Twinkle Twinkle Little Star | Teen Ink

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

August 18, 2011
By ElephantGirl523 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
More by this author
ElephantGirl523 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Theodor Geisel


The doorbell rings, and I race to the door. My parents just left for the Cheyenne International Airport, which is the nearest airport to our house. I hope they come back soon, and bring my new sister with them. I open the door, holding my breath. Could Mom and Dad be back already?

Yes, it is Mom, standing behind our heavy green front door, but she is alone.

“We forgot the car keys,” she says, a little sheepishly. I sigh and give Mom a Look. She is always after me for forgetting my keys. I don’t even need keys! I’m always off to a friend’s house after school, and we have a spare key under the mat in case I decide to come home. I toss Mom the car keys.

“Thanks, sweetie.” Mom catches the car keys and leaves. I shove the door shut behind her and flop down on the couch.

Last week, after dinner, was when Mom and Dad decided to tell me that they were adopting another kid.

“Boy or girl?” I asked, surprised that my parents hadn’t told me yet. That is always the first thing you say when something like this happens.

“It is a girl, and she is from Spain. Don’t worry, she has been learning English for years. She’ll still be able to understand you,” Mom said.

That was not exactly what I wanted to know, but I didn’t want to interrupt. For I moment I thought Mom and Dad were moving on to a different topic, but then finally Dad saw that I was itching to know more.

“She is eleven, your age,” Dad explained. “We will be picking her up from the airport next week.” I still wanted to know more, but then Mom butted in.

“Emily, you should be in bed now. After all, it is a school night.” That’s all the information I got on that topic.

The deep toned doorbell, echoing through the house, snaps me away from my memory. Could it be my new sister? Flinging the door open, I stare out into the yard. The mailman hands me a bundle of letters. I mutter “thank you,” and let the door swing shut.

I am so excited. A sister? I have always wanted a sister! We would go to the same school, and we would play all the games you can’t play as an only child. We could help each other with homework, and make popcorn together, and do all the things I love! The possibilities would be endless! It would be just like having a best friend, but we would live in the same house. If only Mom and Dad would just get back.
Where are they? I decide to wait in the yard, so I will not be disappointed anymore by false alarms like the the mailman. As I lay down on the grass, I hear our car entering the garage. Wha-?

It must be my new sister! I run up to our turquoise-colored car that Mom chose when she bought it nine years ago because she says it stands out in a crowd. I agree, but I don’t think it stands out in a good way, especially with all the mud spattered on the sides and the dent in the front passenger door. What impression does our car give my new sister? Where is my new sister?

As if my question caused it to happen, the back seat door of the car opens and out comes a girl with really short dusty blonde hair and freckles. She is taller then me, but I’m pretty short. She is wearing an orange tie-die t-shirt and faded jeans.

“Hi,” I say, waving eagerly.

The girl doesn’t move. I realize I must look like an idiot, with all this waving. I let my arm fall back to my side. The two of us stand there silently for a moment, staring at each other.

My mom approaches from the other side of the car, breaking the silence between my new sister and I. I breath a sigh of relief. Thank goodness that’s over. Is it the custom in Spain to stare people down before you meet them?

“Emily, meet your new sister. This is Maria. Maria, meet Emily.” Mom says, a little too enthusiastically. Maria nods slightly when Mom mentions my name. I smile at her. She doesn’t smile back, just looks down. My first impression of Maria is not turning out to be that great.

Maria is just a little uncomfortable, that’s all. I only need to start a conversation, a kind word, to get her started. Then we’ll be chatting along like old friends. Maria will be just like all my daydreams. She’ll live up to it. Just start with some conversation. Maria will turn out fine. By now I have myself convinced, so I give it a try.

“Hey! Come inside with me. I’ll show you your room.” I say. Mom and Dad have already gone inside, so Maria follows me wordlessly into the house. I keep talking to fill the silence. “Your room’s right across from mine. I can’t wait to get to know you better! Tomorrow I’ll take you out for ice cream, and you can meet all my friends.” We reached the room I had helped prepare for Maria. It used to be the guest room, but Mom said that Maria should get her own room. If any guests come, Maria will have to temporarily sleep in my room. I guess that’s okay with me, but I don’t know how Maria will react, because she hasn’t really communicated with me yet.

“Here’s your room, and over there is mine,” I continue explaining. “We’ll go shopping this weekend, so you can get some stuff and decorate your room.” If it were me, I would have said something like “Great! I can’t wait! Where will we shop? In Spain, my favorite place was. . .” Then I’d go on to say what sort of stuff it sold, and ask if they had something like that here. I’d mention what would make this room perfect for me, and ask where we could buy that. However, Maria’s only reaction to my comment is a nod. The silence in the room is like a blanket. It’s smothering me. I leave to find Mom and Dad.

“Maria doesn’t like me!” I exclaim, when I enter Mom and Dad’s room.

“Don’t worry, Emily,” Mom said. “Maria likes you. She’s just shy.” Mom sounds like a typical parent. I bet that line came straight out of the How To Parenting book on our bookshelf.

“Remember,” Dad put in, “Maria now has to adjust to a new country and family.”

“She’ll get used to you,” Mom adds. “Be patient.”

I leave. I’m not so sure.

Maria wakes up very early in the morning. I’m not surprised. There is a six hour time difference in Spain. I ask Maria if she wants to go and get ice cream and meet my friends. She nods. Still no words. I sigh. How can I not know the sound of my own sister’s voice? All of a sudden, I don’t know why, I feel embarrassed.

What if Maria can’t talk? Maybe Mom and Dad told me and I forgot. Or maybe they forgot to tell me, but thought they told me, so no one noticed that I didn’t know. Maybe Maria didn’t try to show me because she knows I don’t understand sign language. Maybe she thought of writing it down but couldn’t find a sheet of paper or a pencil, and couldn’t talk to ask me for one. Maybe-

Okay, Emily. Shhh. Calm down. Mom and Dad will know. You can ask them about Maria when you get home. They will tell you the truth. Everything will be fine. I hope.

We meet my friends at Maggie’s Ice Cream Parlor. They frantically wave us over to where they are sitting. Fortunately, Kathy got to the ice cream parlor early enough to get the biggest table. It is the only one that has enough room to seat all eleven of us. I sit down next to Maria so I can introduce her to my friends. They all say hello and welcome her. Maria gives a tiny wave and mumbles the quietest “hi” I’ve ever heard. At least she can talk.

My friends and I giggle and chat, licking our ice cream. Every once in a while, we try to include Maria in our conversation, but she only mumbles a word or two and is silent. Eventually we stop trying to make her talk and she wanders off. I think I am the only one who notices Maria, looking very small slumped against the window.

“Why is your sister so quiet?” Rosie asks, changing the subject and bringing my attention back to the conversation.

“Mom says she’s shy,” I reply. I don’t really like the topic, but I can see why Rosie is bringing up Maria. She really stands out, because none of my friends are shy. Actually, Lia says I’m an antonym for shy.

“Maria’s more than shy. She barely talks.” Megan points out. “I don’t see how she’s related to you.” We all laugh. Megan can always make me start giggling, even when faced with a silent sister.

“Maria’s sort of weird,” Trissy says, as soon as our laughter subsides. I know I should stand up for my sister, but I agree with Trissy. I mean, what kind of person doesn’t talk for two days straight?

In the evening, I don’t even try to convince Maria to speak to me. I know she won’t say a word no matter what I do. When Mom puts me to bed, I think back on my day. Operation Meet Sister has completely flunked. So much for finding a best friend in Maria. I’m supposed to live with her until I’m old enough to move out? Yeah, right. Like that’s going to work. We won’t even know each other, because Maria won’t tell me her life story in a million years. On the bright side, you can’t argue with a sister who can’t talk.

I wake up. It is still dark. According to my luminous alarm clock, it is 3:29 am. I roll over, wondering what woke me. Usually I am a very sound sleeper. I try to fall back asleep, but I get this strange feeling something is wrong. I feel myself shiver, and pull my blanket up to my ears. My usually cheerful room looks dark and shadowy. The only noise is the loud tick of my alarm clock. Usually the clock lulls me to sleep, but now it sounds foreboding, and my eyes refuse to close. What could be wrong? I need a cup of hot chocolate. Just the thing to sooth my nerves. I twist the knob on the floor lamp next to my bed. With a click, the room is illuminated in its pale yellow glow. I put on my slippers and head for the kitchen.

I halt when I enter the hall. There is a certain stillness in the air that scares me more than watching a horror movie at midnight. This is a real chill, that tightens my muscles and makes me hold my breath. The wort part is, I know it’s real.

“Maria!” The cry cuts through the night.

Maria? Isn’t she my sister? Someone is calling for Maria.

“Maria!” The call comes again. It sounds like Mom. I head toward the noise to find Mom pacing the living room.

“What’s going on?” I ask. Mom is usually a calm person, and before now I couldn’t have imagined her rushing around like this. Mom turns to look at me. Her face, tone of voice, body language, all spell desperate to me. Could this be the scared feeling I felt in my bedroom?

“Emily!” Mom is almost crying now. Her face is red. “It’s Maria! She’s gone!”

“Gone? As in, kidnapped? Run away? Mom, what do you mean?” My voice is shrill.

“I don’t know, Emily, I don’t know! I looked in her bed and she wasn’t there! Someone call the police! My daughter is missing!” Mom is shouting, but not at me. She is shouting at her fear. I grab my sweater and go outside into the dark. The least I can do is help search.

The night is dark, and the only light is from the half-moon hovering in the sky. The dewdrops have already formed on the grass, and they soak through my slippers, freezing my feet every time I take a step, every time I crush the tender blades of grass with my foot. Out here it is not silent. Bugs hum in the grass, and I can hear the stray cat down the block yowling. I want to yowl too. Is my whole week going to be a disaster, like today and yesterday were? I really hope not. Please, let my week get better. Let my week get a lot better. Please? I’m not religious, so my prayer is only said to the air, which is cool and thin, and smells of falling leaves and Mom’s herb garden. The wind gently pulls my long hair across my cheeks, urging me to dance with it, but I have other things on my mind.

I roam the yard, thinking about Maria. I think she ran away. I think it is my fault. Maria must have known my friends and I were talking about her at Maggie’s Ice Cream Parlor. She could have easily overheard us talking. How could she not, if she was right near us, and Mom said that she understands English? She could have heard my conversation with Mom and Dad and thought I did not like her. She might have seen me not trying to make her talk last night as a sign that she should leave. It is my fault. If only I had stood up for her. I should have told Trissy to shut her mouth. I should have been a little more sympathetic. I should never have given up on her. Maria might be shy, but she isn’t mean, or weird. I wish I had apologized. I should have tried harder to include Maria in every conversation. In every thing! I pretty much screwed a pleasant welcoming into the community. No wonder Maria ran away.

I need a quiet place to be alone with my thoughts. I know I should be searching, and I will search. I just need one minute alone. I need one minute to figure out how to find Maria, how to tell Mom that it is my fault that Maria ran away. Should I tell Mom? Yes. I can’t lie to my parents. It seems only fair that I should tell them the truth. My parents have been feeding me and taking care of me for eleven years.

Where to hide? Heading toward the garage, I decide on my roomiest hiding spot. There is a row of hedge in between the garage and house. It appears completely solid, but I had discovered two years ago, in third grade, that it is a hollow bush. There is a tunnel that leads to the center, that no one has discovered but me. Now I have to squeeze to get inside, but I can make it. My slipper falls off on my way into the hiding spot, so I yank it in through the tunnel. My elbow bumps into something, or someone, in the dark.

I get that horror-movie-chill again, but worse. I close my eyes. I am no longer in the safety of my own home. No one knows where I am. No one even knows that the bush is hollow. It’s the middle of the night. What if there is a poisonous snake next to me? Or a murderer on the run? I turn to see who or what it is, preparing myself to burst out of the hedge and run into the house. Slowly, I open my eyes.

Maria!

All my fear and worry vanishes in an instant. Maria is gazing upward at the stars. She doesn’t seem to see me. I look up, too. The stars seem very small and far away. It reminds me of the way Maria looked in Maggie’s Ice Cream Parlor, except she was alone, while the pinpricks of light in the sky seem to keep each other company.

“Hi,” I whisper. Maria and I can keep each other company, just like the stars do.

“Hi,” Maria replies. Now her voice is not a mumble. It is quiet but perfectly clear.

“What’s in the sky?” I ask.

Maria is silent for a long moment. I follow her gaze and find she is looking at the little dipper.

Finally, Maria answers my question. “The same moon and stars that are in the sky in Spain. Nothing else is the same, here.” I can see tears in Maria’s eyes. Highlighted by the moon, they look like little stars.

“You’re homesick.” I knew it as a fact, but Maria answered it as a question.

“A little.”

I realize I should apologize to Maria for all the many ways I might have hurt her. Even if she didn’t hear me saying all those mean things, my conscience will kill me if I don’t apologize.

“I’m sorry.”

I glance up, surprised. Did Maria just apologize to me? “For what?”

“I haven’t been very polite. I was too nervous to talk to you, or anyone else.”

“That’s all right. I wouldn’t expect anything more from someone who was adjusting to a new lifestyle. I’m sure if I moved to Spain and got a new family, I wouldn’t show my face for a week. You’re the bravest person I know. I’ve been selfish. I should have stood in your shoes, and tried harder to include you. I’m sorry.”

“Thanks.” Maria smiles at me, a smile that is warm, kind, gentle, and reassuring. I wish I could smile like that.

“You know, I just realized why stars are “like a diamond in the sky”. They really look like diamonds from here.” It is a random thought, but it really is true, and it seems to fit in the conversation somehow, so I say it.

We are both quiet for a moment, and I enjoy the silence, though I never really had the patience for it before. Somehow, the silence sounds sweet, sitting here next to Maria.

“Centelleo, centelleo, poca estrella,” Maria sings. “That’s Twinkle, twinkle, little star in Spanish.”

Then I remember why I came outside in the first place. To find Maria.

“Mom’s been looking all over for you,” I say. “I think she even called the police. We’d better go inside before she has a heart attack.”

“You first,” Maria says in response. I wiggle through the hedge into the moonlight. Maria is right behind me. Together, we rush to the house. Bursting through the front door, we throw ourselves into Mom’s arms. She hugs us tightly, murmuring into our hair. Though I can’t tell what she is saying, I know she is probably admonishing us never to go out at night again. Eventually, she pushes us away from her and looks us over.

“ Do you know what a fright you two gave me? You should be getting a telling off, but I’m too tired to give you one, so both of you, to bed, now,” Mom says, brushing leaves out of my hair. Dutifully, Maria and I go to our rooms.

I sit on Maria’s bed and give her a good-night hug, even though technically, it is morning already.

“Centelleo, centelleo, poca estrella,” I whisper into Maria’s ear. “Maybe you could teach me Spanish some time, sister.”

When I leave the room, Maria is smiling through the silent tears rolling down her cheeks.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.