny apartment, with one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen with a small table in the middle and a chair on each side, a living room with a couch and an old TV, and a laundry room.

She once had the perfect family. A mother who cared for her and her siblings and loved them with all her heart. A father who worked hard to give his children the things they needed and wanted. Two brothers, Jason and Brandon, who protected her and defended her, and also took care of her when she was little. But that all changed when their parents died in a fire. Her dad was at work and her mom went to visit him. Brandon and her were at school, Jason was also at work, none of them having any clue on what was about to happen. The fire started at the Fifth Floor of the Lincoln Co., and immediately spread to the top floors. Her dad's office was located at the Eighth Floor. She was only eleven at that time. Jason was twenty one and Brandon was seventeen. She was the only one clueless about the fact that she wouldn't see their parents again. She was young and innocent. She never looked at anything negatively. She was the one who brought joy to their family, the light to their once dull life. She was their angel. Still, a few months after their parents' death have passed, everything was dull, and they felt numb. Before she knew it, she was suddenly losing more. Jason got married a few months after their parents' death then moved to the other side of the planet. He never came back, never visited them. Brandon had to stop school and looked for a job. He was the one who kept the two of them alive. But after a few months, Brandon got arrested for being accused of murder. She was forced to live with her grandparents. And then she met Liam. Then she felt happy again. But, like they say, nothing lasts forever.

She sighed heavily and placed her head on the table, silently praying.

Please, God. Please end my suffering.  I can't take it anymore. I just want to be free from all this. I need my family. I need my brothers. I can't do this alone. Please, God. Help me. Give me the strength to hold on.

Tears were streaming down her face and she sobbed quietly.

"Mom, Dad, I miss you so, so much. Why am I being punished like this? What did I do to deserve this?" She whispered. "I miss Jason and Brandon. I don't know where Jason is and I don't know if Brandon is still alive. I don't like this feeling. Please, please, help me. I really miss you guys and I don't know if I could hold on much longer. I just need to feel your warmth." She hiccuped. "I just want to see you guys again." She continued to sob until she couldn't cry anymore. Eventually, she calmed down and lifted her head to see that the sun was already starting to rise.

She still had at least two hours before her classes start, so she used the remaining time to rest her eyes. She went to her room and cleaned her face. Then she headed to her bed and slept, dreaming of the events that had happened in her life for the past ten years.

*******

"Melissa." A soft voice called her. She turned around and looked for whoever owned that voice but she couldn't see anything. There was nothing there but darkness.

"Melissa." The voice was too familiar, but she couldn't tell exactly who it belonged to.

"Wh-who are you?"

"Don't you remember me, Melissa?" She started to panic. It was beginning to get harder for her to breathe. "Don't you remember your best friend?" Then a figure started to emerge from the darkness. She waited for it to come closer so she could see who it was. And what she saw shocked her.

"Liam? Is that-" She swallowed hard then closed her eyes. "No. No! It's not you! This isn't real!" She screamed as she gripped her hair. "Wake up, Mel. Wake up!"

"Melissa, it's me. Open your eyes. I'm here." Liam said.

"No! It's just a dream, Melissa. Wake up!" She started to hyperventilate and she started to feel the ground beneath her shake. She gripped her hair harder. "WAKE UP!"

Melissa woke up with a start, sweat dripping from her forehead, and tears streaming down her face. She recalled her dream and started to sob. Liam was the person who saved her but eventually became the one who broke her. Every time she would have an emotional breakdown, she would dream about her parents' death, then she'd dream about him after. It was the most painful thing for her.

She looked at the clock on her wall and saw that she'd already missed two of her classes. She decided to skip the whole day since she was still too tired from her dream.

Melissa stood up and went to the bathroom to take a shower and brush her teeth. She avoided looking at the mirror because she knew that what she would see will only bring her back to the state she was in the previous night.

After taking a shower, she headed to her room to change into a pair of jeans and a hoodie.  She thought that it would be a good idea to visit her parents' grave. When she was done changing, she headed straight to the cemetery.

"Hey mom, hey dad." She started as she sat on the grass. "How are you guys? I hope you're having a fun time up there." She paused, not knowing what to say anymore. "Um, I haven't heard from Jason yet. I don't... really know if he knows that I'm still here. Brandon's still in jail. I don't know if he hates me or not. I haven't really visited him since.... Liam, um, left." She swallowed hard, suddenly finding it hard to breathe. She scratched her neck and continued. "I haven't saved enough money to get a lawyer for Brandon. I'm thinking about quitting school so I don't have to spend the money I earn for school fees."

Her eyes were starting to well up with tears. "I really miss you guys. I know I already told you that last night but I really, really miss you. I don't know what to do anymore. I just feel like everything and everyone is ganging up on me. I feel like everything is trying to drag me down." She sobbed.

"I don't know how much longer I can hold on because all of this is just too much for me to bear. I want to look for Jason but I don't know where to start. I want to get Brandon out of jail but I don't know how. I just want to know if they're okay. I just want to see them again. I want to be with you guys. I want my family back. God, please, I just want my family back!" She continued to cry and it's as if the weather can feel how she feels. Dark clouds slowly invaded the sky and a few moments later, rain started to pour but she didn't care. She let her tears flow down with the raindrops. Slowly, she laid on the ground and for the first time in years, she felt at home. She could feel her parents' presence, their warmth, their love. For the first time in years, she felt happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! So this is the first chapter. I hope you guys liked it :) If you want to, comment what you guys thought of the first chapter. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for reading and I hope you guys have a great day :)
PS. Like I said in the prologue, if you have any suggestions for the cover, feel free to comment or message me your ideas :)
QUESTION: What kind of music do you listen to? Like what genre? Tell me your answers on the comment box! :)
THANKS AGAIN FOR READING, AND I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY! :)

Melissa's POV

Hey! This is Liam, I can't answer the phone right now, so, leave a message.

"Lee, where are you? I've been waiting outside the mall for thirty minutes. We're going to miss the movie." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Call me as soon as you get this. Bye." I hung up and sighed again.

Liam has been my best friend for ten years. I met him when we were in fifth grade. He was the new student, and everyone was curious about who he was. Except me. I didn't really pay attention to events in school because I was busy minding my own business. Apparently, he didn't like dealing with a lot of people so he hid from everyone. And I guess we were kind of destined to see each other because what do you know? The place he hid from everyone was the same place I went to, to hide from everyone as well. At first, I was kind of mad at him for discovering my hiding place, but I eventually got used to him being there and all of a sudden we were best friends.

I sighed for like the hundredth time. I looked at my phone again then looked around. It was really bothering me that Liam hasn't showed up yet. Liam was never  late. I started to think of the worst but I quickly shook those thoughts away. Don't think so negatively, Mel. Don't go there.

I sighed again, then called him again. I was sent to voicemail again, then I left a quick message telling him that I'll be waiting for him inside the mall because it was beginning to get colder outside.

I went inside and just looked around, not really knowing where to go. I began to wander and just headed to where my feet took me. I wandered for about fifteen minutes, constantly checking my phone. When I grew tired, I sat on the nearest bench and called Liam again. Still, there was no answer, and I was, again, sent to voicemail.

"Liam, I'm inside the mall. Tell me if we're still going to see the movie or not so I know when to go home. I've been waiting for you for almost an hour." I sighed and scratched my neck. "Please tell me you're okay. Text me or call me as soon as you get this please. I love you."

As I said, Liam and I have been best friends for ten years. And we've been dating for almost a year now. We started dating just a few weeks before we graduated high school. The day he asked me to be his girlfriend was the happiest I've been since my parents died. We go to the same university and take the same course. Most of the students tell us that we're the cutest couple in the campus, and I'd blush whenever a student comes up to us and tells us that. Liam would just laugh at me, thank the student, put a hand on my shoulder then take me somewhere else.

I waited for a few more minutes for Liam's call but it never came. I was getting tired so I texted him telling him that I was on my way home. I stood up from the bench and walked home.

I arrived home after ten minutes and I still haven't received a single call or text from Liam. I was really starting to get worried. Liam was never late and he always replies or calls me back immediately because he always has his phone with him. I texted him saying that I got home safely, but he didn't reply. My heart was pounding at this point. I didn't want to think so negatively but I can't help it.

Relax, Mel. Maybe he was just tired and he fell asleep. Maybe his mom asked him to do something for her. Maybe he was doing his homework. Maybe he was studying for a test. Maybe he needed to rush something. There are a lot of things that he could be possibly doing right now. Don't assume anything. Don't assume the worst.

I tried to convince myself but it wasn't helping. I went inside my apartment and tried calling Liam's house, but no one answered. I called again and again, but it seems like no one was home. That made me more nervous than I ever was. So I went back outside and walked to Liam's house. When I got there, the house was dark. No lights were turned on and there were no cars parked in their driveway.

"Weird. Liam didn't tell me they were going out of town." I muttered. I looked at my phone again.

No texts. No calls. Where are you, Liam?

--------------------------

Chapter two is done! What do you guys think? What do you think is the reason why Liam is avoiding her? And what do you think about Melissa so far? Don't forget to vote and comment what you guys think! :)
QUESTION: Which do you prefer? Heels or sneakers?
I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED THIS CHAPTER! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! I HOPE YOU GUYS HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY! KEEP SMILING :) <3

Melissa's POV

It's been three days since the last time I spoke to Liam. I've been going to school alone, and a lot of people have been asking me the same question over and over again.

"Where's Liam?"

"Hey, Melissa! Where's Liam? I'm surprised you two aren't together today."

"Hey, where's your boyfriend?"

"Is Liam okay? I haven't seen him in three days. Where is he?"

All I would do was smile and tell them that he was sick. What else could I tell them? Because frankly, I don't have an answer for their questions.

I was on my way to my last period when I received a text. I immediately brought out my phone, hoping that it was Liam. But my hope was quickly shattered when I saw that it was only a text from my classmate in Art. I sighed and walked to my last period feeling more sad that I already was.

An hour later, I was on my way home, still feeling down. I wasn't even paying attention in class because I was so worried about Liam and his family. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know if I should go to the police and ask them for help, but I'm not a hundred percent sure if they would help me. First of all, I don't know if something bad happened to them. I don't know if they just went out of town for some family bonding or whatever and Liam just forgot to tell me. And text me. For three days. And second of all, I don't want to be that clingy girlfriend that will need every detail of every action that my boyfriend makes. What if they were just out of town for some family bonding and Liam thinks that I'm beginning to get clingy?

I shook away my thoughts when I arrived home. When I got inside my apartment, I immediately went to my room and changed my clothes. I was thinking whether or not I should try contacting Liam again, and after a few minutes, I decided to call him.

Hey! This is Liam. I can't answer the phone right now, so, leave a message.

Okay. So I know that Liam's phone is on, because it rang before it sent me to voicemail. He just wasn't picking up. I tried to call him again three times, but I just keep getting sent to voicemail. When I tried to call him for the last time, I know he turned his phone off because all I heard were long beeping sounds. My heart was shattered to pieces.

That night, I wasn't able to sleep because I kept thinking that Liam was purposely trying to avoid me. I didn't know why. I don't know what I did wrong. I don't know what happened. What changed? Does he not love me anymore? Did he find someone better than me? Did he think that I wasn't worth it anymore? What do I lack? All these questions keep popping up in my head. I tried to push them away but it kept coming. I didn't want to lose my best friend. They were all I had. I don't want to be alone again.

I don't want to be alone.

---------------------------