Dark Powers | Teen Ink

Dark Powers

December 13, 2019
By misraozoglu, Columbus, Ohio
More by this author
misraozoglu, Columbus, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

My name is Misra O, and I am a junior (11th grader) in high school. I love sleeping and eating the most, and I hate school. My family and friends are very important to me, but I am a very socially anxious person. I love animals and writing short stories like these are always fun to me. This story is from an idea and unfinished writing piece I made a long time ago, maybe in 6th grade. Anyways, I really like this idea I had, and I hope to continue it in the future and maybe make it a real short story. I chose this collection because I enjoy making up stories and creating a different world with characters that do not exist. I think I am very good at paying attention to detail, and writing the specific setting and time of a place. I also think I describe the characters in my stories really well, and make them seem almost real. 

The author's comments:

This chapter is the introduction to my story overall. I think it does a good job of introducing the characters who's lives are going to be the main focus of my story. 

I was standing a couple lockers away from the scene but I still had a clear view.  Lena was teasing some girl in a black hoodie. She always did that, I ever knew why. The girl was short and didn’t say a word. She had long black hair that curled out from under her hoodie. “You’re so weird, why are you here?” I heard Lena say with an almost evil smile. The girl turned around and made to leave and that’s when I noticed her black eyes. She looked at me and suddenly I felt cold. “Walk away freak, sorry about your parents.” The girl turned around for an instant and apparently that’s all it took. Lena’s face changed drastically. The twisted smile on her face changed to an uncertain fear and she turned deathly pale. She dropped to her knees and started screaming. Everyone stopped what they were doing to stare, even me and Ty. I closed my locker and walked over to her. She was now writhing around violently on the ground, crying. That’s when I noticed the girl with the black eyes speeding away from the scene. Ty and I exchanged a look and then I followed her. She turned a corner into an empty classroom and seemed to sense my presence, “Who are you?” the girl said. She whirled around and her eyes were no longer black. They were grey. “Did you do that?” I ask quietly. She looked at me for a while and then turned away. “What the hell happened?” I pressure. “You should go,” she says, turning her head ever so slightly. Suddenly I notice the desks in the classroom are slightly shaking. I hold my hand out but can’t seem to stop it. “What is wrong with you?” I say expectantly. She turns around and gives me a cold look, “A lot,” she whispers. She tries to speed past me but I grab her arm, and I’m suddenly lurching backwards into a wall. “Sorry,” she mumbles. I dust myself off and turn around to face her, “I would kill you, but I should save my energy,” I say frowning. “If you don’t tell me what happened I’ll tell Mrs. Ristell. She gives me a long hard look. “My powers,” she says quietly, “they aren’t the best.” “Details, details,” I caution, settling on a desk. “I don’t have a gift,” she says. “Everyone has a gift,” I say noticing the urgency in her voice. “I can get into people’s minds,” she finally admits, “but I can only hurt people.” I frown, “I still don’t get it.” She started to get angry, the desk I’m sitting on is shaking more intensely now. “If I look at someone with anger in my eyes, I can get into their minds and pull out their worst fears, or memories, or even nightmares. I can make them remember every painful thing they have ever seen or feared. And the worst part, I can see it too. Their fear, or nightmare or worst memory… even if I don’t want to.” She looks at me, I hop off the desk that instantly falls when I’m no longer holding it down. “Wow, so you saw Lena’s fears, oh pray tell,” I say eagerly. “No, her worst memory, and it’s not funny at all. I invaded her privacy and I’m not gonna tell anyone,  they don’t need to know, heck I don’t.” “Well you looked at her,” I say. “I was angry!!” she looks at me and her eyes are darker now, I back up. “She should’ve left me alone.” I nod. She stares at me a while longer, then turns to leave. “What’s your name?” I say. She stops in the doorway, “Rose,” she says then turns back towards me. “I won’t tell anyone. I get having dark powers, and thanks for sharing you business.” I say slightly smiling. She grips the doorway with her hand and manages to smile. She holds her hand in the air and the rattling of the desks stop. The bell rings, and before she turns around I notice her eyes quickly revert back to a light grey. 

“What were you doing, Zar?” Ty says, still standing by my locker. “Don’t worry about it, what happened to Lena?” “Mrs. Ristell came out, and took her to the clinic I think, do you know what happened?” he says staring into my eyes. Ty always knows when I’m lying and whenever I am, he just stares at me until I crack. This time I don’t. “How would I know? Anyways, gotta get to class.” I plant a kiss on his cheek and zoom down the hallway to catch up to Isabella. “Hey, Bella,” I say as we disappear down the hallway. She turns towards me and mutters “Hi,” before clutching her book tighter to her chest and speeding up. I snuck a look at her book. The Dead End. Sounds like something she would read. She turns to me and says, “Well this is me, bummer we couldn’t talk Zara.” Then she disappears into her classroom. She’s a weird kid. I round the corner and enter my classroom just before the bell rings. I slip into a seat next to Benji, Danny and Cat. Benji turns around and grabs me by the collar of my shirt so I raise my hand only slightly and send every book flying towards him. They all hit him at once and Cat is doubled over with laughter while Danny cracks a smile. Benji stands up and brushes himself off. “Excuse me,” he mutters. I smile, “Shouldn’t have touched her,” Cat says, kicking his chair over. Benji frowns, “Anyways, I was trying to get your attention because the queen of evil women is giving a presentation today,” “No, it’s more like putting her own spin on a story that already exists,” Danny interrupts. “Ok, didn’t have to touch me though,” I say. The class quiets down as Mrs. Ferri enters. Lena brightens up when she comes in, then squeals in delight and grabs a book. She shuffles up to the front of the class and waves to her friends. I notice Rose is in this class but secluded at the very back, she’s almost invisible. “Ok,” Lena begins. “I’m doing this analysis on this story that I’m holding, that’s in this book I’m holding,” she says frankly. “So first, I’m going to give a summary like thing on this story,” she says and opens the book. 

I didn’t know how important this story was going to be, but it was: There was a girl named Arissa, she was being held in a “special home” or house for the insane, but she wasn’t insane. She just had trouble controlling her powers, so people thought she was a danger, and in a way she was. She had wind powers, in other words she could move the air. Because she couldn’t control her powers, she caused things like earthquakes, heavy winds, and tornadoes. They injured people, and for that reason, she was locked  up for being a threat to normal people. She was confined in a metal room, where her powers couldn’t easily tear off the roof. But Arissa was severely bothered. She had recurring nightmares every night and was heard screaming horribly every day, while powerful winds blew as well. Her nightmares were fueled by the same horrid memory. It was a day in the past, but would affect her present and future. She used to be happy, Arissa. She lived with her mother and she protected her, but one day her emotions tore everything apart. She had come home one night, particularly angry about something. It was never known what, maybe a boy. She was heartbroken and angry and wanted to be left alone, but she wasn’t. Her mother tried to talk to her, which ultimately caused her death. Arissa couldn’t contain her anger. Her anger triggered a terrible wind storm. Their home was torn apart, and Arissa’s mother was blown through a window and onto a rock, which instantly caused her death. When Arissa had calmed down, she searched for her mother and eventually found her. She lay on the ground, bleeding from her head and died in Arissa’s lap, constantly telling her she was forgiven, but she never believed her. After that, Arissa was never the same, she convinced herself she was an insane killer and could never do anything good. She eventually got out of her prison and ran away, but to nowhere in particular. She met with one of her mother’s good friends, Dominic. “I want to help you, but it will be hard,” he had said “You came to me late, so there will be much trouble to face, but we will try.” Dominic tried to help Arissa but she really couldn’t be helped. She came across a man named Tiono on a walk. He promised her great things. “Child, I’ve seen what you’ve done, you could never help the world in the way you wish.” “You cause destruction everywhere you go and you can’t even be helped. Come with me, I will help you. I will give you purpose and at least one reason to live,” he had told her that day. And she agreed. Her confidence was so low, so she agreed. Tiono treated her like the father she never had, and sent her on missions to destroy his enemies, and use the only thing her powers were good for, destruction and pain. Arissa never went back to Dominic, and eventually was ordered to kill him. “You’re better than this, Arissa Dean. Your mother, think of her. You really want to do this to her?” “My mother is dead, I killed her Dominic, that’s all I can do.” So Arissa killed Dominic. She used her powers to throw him into a storm where he couldn’t escape. Only the instant after, she felt sick to her stomach after realizing what she let herself do. It was too late to change it now though. So she left. She ran from Tiono, but not before she informed him of what her plans were. Enraged, he sent an army of his men to kill her, the girl he had once considered his daughter. Once she was no longer useful to him, he disposed of her. “Never say I made you do this Arissa! You did this to yourself. You were always nothing. You killed your mother, her best friend. You don’t have reason to exist anymore. Your don’t have a purpose, you never had a purpose.” With those words Arissa ran to the Everside Cliffs and jumped off. She used her powers to make the wind speed up her death. She felt she needed to die a painful death to show how truly sorry she was. And she did. Lena’s story ended here. It was now time for her version of the analysis. “So,” Lena said, still smiling, “The moral of this story, don’t be Arissa,” she laughed. “No but don’t. If you can’t control your gifts, get help. Before it’s too late. You can have a strong gift and still do good things. Never hesitate to get help.” Lena went to sit down but stopped for a minute and stood back in front of the class. She closed her book and threw it on her desk. “Tiono was a dorian. What’s that, you ask? Someone who makes your worst memories and thoughts come back to you. That’s how he controlled Arissa, he made her see her dead mother over and over again. He was like the devil, makes sense why he’s the antagonist, huh?” She then took a long hard look at Rose, making her out in the darkness. I turned around and looked at Rose. Mrs. Ferri and the class did too. “Right, Rose? Don’t hide, honey. Just striking up some conversation,” she smiled a devious smile. What Rose did was cruel, but for Lena to point her out in front of the whole class was far worse. “So, Dorian, was Tiono like your grandpa, I mean it would make sense, the whole dark witch thing.” “Lena!” Mrs. Ferri shouted. Rose stood up and was only inches from Lena’s face. “So sorry about Raymond, Lena, I feel for you,” she said quietly. I don’t know what she meant, but I do know the color was once again drained from Lena’s face. 

This school is filled to the brim with drama. Something is always happening. And Lena was usually the cause. “How dare you!!!” she screamed. “You freaking witch, you need to be locked up like Arissa, you’re a threat and I’ll make sure everyone knows,” she snarled. “No, Lena please, I’m sorry I re-” “NO, you won’t come here again, I promise!!” She stormed out of the room, not before shoving Rose violently into the wall. Raymond, she said something about Raymond, I wonder what it meant. “Her boyfriend,” Danny says, almost reading my mind. “Raymond Summers, he was Lena’s boyfriend for like 3 years, they were really close, remember? And then Lena comes to school all teary eyed, saying Ray left, moved somewhere. Never specified where or why. And it was forgotten, Lena moved on, so the school did.” “Do you think maybe he’s dead?” Benji popped up from under a desk. “I mean that explains “teary eyed” “never specified” right Dan-man?” he roped his arm around Danny’s shoulder but he brushed it off. “Ok maybe Benji, but never call me that.” Mrs. Ferri ushered us out, and said we could do whatever until next period. Cat walked up to me, “What’s up, sister?” she said, smiling. “Hold on,” I said, spotting Rose. “Hey! Wait up, you know me, right? I just wanna conversate.” Rose stopped and turned around, her hoodie was tied around her face in an attempt to block the running black makeup. Upon looking closer, I noticed the blood running down her arm, her black sleeve covered it up nicely, but before I could say anything, she was gone. “What were you getting at, Zar,” Cat said from behind me, but I just shook my head. 

Later on, at the orphanage, Rose sped down the narrow hallway that led to her room, at the very end. She opened her door and frantically dug around in her drawers. She found the little white cloth, stained with blood from days before. Taking out the thin blade she held tightly in her hand, she began to calm down. The blood from her arm was beginning to drip. She ran out of her room and into the bathroom. No one was in it, thank god. She flung her hoodie into the bath, and ran the water. She was a mess. Runny makeup, messy bun, blood everywhere. She sat down inside the bathtub, with her hoodie and all her clothes. She began to doze off, when she heard a familiar voice. “Rose, are you in there? I think we need to talk, I heard about what happened,” Tilly knocked frantically at the door. Rose answered it, wet and bloody, which utterly shocked Tilly. “Jesus Christ, kid. What’d you do?” Before Rose could stop it, Tilly was dragging her through the hallways and into her ugly yellow office. “What happened? At school? With the Lena girl?” she pressed while violently scrubbing blood from Rose’s hands. “Did you find a new blade?” she said quietly. Rose just looked up for a moment, to meet her eyes. “Yeah,” she whispered. “Rose, what’s it gonna take, kid? I wanna help you, but you gotta help yourself. C’mon” “She wouldn’t leave me alone, ok? There’s nothing else I can do, Tilly, and I don’t care anyways.” Tilly pulled out a wrap from her desk. “I know what that girl’s family is like. They’re rich, they’ll definitely press charges. We can’t afford that. And that doesn’t help you.” “I don’t care,” Rose snapped, “Some people weren’t meant to win.” “Stop!” Tilly clocked her over the head. “You’re so messed up, kid. You need fixing. You’re out of here if you make one more mistake. And I know you do care. You don’t want to be a kid on the streets. I know that. You wouldn’t make it, trust me.” Rose looked up, and stared at the bandage on her arm. “Gimme the blade, kid, you don’t need it.” Rose walked to her room, with Tilly trailing close behind. She opened the drawer, and tossed the cloth over to Tilly. She shook her head, “I think we had enough talking today, and anyway Anne’s outside,” she smiled. Rose smiled back, and ran out of her room. She went outside, to the stoop above the pond, where Anne sat, her legs over the edge. “Hey Anne, how are you?” Anne didn’t look up, but she nodded. Anne was a small girl, she had dark brown hair, and light purple eyes. She always had the same look of confusion in her eyes, the same lost, needed to be found look. “Really tired today,” she croaked, “I don’t know.” She looked down at the pond, and stared intently at the fish. “Their lives are so boring, all they do is swim around all day in the same pond, and eat the same food, and see the same fish.” “Not a care in the world,” Rose said, watching Anne’s expression. “None at all”. 

Anne was Rose’s best friend. She was someone very important to her. When she had bad days, when she was sad, when she just needed reminding that everything would be okay, Anne was there. Anne’s mother had sent her to the orphanage some years ago when she was only a child. Anne’s mother was sick, and was only given a year to live, while her father was a criminal and angry man. Her mother had sent her away because she knew she wouldn’t be able to take care of her, but Anne was deeply attached to her. She would visit her in her small cottage every chance she got.

“How is she?” Rose asked.

“I think she’s getting worse, but she’s trying to hide it,” she says with a sad smile. 

Rose smiles back at her, and takes her hand. She wants to help, but doesn’t really know how, so she just sits with her. The two stare out in the distance, and listen to the tranquil water. They don't make a sound or move, and simply enjoy the calming feeling. For once in their hectic lives, they felt comfortable. 

Tilly watched from the windowsill of the orphanage, as Rose and Anne simply stared out at the water. Rose was a very sad kid. Her house had burned down, with her parents in it. Her father’s body was discovered, but never her mother’s. The thought that her mother could still be alive kept her awake at night, but she knew better than to hope for anything. Tilly had taken care of her since that day at the house. The minute she saw her, she wanted to save her. After some 11 years, she figured out she couldn’t, though she tried. 

“Hey, Anne and I are gonna go get some ice cream, if that’s okay with you?”

“Sure, kid, but don’t stay out too late. You know how it gets around here.”

Rose nodded and bounded out the front door with Anne trailing close behind. 

“I don’t think she’s weird.” Danny says, turning to face Benji.

“Of course you don’t, you’re weird. These are, like, your people man.”

Danny smacks Benji on the head, “Don’t be so inconsiderate, man, you don’t know what she’s been through.”

“Maybe, but she’s freaky.” 

“And no woman will ever love you, Benji, so which is worse?” Zara says turning around. Tyler chuckles. Tyler and Zara have been dating for over 2 years, and they are kind of the school couple. Although, they tend to fight a lot and argue over little things, they care about each other a lot. Danny and Benji are best friends and although they argue sometimes and fight, they also care about each other a lot. Everyone at Highview University has a story, everyone is their own person and goes home to a completely different world. Although this college is reviewed as one of the best learning experiences for young adults, it is located in the poor part of town. The part of town with gangs, murder and people with bad intentions hiding in the shadows. It’s never a good idea to walk alone at night, or at night at all. Tons of people at Highview are involved in gangs. Its’ doors are open to anyone and everyone. But there is one group of students who remain special. They are some of the many kids with potential, and some of the best students. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.