More Than Words | Teen Ink

More Than Words

By samanthaschapman, Honolulu, Hawaii
samanthaschapman, Honolulu, Hawaii

Author's note:

I am a 16-year-old high-school student in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am currently a junior at Punahou School and enjoy writing fiction short stories and screenplays in my free time. My writing is inspired by the likes of Morgan Matson, Leigh Bardugo, and Sophie Hardcastle, and I hope to one day write stories that are even fractionally as loved as theirs. 

When I write stories, I strive to make the characters seem real. My ultimate goal is to tap into the ordinary, the common emotions that we all feel, and make them extraordinary. To create a character that feels viscerally true and allow them to tell a story that is so threaded and guided by emotion that it becomes impossible to forget because it feels like your own story. I strive for a tale with uncommon circumstances but common feeling that drives the plot and pulls you along with it. Short stories in particular are difficult in this sense because of the time constraint; there is no room for a slow development. However, if done right, this is what makes short stories so powerful: the way so much emotion and characterization is packed so densely into each word and action makes these stories feel rich and important.  

This story here is my first step in the long journey towards this goal. It is a first installation in a lifelong, ever-changing process. For this story, I was inspired by the idea of giving value to an ordinary tale. I began with the thought of a relationship, whether platonic or romantic, stemming from a job at a small-town movie theatre. Something beautiful coming out of something so common, so ordinary. Then I got to thinking about the characters themselves, their relationship, and the circumstances surrounding these things. I knew I wanted it to have a strong theme and toyed with the idea of centering it around one character’s family struggles in regard to their identity in the LGBT+ community. However, I later turned away from this idea in favor of incorporating LGBT+ characters with a theme centered elsewhere. I wanted to show that these characters had other stories to tell; I’ve noticed a spike in LGBT+ themed media recently, and most tell the important, inspiring stories of self-acceptance and assumption. However, for this story, I wanted to work with the other half of the coin on writing a story with LGBT+ characters with a plot and theme centered around something else entirely. I wanted to show that these characters weren’t just their gender or sexual identity, but rather shared similar stories as the rest of us.

Friday nights are the worst, however useful in keeping my mind off anything that isn’t a receipt, a soda cup, or the steady sound of the popcorn machine behind me. Today is no different. I flip the receipt around, pinning it to the counter with a pen. “Sign here,” I say as I turn and quickly shovel heaps of popcorn into one of the red and white bags. I hand it to the elderly couple and am turning to greet the next customers when my phone buzzes. I give a tight-lipped smile to the waiting family, and say, as politely as I can, “Would you excuse me for two seconds?”

I turn away and slip out my phone. It’s my older sister, Gina. Mom and dad are fighting again. I have to work late tonight, so I won’t be home until tomorrow. Just thought I’d give you a fair warning; maybe try to keep it down as much as possible when you get home. I expel a breath through my nose exasperatedly - not at Gina, I appreciate the heads up - but at my parents. Ever since my father’s father died two months ago, the dynamics in my house have become more tense, and in recent weeks it has only escalated. I once again wrestle with the idea of going to the police, just to get him away from my mother and into rehab, but know that my mother would be firmly against it, insisting he doesn’t even have a problem. 

I feel a light kick in my shin and look up. “Come on, I need some help over here,” Alana says, nodding at the growing line. She adeptly fills three soda cups at once, quickly glancing at me with unspoken concern.

“Sorry, sorry,” I say, turning back to the family who is anxiously waiting. 

The line stays miles long for at least two hours, and the text and my family leave my mind as I work to keep up with the steady stream of impatient people demanding to be fed. As always, it is just Alana and me on the shift, silently passing amused looks and jokes between us as we weave around each other. Had I been alone it would’ve been unbearable, but with someone there to smile and laugh with me over rude customers or spilled popcorn, it’s almost enjoyable. 

Finally, the crowd dwindles down and finds their respective theatres. We take a deep sigh of relieved exhaustion.

“How many?” she asks, looking over at me from where she has her elbows propped against the counter, lying back lazily.

“Eight-five,” I reply proudly, stacking and restacking the large soda cups to my right. A new record of customers served in two hours - I wasn’t going to admit I’d counted a couple pregnant women as two. I look her in the eye, raising my eyebrow in a challenge. She lets out a good-natured sigh of exasperation.

“Seventy-six,” she replies miserably, falling dead-weight onto the counter behind her. I laugh at her prone form.

“You’re so dramatic,” I tease, turning around to grab a wipe to clean the countertop; it has been touched and spilled on about a billion times in the last hour.

“You always win,” comes the muffled voice behind me as I make my way around the curved surface with my rag.

“That’s because I’m just better,” I say, poking her in the side to get her to move off of the counter. She groans and pulls herself up as I reach around to finish my round. Turning, I flick her in the face with the rag, eliciting a light scream from her as I laugh and throw it in the laundry bin.

“Okay, so the band of twelve-year-old boys seeing IT 2.” She takes up her spot on the counter again, legs swinging off the edge. 

“Definitely leaving in under an hour,” I finish. “And the three rude moms seeing the new pretentious art film.”

“Definitely walking out as well. They’re far from as cool as they think they are,” she replies with a small laugh, eyes twinkling. “And the dude bros supposedly seeing the Marvel movie—”

“Hey! Alana!” A band of five or so twenty-year-olds burst through the doors of the theatre. Alana’s eyes flick up and she slides off the counter. Her smile dims just a little.

“Hey, guys! Here to mock me while I work?”

I turn around and tune out their conversation, using the time to take a broom to the scattered kernels strewn across every inch of carpeting. Her friends glance at me curiously as I maneuver my way around the lobby waiting for their conversation to end. I hear quick goodbyes being shouted as the group retreats to their movie (Uncut Gems, I note with approval), and make my way back over to the counter. I dump the dust-pan upside down in the trash can and watch a stream of squashed yellow kernels fall out before placing it back in the closet and coming back to sit on the counter. Alana leans back contentedly, and I close my eyes and mirror her movements, letting myself relax for a second. 

“Hey, um – “. She pauses. I open one eye and see her watchfully studying my face with concern. So this is about the text I received earlier. I can tell she is about to ask me if I’m okay, so I hold her gaze and try to communicate what I can’t say out loud. Don’t ask. We don’t ask. 

I register reluctant understanding on her face, and gently let out the breath I was holding. She gives me a small smile. 

I smile back and sigh, resolve breaking a little. “I don’t really feel like going home.” 

She considers me for a moment before glancing away, squinting to consider the wall of chips and candy behind the register. “Hmmm…,” she starts humming. “What do you say we put that off for a couple of hours?” 

I note her mischievous grin and consider the consequences. My sister isn’t coming home tonight, and I think about my parents at home by themselves. They’re adults, I remind myself. They can handle themselves for one night. 

I look up, determined, a smile spreading across my face. “What do you have in mind?”

“Come on,” Alana says, as she finishes locking up the theatre from the inside. It’s midnight, and our shift has just ended. I follow her through the dark theatre by instinct, dodging the cardboard cut-out of Adam Driver and weaving around the counter. I follow her silhouette through the lobby and towards one of the doors to the theatres.

“Alana, what—”

She turns around, pressing her finger to her lips in a giggle. “Shhhhhh.” Turning around, she slowly eases the door open and beckons me to follow. Confused but compliant, I do. On the screen a movie is paused at its beginning, the A24 logo frozen on the screen.

“You see, I’m friends with the projectionist, so I agreed to lock up tonight and he let me play a movie from the movie machine,” she explains in a whisper as she leaps up the stairs to the row at the top.

“The movie machine?” I reply in an equal volume, suppressing my laugh.

“I don’t know what it’s called, okay?” she says jokingly, rolling her eyes. “Come on. I’ll be right back.” She gestures for me to enter the row before disappearing behind the door in the back of the theatre. I respond dutifully, moving to the middle and sinking into one of the plush cushions, kicking back my chair and reclining to the maximum. 

The movie on the screen begins playing, and Alana comes back to sit next to me, setting a large popcorn (which I know has sour patch mixed into it) between us. I recognize the opening shots immediately. 

“It’s Lady Bird,” she whispers. “Have you seen it?”

I pause, listening to the dialogue on screen before replying. “Too many times,” I finally say, smiling.

“Perfect,” she murmurs, satisfied. “Me too.” We turn back toward the screen just as Lady Bird launches herself out of the car.

Twenty minutes later, I am full on popcorn and have come to pull my legs up on the chair beside me in a more comfortable position. I watch the screen, completely relaxed for the first time in days. 

“I’ve always found this scene so romantic,” I whisper between our chairs, watching Danny and Lady Bird frolic in the orchard of flowers. “Even though it ends up being fake.”  

“Me too. Though I do think their relationship was genuine, even if they weren’t in love.” She pauses, and we watch them collapse onto the grass. “It’s so idyllic. What’s better than an empty field of flowers?” she says wistfully. 

I shrug, considering. “I’ve always been more a ‘dinner and a movie’ type person.”

I see her bite back a smile as she shovels more popcorn into her mouth. On the screen Danny and Lady Bird pick a star and name it.

I stumble home from the theatre at two o’clock. Alana, who somehow still has energy, insisted I go and that she stay and clean up. I tried protesting, but she was very stubborn about it and had much more energy to fight back than I did. I yawn and pinch the bridge of my nose as I trudge home. When did everything become so complicated? I’ve been working with Alana for six months now, since she moved here at the beginning of the school year. We have seen each other at least once, if not three or four times every week, and yet I have never seen her outside of work. At first, of course, it was because we had just met and weren’t particularly close. But as time went on, it started becoming a purposeful decision. I realized I liked having someone who didn’t know where I lived or who my parents were. I liked that she didn’t know what we did to get by or see me at my lowest. I liked that I could associate her with all the good parts of my life and none of the bad. But how long could I really keep that up for? 

I sigh as I reach my building and fumble with the door, all of a sudden too tired to think about it anymore. I finally get the handle to work and push open the door, stepping inside. At my door, I fumble with my keys, not bothering an attempt at stealth as I expect both my parents to be asleep: it’s 2:30am by now. However, as I stumble through the door, I see that the lights are still dimly lit and that my father is leaning on the table in the living room, body shaking. I must make a noise of surprise because he jumps and turns around, swinging a broken bottle I hadn’t seen in his hand towards me. I press my back up against the door behind me. His eyes can’t seem to decide on heart-break or rage. His knuckles are split and his hands shake. He hasn’t moved, and the hand holding the jagged bottle is still outstretched toward me. My voice trembles. 

“Dad. Dad, where’s mom?” 

He doesn’t respond but a tear leaks down his cheek and his hands begin to shake harder. 

My throat is closing up and I struggle for air. Tears well up in my eyes but I blink them away. 

“Where’s mom?” I ask again, now as a wet scream that tears from my throat. 

This gets to him, but not in the way I hoped. The tragedy disappears from his eyes, and the rage takes over. Panic and adrenaline course through me as I see him start to move, and I quickly slip out the door, running down the stairs as fast as I can, not looking behind me. I will my feet to move faster and then I’m out the door, running. I don’t stop as my tears blur my vision completely and it becomes painful on my lungs to cry and run at the same time. I don’t stop until I reach the brightly lit police station six blocks away, yanking the door open and stumbling inside, quickly rushing to the counter. “Please help,” I say, voice high-pitched and desperate. “1450 Ferdinand Way, apartment 20. There’s an emergency.” 

The serious woman behind the desk nods, and speaks quickly into her radio before turning to me. “Okay ma’am, I’ve sent someone on their way. Why don’t you sit down-”

I push off the counter and stumble back out of the building, finding a spot in the shadows of the streetlights and sliding down the concrete wall until I’m sitting with my head between my knees. My lungs burn from the run. Or from the cold air, or from crying. I can’t breathe and cry and think all at the same time and I don’t know what to do and where do I go? and what now? and what have I done? and I’ve forgotten how to breathe and I don’t know what to do and - 

“June?” 

I jerk my head up. What? 

Alana stands under the glow of the streetlight, bag slung across her body, one hand stuck in her coat pocket and the other holding her keys. 

“What-,” I start, glancing around. In the confusion, my brain seems to have frozen.

She sticks her right arm out, gesturing vaguely, eyes not leaving me. “I live right down the street.” Her brow furrows in concern, and she glances over at the police station. “But what are you doing here? It’s almost three a.m.” 

And with that, my brain speeds up again and I break eye contact, head falling back against the wall. I hear her approach, setting her bags down and coming to sit next to me. 

“June,” she pleads. “Please tell me what’s going on.” 

I tilt my head to look over at her. The tears in her eyes glimmer under the street lights. Her eyes search mine and my resolve breaks. I turn back away from her, taking a shuddering breath. 

“Um, my family. They’re kind of messed up. More so than most families, I guess.” 

I stare out into the black street and study the outlines of the trees and the cars and the buildings as I talk. It spills from me in a giant rush of words as I tell her about my sister and my mother and father. I tell her about my father’s slow decline and deterioration, my mother’s unwillingness to recognize it, and their constant fights. I tell her that I almost didn’t recognize the man clutching the broken bottle; that I didn’t know who he was, or what he was capable of, or where my mother was. That I still don’t know where my mother is. 

I stop, squeezing my eyes shut and pressing my head back against the concrete firmly, trying to grasp onto the steady pressure I find there. A hand covers mine where it rests on my knee. 

“June…” 

“No, wait.” I open my eyes and turn to her, forcing myself to hold eye contact. “I also want to apologize. That I didn’t tell you sooner. I know it’s not fair to you, but I didn’t want you to think any worse of me or pity me, and I liked that you didn’t know any of this about me, and it was selfish-” 

“June, stop.” She has shifted her shoulders so she looks at me head on. “You don’t need to apologize. Really. It’s not easy to let someone in and I didn’t mind being your escape from all that if it meant keeping you around. But I do care, June, and you’re right I have wanted to ask you about yourself for so long because I could see that you’re hurting and I just wanted to help it go away.” Her voice breaks and the brown of her eyes blur in her tears. 

She reaches forward and touches my cheek. And I lean forward and kiss her lightly.

She inhales sharply and kisses me back with equal care. I pull back slightly, resting my forehead on hers. I close my eyes and begin to breathe easier. We stay like that for a peaceful few minutes, warm breath mingling in the air between us. Finally, she pulls back slowly, a small smile on her face. Gently and regretfully she says, “As much as I love this, June, I think we need to go check on your family.” 

My mood falls, and I nod silently. She helps me stand and we head inside. The receptionist from earlier tells me that when the police arrived my father was crying and clutching a broken bottle, trying to break down the door into my parent’s room. She tells me that he was apprehended and that my mother was taken to Portsmouth Hospital. She gives me a tight smile as I turn around and lean against the desk, trying not to throw up. 

Alana insists on accompanying me to the hospital, which I’m secretly glad of because my spinning thoughts would have driven me insane without her calming presence to slow them down, hand gripping mine in the taxi ride there. I sink down into the seat, mind reeling as I stare out the window at the passing lights.

“You go ahead, June, I’ll pay,” Alana says when we arrive, urging me out of the car as she takes out her wallet. I thank her and rush away, quickly bursting through the automatic doors, tepid air and antiseptic smell hitting me immediately. I head to the receptionist. “My name is June Garcia, my mother, Doris, was brought in maybe an hour ago? Can you tell me if she’s okay?” 

The nurse glances up from her files and gives me a kind smile, assuring me gently: “Yes. She’s stable but asleep.” 

Relief courses through my body and my tears spill over. “Oh thank you so much.” I pause for a minute, wiping my eyes and trying to gather myself. “Do you-do you happen to know what happened?” My voice breaks and my fingers drum nervously on the speckled marble. 

“It’s clear from her injuries that she was hit a couple times,” she starts, as gently as possible. I suck in a sharp breath, tears pricking my eyes. “But the police said that even though her husband was holding a broken bottle when they arrived, it didn’t appear that he had hit her with it.” 

I sigh deeply, and give her a small smile, struggling between despair and relief. Alana comes up beside me and squeezes my hand. I squeeze back. “Do you think I can see her?”

The room is dark and she is still. The nurse leaves with strict instructions not to wake her up, so we feel our way to the two chairs perched next to the bed. I fall into one with a drawn out sigh as Alana comes to sit gently in the one beside me. I stare despondently at the wall, suddenly exhausted. I can sense Alana glancing over at me every so often but she doesn’t push, squeezing my hand tighter instead. We fall asleep in those small chairs, legs outstretched, necks bent forward, and hands joined. 

One week later, I’m in the passenger seat of her car and she won’t tell me where we’re going. “It has to be a surprise,” she says when I ask. “First dates are always a surprise.” 

“First date, huh? And since when?” 

“Since always,” she responds, cheerfully, not relenting any information. 

I sigh good-naturedly and look out the window. 

It’s a couple minutes before I say, “I gave my statement today.” 

She glances over, reading my face carefully. “And?” 

“And it feels good to have done it. Mom’s getting better; she still misses him, but I think she’s realizing now just how bad it got. She’s ready to give her statement but wants to see if we can get him sent to a government rehab facility instead of a prison.” I fiddle with the hem of my shirt. “I’m going to let her worry about that, though.” 

Alana reaches over and squeezes my hand. We sit in silence as I stare back out the window at the passing scenery, lazily trying to figure out where we might be going. After a minute or two, she grins over at me. “Okay, close your eyes.” 

I roll my eyes and do as I’m told. Eyes closed and trying to relax, I feel the car wind through the streets. I’m about to tell her that I’m becoming seriously sick, when the car comes to a stop. “Can I open my eyes now?” 

“No, hold on one second.” She lets go of my hand, and I can hear her unbuckling and getting out of the car. She opens and closes the back door, and I think I’m left alone. I sit there for a couple long minutes drumming my fingers on my knee and wondering what she’s up to before my door finally opens. “You can open your eyes now.” 

I blink them open and climb out of the car. We’re parked on the side of an empty road, facing a large field of cropped grass and wildflowers that stretches in front of me in every direction. The sun, rapidly approaching the horizon, sends pink rays racing across the empty blue sky. Alana runs down into the field, arms spread wide and grinning over a picnic she’s laid out. I let out a surprised laugh and rush forward, hugging her. She laughs and we spin around with my momentum. “Come on!” 

She sits down and pulls out strawberries, whipped cream, and milk chocolate. I plop down beside her and pull one of the extra blankets around my shoulders. “Sorry, I only brought dessert,” she chirps unapologetically, filling a strawberry with whipped cream. I shake my head in mock disappointment and reach for one myself. We scooch under the two big blankets she’s brought and look up at the stars. The sky is black now, and the stars glitter enthusiastically away from the city lights. We choose an extra shiny one and name it.