Something Under The Willow Tree | Teen Ink

Something Under The Willow Tree

By kiepolesky, Richland Center, Wisconsin
kiepolesky, Richland Center, Wisconsin

" Twirl, Twirl, Twirl. Girls you are doing great." said Madam Sarah Lee. I looked as if I might fall over if I twirled anymore. " Madam, my feet are getting really tired. Can I please stop twirling?" A little girl named Cynthia said. " No Cynthia, you mustn't stop until I tell you to. That goes for the rest of you girls too." Madam Sarah replied to Cynthia. " Yes, Madam Sarah Lee." We all replied. I didn't like it here at this torturous prison. How dare she talk to us this way. How dare she make us twirl all the time. How dare she make us write diaries. Most of all, How dare she make me personal her favorite. I never will and I refuse to ever work up to her standards. Just because she wasn't loved by all the people in the world. Doesn't make us her prime victims. It all started when I was just a small girl. My father and mother had both died of a severe case of the influenza virus. When they died I had no other family members who wanted me because they had figured I would die soon after. I didn't but they sent me off to this orphanage at the age of three. The orphanage being called at the time" Auntie Sarah's Home for Girls". My aunts and uncles I will never ever forgive for the rest of my life for sending me to this god forsaken place. I will forever remember their cowardly acts until till my last breath. They wanted nothing to do with me. Well, I may have only been three when they abandoned me but they would never recognize me now. I am more like my mother in facial features with my brown eyes and my beautiful pale skin with a bridge of freckles on my nose. My mouth looked like the mouth of a very shy girl. My hair line so similar and so unique to my mothers. The hair upon my head was the color of beautiful brown like hazelnuts or chestnuts. My body was slender and petite perfect for a ballerina. So, I took advantage of the wonderful opportunity I had to do. I signed up for ballerina lessons and let my legs take over I guess. I never really understood how people could just judge a book by its cover because if they did that to me. They'd find a whole different story on the inside. That's what I love about reading books. Some stories will bore you till your mind cant take it anymore. Others just get your mind so pumped up you cant put the book down. Well anyways I better go downstairs and do more twirling. By the way my name is Brooklyn Shattered. but you can just call me Bookie.

It all started the day I couldn't go to ballet practice. My ballet teacher Ms. Steiner told me I shall never be late again or I will never complete my dreams of  being a professional ballerina in The New York Ballet Inc. or going on Broadway to perform the Nutcracker or Swan Lake. Those were my dreams but those dreams were crushed when my ballet teacher said I didn't put in enough effort to be a professional ballerina and that I was lucky if I made it  to performing ever in a ballet recital in the spring. I was heart broken and then I screamed " I quit. I never liked you Ms. Steiner anyway and if I ever comeback it was because I didn't have a choice." I walked up to her tore my tutu of my body threw at her and stomped on her foot. Meanwhile getting glares from everyone in the room. As soon as I walked out the door of the studio room I was in the Ballet director Mrs. Olson walked up to me and said " You were never welcome here you rotten orphan. I hope you never ever comeback." I walked away from her and opened the set of double doors and ran into the parking lot. As I ran I thought of my actions and what I had just done. I had just basically ruined my life because unfortunately life had another obstacle. I ran back to the orphanage and the receptionist at the front desk said " Your parents are here to pick you up now." " Huh, what parents I have none and you know this. That's why I am here." I answered wondering what she was talking about. " Oh, sorry Brooklyn. Didn't realize it was you." she answered back. I walked towards the stairs and sat down on my bed and looked at it and noticed something new. " I guess another one of the girls left again because they left something on my bed again." I thought in my head. You see I was one of the only kids left those days. Most of the girls got adopted by people needing daughters to help cook and clean so the woman could get other jobs and shop and have ladies nights out. I didn't know who left but was pretty sure it wasn't  one of the kids like me who had been here for about 10 years. But I guess that's what you get when your always gone because you used to go to ballet everyday. But now I have a greater chance of getting adopted. Then I happened to look closer at the note and saw a name I knew very well. It was my mother's name  Rosalie Shattered. The note said: Brooklyn I hope you never have to feel the way I do right now. I am sorry your father and I faked our deaths. We thought your aunts and uncles would take  you in and make you their own. But they didn't and now you are here. I hope you are not too mad at as. We were just not ready to be parents at the time that we left you. I should have never left you as a 1 1/2 year old outside your Uncle Harold's front door. I as a parent am heart broken that I ever did that to you. Forgive us Brooklyn Rae Shattered. We will see each other at the park at 6:00 pm under the Willow Tree on September 23rd. Be there my love. Stay strong. Love, your mom and dad or Rosalie and Fredrickson Shattered.  
I will always remember the day I ran away from something  I loved because the next day was a new beginning.

After sleeping for about 4 hours it was time. It was my time to meet my parents and go home. But then I saw the time 5:49. I would never make it on time so I told the receptionist that if I come back I will never ever believe any note on my bed again. If I come back with two adults sign the rights over to them. I then walked out the doors of the orphanage and walked on to the sidewalk towards the park. I walked for what seemed like 5 minutes and then heard a voice calling my name. It was coming from the willow tree near the lake across the street. From the sidewalk it looked as if a bunch of humans were there. One screaming my name over and over again and again. I walked over towards the voice and then saw it a little girl with a couple like the couple that the receptionist described as my parents. " Who are you? Why are you here? Don't harm my family! We are here waiting for our daughter Brooklyn Shattered to come. Unless are you Brooklyn?" The man asked me. " Yes, I am Brooklyn and who is the little girl?" I said looking at them. " Oh, I guess we forgot to mention that you have a little sister named Hazel Rae Shattered. She was born about 5 years ago. We had finally figured out that we had wanted to be parents and had Hazel. We only just thought of you because Hazel the other day had said that she wanted a sibling and then we said you have a sibling named Brooklyn. Sao then we ad to get you back so yeah." My mom said looking at me. " What do you mean just wanted to be parents again. YOU COULD HAVE BEEN PARENTS WITH ME AS THE CHILD AND STILL HAD HAZEL!!!!!!" I yelled and screamed at the top of my lungs. " BROOKLYN RAE SHATTERED! DO NOT THINK WE NEVER WANTED YOU. WE WERE TOO YOUNG. I WAS ONLY 17 WHEN I HAD YOU. I WAS 27 WHEN I HAD HAZEL." My mom yelled at me and started crying. Now I had to walk away. I couldn't live with a family that never wanted me at all but now had to take me away from my life just so Hazel could have a sibling. I walked 10 steps away from them and Hazel ran and grabbed my legs. " Bring me with you Bookie peas." Hazel said. I then knew instantly she wasn't going to stand our parents either so of course I took her with. So when I got back to the orphanage Madam Sarah Lee looked at me and saw I had a little friend. " So, who is your little friend there Brooklyn." she asked me. " My name is Hazel Shattered. I am a five year old. This is my sister Bookie." Hazel said looking at Madam as if she were a unicorn. " Take your little sister up stairs Brooklyn." Madam Sarah Lee said looking at me nearly laughing at Hazel.