In The Eyes of Isaac | Teen Ink

In The Eyes of Isaac

By Shankell, North Reading, Massachusetts
Shankell, North Reading, Massachusetts

Author's note:

I am a big fan of the show, How I Met Your Mother and liked the concept of how two people had no idea that they would one day be in love. I wrote my story in the future tense for a interesting twist to the usual love story.

Isaac Ryder will purchase a plane ticket to visit his family in California. He will bring his current girlfriend, Kasey since they had been dating for almost a year now. They will have a fight right before boarding and her mascara is going to be smudged all over the back of her hand. This will not be the only time they fight that day. Later on the plane the fight will continue, over when they will meet Kasey’s family in New Jersey. She will scream at him and request a different seat when he tells her he can’t afford the trip to visit her family. Kasey will be put in a seat a few rows away right next to a girl. That girl will catch Isaac’s eye when he goes to check on Kasey.  She will yell again and tell him to leave her alone and he will, until they make it to California. He will introduce her to his family and they will grow to hate her when they see the way she treats Isaac. They will stay together though because Isaac believes he cannot do any better. Kasey was about as flawless as it gets with a plastic like complexion and a body that resembles that of a Barbie doll. Kasey will end the relationship by storming out of his apartment and there will be flames. That same mascara smudged hand will be the one to light the match that sets off his fire alarm. He will find all his pictures with Kasey outside his apartment sending smoke up to his window. He will then lose hope in relationships for a while. Isaac will spend his days after the break up with his guy friends.  They will remind him not to go back to Kasey. One of his friends will threaten to punch him if he does go back. In a few days Isaac will show up at her doorstep in tears apologizing. Then he will be introduced to Harold, Kasey’s new boyfriend. Isaac will end up with a black eye from going back to his exe’s. His already swollen eye will be farther bruised by his friend’s fist. Eventually Isaac will find another girl to help him get over Kasey.  That girl will be Fiona. Fiona will be the nicest person Isaac has ever dated. But what he won’t notice for a while is her lack of intelligence, to put it nicely. When he comes to realise just how dumb she is he will become annoyed.  They will work it out for a while and they will have a nice few months together. One day Isaac won’t be able to stand her anymore. They will break up this time there will not be flames instead there will be cookies.  Cookies that come with Fiona begging him to get back together. He will eat the cookies, but they will not get back together. And one day he will go to the café in his hometown for coffee.
       May Collins will purchase a plane ticket to meet with a potential employer in Los Angeles. She will put on her headphones to tune out the noise of Isaac and Kasey’s fighting. May will spend the flight trying to sleep but being constantly awaken by her new seatmate, Kasey, who can not shut up about how awful Isaac is. When Isaac comes to check on Kasey, May will realise that he isn’t the awful one. She will be mesmerized by just how perfect Kasey looks will mascara running down her face. May will leave that flight exhausted and in no way ready for her job interview. She will wake up the next morning an hour after her interview was supposed to take place. May will call the interviewer and apologize but that’s not going to be enough to get her the job.  Once she stops crying she will decide to spend her time in LA doing anything and everything to get her mind off the fact she is unemployed. Once she arrives back home she will set out to find another job.  The search will be long and difficult due to the abundance of doctors at the time. She will question if she is good enough to be a doctor. May will remember her father telling her that she could never be a doctor and come to believe him. She eventually will become a pediatric doctor at a local hospital and it will make her the happiest person alive.  Being a doctor had been her dream for as long as she could remember and what she went to school for. May will prove her father wrong. She will become close with a young girl who has a wheelchair due to her illness. She will spend her days trying to make this girl’s life worth living. One day she will walk down to the café to get this same girl a cupcake for her birthday.
    May will open the door to the café and shift her eyes right to the colorful cupcakes on the rack. Isaac’s eyes will be gazing the coffee orders, scanning for something to order. But in a moment their eyes will meet.  May will look up for a brief moment and right into Isaac’s eyes. She will think for a minute about where she had seen him before, but Isaac will know right away. Her mind will wander back to airplane sitting next to Kasey. She will ask Isaac how Kasey is and when he replies they broke up she will try to hide her smile. Isaac will explain what happened with them and laugh when he remembers their insane fight on the plane. In a few minutes Isaac’s coffee will be done and May’s cupcake will be chosen but they will pause for a moment before that. Isaac will eventually get the courage to ask May out and she will say yes.
      May will go back to the hospital with the cupcake in her hands and a smile on her face. The girl she brought the cupcake for will be overwhelmed with joy when she sees the bright purple frosting. They will spend the day together playing games and watching her favorite movie, The Little Mermaid. May will go home and spend the rest of the day thinking about the date.
    Isaac will drink his coffee and think about what a coincidence it is that he ran into May. Fate perhaps. His coffee will be finished by the time he reaches his house. He will spend the rest of his day thinking about the date.
      The next day, after work, May will go shopping.  She will spend hours picking out the perfect dress for the occasion. It will take her 7 stores and 2 hours until she finds the royal blue dress she plans on wearing. The dress will suit her nicely by balancing her warm skin tone and highlighting her grey, blue eyes. Her hair and makeup are also a concern, she hadn't been on a date in a while. She will go to the hair salon and get a trim to freshen up her look. Her makeup will be done a few minutes before seven.  When the clock reaches seven she will hear the doorbell ring.
      Isaac will spend his day doing relatively the same thing as May. He will scan his closet for what he will wear and decide on a nice white polo and a green tie to bring out his eyes. Once he looks at himself in the mirror he will realize it is time for a haircut and take a few minutes out of his day to run down to the barber. Her will check the clock that will read six thirty. A half hour until he picks up May.
     A car will be parked outside May’s house and she will be greeted at the door by Isaac. She will blush when he tells her she looks beautiful. He will be stunned by her natural beauty and come to prefer this look over the fake plastic appearance worn by his ex, Kasey. The car will take them to a nice Italian restaurant downtown. May will mention how she has been here before with her family and Isaac will explain that he too used to go here when he was younger. They will share a meal and spend the night laughing and sharing childhood memories.
        Eventually these dates will occur about once every two weeks. May will introduce him to the girl she helps at the hospital and they will meet each other's families. Isaac's mom will squeeze Kasey’s cheeks and the redness will last for half of the dinner. Kasey won’t mind at all, just be a little taken aback because her parents are much different.  She will laugh when Isaac's brother calls Kasey faker than the plastic fruit laying out on the table. His mother will get mad at him for an instant and then she will mention how she can’t disagree. Isaac's dad will congratulate him on “picking a good one”.
     When they go to meet May’s family, she will be surprised to see how accepting they are. Her other boyfriends received nothing but threats from her father about keeping her safe. Isaac instead received a handshake and congratulations. Her mother fussed about if the were getting married and Isaac's blush matched the color of the strawberries they were eating. May’s blush was only a few shades lighter as she told her mom she can't ask questions like that.
       Everything about May Issac seemed to love.  The way her hair fell so effortlessly and just slightly covered her left eye. The way that she would order whatever she wanted at a restaurant instead of always ordering a salad. Her uniqueness and confidence was what convinced him she was the one. He had always thought it was funny when she laughed before he even got to the punchline of the joke. May loved when Isaac told jokes. His smile would bring a crease to the corner of his sea green eyes. When she looked into his eyes it was as if she had the whole ocean to herself. She also loved the way that he would make home cooked meals for her unlike any guy she had dated before. There was something different about dating Isaac and she knew it. When she had dated others there was definitely a spark, but with Isaac it was as if her whole heart was on fire.
     One day Isaac will propose at the little Italian restaurant where they had their first date. Once May’s shock wears off she will jump into his arms and say yes, of course. They will spend months planning the wedding and have dessert food catered from the café where they met up again after all those years. They invite both their families and some close friends. Isaac's ex, Kasey, will not be invited.
    Their wedding will take place at a gorgeous church and it will be perfect.  Issac will cry when he sees May in her wedding dress. May’s dress will sculpt her torso and flare out a bit at the waist in a beautiful fairytale style. May will cry when Isaac says I do and then she will say the same.  The reception will be filled with joy, family and food.  Both of their parents will be there congratulating them. They will spend most of the night dancing and the blisters on May’s feet will remind her of this night, along with the beautiful ring wrapped around her finger. They won’t stop smiling when they open the wedding gifts. The toasts they get about love and marriage will warm their hearts and they will decide it time to buy a house together.
       The next few days will be spent in Hawaii for their honeymoon.  They will come back a few shades darker and May’s hair will be highlighted by the sun. Little freckles will line the bridge of Isaac’s nose. Both of their faces will be lit with smiles that never seem to fade. May and Isaac will spend weeks searching for a house and eventually decide on a nice small house only a few blocks from the house Isaac grew up in and not too far from May’s childhood home either.
    Happy days will turn into happy weeks and months and even years.  Every night, May will press her ring against her lips and smile as she turns to go to sleep. Issac will be up for a few minutes longer staring at his wonderful wife besides him. It will take Isaac two years to convince May it is time to have a baby.  And those nine months will bring them the biggest joy they have ever had.  And they will name her Joy because that is exactly what she is. Her face will be perfectly freckled and ringlet curls will fall around her face.  A few years later another joy will be born but this time his name will be Leo.
        But neither Isaac or May knew any of that the first time they locked eyes. Isaac could not see this future the first time he glanced over at her on the plane. May had no idea that this man that was dating the psycho sitting next to her would be her future husband. He had no idea that her eyes would match those of their children. She had no idea anyone would ever love her the way that he does. The thing is that no one could ever know the moment in which they meet their soulmate. But that glance on the plane and that meet up in the coffee shop were nothing short of destiny.