Taking Terror | Teen Ink

Taking Terror

By kellings, Dresser, Wisconsin
kellings, Dresser, Wisconsin

Terrorists are the worst thing on the planet. That is why I spent months of training to become a United States Special Ops Team. It had been my dream since I was a little kid, but I knew I would not have made it if it were not for my determination. My biggest dream was to wipe out terrorists forever. I made it through training and was now out in Afghanistan waiting for orders to go out and attack another group of terrorists before they could make it to their destination. I had been out in Afghanistan for seven months now, and I had seen my share of fights. Even though everything I had seen in those fights was bad, I was determined not to lose courage and to follow through with my goal of ending terrorism.

“Aaron, command has given us the okay to move forward with the operation,” shouted the captain of the small base in Afghanistan that Aaron and his Special Ops team were positioned in for the next four years of his deployment.

All around the base people started throwing on their armor and started loading their guns. Everyone was issued a standard military M-16, but some people in the base had snipers, and some had heavy machine guns. For me, I carried a standard M-16, but I had the choice to bring whatever weapon I wanted.

“The drones have been released,” shouted our communications person.

Before we go outside, we release a bunch of drones in the air. That way we can see where the enemy is, we can have a video feed to analyze tactics after we get back, and so the government can watch us live to see how we operate.

“Everything is all clear, let’s get moving!” I yell as I watch the video feed.

We all run out of the base and into our camouflaged garage where we store our Humvees with mounted belt-fed .50 Cal machine guns. The ground rumbles as they are started up and driven outside and towards the east where there is a caravan of terrorists transporting weapons and troops to a nearby town, no doubt to take it over and set up a new base.

“We’re two minutes out, when we get there, we need gunners up in those machine guns to take out anything that moves, then I need a perimeter set up in case they have surprises. After that, we take what we need and blow the rest,” I yell into the radio as we’re bumping around through the desert on our way to our destination.

“Up there now,” I yell to the guy next to me as the caravan is just coming into sight.

He scrambles up into the gunner spot, pulls back the bolt, and releases it, making a snapping noise as a bullet is pushed into the chamber and the gun is loaded. I look back at the three vehicles behind us and see the gunners in their positions, ready. I turn back around and see the caravan in clear sight.

“Open up,” I yell at our gunner.

Immediately, he yanks his finger back on the trigger and the gun starts throwing bullets at the enemy. As we get as close as we should get to them, our driver whips to the side and stops. I throw myself out the opposite side as the terrorists and lay down at the edge of the vehicle, watching for any movement as the other Humvees pull up behind us. Guys start flooding out, and I take my team with me as I start running down towards the vehicles where piles of bodies lay, cut down by the four belt-fed machine guns of our vehicles. As we arrive at the first vehicle, three of my guys cover me while I check it to make sure nobody is in it. Once it’s cleared, we move on to the next vehicle and keep repeating that process for eleven vehicles. As we are going to the twelfth vehicle, I hear some movement inside it, so I signal to my guys that someone is inside. Immediately, half of the group goes to the other side of the truck. One guy pulls out a flash-bang and throws it in, we all look away as it goes off. After it goes off, I swing around the side with my gun up looking for any movement, one of the guys on the other side jumps up and begins searching for the person. All of a, sudden I hear a click, being trained to listen for that, I yell bomb and dive to the side. The guy from inside the truck comes leaping out as all the guys dive away and the truck explodes. As quickly as I can I turn to see if there are any enemies, but I only see an exploded truck. I then turn to the guy who was inside the truck and see that he was lying on the ground bleeding bad out of his left leg and back.

Instantly, one of my guys yells, “MEDIC,” and starts running up to the Humvees.

Two other guys run down next to me and help me bandage his bleeding cut. The medic comes running up.

”He got a piece of shrapnel from his knee all the way up half his back,” I tell him as he leans down and shoots morphine from a syringe into the guys back to help with the pain.

The rest of my group started placing C-4 in each truck and wiring them to a detonator.

“Move out,” I shout as two guys lift the stretcher that the wounded guy was placed on.

As all the guys started running up to our vehicles. I make a quick check through each truck to make sure the explosives were placed correctly and wired right. After I was sure they were placed and ready, I ran up to our vehicles as everyone was loading up to leave. One of my guys handed me the detonator as I was loading all my stuff into my vehicle.

“We’ll drive about 200 feet out before I detonate it,” I said as we started off back towards our base.

“Head back, I’ll detonate at a close range, then meet up with you at base,” I say into the radio to the other vehicles as we start slowing down.

As we stop, I stare back at where we had just been. Click, BOOM. A giant ball of fire came shooting up out of the explosion as the trucks and weapons were all exploded.

“Mission accomplished, we’re on our way back,” I say into the radio to our captain back at base as our driver starts out to catch up with the other people heading back so we can rest up and prepare for the next mission.

Once we got back to base, we had some nice, resting days. There were no terrorist groups near us because the closest one got wiped out by a different base. I took the time to clean my gun and gear, because out in a place like this you need to have everything ready just in case something happened. I was lucky because something did happen.

We were all getting ready to go to sleep. It was three days after our last mission, and we had just switched patrol groups. I was making sure my bag was all packed with necessary ammo and rations when I heard a high-pitched scream from outside the base followed by an explosion nearby. At that same moment, our alarm system went off, telling everyone to get up and go fight whatever was attacking us. I got up as fast as I could, put my armor on and grabbed my gun. I was the first one out the door with sixteen other guys hot on my heels. Most of the guys ran for the various windows and camouflaged exterior rooms to start shooting these guys. Two guys followed me, and we split off and went up a ladder into a room where we had a 30mm cannon disguised in the side of the hill with a .50 Cal machine gun next to it. The two other guys immediately turned on the radio, listening for coordinates of where to shoot while I loaded a belt into the gun and started firing at any movement I saw. We had been up there for about fifteen seconds when I saw a mortar fire from somewhere farther back, I watched as the shell landed right in front of our garage. As quickly as I could I turned my gun to where the mortar was, loaded a new belt into the gun, and started throwing tracer shells at that mortar as fast as the gun would fire. After there were no more shots being fired back at us, I followed the other two guys back down into our base. Being trained for first aid, everyone in the base was helping get people to our little room where everything medical was stored and the injured were treated.

“Four people hit; I need two guys per person helping them. Everyone else needs to get supplies together and go after the guys that escaped,” shouted the captain.

“They got the injured guys, let’s get our stuff and get our vehicles,” I tell my Special Ops group as people start rushing to help.

Everyone grabs their gear as we run out into our garage to the Humvees. We tear off as fast as we can in the direction the fleeing terrorists went.

“They might have some surprises for us so be careful and be ready,” I say to the guys in my vehicle and into the radio to the other vehicles.

I knew we were catching up to them fast, but I knew something was wrong. Our problem was that it was getting dark. We didn’t have any floodlights on our Humvees, so I had to make a quick decision.

“I know it’s getting dark, but we have to catch them before they get back to any hideout,” I say into the radio to the other vehicles and the captain back at base.

“That’s fine, just make sure you guys finish before it gets too dark otherwise you guys will have a disadvantage,” the captain replies.

“There they are,” the driver yells.

“We have ten guys laid in holes on the top of that tiny hill,” I say into the radio.

Immediately, the gunners for our mounted machine guns jump up to their positions and settle themselves in. They load the guns and aim them right at the enemy.

“Open up,” I yell out to our gunner.

Just as he starts firing, the terrorists start firing back. Luckily, the Humvees have bulletproof glass because bullets start peppering our windshield.

“We need to get out there,” I tell the driver.

Knowing what I mean, he whips to the side so the vehicle will shield us as we get out. The sniper in my vehicle immediately goes to the front and hides behind the tire, searching for enemies through his infrared/night-vision scope. I run to the next vehicle. They have done the same thing as us, only they are closer.

“Are we staying in cover or should we charge at them?” I ask the leader of the other group that came out with us.

“We’d better stay back; they have good cover and we’d just get cut down if we charge them. Our best option right now is to pick them off with snipers and keep them ducking with heavy machine guns,” he says.

“That’s fine for a bit, but we have to have them taken care of before it gets too dark. We need to just take a Humvee right up that hill and right on top of them,” I tell him.

As part of my team is loading into a vehicle with me, a couple of guys throw grenades at the enemy while some others lay cover-fire with heavy machine guns. Everyone in the vehicle puts fresh clips in their guns and make sure they’re loaded so they will be ready as soon as we jump out. As we are nearing our target, the grenades go off. Luckily, it was at the right time because we stop and jump out just as the terrorists are starting to recover. We all start shooting at everything that moves. Once we have killed them all, we start loading up to head back to base. Suddenly, shots start ringing out in the night. I see flashes but I also realize that the captain was right about being back before it gets too dark. I see flashes from guns, but I can’t see anybody at all. We all climbed into the vehicles as fast as we could.

I yelled into the radio, “we have to get back to base, it’s too dark out to fight these people. Set some charges or something and let’s get the hell out of here.”

One of the vehicles falls behind and guys start throwing fist-sized balls anywhere behind us they could. I knew what they were doing, they were throwing out grenades that went off whenever there was movement within a ten-foot radius.

“We got guys after us, but we’re on our way back to base because it’s too dark out there for us to fight back,” I say into the radio to our captain back at base.

“Good choice, we got some Apache Helicopters coming in tomorrow so we can just fly in and blow up anything we can. It's going to be part of a big operation to either wipe out terrorists or confine them to a small area so we can just go in with Apaches and tanks to just blow them up and hopefully finish off terrorism forever,” he replies to me.

“Good, we’ll be back soon,” I tell him.

Suddenly, the lead vehicle explodes and goes flying into the air. Shots come ringing out from either side.

“Contact, contact. We have one vehicle blown, ambushed from both sides,” I yell into the radio as our driver whips toward one side to run over whatever is attacking us.

“Hold them off, the support team is on its way. A nearby base has been alerted and they can send a team in ten minutes,” the captain tells me as we are nearing some flashes of light.

Suddenly, we start bumping over things. I figured they were people because there are fewer shots around us. The driver whips around to go back towards the rest of the guys on this side.

“Go without me,” I yell as I jump out the door and lay on the ground.

I plan to just lay on the ground and pick off people wherever I see them. As I'm about to shoot at someone, I realize that if I shoot, my guys will see me. The problem with that is then they might shoot at me because they might think that I am a terrorist. Immediately, I put a flash hider on my gun that almost completely hides the flash and changes the flash to a color that my guys will recognize as soon as they see it.

Once I know that the flash hider was secured, I started picking off guys I knew was terrorists. It wasn't easy though considering that it was an eerie, pitch black with the flashes and noise. I remembered that I had my radio, so I pulled that out since I needed some way to contact my team and the incoming support team.

“Anyone there,” I say loud enough so they can hear me on the radio but quiet enough that any nearby surviving terrorists couldn’t hear me and shoot in my direction.

“Yeah, I'm here” I hear from the radio.

“Good, I'm hiding on the north hill. I've picked a couple of guys off and I have my flash hider in,” I reply to the voice.

“OK, we got most of those guys picked off. I’ll tell the other guys and we’ll just focus on the south side and let you finish off everyone on that hill,” he tells me.

Quickly and quietly, I creep around. I listen for any movement that could tell me a terrorist is still alive. Suddenly, I feel a body. I quickly recoil and pull my gun up, but nothing moves. I feel again and I feel blood and bullet holes throughout the body. I then start moving again when I hear some movement. I strain my eyes and see a shape moving slowly against the very dim moonlight. I pull up my gun and slowly crawl towards the moving terrorist. Once I get close enough to make sure that it’s a terrorist, I pull up my gun and pull the trigger in and let it out for a quick burst. The body falls, unmoving.

I check the hill for another ten minutes. In that time, I hear plenty of shots that tell me that there were a lot of guys on the south hill. I’m almost done checking the hill when I hear the roar of engines that sound like our Humvees. Seven vehicles come roaring from the direction of our base. I recognize three of them and realize the other four must have gone to the wrong spot somewhere in between our position and our base. I cheer up quickly as I watch four floodlights light up the entire area that we’d been in for the last twenty or thirty minutes.

After we finish off the terrorists, we count our losses.

“Five guys dead, lost one vehicle,” I report to our captain through my radio.

“Just get back here, we don’t need any more losses,” he replies to me.

Once we got back, time flew by. I got rushed through our small hospital for a quick checkup, then on for our burial service for our dead guys. The sun was just starting to rise when I finally fell asleep. Even though we had taken some losses, I knew that I was a step closer to making my dream of wiping terrorism come true.