why me | Teen Ink

why me

By BrittanyRose, Meadville, Pennsylvania
BrittanyRose, Meadville, Pennsylvania

The noblest art is that of making others happy~PT Barnum

this is the only chapter that there will be unless you guys comment and want me to write more but this is a short story that I wrote for my english class (its only allowed to be 1 page long) but I thought that it might be fun to share it with you 

After learning that I was supposed to stay after school for detention, I was mad about it but I didn't let that bother me all that much. I simply went to my detention that was in Mr. Chandler’s room, whoever that was. Once that was done, which seemed like forever even though it was only thirty minutes. Anyway I went to my locker after getting out of detention and then headed towards the door and when I got close enough to the door I started to see that it was raining and I didn't have my umbrella so I guess that that meant I had to walk home in the rain and I guess it really wasn't that big of a deal because I've done this before. Given the fact that my mom was always working crazy hours at her job and my dad had left us when I was five, I was used to being home a lot and was also used to not having anybody pick me up after school. This was ok for me, I guess, because I really didn't like being around that many people they always seem to hover over me for some reason. Now, that may also be my mind playing tricks on me, but I just don't  know I don't like people around me, as I stepped out into the chilly rain I pulled up my hood on my new panic at the disco hoodie and wished that I had worn jeans that didn't have as many rips. As I was walking home, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, which I wasn't even supposed to have on school grounds. heck, I wasn't supposed to have a lot of things on school grounds, like my bookbag that's not see through and that I take to every class. Honestly, I think that my teachers just don't care about what I do anymore well most don't anyway, but then there are others like Mr. Linksburgh who yells at me for what seems like nothing. I’ll look up at the clock for a second probably not even that long and he would yell at me and tell me something stupid about not being allowed to daydream in class and that I need to actually focus on my work for once, which for one really annoys me because I already have a really good grade in his class, and second, I just don't like people correcting my actions. As I start to walk home in the pouring rain I realized that even just thinking about today's events made me mad, but because the rain was so cold it actually made me feel better. I laughed at this and I closed my eyes and lift my chin up to the sky throwing my bookbag on the ground and I start to spin around with my arms spreading out and before I had made even one full circle I could already tell that someone was watching me, so I put my arms down and slowly turn around trying to see who was there I didn't think much about it until I felt someone's hand grab my waist and I got really scared and I spin around so fast  that I almost hit whoever was behind me in the mouth. “ Steven, oh my god you scared me what are you doing here?” I ask while he's still holding me. Instead of answering me, he removed his hands from my hips and kissed me lightly making me dizzy. Did that just happen? Did my crush just kiss me? No, he couldn't have, I had to be dreaming. But it felt so real and then almost as if he had read my mind he said, “you're not dreaming, baby girl, I’m really here and I've wanted to do that for longer than you can imagine.” But why? I wonder as I stare at him, unable to speak. Why would he choose me? I mean sure, I was a skinny shy person and I guess that some guys liked that, but still, I definitely wasn't hot or even cute, I was just an average person. There was nothing special about me so now why was my crush kissing me and why now if he truly has liked me for so long and wanted to kiss me then why did he wait. I question as he pulls me around so that his arm is wrapped around my waist and we were walking side by side and my book bag hung on one of his shoulders which kind of surprised me because I didn't even see him pick it up off the ground but either way he was moving so fast with so much mystery and hotness to it that it kind of drove me crazy but I had to control myself as he holds me I start to walk towards my house which was still a thirty minute walk away from where I was and as I start to walk home Steven easily matched his pace to mine and then reached for my hand and slowly slide his into mine and I smile at the thought that this was happening and let alone it was happening to me and as we reach the front steps to my house and I start to turn towards Steven to tell him goodby, but he slowly started to kiss me saying, “don't you dare say goodbye, because if you say that then I feel as if I'm losing you, and I don't ever want that just say see you later or something like that.” As I blush I shake my head yes, then head inside my house and come to terms, remembering that even if my mom wasn't home all the time, most of the time her boyfriend was, even when I didn't want him to be. Oh god, he's been taking his pills again I thought as I remembered how he abused the pill his doctors had given him for his anxiety and how they gave him a drunken effect that often made him mad and sometimes it seemed that I could even smell alcohol on his breath but I knew better than to believe that he was drinking  and tried to sneak upstairs to my room before he noticed I was home and I became the victim of his wrath. I could tell that it was already too late for my escape as I heard him come storming from the kitchen. “Who the hell was that you know you’re not allowed to bring boys around here!” he yells and slaps me across the face, leaving a mark that I was sure would bruise and swell by the next day. “It was nobody honestly I don’t know him,” I mumbled, not being able to look at him as I start to back away from him in fear. I guess that I just couldn't get away fast enough, given the fact that he threw me to the ground next and kicked my side. I saw the fury in his eyes. “Don't lie to me, you stupid little girl. I know that you know him” he said,kicking me again and by this point, I was already crying and the pain was so bad that I could hardly breath and as I look up at his I practically begged “please he's no one to me just let him go and I promise you'll never see him again” I say through my tears even though all I could think of at that time was that somehow something I did made me deserve this I deserved this. As I try to stand up crying even more because the pain was so bad he pulls me off the ground and throws me towards the door. “If you can’t keep your mouth clean and stop your lying, then you no longer have a house here,” he says. Before I could testify he had already pushed me out the door and slammed it shut behind me and I couldn't help but cry some more. how had this happened I wondered as I picked up my bookbag for off the ground that he had also thrown outside along with me. And I cried some more as I bent over feeling the pain on my side and wanting to just curl up into a ball and die because at that time it would have been the easiest thing to do and I don't know maybe I didn't deserve to live so why not just leave me to die. Why me? is all I can think why me why do I have to be the one who falls for someone their family would never let me have why do I have to be the only one whose parents treat them like this why can’t I just be normal? I wish to myself as I start to walk down the street and then I see the one person that I needed in my life at that time “Steven” I said and he looks up from his porch step and immediately ran to me seeing my tear stained face “ Elizbeth what happened? Are you okay and why are you crying?” he asked concern laced into his voice and I just ran up to him burried my face into his chest and wrapped my arms around him tears streaming down my face as I pulled him in closer so that he can’t escape my grasp and he did the same to me pulling me into him and resting his head on mine while he rubbed my back until I felt better and then I woke up from the nightmare only to realize that what I was waking up to wasn't any better than the nightmare, and as I got off of  the comfy bed that definitely wasn't mine I remembered just what happened last night and I remembered that my dream was a reality, that my mom’s boyfriend had kicked me out of the house and I had no home and I was never going to see my mom again. I was never going to be the same, but at least now I was able to sleep in a comfortable house, thanks to my new boyfriend. I guess that it wasn’t all that bad, I just had to get used to this change.