Fairytale | Teen Ink

Fairytale

By Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
Anon.Writer SILVER, Loveland, Ohio

I grew up in French countryside, with my mother.
My mother was a beautiful woman, everyone said so. She was tall, elegant, she had dark, brown ringlets, and the most beautiful smile in France. But she was more than beautiful. She was kind, honest, compassionate, intelligent, and loving. I love my mother, dearly. But things we love so much, have a way of leaving us. My mother died, two years ago.
She went to court to visit my father, but on the way there, she became ill and died, shortly afterwards. The whole court went into morning for her, but no one grieved more than I did. My mother was more than a mother to me, she was my best friend, my advisor, and my refuge. No one is ever going to replace her. I have moved on, in a way. I have a best friend, an advisor, and a refuge. But there are not all the same thing. My best friend is not my advisor, and so on and so forth.
When my mother died, I remained at the family country estate, and my father remained at court.
Everyone says that my father loved my mother, but he never morned her. He didn't cry, he didn't get angry, or even upset. He became nothing, and maybe that is worse.
For two years, I have lived without my mother, and nothing has changed since then. But now my father has decided to remarry. He is going to marry Duchess De Berger, who has two daughters.
I must admit, I don't want him to marry again. It seems disloyal to my mother. I know it isn't, but it feels like betrayal.
I am trying to be happy about it, after all I will gain a mother and two sisters, but I am not happy.
I sit in the meadow, thinking about all of this, when a bell begins to toll. I start, and get up. the bell means that the shepherds are coming in from the fields and I need to get home. I start back towards home, but I don't go too quickly. I walk slowly, through the meadow.
Yesterday, my father is got married, again. They are having the wedding at court, and I was not invited. I received a letter from my father saying, that they want to have me there, but I am too young to come yet.
This is nonsense. I am nineteen years old, and I am perfectly able to go to court. But of course, I won't tell me that.
I can see the house from here, and I remember walking this hill, with my mother.
No, I am not going to think about her, tonight. She is not being replaced, and mother would want father to be happy again.
I see a carriage in the distance, and it is headed this way.
I turn, and run down the hill.
They are coming, and soon I will met the people in charge of my life.

I run into the house, and bound up the stairs, ignoring all the scoldings I get for doing so. I run to my room, and put on a clean dress.
I want to impress my new...whatever she is. I can't call her mother, but I don't know what to call her either.
I look at myself in the mirror.
I have my father's blue eyes, my mother's dark hair, and high cheek bones.
I don't look like either my mother or my father. I am simply, me.
I hear the carriage pull up to the house, and new voices.
I walk down the stairs, and out into the sunlight.
My father stands away from everything, just observing life happening all around him, but not participating in it.
I feel a stab of longing for my mother, and look away.
There are three women standing in the middle of everything, doing nothing, but getting in the way of everybody.
I sigh, and walk over to the women.
The woman on the left, is short, has brownish-blonde hair, a pinched nose, and brown eyes.
The woman in the middle, is clearly the oldest. She is not tall, short, fat, thin, pretty, or plain. She is the time of person, that is there, without doing anything at all.
The woman on the right, is tall, has blonde hair, and green eyes.
They all look at me as I walk up to them.
"Good evening, Madam. I am Amelia De Bellerose.", I say, trying to be polite.
"Oh, yes. You must be my step daughter.", the woman in the middle says.
"Yes, Madam.", I say.
"This are my daughters Agatha, and Daphne.", my step mother said.
Agatha turns out to be the woman on the left, and that makes Daphne, the woman on the right.
"It is very nice to meet you. If you like, I will show you inside.", I say, making an effort to be nice.
"Yes, that would be nice.", she said.
I lead her into the house, and into a parlor, where they could wait for my father.
I decided to call my step mother, Duchess.
We all sit in silence, no one knowing what to say.
We just met, but now we are family. What do people in that situation talk about? I don't know, so I decide to start talking, and see what happens.
I launch myself into conversation, picking the most readily available topic, the weather. We are still trying to make this a conversation, when my father walks into the room. We all fall silent, and I feel his gaze fall on me.
"Amelia, show your sisters to their rooms.", he said, in a low rumble.
I get up, and my step-sisters follow me. I lead them to their bedrooms, and linger there.
I want to talk to them, perhaps we could be friends.
"Is your father always like this?", Agatha asks.
"I don't know. I don't know him very well. When I was growing up, he was usually at court, and after my mother died, he stopped coming here all together.", I say, quietly.
"Do you miss your mother very much?", Daphne asks.
"Yes, we were very close.", I said, softly.
"I understand. Our father died, last year. I was close to him, and I still miss him very much.", Daphne says.
They are sitting on Daphne's bed, and I am standing next to it.
"Come sit with us, and we will talk together.", Daphne says.
I sit down on the bed, and we begin to talk.
Now, that we have both admitted to missing our dead parents, things are different.
We talk and laugh, for hours.
It feels good to have them here, and maybe Duchess won't be so bad either.

After one week, my father left for court. I knew he wouldn't stay long, but I hoped he would.
The house hold settled into a routine. Agatha, Daphne, and I would have lessons all morning, and have the afternoon to ourselves. Nothing changed, and I like my life.
Having a stepmother and sisters changed everything, but I like having sisters, and Duchess is not so bad.
I walked through the meadow, remembering how just a few months ago, I walked here dreading the arrival of my step sisters and Duchess.
"Amelie! Amelie!", Daphne called, running through the meadow to me.
"What is it?", I ask, smiling at her hurry.
"We got a invitation from the castle. There is to be a masquerade ball for the prince, and we are invited.", Daphne explained, excitedly.
"The prince?", I say, thinking out loud.
"Yes, the prince. Prince Aldric is coming back to France. He left years ago, and traveled around Europe. But he is coming back to learn to rule France. The ball is for him to find a wife. He will chose one of the women there to be his princess, and later, his queen!", Daphne squealed.
"Are we going to go?", I ask, only half serious.
"Of course, we are going to go! Come to the house with me, there is so much to do!", Daphne says, linking her arm in mine, and dragging me after her.
Weeks pass in busy preparation for the ball.
I never thought there could be so much to do, for a ball.
We had to buy dresses, buy shoes, find accessories, hire a carriage, and get ready to leave the estate.
As much as I want to see the world, I feel reluctant to leave the estate. I have lived here my entire life. When my mother was alive, I was content to stay here for awhile, but now that she is gone, everything seems so stifling.
The day came for us to leave, and we did, just that.
We rode in the carriage for hours and hours, but finally we reached the palace.
Versailles is bigger than I would have thought possible. The enormity of it is overwhelming, but the beauty of it is indescribable.
While the others are getting everything unpacked, and sent to our rooms, I stare at my surroundings.
I admit it, I gawked at just about everything, but so much deserved attention.
How could Prince Aldric leave this place? This is amazing!
"Amelie, come along.", Duchess called.
I follow the others, and find much more to gawk at. But they keep moving, barely noticing anything.
We arrive at a set of rooms, that are empty and we stay in them. Daphne explains that they are ours to use. I don't know why we need so many sitting rooms, and Daphne explains that each one has a different purpose.
I am throughly confused by everything. But they seem to take it in stride, so I try to as well.
Stepmother goes to look for Father, and we gather in Agatha's room to talk....really just gossip.
"I am so nervous for tonight!", Agatha exclaims.
"Don't be! They say that Prince Aldric is very nice.", Daphne says, always the source of all our court gossip.
I have never been here, so I don't know anything, and Agatha is not the gossip type.
"But is it just an act?", I wonder, out loud.
"I don't know, I have never met him. But we will find out for ourselves tonight.", Daphne says.
We all fall silent, and think about the ball.
Time flies by, and soon, too soon we are ready for the ball.
My gown is a dark blue silk, with silver embroidery, and pearl accessories, which includes my mask. Daphne begged me to wear something fancier, but this seems to say who I am. I want to show people who I am.
Daphne wears a pale pink silk gown, with gold embroidery, and diamond accessories.
Agatha's gown is red silk, with gold embroidery, and diamond accessories.
We all share nervous glances, and then walk as bravely as we can to the ball room.

The ball room is huge. I am not the only one who thinks, so either.
Chandeliers light the room, as well as candles on tables. Music is playing quietly, so that you can hear it, but you can also hear people talking. People mix together forming circles, and then leaving them, so that they room is made up of circles.
I find in the back of the room, sits what I guess to be the royal family.
The queen is tall, regal, and cold. She has black hair, and black eyes. The king looks kind, friendly, and warm. He has light, blonde hair, and blue eyes.
I spot someone I have never seen before, but I guess who it is.
"Prince Aldric.", I breathe.
Prince Aldric is sitting beside his parents talking to a girl, who is kneeling in front of him. There is a long line of girls to talk to him, I see.
Prince Aldric has golden curls, bright, blue eyes, and a kind look in his eyes.
Stepmother instructs us to wait in line to speak to the prince, while she mingles with the courtiers.
We join the line, and talk amongst ourselves.
"He is handsome.", Agatha says.
"Yes, he is! What do you think, Amelie?", Daphne asks.
"I think that he looks goo, but that he could be a beast. We don't know, yet.", I say, diplomatically.
"Yes, he is really a monster. You found out his secret, Amelie.", Daphne teases.
We laugh, not because it is really funny. But because we need to laugh away our nervousness, and it works.
We chat, as we work our way up the line, and soon it is our turn.
We curtsy as we are supposed to.
I don't dare to look up, or even get up. But then Daphne links arms with me, and hauls me up, without it showing.
Prince Aldric looks exhausted, and who can blame him. I find myself sympathizing, and try to snap out of it.
"It is a pleasure to meet you all.", Prince Aldric says, it sounds like he is rehearsing a speech.
"The pleasure is all mine.", I say, looking up into his eyes for the first time.
"What is your name?", Prince Aldric asks me.
"Why do you want to know, Your Grace?", I ask, boldly.
I really shouldn't have asked, but I can't seem to stop myself.
"In order that I may use it, and identify you.", Prince Aldric, replies.
He doesn't sound angry, but more of pleased.
"You can call me anything that you wish, I don't see why you need to me to tell you what to call me. As for identifying me, I never said, that I wanted to be identified.", I say.
I wish I could take it all back, but I can't.
Prince Aldric laughes, and the whole room becomes silent.
"I don't know if I am in your debt or if I should be punishing you. On one hand you refuse to tell me your name, but on the other hand you have made me laugh for the first time, in I don't know how long. Thank you, my mysterious lady.", Prince Aldric says, with a smile playing on his lips.
"You may go, now.", the king says, taking pity on us.
We curtsy and walk away, but I still feel Prince Aldric's eyes on me. When every I turn around, I see him watching me, he will give me half a smile, and I will turn away.
We talk about different things, until the music stops. Everyone falls silent. Daphne explains that the prince has finally made it through all the women, and is now going to dance with one of them. Whoever he dances with is probably going to be his bride.
Prince Aldric walks confidently through the room, and he is headed to the back. He stops in front of me.
"Will you do me the honor of dancing with me?", he asks, formally, but kindly.
"The honor is all mine.", I manage to say, and I take the hand he offers me.
The music begins to play, and I struggle to remember the steps.
"Why have I never seen you before?", Prince Aldric asks me, quietly.
"I have never left my family's estate, before today, and you haven't been there.", I say, softly.
"But that means you have never been to court, before. This must be quite a transition.", Prince Aldric says.
"Yes, it is a transition, Your Grace.", I say, trying to be polite and dance.
He seems to notice my inability to dance well, and he stops talking. But a part of me wishes we were still talking.
The music ends, and the crowd gets thick.
"Come with me.", Prince Aldric says, standing at my elbow. I can feel his breath on my neck.
I let him lead me out of the ball room, and out into the night air.
"I can't be in there for long periods. I get cramped, so I come out here.", Prince Aldric says, smiling a little.
"It is so beautiful here.", I say, gazing up at the stars.
"Isn't better in the country?", Prince Aldric asks, amused.
"It depends what you think of as better. It is different yes. Everything is simpler there, but complexity can be beautiful too.", I say, unable to look at him.
"You are a diplomat.", Prince Aldric says.
"You are better judge than I am, Your Grace.", I say, quietly.
"You don't have to call me 'Your Grace', or anything like that, not when we are alone. I like to hear people use my name, it reminds me that I am a person.", Prince Aldric says, with his small smile.
"Than I will call you, Prince Aldric.", I tease.
Then I think about what I just said. That's so stupid. I can't tease a prince. I am pretty sure I could get beheaded for this.
Aldric smiles, not a little polite or amused smile, but an actual smile. He has a wonderful smile.
We stand together, without talking for a minute.
"Tell me about yourself, my mysterious lady.", Aldric says, suddenly.
"What do you mean?", I ask, flustered.
"Tell me about who you are, what you like, and what you don't like. I want to know you, and I don't know when I will get to see you again.", Aldric says, quietly.
"But what if I only tell you lies? I could say that I am beautiful, charming, perfect, clever, and graceful. But that doesn't mean it is true.", I say, smiling slightly.
"Its true, you could lie to me. Everyone tonight is lying in some way. In their appearance, or spreading rumors. It is my job to find out who is lying, and who is trustworthy. You could lie, and get away with it. But I don't think you will.", Aldric says, softly.
"You're right, I won't lie. But I can't give you the answers you want to hear. I am just me. I am not beautiful, charming, perfect, clever, or graceful. I am simply, me. I try to be honest, kind, and wise. But I often fail.", I say, softly.
I looked down at my toes, and I see Aldric's feet, walk up to mine.
"Do you want to know what I think?", Aldric asks.
I nod, still looking down.
"I think you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. You are charming, witty, and full of grace. You may not be a courtier's version of perfect, but you are perfect to me.", Aldric says, cupping my face with his hand, and lifting my head.
I meet his gaze, and I forget he is a prince.
Aldric's face is close to mine, and I forget how to breathe.
The clock begins to toll, announcing that it is midnight.
"I have to go.", I say, quietly.
I step away from Aldric, and begin to walk away.
"Wait! Please, wait!", Aldric calls, running after me.
I am tempted to run far away from this place, but I force myself to walk.
"Wait. Don't go yet!", Aldric pleads.
Aldric has caught up with me, and matches my pace.
"I can't stay.", I say, more to myself than to him.
"Why do you have to go?", Aldric asks, he gestures as he talks.
I see that he wants me to stay, and he is getting upset. But I have to go.
"I am leaving tomorrow. I need to rest.", I say.
This is partly true, I am going home tomorrow, but really I am leaving Aldric, because I am scared of my father.
"You're leaving tomorrow?", Aldric asks, in a strange tone.
"Yes, I have to go back to the country.", I say.
I can see the ball room, and hear the music.
"But that means, I will never see you again.", Aldric says, in soft, almost broken voice.
"Yes, it does. But that is how it must be.", I say, pausing to look at him.
"I don't want you to go. I can't let you go.", Aldric says, quietly.
He looks into my eyes, and I have to look away.
"I am sorry, Aldric.", I say, and enter the ball room.
People make way for me, and walk through the room, and go back to my room. Daphne and Agatha follow me back to the rooms.
When I was walking through the ball room, I looked back once, and I saw Aldric was watching me with the saddest eyes, I have ever seen.
It broke my heart to see him, like that and know that it is my fault, but I can't help it.

Daphne and Agatha left me alone, and I laid on my bed, and thought about Aldric.
I want to stay, but I can't be with him. Father is angry enough that I came here, for the ball. I can't stay here permanently, and there is no point in getting attached to Aldric and then leaving him. I have to separate myself from him, even if that means he hates me. Besides we would never have gotten married anyway I am just me, and I am not a princess, let alone queen.
I fall asleep on the bed, still in my ball gown, but I have taken off my accessories.
I wake up to a knock on my door.
"Come in.", I groan.
Daphne comes in, carrying a breakfast tray.
"I come bearing food, which I will give you, in exchange for gossip.", Daphne says, sitting on my bed.
"What gossip?", I ask.
"Everyone is asking who you are, and no one knows the answer, not even the prince. What happened last night?", Daphne says.
I sit up, and yawn.
"I danced with Prince Aldric, then we talked for a bit, and then I left. Give me the food.", I say, reaching for the tray.
"That information doesn't count. I want details!", Daphne commands, holding the tray out of my reach.
I tell her everything that happened, and she gave me the tray.
"He must really like you.", Daphne says, thoughtfully.
"I doubt it. I was rude, and uncivilized.", I say, regretting the things I said last night.
"He liked you then, and likes you now!", Daphne insisted.
I let the matter drop, and I eat, thoughtfully.
"Come on, Amelie. You have to get dressed, we are going to leave soon.", Daphne says, taking the empty tray away.
I get up, wash myself, and get dressed.
Daphne rushes in, without knocking.
"Daphne, you should knock!", I say, surprised.
"I need to talk to you! Prince Aldric is searching for the mysterious lady, from the ball. He has ordered that no one leave the palace, until he finds her. He is throwing another ball, to see if she will come. Don't you see? He is desperately trying to find you! You have to tell him everything.", Daphne says, excitedly.
I sit down, unable to keep my balance to stand.
Aldric is looking for me?
"Daphne, he can't find me. I can't let him find me. Father hates the monarchy, and if he finds out that I am the mystery girl, then I will never come back. I have to separate myself from Aldric, so that neither of us can get more attached.", I explain.
"But Amelie, you love him, don't you? You called him by his first name. He loves you, and you love him. You can't leave him, without at least, giving him a reason.", Daphne argues, gently.
I think about this.
"You're right he deserves to know why I am leaving, but he can't know who I am.", I say.
"You can talk to him at the ball tonight. We will make you look like a queen!", Daphne says.
The rest of the day is spent in getting ready for the ball, and for me, worrying about the ball.
I look at myself in the mirror.
My gown for tonight is silver silk, with a silver mask. It glitters in the light, and I feel beautiful.
But I also feel like a liar. I am not really like this, but somehow I am.
I don't know who I am anymore.
Daphne opens the door.
"Are you ready to go?", she asks, gently.
"No, but lets go.", I say.
Daphne links arms, with me, and we walk to the ball room.
I pause outside the doors, and take a deep breath.
It will be okay, he probably won't notice me at all.
The doors open, and I walk inside.
I find Prince Aldric right away, and I notice that he once again has a long line of girls, all wearing dark blue gowns.
The room becomes quiet, as I walk into the room. I am somewhat late, so the doors were shut, when I came in. When the doors opened, everyone looked up.
Prince Aldric stands up, and comes to me.
"You came.", he whispers, so only I can hear.
"Yes, I did.", I said.
I want to tell him that he should let people out of the castle, not hold me prisoner, and many other things. But the words get stuck in my throat, and I can't tell him.
"Will you dance with me?", Aldric asks, as the music begins to play.
"Yes.", I say.
Aldric leads me to the middle of the room, and puts one hand on my waist, and the other hand holds my hand.
We spin around the room, and I feel like I am floating in air.
The song ends, but it seems like it just started.
I let my arms fall away from Aldric, and I look down at the ground.
"Come with me, please.", Aldric says, taking my hand.
He leads me back to the open terrace, where we talked last night.
Once we get there, he turns to look at me, with the sad expression from last night.
"Aldric, I need to talk to you.", I say, softly.
He nods, and I realize that he is still holding my hand. But I don't mind, in fact I enjoy it.
"I owe you an explanation. I left last night, because I am scared. I am scared of developing feelings for you, and then leaving. I thought it would be easier, if we didn't know each other very well, when I leave.", I say, quietly.
"But what if you don't go? What if you stay here, with me forever?", Aldric asks, taking my other hand, so that he has both of my hands.
"I can't stay.", I say, reluctantly.
"Why? Is it me?", Aldric asks.
"No, it is not you. It is my father. He doesn't want me to even be here, and he will be furious if I stay.", I say, choosing my words carefully.
Aldric sighs, and rests his forehead against mine.
"If you can't stay, will you do one thing for me?", Aldric asks.
"Yes, I will do anything I can.", I say, eagerly.
"Then, tell me your name.", Aldric says.
"Aldric, I can't tell you that. I am sorry. I promised I wouldn't tell you my name, and I won't break that promise.", I say, softly.
"I can't let you go.", he says, so quietly that I almost don't hear him.
I don't answer him, instead I just close my eyes, and lean against Aldric.
He lets go of my hands, and wraps his arms around me. I put my arms around his shoulders, and rest my head on his shoulder.
After a minute, I pull away from Aldric, and left the terrace. Aldric didn't follow me, this time.
I walked back to my room, and tried to think of what to do.

The next morning, I wake up to Daphne knocking on my door, again.
"Did you tell him?", Daphne asks, immediately.
"Yes, I told him. But I don't think he is going to let anyone out yet.", I say, quietly.
"He still won't let you go?", Daphne asks.
"I don't think so.", I say, lost in thought.
I get dressed, and stay in my room for the day, and that night, I walk out to the gardens.
It is beautiful out here, and I walk along the path, slowly. I come upon a small alcove, that is hidden off to the side. I step into it, but I almost walk out again, when I see who is inside. Aldric stands in the alcove, looking away from the entrance. I walk to him, but he doesn't hear me come up to him. I put my hand on the inside of his elbow, and he starts. He turns around, and freezes. He looks at me for a minute, and then pulls me into his arms.
"You're here.", he whispers, in my ear.
"We need to talk.", I say.
He pulls away, but holds my hand, as if he is afraid I will disappear if he lets go of me.
"Can I talk to you as my friend, not you as a prince?", I ask, hoping he will understand what I mean.
"Yes.", he says, clearly bracing himself for the worst.
"I have not been completely truthful with you. But I am going to tell you the truth, now. My name is Amelie De Bellerose.
When we first met, I got caught up in the moment, an didn't think about the consequences of my being with you. I don't know why I didn't tell you my name, but then I was glad I didn't. When I left you, I was scared of my father. He doesn't approve of how the country is being run, and if he finds out that we are friends, he will do something terrible. I thought that if I left, you would forget about me, and move on.", I say, quietly.
Aldric is silent, he doesn't even look at me.
"Amelie De Bellerose.", Aldric says, softly.
He looks at me, intently.
"I haven't been completely honest either. But I am not going to wait another minute to tell you the truth. I love you, Amelie. I love you more than anyone else in the world. I know I have not known you for a long time, but somehow I feel that I have known you my entire life. I love you, my mysterious lady.", Aldric says, quietly.
I am speechless. I am so happy, but it feels like a dream.
For a minute, I sit there, stunned.
"I love you, Aldric.", I manage to say, after a minute.
Aldric pulls me close to him, and with one hand cupping my cheek, he kisses me.
The kiss is soft, tender, and passionate. But it is over way too quickly.
Aldric pulls back, and presses his forehead against mine.
"Amelie De Bellerose, will you marry me? I know we have problems, but we can work them out together. Please, say you will be mine.'', Aldric murmurs.
"Yes, I will marry you.", I say, breathlessly.
Aldric smile, with joy and relief, and he kisses me again, longer and more passionately than before.
I kiss him back, and he picks me up and spins me around. Aldric sets me down, and pulls away just enough so we can look at each other.
"Amelie, my Amelie.", Aldric whispers, smiling.
My smile fades away, and I look away.
"What is it, Amelie?", Aldric asks, worriedly.
"We can't be engaged, not yet. I still have to go home, and you have to stay here.", I say, reluctantly.
"You're right.", Aldric says, calming down.
But I can still see that he is overjoyed.
"What are we going to do, Aldric?", I ask.
"What if I tell my father part of this story. If I tell him who you are, that I want to marry you, and your father won't let us marry, Father will command that your father let us marry.", Aldric suggests.
"That would let us marry, but my father could still use this.", I say, trying to be calm.
"I am not going to let that happen, Amelie. I promise you. But we will ask him to go to his country estate, we will do it nicely, but he will have to stay there.", Aldric said, pulling me closer to him, and kissing the top of my head.
I wish my father would just give me his permission, but he won't.
"Alright. But let's ask my father's permission first, just in case.", I say, slowly.
"I will ask him, tomorrow. Right now, I just want to be with you.", Aldric says, kissing my cheek.
I smile, and he kisses my nose.
"I love you, Aldric.", I say, softly.
He closes his eyes, and smiles.
"I love it when you say it in that way.", Aldric says, opening his eyes.
"What way?", I ask.
"When you use my name, and say 'I love you'.", Aldric says, smiling.
"I love you, Aldric.", I say, smiling too.
Aldric kisses my forehead, my cheek, my nose, my other cheek, and finally my lips.
"I love you, Amelie.", Aldric whispers.
We stay in the alcove for a while, eventually emerging, and going our separate ways.

The next morning, I woke up to find my room is covered in flowers.
I am used now to servants coming in during the night to stir up the fire, and I am not surprised I didn't wake up.
I get up and walk around the room.
I studied plants awhile ago, and I know the meaning of flowers.
All these flowers have a similar meaning, love.
I smile, thinking of Aldric. I remember his confession of loving me, his lips on mine, and the feel of his arms around me.
Daphne knocks and comes in.
"What is all this?", Daphne asks, surprised.
"A present.",I say, simply.
"Its from Prince Aldric isn't it?", she asks, excitedly.
"Yes, I think so, but don't tell anyone.", I say, sitting on the bed.
"This is so romantic.", Daphne said, joining me on the bed.
"Please, let's change the subject.", I say, not wanting her to know of the engagement yet, and I don't want to lie or hide it from her either.
Daphne begins to chatter about people she has met, and things like that, while I get dressed.
"What are you planning on doing today?", Daphne asks, once I am done dressing.
Oh you know, announcing my engagement to the crown prince of France, probably getting disowned, by my father, and then maybe tea.
"I think I will take a walk, but I don't have a lot of solid plans.", I say, avoiding lying, by a hair.
Daphne chats with me for a little while longer, then leaves. I get up, and go to the alcove, where I met Aldric, yesterday.
Aldric is there waiting for me.
"Amelie, my love.", Aldric says, when he sees me.
"Aldric.", I say, happily.
He holds my hand, but we don't kiss or hug.
Kisses and hugs are special, and we aren't going to use them lightly.
"Are you ready to tell everyone?", Aldric asks, his eyes sparkling.
"Not in the slightest. But let's go, anyway.", I say, managing a small smile.
Aldric laughs, and kisses my hands.
"It is going to be alright, I promise.", Aldric says, seriously.
"You are going to have to stop promising me so much, or you will forget them.", I tease.
Aldric laughs again, and pulls me to him.
"You are going to have to stop making me laugh so much, or I promise you I will not stop laughing, ever.", Aldric says, smiling.
"Did you just tease me? That is not appropriate behavior for a prince.", I tease.
Aldric smiles, and together we walk back to the palace.
"I got your present, this morning.", I comment, smiling.
"Did you like it?", Aldric asks, grinning.
"It was wonderful. Thank you.", I say, reaching over to hold his hand.
We walk to the throne room, and I begin to get nervous.
Who am I to walk into a room, and announce I am going to marry a crown prince?
"Aldric, I can't do this.", I say, quietly.
We stop walking, and he turns to look at me.
"Amelie, this is going to be hard. A lot of people don't want you to do this, but I want you to more than all of them don't want you to. I am making no sense, but I think, you understand what I want to say, because you understand me.", Aldric says, his fingers intertwining with mine.
"Let's go."I say, gathering my courage.
Aldric smiles, and we walk into the throne room.
The room is full of people, including my family. I spot Daphne and Agatha standing together, and my stepmother and father are standing together off to the side.
Everyone turns to look at us, and the room falls silent.
Aldric doesn't stop walking, he goes first to my father.
"Duke De Bellerose, will you please come with us?", Aldric asks, coldly.
I try to make myself small, but I still feel my father's strong gaze boring into me.
"Yes, Your Majesty.", Father says, in his deep voice.
I notice that Aldric is treating my father coldly, and I wonder why.
Aldric turns, and still holding my hand, walks up to the thrones. He kneels on the ground, and the entire room follows him. I kneel at his side, and he squeezes my fingers, reassuringly.
"Aldric, what is this?", the queen asks, in bored tone.
"Mother and Father, when I came home, you asked me to find a wife. I have done more than that, I have fallen in love. I come before you, to announce my engagement to Amelie De Bellerose.", Aldric says, his clear voice carrying through the room. My father start, the queen glares at me, the king smiles, and the crowd begins to whisper. I can't see what Agatha and Daphne think, but I can ask them later.
"This is not what we had in mind, Aldric...", the queen begins, but the king interrupts.
"But this is better. I give this couple my blessing, and I am going to announce that I am taking the rest of the day off.", the king says, and then turns to Aldric and I. "Come with me."
King Louis lead us to a room in his private courters.
"Now, we can talk in peace.", the king says, shutting the door, behind us.
"Father, do you really approve of us?", Aldric asks, nervously.
I squeeze his hand, that I have still not let go of, yet.
"Yes, I do. I see how much you love this young woman, and I think she will make a good queen. But there are some people who will and are objecting. You will both have to be very careful, from now on.", King Louis, said, kindly.
"Thank you, Father. Do you have any advice for us?", Aldric says, with relief in his voice.
"Yes, I do. Get the people on your side, they will help you with the courtiers. Spend time with each other, you haven't known each other very long, and still need time together. Trust each other, and remember to be happy.", King Louis said, wisely."Now, I will have people leave you in peace, for today. I will go now."
King Louis left, and I turned to Aldric.
"We are engaged.", I say, trying to believe it.
"Not yet.", Aldric says.
"What do you mean?", I ask, confused.
Aldric pulls a ring out of his pocket, and looks up at me. He slips the ring on my finger, and smiles.
"Now, we are engaged.", Aldric says, still smiling.
Aldric leans forward and kisses me. His hand twists in my hair, as the other wraps around my waist, pulling me closer. I put one hand in his hair, and the other around his neck.
The kiss is over way too quickly, but we don't step out of each other's arms.
"Amelie, I love you.", Aldric murmurs.
"I love you too.", I whisper.
Aldric kisses my forehead, leaving a warm spot where his lips were.
There is a knock on the door, and I start to step away. But Aldric wraps his arm around my waist, holding me there, while he calls for the person to come in.
Daphne walks in, shyly.
"I am sorry to interrupt, but I was hoping to talk to you both.", Daphne says, quietly.
"Its fine, Daphne. Aldric, this is my sister, Daphne. Daphne, this is my fiancé, Aldric.", I say.
"It's nice to meet you again, Lady Daphne.", Aldric says, smiling.
"It's nice to meet you officially. But unfortunately, I didn't come here to meet you. Mother is pleased that you are going to marry, and she plans on using your new position in court, to her advantage. Father is furious, but I think he plans to hide it, for now.", Daphne says, seriously.
"I thought that Father would be angry, but what good would hiding it do?", I wonder, out loud.
"He will be allowed to stay at court. We can't ask him to leave, if he isn't causing a problem. ", Aldric explains, bitterly.
"It will be alright, Aldric. We will make it be alright. Daphne, thank you for warning me. I am going to have to ask you for a huge favor.", I say, trying to calm down.
"I will do anything I can for you.", Daphne says, loyally.
"Thank you. I want you to be my eyes and ears, in court. I want to know what people are saying, thinking, and planning. They won't talk about that, in front of me anymore. But they know you, and they will talk about it in front of you.", I say.
"I can do that, and I will. I have to go, before Mother suspects where I am. Goodbye.", Daphne says.
"Goodbye, Daphne. I will see you later. And thank you, for all your help.", I say, leaving Aldric's side to hug Daphne.
Daphne hugs me, and then leaves the room.
I turn to face Aldric, and I find that he is upset.
"Aldric, what's the matter?", I ask, walking to him.
"I wish that things didn't have to be so complicated for us.", Aldric says, softly.
This is the closest to complaining, I have ever heard Aldric get.
"I know things are hard, and they are only going to get harder. But we have each other, and I don't want to change that.", I say, trying to encourage him.
"You are right, Amelie.", Aldric says, kissing the top of my head.
We stayed together all day, which is in a word wonderful.
I wished the day would never end, but like I often say, things we love often have a way of ending.
I thought I would go back to my room, but Aldric said that I have new rooms, because now I am going to be the princess.
My new room is, if possible even nicer than my old room. The bed is huge, I have six sitting rooms, a bathroom, a bedroom, a library, and a common room. The windows over look the gardens, which is a beautiful sight. But the best part is it is next to Aldric's room.
I have a set of servants to attend me, which include five maids, two butlers, six ladies in waiting, and a governess. The governess isn't really a governess. Her title is instructor, but she acts like my governess. I need a governess, though. I am under constant, scrutiny, and I can not make a mistake.
I send a message to Daphne and Agatha, explaining that I can't come there, but I will see them soon.
I would tell them to come here, but I can't do that. I am not supposed to see them at all, but this is one rule I am going to ignore.
I am not going to lose my sisters, and that is final.

I wake up to the sun, poring in through the window. I blink rapidly, trying to dispel the heaviness in my eyelids.
"You must get up, Lady Amelie De Bellerose.", my governess, Lady Laurent said, briskly.
Lady Laurent is kind, but she will not stand for any nonsense. She is a great governess, but she can be strict.
"I am awake, now. ", I groan.
"I said you must get up, not wake up. Get out of bed.", Lady Laurent says, walking into a sitting room.
I get out of bed, and two of the ladies in waiting help me dress. I have to where the stiffest, most uncomfortable clothes in the entire palace. The amount of work it takes just to get my corset on and tightened is ridiculous.
Lady Laurent comes back in, directing a maid to set my breakfast tray on a small table. The maid follows her instructions, and bows to me.
"Thank you.", I tell the maid.
Her eyes widen, she smiles, and leaves the room.
"Lady De Bellerose, you don't have to thank the maid.", Lady Laurent says, tiredly.
"No, I don't. But it is the polite thing to do, so I am going to do it.", I say, stubbornly.
"I won't fight you on this. We have a busy day, and I need you to cooperate. First we have to get you fitted for some decent clothes...", Lady Laurent begins.
"Wait! What's wrong with these?", I ask, gesturing to my current clothes.
"Nothing is wrong with them, but they are not suitable for a person of your rank.", Lady Laurent explains, patiently.
"What are you going to do with my old clothes?", I ask, suddenly.
"Well, we will throw them out. Why do you ask?", Lady Laurent replies, curiously.
"What if we give them to the poor? We could remake them, simpler to give to them poor.", I say, thinking out loud.
"That is a kind idea, but we simply, don't have the time.", Lady Laurent points out, kindly.
"Please, let me keep them, just in case I find the time.", I say.
"Very well, keep them. Now, as I was saying...", Lady Laurent continues.
Lady Laurent tells me of my very full schedule, and then we set off to begin my day.
First we go to my commonest sitting room, where a dressmaker is waiting. He pokes me with pins, and measures me. This takes hours, and I am tired of standing, when he is finally finished.
"Come, now it is time for you to begin your princess lessons.", Lady Laurent says, pulling me into the library.
I read, sew, paint, and answer questions until one in the afternoon.
"You are supposed to have lunch with Prince Aldric, and the royal family, now.", Lady Laurent says, leading me out of my room for the first time all day.
We go to a large room, with a table, and enough food to feed an entire army. King Louis, Queen Margaret, and Aldric are already at the table, but haven't started to eat yet. Aldric smiles at me, and I smile back.
"I apologize for my lateness, Your Majesties.", I say, curtsying.
Lady Laurent smiles, and I know that this is what I am supposed to do.
"It doesn't matter. You don't have to curtsy to us anymore, you are family.", King Louis says, kindly.
I can see why the people love him so much, he is kind, loyal to France, wise, and strong.
I sit down at the table, and we begin to eat.
"Did you sleep well, Amelie?", Aldric asks, quietly.
"Yes, very well. Did you?", I say, seeing how tired he looks.
"I didn't sleep much last night, but I am fine.", Aldric says, clearly hiding something.
"What is wrong, Aldric? What are you hiding from me?", I ask, worriedly.
Aldric looks at me for a minute, then at his father, and then back at me.
"Spain has declared war on France. We are trying to negotiate peace, but it has been unsuccessful, so far. Unless Spain yields peace, there will be a war.", Aldric says, tiredly.
I gasp.
A war? That can't be true, it can't be.
"Why?", I gasp.
"Because the Spanish ambassador to France has been assassinated, here in France. We don't know why, how, or who killed him. But Spain seems to think, that we had him killed. Our chance for peace was me. If I married Princess Beatrice, then Spain would forget the ambassador. But Mother, Father, and I think that I should not marry her. France shouldn't give in to Spain's demands, and I can't marry anyone, but you.", Aldric explains.
I think for a moment.
I have a lot of questions, and next to no answers, which amounts to a huge problem.
"What is going to happen, now?", I ask, softly.
"We will keep trying for peace, but if we have to we will fight.", King Louis says, determinedly.
We talk about other things, and eat for the next hour, but everyone is thinking about the possible war.
Lady Laurent comes for me, and we go back to my library.
"Lady Laurent, what do you know of the political affairs?", I ask, her.
"My husband is in the King's council, so I am well informed. Why do you ask?", Lady Laurent responds.
"I need to know somethings. Do you know of the possible war?", I ask, keeping my voice quiet.
"Yes, I do. What do you need to know?", Lady Laurent says, quietly.
"What do you know of the ambassador?", I ask.
"His name was Signore Delgado. He was quiet, smart, eager for peace, and a good man. He had a wife, and two children.", Lady Laurent says, rattling of details quickly.
"Did he ever do anything suspicious?", I ask her.
"No, he was a good man. Although, now that I think about it, he only drank from his personal store. He would not drink anything, unless he had brought it from Spain, himself.", Lady Laurent says, thoughtfully.
I think about this.
The drink may have been poisoned, that way only he would die. But that means it would have almost have to have been poisoned in Spain. Unless one of his attendants poisoned it, but why would they do that? The drink might not have anything to do with his death, either.
I get back to my studying, but I keep thinking about the assassination.
What happened to Signore Delgado?

Today, there was no waking up to the sunshine, or flowers in my room. Today, I woke up to crying in the middle of the night.
I crawl out of bed, and walk into a sitting room, where sits a maid. I recognize her as the maid, I thanked for my breakfast, yesterday. That event seems to have happened years ago.
"What is wrong?", I ask, sitting next to her.
"Your Ladyship! I didn't mean to wake you. I am sorry..", she begins, seeing who I am.
"Sh. It's alright. What is your name?", I ask, calming her.
"Chloe.", she says, hiccuping.
"You can call me Amelie, Chloe.", I say, reassuringly. "Why are you crying, Chloe?"
"I just heard, that there is going to be a war. Spain has declared war on France, and the soldiers are going to head to the borders, in a few days.", Chloe says, crying again.
"Chloe, are you sure, that there is going to be a war?", I ask, scared out of my mind, but trying to hide it.
"Yes, I am sure. I heard the guards talking about it, and they had just come from talking to the prince. Isn't it awful?", Chloe says, crying.
"Yes, it is awful. I have to go, Chloe. There are people I have to talk to. Can you help me?", I ask, standing up.
"Yes, I will help you.", Chloe says, standing up as well.
"Good. Now, we have to hurry. Come with me.", I say.
First, I have Chloe help me dress, then I send her to get Lady Laurent. Lady Laurent is in my room, in fifteen minutes.
"Lady Laurent, I need your help. The war is going to happen, and I have a lot to do.", I say.
"What do you need?", Lady Laurent asks.
I look at Lady Laurent and at Chloe. These two women are so brave and loyal. My heart swells with love for humanity.
I lead them out of my rooms, and send them to get Agatha and Daphne. I knock on Aldric's door.
I don't really know if I am allowed to do this, but I am going to do it anyway.
The door is opened by a butler, and I can see Aldric inside, pacing.
"I need to see Prince Aldric.", I say, with all the courage I can muster.
"Amelie? Let her in.", Aldric says, seeing me.
"Aldric.", I say, walking towards him.
"Amelie, my love.", Aldric says, holding me close to him.
"Aldric, what is going on?", I ask, hoping that Chloe is wrong, but I know she isn't.
"There is going to be a war. We have to fight Spain. The troops head to the border in les than two days.", Aldric says, his voice sounds hard
"Aldric, what can I do to help?", I ask.
"Amelie, my Amelie. I have to ask you to do one of the hardest jobs of all. I have to go with the soldiers, and I need you to stay and help my mother rule France, while my father and I are gone.", Aldric says, softly.
My blood runs cold, and my heart skips a beat.
"You are going to fight?", I ask, quietly.
I never thought that Aldric would fight. I thought he would stay to rule, and be with me.
"Yes, I might be a prince, but I am going to do my part for France. I am sorry, Amelie.", Aldric says.
My world is falling apart around me, but I still have to be brave.
"You have nothing to be sorry for, Aldric. You should fight. The people should see their prince fight for them, and with them. I will stay and do my best to help your mother.", I say, trying to be brave for Aldric.
I can't be upset around him, not now. He needs me to be brave, and I am going to do that for him.
"Amelie, you are incredible. I have to go to my father's council now, but I want to talk to you later tonight. I will find you.", Aldric says, kissing my temple, than leaving.
I wait a minute to catch my breath, and try to figure out what I just learned, then I walked back to my room.
I find Daphne and Agatha sitting on my bed, looking scared and worried.
I have to be brave again.
"Amelie, what is going on? Everyone is awake, and panicking.", Agatha says, in a small voice.
"We are fine. Spain declared war on France, and the king has been trying to negotiate peace. Spain refuses peace, and we now have no choice, but to fight. The army is going to move to the borders in less than two days.", I say, calmly.
I am freaking out inside, but I can't be scared or panic, not yet.
"What do we do, Amelie?", Daphne asks, worriedly.
"You should go back to Stepmother, and tell her. Help Father, as he will probably need some help. Daphne, remember what we talked about, yesterday. I have to go, now. But you can come find me, if you need to.", I say, determindedly.
I hug both of them, and they leave the room. I go to the Queen's apartment's and ask to see the Queen. I am shown in to her bed room, where I find her, standing be the fire, in her nightgown.
"Your Majesty, I have come to help you.", I say, softly.
"My family is about to go to war, and they may never come home. How do you expect to help me?", Queen Margaret says, harshly.
I can see her panic, confusion, sorrow, pain, and needs.
"I know what you are going through. I may not be able to help, much. But I love Aldric with all my heart, and he asked me to help you. I promised him I would, and I am not going to break that promise.", I say, quietly.
Queen Margaret's venom is gone, and she sits down, weakly.
"I am sorry, I have been so harsh to you. I was afraid you were only marrying my son, to be a princess. But if you are going to stay during this, and wait for him, then you must love him a great deal. Can you forgive me?", Queen Margaret says, quietly.
I suddenly see her, not as a queen, but as a mother and wife, who is about to lose both of them. I realize she has been brave for both of them for years. People think of the king as ruling a country, and the king does a lot of work for his country, but no one does more than the queen. Because the queen always protects her king, and her country against all threats.
"There is nothing to forgive.", I say, and I hug her.
I can tell she is surprised by the hug, but she needs it.
"What do we do?", I ask her, after we stop hugging.
"I don't know. Louis asked me to take care of the people and the courtiers, but I don't know how.", Queen Margaret says.
"The courtiers are panicking. They don't know what is happening, and they are scared. The people are the same way. We could gather the courtiers together, and tell them what is going on. I think they will calm down, after they understand what is happening. While you talk to the courtiers, I can gather they people up, outside the palace, for you to talk to them, when you are done with the courtiers.", I say, thinking aloud.
"That is a good plan. Send someone to gather the people, and then meet me in the throne room. Oh Amelie, thank you.", Queen Margaret says, walking out of the room.
I go back to my room, and find Lady Laurent.
"Lady Laurent, I need you to have someone gather the people outside the palace for the queen.", I say, hurriedly.
"You have talked to the queen? Of course, you have. I will get the people together.", Lady Laurent says, and leaves the room.
I walk to the throne room, and find the courtiers filing in. Queen Margaret stands by the throne, looking pale and scared.
The courtiers can't see her scared. She knows that, so why is she acting like this?
"Queen Margaret, what is the matter?", I ask, coming towards her.
"Amelie, I have never addressed so many people. I can't do public speaking, and I don't even know what to say.", Queen Margaret says, frantically.
I sigh.
She has had a long night, I can't ask her to do this, not yet anyway.
"I will do it, but I need you to back me up. I want you to tell them that I am speaking on your behalf.", I say, gathering every once of courage I have left.
"I can do that.", Queen Margaret says.
The last courtiers file in, and Queen Margaret begins to say, what I told her to say. But I don't listen, I am just trying to think of what to say.
Queen Margaret beckons to me, and I walk to the front of the room, as she steps back.
"Thank you for coming here.", I say, and stop.
Everyone in the room is looking at me. They are scared, tired, confused and lost. They are looking to me for guidance, they trust me.
"I am Amelie De Bellerose, fiancé of Prince Aldric. Something has happened tonight, and I have talk to the prince and queen about it, so you can trust me. Spain has declared war on France, King Louis has done his best to avoid fighting. But now we have to fight, we have to defend France, we have to defend our home, and we have to defend our loved ones. I tell you this not as a princess to be, but as one of you.", I say, making eye contact with some of the courtiers.
They nod, whisper, and cry.
"Thank you for coming here. Please go back to your apartments, we will let you know if there have been any changes to our plans.", I say, and the crowd leaves the room.
"That was wonderful, Amelie. Can you talk to the people as well?", Queen Margaret asks.
I nod, too tired to talk. We walk out doors, and find the people gathered, as I asked.
I look at them, and suddenly, I can't be a courtier anymore.
I walk away from the queen and out of the gates, that separate the people from the palace.
The people are quiet, still, and afraid.
"I am Amelie De Bellerose, and I am going to be honest with you. There is going to be a war. Spain has declared war, and though King Louis tried to negotiate peace, we have to fight. We have to defend France, we have to defend our home, and we have to defend our loved ones.", I say, repetitively.
"If the nobles aren't going to fight themselves, why should we risk our lives for them?", a voice shouted.
"But they are going to fight. My fiancé, Prince Aldric is going with the soldiers to the borders to fight. King Louis is going as well. All the lords, dukes, counts, all of the nobles, who can fight are going to fight.", I say, firmly.
The crowd seems satisfied, but then they begin to look above my shoulder.
I turn around and the most welcome sight in the whole world meets my eyes. Aldric is standing behind me.
"Amelie.", he says, coming to and putting his arm around me.
"Is it true? What she said.", a voice asks.
"Yes, it is true. I have just come from the King's council. We will head to the borders in less than two days.", Aldric says, tiredly.
The crowd nods, and mutters to themselves. Aldric and I walk back inside, and go to my room.
"You were amazing, Amelie. I knew you could handle it.", Aldric says, taking me into his arms.
I want to scream that I can't handle it, and I never will be able to. I want to cry, and scream. But instead I just bite my lip, and say nothing.
"Amelie, my love. You don't have to be strong around me. I know you are strong, but you can be upset too. I love you, and nothing is going to change that.", Aldric says, pulling back to see my face.
I begin to cry, and once I start I can't stop.
Aldric holds me until, I stop crying, and then he pulls back to look at my face.
"Amelie.", He whispers.
He kiss my tears, my cheeks, my forehead, and my nose.
"Amelie, I love you.", Aldric says.
Aldric leans forward and kisses me on the lips, and I kiss him back.
I don't want to stop kissing him, not just because I love him, but because when we stop we have to move on, and acknowledge time passing. When we stop we have to come back to reality.
Aldric pulls away, and strokes my face, with his palm.
"Amelie, I know I am going away, but my heart is yours. My heart stays here with you, and nothing can ever take it away from you. I love you.", Aldric whispers.
We are alone, but we still whisper, these things are too precious to say loudly or normally.
"My heart goes with you, Aldric.", I manage to say.
"I love you. I know I keep saying that, but it might be the last chance I get to tell you...", Aldric begins to whisper.
"Don't say that! You have to come back. Promise me you will come back to me, promise!", I say, almost panicking.
"I promise you I will do everything in my power to come back to you. There now, I have promised you something again.", Aldric says, trying to make me laugh.
"You are going to have stop doing that.", I say, trying to smile.
"Then you are going to have to stop asking me to promise you things.", Aldric says.
We are trying to tease, but there is something serious about it.
I lean in, and kiss Aldric. His lips press against mine, and his hands twist into my hair. I pull back, and rest my head on his shoulder.
"I am so scared, Aldric.", I whisper.
"I know. I am too.", Aldric says, softly.
We sit down on a couch, together. Aldric puts his arms around me, and I lean against him. We just sit there, being together for what might be the last time.

I woke up, in Aldric's arms. I remember last night, and I try to convince myself to get up. I decide not to wake Aldric up, he has enough problems to handle, without lack of sleep. I get dressed, with the help of my ladies in waiting, and I go back to the bed room.
Aldric must have just woken up, because he is looking around, frantically. his eyes land on me, and he rush over to me. Aldric's lips press against mine, passionately. When he pulls away, he is calmer.
"I thought...nothing. I am sorry.", Aldric says, shaking his head.
"What is it?", I ask, pulling him to the couch.
We sit down, and Aldric holds both my hands.
"I had a nightmare, that the Spanish came, and took you away from me. I tried to stop them, but they got away. I heard you screaming for me to help you, but I couldn't. I tried to follow them, but they were always just ahead of me. Eventually, I went into a room, and I found...you...dead.", Aldric says, brokenly.
Aldric kisses my hands, and holds them tightly.
"I am not going anywhere. I am going to stay right here.", I say, trying to reassure him.
There is a knock on my door, but before I can answer it, it flies open. A courtier, I have never seen before runs in.
"Your Majesty, there you are! I have been looking everywhere for you! The King needs you right away.", the mans says, urgently.
Aldric looks at me, helplessly.
"You should go. I am going to be here, when you come back.", I say, calmer than I feel.
"I will be there in a minute.", Aldric tells the man.
The man flies out of the room, off to ruin someone else's day.
"Amelie, I love you so much. ", Aldric says, and I remember what he said last night.
"I love you, Aldric.", I say.
Aldric leans over, and kisses me, cupping his hand around my face. He pulls back, looks intently at me for a moment, and then leaves.
Neither of us said it, but we both thought, this might be the last time we see each other.
I get up, and go find the queen.
I find Queen Margaret arguing with a courtier.
"Amelie, will you please talk some sense into this man?", she exclaims, when she sees me.
"Of course. What is the problem?", I ask the man.
"There has been an uprising, in a small village in the country. I want to ignore it for now, but Queen Margaret wants to send some guards to handle it. But we don't have any guards to spare.", the man says.
"What do the people want?", I ask.
"They want to not fight in the war. They are farmers, and they need to tend to their fields, to prove food for the soldiers.", the man explains.
"What is your name?", I ask to buy time, and I am curious.
"Francois, Your Ladyship.", Francois says.
"I will think about this, and get back to you shortly, Francois.", I say, and he leaves the room.
"What else can I do?", I ask Queen Margaret.
"Nothing, unless you can stop a war.", she says, tiredly.
I leave the room, and go to where some ladies have begun to make packages for the soldiers. They fall silent, when I come in.
"I am here to help. Can someone tell me what to do?", I say, humbly.
"I can.", an old woman says, standing up.
I walk over to her, and we sit down.
"Thank you.", I say, gratefully.
"Thank you for what you are doing for France, and I am not just talking about what you are doing in here.", the woman says.
I find out her name is Clara, and she shows me how to sew a bandage. I begin to sew, and soon the ladies relax around me. The gossip begins again, and they let me listen.
"I heard that Count Baudin knows what happened to the Spanish ambassador.", one woman says.
"I heard that he knows who killed him.", another woman chimes in.
"Stop your gossiping. If Count Baudin knew anything, he would have told the king.", a sharp looking woman points out.
They begin to talk about the weather, and I focus on my sewing again. I sew for hours.
I am not good at sewing, but at least I am doing something.
After a while, I get up, and go to the kitchens to help. The kitchen is short staffed, because everyone wants to go home. I help make food for the soldiers to take with them, until they send me out, because they don't want me to be too tired. I wander back to my room, and clean myself up.
I just sit down, when there is a knock on my door, a butler answers it, and I check the time, it is three in the afternoon.
Aldric walks into my room, dressed in his military uniform.
I gasp, guessing what his outfit means.
"Amelie.", Aldric says, wrapping me in his arms.
"Aldric, my love.", I say, trying not to cry.
"Amelie, I have to go. But remember I love you, I will always love you, and no one can come between us. You have to stay safe. Take care of Mother for me, and take care of yourself. Rule wisely. Oh, Amelie. I love you, I love you.", Aldric says, stepping back to look at me, and then pulling me close again.
"I will try to make you proud of me. I love you very, very much, Aldric. Remember that I love you, remember that my heart goes with you wherever you go, and remember to come home. I love you, Aldric.", I murmur in his ear.
Aldric held me close, and then stepped away. His hands ran over my face, his fingers warm and gentle on my skin. His hands run into my hair, and tangle in it. Aldric presses his lips to mine, and kisses me passionately. I close my eyes, and memorize the feel of his hands on me, the touch of his lips on mine, and the butterflies in my stomach. Aldric pulls back, and presses his forehead to mine.
"My mysterious lady, my love, my Amelie, my fiancé, my life, my world.", Aldric whispers."You are all this and so much more to me."
"How can I let you go, my love?", I ask, softly.
"I don't know. I am still trying to figure out how to leave.", Aldric says, quietly.
I place my hands on his face, running my hands over every inch, memorizing his face, both by touch and by sight.
"I love you, Aldric.", I say, clinging to him.
"I love you, Amelie.", Aldric says, holding me tightly against his chest.
I listen to his heartbeat in his chest, and I know it beats in the same rhythm as mine.
Aldric steps away, and we walk out to where the soldiers are waiting. Aldric hugs me once more, than mounts his horse.
"Aldric, I love you more than you know. Remember your promise to come home to me.", I say, quietly.
"I love you, Amelie. I remember every promise I make you, even if you doubt my talents.", Aldric says, softly.
He bends down, and kisses me on the lips. Aldric pulls away, and then he rides away, calling back as he rides, I love you.

I watched Aldric ride away, until I could no longer see him or any of the soldiers, then I march inside. Queen Margaret maybe the authority figure here, but she has no idea what to do.
"Queen Margaret, can I talk to you?", I ask.
"Of course, Amelie. What is it?", Margaret says, sweetly.
"How are you going to rule France? How are you going to fill your husband's place?", I ask, bluntly.
"I don't know.", Queen Margaret says, meekly.
I take a deep breath, before I speak again.
"Queen Margaret, someone has to rule. You are the only qualified person here, but you aren't able to rule.", I say, in a kinder tone.
"I know, I can't rule. I have been thinking about it, and I have made a decision. I talked about it with Louis, and he thinks it is a good plan too. We want you to rule, while Louis is fighting. I will hand my power over to you, and help you if you need help.", Queen Margaret says, calmly.
"I can't rule. I don't know how to rule a country!", I say, shocked she would suggest it.
"You can rule, and you know it.", Queen Margaret says, stubbornly.
"No, I can't.", I protest.
"It is too late. I have already made the announcement. the entire country now looks to you for guidance. I couldn't take back the power, even if I wanted to, it would make it look weak in the eyes of the people.", Queen Margaret says, with a touch of her old malice.
"I guess, I have no choice.", I say.
I sit down, and begin to think.
I have to manage the courtiers, the uprising, and the day to day life. First things, first. What to do about the uprising? I don't really know what to do. On one hand they should make food, but on the other hand the should fight. I won't know unless I see the town and talk to the people. But what to do about the courtiers? They need supervision, like children. I could leave Daphne in charge, but then would seem like I am taking over. I will leave a bunch of people in charge of different things.
Daphne can be in charge of the courtiers, Agatha can be in charge of the kitchens, and Clara can be in charge of the war effort.
I went all over Versailles looking for anyone on my mental list. Once they were all gather, I began to talk.
"Queen Margaret and King Louis have left me in charge of France, while they are busy with the war. I need some help if I am going to rule France. I ask you all to come here, so that I can ask you to be a sort of council for me. I will ask each of you to be in charge of one division of work, and you will report back to me. The divisions are: security, war effort, kitchens, courtiers' cabinet, adviser, foreign relations, and agricultural and industrial maintenance. Captain Armistead, I am going to put you in charge of protection. Clara Babineaux, I am going to ask you to be in charge of war effort. Agatha De Bellerose, I want you to be in charge of the kitchens. Daphne De Bellerose, you will be in charge of courtier's cabinet. Lady Laurent, you will be my adviser. Count and Countess Bellamy, you will be in charge of foreign relations. Duke Borde, please head agricultural maintenance. Lord Bonheur, please head industrial maintenance. If you have objections to your position, let me know later. I will talk to each of you individually, about your position and your duties, starting now, with Captain Armistead.", I say, firmly.
I walked out of the throne room, to a library near by, with Captain Armistead following me.
"Captain Armistead, you are captain of a small troop of men, is that correct?", I say, sitting down at a desk.
"Yes, Lady Amelie.", Captain Armistead replies.
"Good. Your job is to be the guards here. You will follow me, and help me make decisions based on your military knowledge. Your forces will follow your commands.", I explain.
"Yes, Lady Amelie.", he says, in his military voice.
"You can call me Amelie. Now, please call Clara Babineaux in, and come back with her.", I say, tiredly.
I talk to each person, answering questions, and giving commands, until I am ready to drop with exhaustion.
Once I have finally gotten through everyone, I call everyone in to discuss my plans.
"There has been an uprising in a small village. They are farmers and they want to stay, to tend their crops. They want out of the war. I can't decide what to do with them, until I have talked to them. I think that I should go to their village to talk with them.", I say, trying to stay awake.
"That is dangerous, Amelie.", Captain Armistead protests.
"That is why you will come with me, Captain.", I say, determinedly.
"It would help the nobility's image, if you go to talk to the people.", Lady Laurent says.
"Yes, it would.", I say, distractedly.
Eventually, everyone agrees to the plan, and I get to go to bed.

I take Lady Laurent, Captain Armistead, and Duke Borde with me, to the village, where there was an uprising.
The village is small, just an ordinary farming village, or so it seems.
The people peek out of their houses, when we come through the village. I have grown somewhat accustomed to wealth and plenty, but now I remember the village near by family's estate. I remember the starving people and the little they had.
I shake my head, at myself.
How could I have forgotten these people?
The carriages stop in the middle of the town, and Captain Armistead helps me out of my carriage.
"Thank you, Captain.", I say, absently.
At least I still remember my manners.
The people begin to come out of their houses, and they approach me, cautiously.
Captain Armistead puts one hand on his sword, and keeps close to me.
I wander away from the carriages, and towards the people.
One little girl comes up to me, unafraid.
"Hello. Who are you?", she asks, her voice is friendly.
"Hello. I am Amelie De Bellerose. What is your name?", I say, bending down to be at her height.
"My name is Marie.", she says, looking at me.
"It is nice to meet you, Marie.", I say, politely.
"I picked these flowers this morning, and I will give them to you to welcome you to our town.", Marie says, giving me a bouquet of wildflowers.
"Thank you, Marie. To thank you I am going to give you this chain.", I say, handing her a gold chain I was wearing.
Captain Armistead touches my elbow.
"You have to go, now. The elders of this town are waiting.", he says, quietly.
I stand up, and follow him to the building where the elders meet. The elders remind me of giants, but they are quiet and clearly kind.
I stay in the room, and talk to them for hours. Eventually, I discuss the matter with my council I have there, and we decide that they should stay.
I leave the building, and decide to take a walk, before heading back to Versailles. I walk through the fields, lost in thought.
I miss Aldric, it has been weeks since he left Versailles. He can't write to me, because he is on the front lines. I miss him so much, it hurts. He is a part of me, and when he is gone, the pain is almost the same as if they cut of my right side. But the pain is worse, so much worse. I don't even know if he is alive or not. I barely sleep at night, because I worry about him so much. I wish I could hear his voice, see his smile, kiss him, feel him hold me, and hear his laugh. I wish I could see him, again. Every talks about the brave soldiers that go to war, but although the soldiers are brave and they have my deepest respect, I think that some times it is hard for the people who stay behind.
I turn back, get into my carriage, and go back to Versailles, still thinking of Aldric.

The war stretched on for weeks, and we heard very little from the soldiers. We know that Spain is fighting hard, and our soldiers are doing everything that they can. The battle has stayed at the border. French troops have kept the Spanish out of France for now.
I woke up one morning, and got dressed. My ladies in waiting help me, without a word. I know how hard this has been on me, but how hard has it been on them? Most of them have husbands, brothers, and fathers in the war.
I went to the biggest library in Versailles, that I have made my room. I meet everyone in there, and do most of my work in there.
Captain Armistead follows me into the library.
"Amelie, when was the last time you slept for an entire night?", Captain Armistead asks, concernedly.
"I don't know. I don't have time to sleep, let alone think about sleep.", I say, sitting down at a table.
"Amelie, you need to rest. You are working so hard, and everyone knows and appreciates that. But you need to rest. Prince Aldric would want you to rest.", Captain says, gently.
"I will try to find more time to sleep.", I say, starting to work.
There is a knock on my door, and Captain Armistead opens it.
"It's a messenger from the front lines, Amelie.", Captain Armistead says, gravely.
We hardly ever get messages from the front lines, but if a messenger is going to bring it, it must be important.
The messenger hands me a letter, and walks out the door.
I open the letter, breaking the King's wax seal.
Why is the king writing to me?
I read the letter and find the answer to my question.

Amelie De Bellerose,
Aldric has been gravely wounded. The doctors don't know if he will live. Aldric is delirious, and he keeps asking for you. I thought you should be informed, immediately. Please tell Margaret this news, but do it gently.
King Louis Of France

I read the letter again, and again.
Aldric can't be hurt, he can't be. He promised he would come home, he promised.
I jump up, and run after the messenger.
"Wait! When did you receive this message?", I ask, when I catch up to him.
"Three weeks ago, Your Ladyship.", the messenger says.
I send him on his way, and walk back to my library.
"What is the news, Amelie?", Captain Armistead asks, once I reenter the room.
"Prince Aldric is gravely wounded, and they don't know if he will live.", I say, numbly.
Captain Armistead is clearly surprised and worried, but he doesn't say anything.
"I am going to go to him.", I declare, firmly.
"Amelie, you can't go. Who would rule? Even if you could find someone to rule, then how will you survive there. Prince Aldric would want you to stay here.", Captain Armistead argues, immediately.
"My council can rule for awhile. I don't always do what Aldric wants me to do, and that is alright. Captain, I love Aldric, and he might be dying. I have to go to him, I just have to.", I say, trying to be calm.
"Alright, but I am sending you with guards.", Captain Armistead says, reluctantly.
"Thank you, Captain.", I say, gratefully.
I prepare to leave, and then I go to the Queen's room.
"Queen Margaret, I have to talk to you.", I say, mustering my courage.
"What is it, Amelie?", Queen Margaret asks, tiredly.
"I got a letter from King Louis, this morning.", I say, slowly.
"You got a letter from my husband? Is he alright? Is Aldric alright? What did he say?", she asks, quickly.
"King Louis is alright, but Aldric is not. Aldric is gravely wounded, and I don't know if he is going to live. I am going to go see him. I have arranged for some of my most trusted friends to rule, while I am gone. I will be back soon.", I say, gently.
"I want to go with you.", she says.
"You can't. I am sorry, but I will only risk my own life.", I say, and leave the room.
I send Daphne to talk to Queen Margaret, and I get ready to leave.
I leave late that night, and ride all night to get to the border. But I don't know if I am already to late.

I am finally able to see the border, but it is not what I expected to see.
The ground is covered in dirt, blood, and bodies. The air stinks of rot and decay. The brave men that left the palace a few months ago, and now worn, exhausted, soldiers.
Every stares as I ride into the French camp, and get off my horse.
"Can someone tell me where I can find King Louis?", I ask, exhaustedly.
"Right this way.", a man says, walking deeper into the camp.
The man leads me into the heart of the camp, where there is one big tent.
"He will be in that tent.", the man says, as he stops walking.
"Thank you.", I say, and walk to the tent.
The guards stop me, but once the know my name the let me pass.
Apparently everyone knows my name, from Aldric.
I walk into the tent and king Louis looks up.
"Amelie, what are you doing here?", he asks, in a tone of anger, surprise, and relief.
"I came to see Aldric. Please let me see him.", I say.
"What about France? What about your safety?", King Louis demands.
"I left France in good hands. Please don't scold me, I have been well warned about coming here, but I came and I am going to see Aldric." I say, adrenaline surging through me.
"Alright. He is in the hospital tent. This way.", King Louis says, looking haggard.
"How is Aldric?", I ask, dreading the answer.
"He is not delirious anymore, but he is so badly wounded, that he is still in danger.", King Louis informs me.
He leads me through the camp, pass all the staring soldiers, to a large tent.
"He is in there. I would go with you, but I think you want to be alone.", King Louis says, with the kindness I remember.
"Thank you.", I say, and walk into the tent.
The hospital tent is filthy, and full of wounded men. I weave my way through the tent, checking every bed for Aldric. Eventually I spot him, lying on a bed, perfectly still.
I rush over to him.
His face is pale, his arm is in a sling, his leg is wrapped up, and his torso is wrapped up in bandages.
I hold his hand, and stroke his face with my hand.
"Aldric? Aldric, I am here.", I whisper, knowing he might not hear me.
Aldric's eyes open, and he looks at me for a minute.
"Amelie?", Aldric says, weakly.
"It is me, Aldric. I have come to see you.", I say, pressing his hand in mine.
"Amelie.", Aldric says, and drops back asleep.
I sit with him for a long time. He would wake up occasionally, but he couldn't stay awake for long.
"Are you Amelie?", the man in a bed next to Aldric's bed asks.
"Yes, I am Amelie.", I say, quietly.
"Prince Aldric has been asking for you for weeks. He has missed you every much. Even before he got hurt, he would tell us about you. He loves you with all of his heart. I am glad you came for him. He won't be happy that you are here, and in danger. But you did the right thing, coming here.", the man says, more to himself than to me.
"I am glad you think it is the right thing for me to do. Not many people agree with you. I had to fight to get here, but you are right I should be here.", I say, glancing at the man.
He has brown, greasy hair, brown eyes, and he is missing both of his legs.
"What is your name?", I ask him.
"Jaques Harmen." the man says.
"Have you been hear long?", I ask.
Jaques and I begin to talk. I learn a lot about the war, while Aldric sleeps.
Eventually Jaques falls asleep, and I sit alone with my thoughts. I stroke Aldric's hair, and think.

I knelt by Aldric's bed, and kissed his hand, that I held.
I had been at the camp for days, now and Aldric has not improved. He wakes up, sees me, and then falls asleep again. I don't think he remembers that I am here at all.
"Amelie?", Aldric's voice floats over to me.
"I am here, Aldric.", I say, standing beside his bed.
"No, you can't be. You are in Versailles, and you are safe.", Aldric says, determinedly.
"I am here, and I am safe. King Louis wrote to me, when you got hurt, and he told me that you wanted me here, so I came to you.", I say, softly.
"Amelie, you shouldn't have come. You aren't safe here. You have to go home, now.", Aldric protests, weakly.
"Sh, Aldric. You need to rest, now. We can talk about it later.", I say, kissing his forhead.
"I have missed you, Amelie.", Aldric says, falling asleep.
I stroke his hair, absently.
I am glad to be with Aldric, but I wish that he wasn't hurt. This is the longest conversation I have had with him, since his injury. It is painful for me, to see him like this. I can't bear to see him in pain.
I sit with Aldric for a few hours, and then he wakes up again.
"Amelie, you are still here. I must not be dreaming.", Aldric says, with a faint smile.
"I am really here.", I reassure him.
"I have dreamed about you coming for so long, when I woke up before I felt sure that I was dreaming again, but you are here still, so it must be true.", Aldric says, more to himself than to me.
I lean over, and kiss his cheek.
"I am still very cross that you came, when I told you to stay safe. But I can't fight you, not when I am so happy to see you.", Aldric says, looking up at me, intently.
"You should rest.", I say.
"I have been resting, and now I want to be awake.", Aldric argues.
"You need rest, so you can get better.", I say, brushing the hair out of my face.
"I used to do that for you.", Aldric says, watching me move my hair.
"Yes, you did. But now you are going to rest, so you can do it again.", I say, patiently.
"I want to talk to you, not sleep.", Aldric protests.
"You promised me before you left, that you would come home. If you are going to keep that promise you have to sleep. Did you forget that promise?", I say, placing my hand on his cheek bone.
"I never forget a promise I make you. I will sleep, but you have to promise to be here, when I wake up.", Aldric says, pressing his cheek against my hand.
"I promise.", I say, kissing his forehead.
Aldric smiles, and falls asleep.
Aldric sleeps for the rest of the day and night, but I stay right by his bed the entire time.
When I wake up the next morning, I find that Aldric is awake.
"Why didn't you wake me up?", I ask, yawning.
"Because you are exhausted, besides I didn't need to wake you.", Aldric says, smiling a little.
"It is good to see you awake, and smiling.", I say, kissing his cheek.
"Amelie.", Aldric whispers, and I press my lips against his.
Aldric kisses me back, and for a minute we stay like that, then I pull away.
"I love you, Amelie. You are everything to me.", Aldric says, so quietly only we can hear.
"I love you too.", I say, and kiss him right between his eyes.
The doctor comes to check on Aldric, and I step out of the way. Aldric's eyes follow me, and the stay on me, despite all that is going on around him.
Aldric has a way of making me feel that I am the only girl in the world, that I am worth loving, that I am beautiful, and that I am special. When Aldric holds me, I feel safe, secure, loved, and treasured. There is something special about the way he treats me, and I hope there is something special in the way I treat him. I hope that he loves me, as much as I love him.
"He has changed since you came.", Jaques says.
I realize that I am standing next to his bed, and I turn to look at him.
"What do you mean?", I ask.
"He has a light in his eye, and is so much happier. He is different.", Jaques says, in a quiet voice.
"Is it a good different?", I ask, although I am not sure why.
"Yes, it is a good change. The army loves Aldric, and he deserves to be happy. Please excuse my ramblings, I suppose I am just jealous.", Jaques says, in a strange tone.
"Jealous of what?", I ask, curiously.
"Jealous of the love that you have for Prince Aldric.", he says, in that odd tone.
"I don't understand.", I say, confused.
"I love a girl back in the country, like Prince Aldric loves you. But the difference is that she doesn't love me, the way you love Prince Aldric.", Jacques explains.
"Have you asked her?", I ask, interested.
"No, but I know what she will say.", he says, despondently.
"If you never ask, the answer will always be no.", I say, just as Aldric calls me.
"Go to him. I will think about what you said.", Jacques says, tiredly.
I am reminded once more, of just how much these men have been through. I think of all the pain and suffering they have gone through for the greater good, and suddenly my worries seem much smaller than before.