I Would Never | Teen Ink

I Would Never

By crystalll, Los Angeles, California
crystalll, Los Angeles, California

My name is Princess and I have a lot of stories to tell...but there is one story in particular that I want to share. It all starts with a boy named Adrian, my best friend. Adrian and I have been through so much together from just becoming friends to sharing secrets we wouldn’t dare to share with no one. As time passed by Adrian and Betty got together which was very weird because of how it down. At first he didn’t feel anything for her because he had feelings for someone else but until I mentioned that Betty liked him,  he then decided to ask her out the very next day. Betty was my friend and was a lot closer to me than she is with Adrian. Adrian and I would hang out every single day at school but then we got distant from each other after him and Betty started dating. I felt alone and I felt hurt because that was my best friend, a very important person in my life, and I felt like I didn’t have him in my life no more. I had decided to talk to Adrian about how I felt. “I just feel hurt because ever since you and Betty started dating we haven’t been hanging out anymore nor talk as much and I get that but it’s like I have a boyfriend too but I always make time for you too,” I said to him. “Honestly I would make time for you but we both have relationships and I just thought you were mad at me because I tried talking to you but you ignored me,” he responded. “I don’t remember you trying to talk to me but if anything I probably just didn’t hear you because I would never ignore you,” I said to him blah blah tone. “I’m sorry,” Adrian said to me. “It’s fine,” I told him. We then ended the conversation from there and began to talk a little more again but we still haven’t hung out as much. I began to blame Betty for being the reason why Adrian and I didn’t hang out no more. I didn’t tell Betty that I blamed her but everybody else knew that she was the reason why my bestfriend and I didn’t hang out. I would give Betty attitude, I would roll my eyes, I would ignore her, I would give her signs to let her know that I was mad at her. She then came to me and said,” I feel like you don’t like me.” And I replied back by saying, “It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s just you’re kind of the reason why Adrian and I don't hang out anymore but you’re a cool person I guess.” I can tell that she would always try to make me want to be cool with her by the way she acted and spoke to me. I guess she didn’t like what I said to the point where she went to go tell Adrian what I said and he didn’t like it either. “Hi,” I said to him when I saw him passing by. He ignored me and just kept on walking by. I walked over to him and asked him, “What’s wrong?” “Betty told me what you said to her and that’s my girlfriend and I don’t want to be friends with you if you keep on doing that,” he said to me. “Okay,” I said in such a sad tone. It was time to go to our next class and I didn’t go to class right away, I went to the restroom because I was crying. I knew I was going to be late to class so after I cried and wiped my tears, I went to the main office to get a pass so that I can re-enter my class. I went into class making it seem like I wasn’t just crying but everybody in that class knew that something was off. Adrian, Betty, and I had the same class but I didn’t talk to neither of them. Class was over, we went to our next class and I just started to cry again because I was hurt by what Adrian said and that was all I was thinking about. Us being best friends suddenly didn’t mean nothing, it’s like he threw away our friendship for someone he just got with. I had 6th period with Betty which was the class that we were now walking into and I was talking to my friends, debating whether I should go apologize to Betty for taking things out on her. I decided to go and talk to her. “Betty, can I talk to you?” I asked her. “Umm...yeah,” she responded back. I could hardly speak because I was crying too much and my words couldn’t come out. “Okay so…,” I said trying my best to speak. I took a deep breath and tried to say what I was trying to say.”Okay so…hold on just give me a second,” I said trying my best to speak again. “Okay so...I’ve been giving you attitude because you’re sort of the reason why Adrian and I haven’t been hanging out and I felt bad because it was nothing personal against you, I was just hurt,” I told her. “Oh, I didn’t know,” she said. “Well, yeah,” I responded back to her. “I have a question. What would you do if Bryce had a girl best friend and obviously you two are dating, what would you do if she talked about her body with him?” she asked. “I would talk to her. Why, who was talking about their body with him?” I asked Betty. “No, no one. It was just a question,” she said. I responded back with, “You don’t just ask questions like that without there being a reason. Was Diana talking about her body with Adrian?” “No, it wasn’t Diana,” she said. She started to laugh as she looked at her friend that was sitting behind me and said “yeah”. I had a feeling that she was talking about me since she wouldn’t tell me and she usually tells me things like that but at the same time it couldn’t have been me because I’ve never talked about my body with Adrian. The next came and I totally forgot about what Betty had said. Bryce came up to me. Bryce was my boyfriend at the time this happened. “What did you talk about with Adrian?” he yelled. “What’re you talking about?” I said so confused because I had no idea what he was talking about. He then said again, “What did you talk about with Adrian?” I walked away because he wasn’t explaining anything to me and I was going to be late to class if I didn’t hurry up. He grabbed my hard and said, “Tell me what the hell you were talking about with Adrian.” “First of all, don’t ever put your hands on me like that ever again!” I said to him. But as soon as he said that, everything started to add up. Now I know why Betty asked me that question yesterday and why Bryce came up to me saying what he said. I asked,  “Are you talking about me supposedly talking about my body with Adrian?” “Yup,” he responded. “Are you serious right now? Look, believe whatever you want to believe but all I’m going to tell you is that I never ever did that because I would never disrespect anyone’s relationship like that and I would never talk about my body with someone like that,” I said to him angrily because I was so upset about what was being said. “I don’t know what to believe,” Bryce said. “Whatever Bryce, I’m not about to argue with you about this because I know I never said nor did that,” I told Bryce while walking towards the class I was about to be late to. The rest of the day was passing by and I was still so angry. I told my friends and my cousin about what was going on and what was being said. They all thought it was crazy how my own best friend could do that and say things that we all knew wasn’t true. I decided that during lunch I was going to confront both Adrian and Betty for try to spread something so sick and twisted, especially since it was not at all true. I confronted Betty first with Denise on the right side of me. Betty said that she was talking about me when I had asked her if she was talking about me when she had asked me that question. She looked at me with a face of guilt and tried to make me feel like I was saying nonsense. I then called Adrian over after I ended the conversation with Betty. “Adrian you know that I never did that. I would never ever in my life disrespect someone’s relationship like that nor mine so I don’t get why you’re saying that I talked about my body with you,” I yelled at Adrian. “Why would I lie?,” he said to me. At this point, I knew what kind of game he was playing. I knew him better than anyone, of course I knew what he was trying to do but I was not going to let it slide. “If I did supposedly talk about my body with you, why would you barely mention it now that we fell off because I haven’t talked to you in a while so why barely mention it now?” I said and of course he didn’t know what to say. After the whole commotion, I was still angry and hurt. School was over, my cousin and I went home which usually takes us 13 minutes to get home. I got home and told both my mom and sister about the incident that happened. I told them every single little thing from beginning to end and I made sure to not leave anything out. My mom and sister we’re both furious. My mom decided that she wanted to talk to the dean the next day while I was at school. My mom brought my older sister along with her. “Yeah, so when she told me I was like no, this is not okay,” my mom said to the dean. “I totally understand and we will handle this because I also would be upset and we make sure situations like that don’t happen,” said the dean. “Thank you so much!” my mom responded. Since it was lunch time while my mom and the dean were talking, the dean knew every high school student would be outside so he went outside to go look for Adrian and Betty. My mom and sister left back home and let the dean handle it. Once he found them, he called them over and spoke to both of them. I couldn’t hear a word that was being said because I was all the way across the school just looking at the dean talk to them. They finished talking and they went back to the area they were sitting. The dean and I had our own conversation about him making sure this won’t happen again and he also reassured me what was going to happen to them, they were going to have detention until the end of the school year. As for Bryce, he still didn’t know who to believe and others found it very upsetting since I was his girlfriend. Obviously there wasn’t no trust so I decided to break up with Bryce and do my own thing and keep the people in my life that trusted me. I knew what was best for me, I knew I had to do what I had to do, I knew toxic people didn’t deserve my loyalty. My life wasn’t perfect after that but it was way better than it was before, I just wish people wouldn’t have to start rumors for their own entertainment.