"Just Another Act" | Teen Ink

"Just Another Act"

July 26, 2011
By lissa_ GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
lissa_ GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
16 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything."- Suckerpunch
"The purpose of life is to be a better version of yourself."- Lucy Hale


Summary:

I've been working on a play manuscript for a year now. Writing it makes me feel as if there's no bad in the world, and even if there was I could get rid of it with ease. Sucked into this world of mine with a smile, I hear my mom call my name. Instantly all the bad whooshes back.
I'm not like the average teenager. Although my friends like that about me, my parents don't. I don't expect this writing thing of mine is going to be a career. I also don't know what else I would want to do with my life. I wonder what people would think of me if they read what I wrote. Would they grimace but try and hide it? Would they enjoy it? No, not possible. Well, if that ever happened I wouldn't believe it anyway. Neither would my mom.


Melissa M.

"Just Another Act"


Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 4 comments.


TashaB said...
on Jan. 18 2013 at 1:10 pm
TashaB, Forrest City, Arkansas
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Truth is, everybody hurts you but you have to find the ones worth suffering for"

Hey Everyone! I've written a book as well and it's a nail biter.... Everyone read it :) It's called HOW I FEEL by TashaB

on Aug. 1 2011 at 9:55 pm
renthead96 BRONZE, City, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."

By "the first few chapters" I mean that's all I've read so far. I haven't finished it yet. But it isn't bad at all, trust me! Especially for your first time writing a story. It was well written, I was just offering some constructive advice :) But keep on writing, you've got a lot of great ideas!

lissa_ GOLD said...
on Aug. 1 2011 at 6:07 pm
lissa_ GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah
16 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything."- Suckerpunch
"The purpose of life is to be a better version of yourself."- Lucy Hale

Thanks for all the advice! What'd you mean when you said you enjoyed reading the first few chapters? Did you not like the rest of it? As far as the play, ya I didn't do any research on that because It wasn't a real important part of the story. It was just a way to introduce some things and end it. It didn't matter so much if it was actually a good play it just sort of tied in the story. But I deffinately could of done a better job on that part. This is the first story I've ever written. I just write poems and songs usually. I'll do better next time. Sorry!

on Jul. 31 2011 at 10:35 pm
renthead96 BRONZE, City, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."

I enjoyed reading the first few chapters of this book because of the narrator. I like her character, and that's what's great about using first person: your character can really shine through because it's them that's telling the story. I do have to say, however, that in the beginning when she's writing the script, it's not exactly correct in terms of playwriting. This could have been on purpose by you because perhaps you meant for the character to write that way. But if not, if you were trying to have it look like a real script, then I have a few suggestions: normally, the stage directions in parenthesis don't come up as often as you've written them. These are only essential if it is an action the playwrite intends for that scene that is important to what is happening onstage. Playwriting is so much different than regular writing because it's basically all dialogue; the actor/actress is expected to create their own actions, such as gasping or sighing, etc. And when your characters first enter a scene, it should say in parenthesis: Enter Stage Left/Right/Downstage Left, etc. Otherwise, besides a few minor grammar errors, this is an enjoyable story and it seems that the plot is lain out well.