A Day to Remember | Teen Ink

A Day to Remember

February 12, 2016
By Sprinklez_Sparklez BRONZE, Casey, Illinois
More by this author
Sprinklez_Sparklez BRONZE, Casey, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I had this strange dream over and over again, so I decided to wright it down. I had to change a lot of the things that were in the original. I just really hope you like it.

It was a sunny afternoon in the summer. The river by my house was flowing so calming. The birds were chirping, maybe they are out of tune, or maybe just deaf, because to me it sounded like they were screeching. I have never ever really liked birds. They creep me out, just more the way they look, I don’t even want to start about their chirping, and their face! Their horrible face. They stick their faces down into the ground, do they even know what has been on the ground. I mean really though, a dog could have… never mind.
My dad had planned to take me and my brother out somewhere today, he said we were able to bring one friend, because we could only have so many people in our car. I instantly texted my best friend Kim. We had been friends for well, as long as I can remember. I do though remember though the day we first met. It was I think first grade, she bit me I bit her, we had to spend a whole week in timeout in the corner together. IT WAS AWFUL!!! Well at least that’s what I thought back then, but now when I think about it, it was actually really fun, except that I missed that show and tell that day. Rainy brought her new baby puppies, but nevertheless if we never had a very bad temper in first grade, I would have never found my best friend.
By the time Steve my older brother’s girlfriend Tammy drove over to our house we were ready to go. My mom was not coming with because she had already left for work. We still did not know where we were going. We got Kim from her house, her little brother was upset he couldn’t come with us. Her older brother was hanging out with some of his friends. Her little brother is just six and he didn’t understand why he couldn’t come with us, so… we just told him that this girl that really likes him, Katie, was going to be there. He ran off crying because he did not want to get cuties.
“We should go and watch the new Star Wars movie.” Steve said enthusiastically.
“And after that we could go swim with my mermaid!” I said mocking Steve.
“You have a mermaid? Where?”Kim leaned over and whispered.
Kim and I both laughed until our stomachs hurt. My brother was not amused at all by our childish humor.
“Dad. Where are we going we have been driving for ever.” I said feeling very exhausted.
“Just enjoy the ride and hush child.” Dad said.
“Fine.” I said angrily.

Teenagers get very bored, very quickly, so I listen to music to pass the time. We pull into what looks like an abandoned part of a very beautiful part of a forest, my father turns the car off. He gets out, by now we are all very confused on what he is doing, we all stay inside in the car. My father goes around the car, passes my window, which is the seat behind the driver's seat, opens up the trunk of the car. *Pop* The trunk was open. We are all very confused on what he could be doing.
“Steve! Come out here and help me get all of this out!” My father yelled.
“Okay?” Said Steve getting out of the car.
“Charlie, come and help carry this!” Steve yelled at me from the trunk.
We all decided to vacate the vehicle. I get out of the car and all I can smell is something cooking. I don’t know from which direction it is coming from but it smells stunning because I think someone is cooking meat over a fire. I manage to get to the trunk while almost falling on my face over all of these sticks and vines all over the ground. I was close upon falling and bashing my head open onto the rear bumper of the car but I was able to catch myself before I did.
Inside of the trunk was 2 coolers, a sizable backpack, and a first aid kit. Inside of the coolers was food, water, alcohol, and freezer packs. The backpack had inside of it flashlights, extra batteries, lighter, bug repellent, cameras, walkie-talkies, utility knife. The first aid kit had well anything that a first aid kit needed.
We grabbed everything from the trunk and headed off. It seemed like we were getting farther away from the cooking meat. My stomach was starting to growl just at the thought of not knowing how farther we were going to be walking until I could eat.

Eventually we made it to this really shady cabin. It looked like the cabin had been crying for it’s siding had been falling off from the top to the bottom. It seemed like the cabin had not had anyone stay there for 40 years.
“We are not staying in that are we?” My brother said with a disgusted face.
“Suck it up, buttercup. You haven’t even seen inside of it.” My father said.
“I am not going in there! It probably looks disgusting!” I said walking away.
Kim ran after me trying to get me to stay.
“Come on. It could be fun. We haven’t even gone inside. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” Kim said trying to be enthusiastic.
“Did you really just say that? I know not to, but this is not a book Kim. This is a repulsive, disgusting, cabin. I’m not going in. I would rather just sleep out here.” I said.
“You might not want to do that.” My father said coming up behind Kim.
“Uh, why not?” I said confused.
“Monsters rise when night does out here.” My father said.
“Ha… ha… ha… nice try, one, that is stupid, and two i’m not going in there.” I said.
My father picked me up swung me over his shoulder. I finally went in, and it was actually a really nice cabin. As I walked into the cabin the warmth hit me, kindly welcoming me in with the sound of crackling dried leaves and the smell of comfort from the stone chimney  fireplace. In the center of the room there is a sofa and a rectangular coffee table.
I set down the bags and Kim and I rush upstairs, we had to pick a room. We picked the master bedroom. It had a four post bed, side tables and wardrobes complementing the bed. I was confused on how the cabin smelled. I thought it would be a nasty moldy sent, but the cabin gave off a lilac smell.

Once everyone had picked their rooms we decided to go and explore the forest around us. We were only able to walk around for a hour, so Kim and I went west, my father, Steve, and Tammy went east. Kim and I walked for what felt like for ever, which really only was twenty minutes. We reached a pond, it had a tiny little island in the dead center out in the water. We wanted to swim in pond, but it looked contaminated with something I did not want to swim in.
We decided to head back to the cabin after five minutes of just walking around the pond trying to catch frogs. By the time we got back we thought everyone else was going to be at the cabin. Kim and I waited for another hour. We were getting very concerned for my family as they had not returned yet. They probably just lost the trail to get back.
Another half hour rolled around and we decided to go and try to find them. I grabbed the backpack because it was getting dim outside. I being very worried looked thru the backpack to make sure no one had come into the cabin and taken anything. Everything was there except for one flashlight, it was fine that it was gone but we only had one left now since the other one was taken. We left into the direction of my family.
Kim had two brothers, one older and one younger, well not that much older, by more like half an hour older. Her twin older brother had been in boy scouts and she had picked up on a lot of the hunting and tracking they do for animals. So is anyone could find them, she could.
Kim lead the way that they were suppose to be heading. We stopped walking.
“What’s wrong?” I said.
“Shhh.” She said whispering to me.
“What? Why do I…?” I said very concerned like. She had cut me off.
“Charile, get down and stay low.” She said freaking me out.
We crawled behind some shrubbery.
“Uhh what are we hiding from?” I said whispering to her.
“We have to be quite.” Kim said whispering to me.
“Well i’m going to look and see what it is.” I said now becoming very anxious and irritable.
I peek around the bush, I see nothing, I hear nothing. I think Kim is delusional.
“Kim.” I said.
“Charlie?” Kim said with worry in her voice.
“There is nothing out here. Get out of the bush.” I said.
The bush opposite me started rustling. A dik dik popped out of the bush.
“OH MY GOD IT IS SO ADORABLE!!!!!!” I said screeching.
“It is very cute, but we can’t touch it, it might have diseases.” Kim said
Kim was right we can’t go around touching strange animals. We left the dik dik alone and headed off again. We heard screaming far in the distance. It was a girls scream, it was Tammy. We could see her running toward us yelling at us, telling us to run the way that she was, the direction we were coming from. We turned around and booked it to the cabin. We ran into the cabin, went upstairs and lock all three of us inside of my and Kim’s room.
“Tammy! What is going on? What were you running from?” I said panting, bent over hanging on to the bed post.
“Steve…” She was to exhausted, panting, trying to breath.

I was freaking out. Trying to figure out what could have happened to Steve. Was she meaning that Steve attacked her? I felt like I was having a panic attack.
“What? What happened to Steve?” I said very worry like.
“Steve… and I… was… attacked.” She said taking breaths between pauses.
“Is Steve okay? Where is my father?” I said in a panic state.
“STEVE IS DEAD! OKAY? AND YOUR FATHER KILLED HIM AND ATTACKED ME!” She said freaking out.
Now that I could really look at Tammy, her clothes were all torn, and she was covered in blood. I don’t known if it was her blood, my father’s blood, or my brother’s blood.
“What did he do to you? How did he do that to… why would he do that?” I said passing back and forth, freaking out.
I had so many emotions going in and out of my body I did not know what to do. I was just so mad I could punch the wall, but before I could I fell on the ground crying. Kim was there to help me, she let me cry for a bit before she made me get up.
“We can not stay here. He have to leave.” Kim said trying to help me off the ground.
“But he could be here any moment.” Tammy said with her voice shaking still from the trauma that just happened.
“He could be any moment and that’s why we need to leave. Now!” I said being very clear on what we had to do.
“If we do stay we will be gonners, and if we leave right now we will have a better chance at staying alive. We can go to the police right when we get into the city. Kim go and grab the keys to the car, Tammy wash your hands, and I will keep watch, I still have the utility knife.” I said trying to stay calm, but the more I put the plan together, I became more calm.

I was looking out of the room that me and Kim planed on staying in. I had a window that looked straight out to the front door.
“Charlie, I have the keys.” Kim shouted from down stairs.
“Okay good. Tammy are you ready?” I shouted, peaking my head out of the doorway of the room.
“Yes.” Tammy yelled back.
I could hear how terized she was still. We were all ready to go. We headed outside with caution. I decided to drive even though I still only have my permit, Tammy was no condition to drive. I started the car, backed up, Tammy shrieked looking out of her window from the back. It was my father he started running at us. I quickly put the car into drive and we were gone. We were outside of the city still before anyone said anything. Tammy was still crying.
“I’m just confused on why he would do that.” Kim said very confused like.
“Steve was not my father’s child.” I said being very calm.
“What? Did your mom…?” Kim asked but stopped because she already how awkward the atmosphere was already.
“Yes.” I said.
“Tammy did you know?” Kim asked.
“Yes.” Tammy said.
“Oh.” Kim said.

We finally reached the station around one in the morning. We pulled up outside of the station.
“I don’t think we should do this.” Tammy said peeking her head in between the front two seats.
“Uh, why not?” I said very confused.
“Because I said you are not going in.” Tammy said very forcefully.
She grabbed Kim’s head, pulled her hair and her head back so the top of her head touched the head rest.
“Drive or is will kill her.” Tammy said holding a knife to Kim’s throat.
“Tammy don’t do anything rash, I mean really, we are outside a police station.” I said trying to have her let Kim go.
Tammy slit Kim’s throat. I was so scared that she was going to kill me next but she didn’t.
“DRIVE!” Tammy yelled holding the knife to my body.
“Okay… uhh… whe-where do you wanna g-go?” I said. My voice was shaking.
“Back to the cabin, I left something there.” She said trying to sound funny but very serious.

I drove her all the way back to the cabin. When we got there I was relieved that my father was not in sight. I turned off the car but left the headlights on. Tammy got out of the car first, she opened my door, dragged me out of the car and into the cabin. My father was sitting there on the sofa, sharpening a knife with a piece of metal. She tied me to the stairs.
“Do you realize that she lied to me, for eighteen years. Eighteen years I was LIVING IN A LIE!” My father said still sharpening the knife with a piece of metal.
“And that’s not even the worse part, ha, no, the worse part is that I had to be told that the child that I RAISED,wasn’t even mine. And you know who had to tell me, the child that I thought was mine’s, girlfriend.”
“Wait, Tammy, you told him? Why did you tell him?” I asked Tammy.
“BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO KNOW!” Tammy yelled at me with rage.
“And you knew he was going kill Stevie because of it and just… I don’t know, GO ALONG WITH IT?”
“Yes, I did know his intentions.” Tammy said.
“Now, Tammy, I can't take all of the credit.” My father said.
“Oh, father, stop I’m blushing.” Tammy said giggling.
“WHAT?” I said freaking out.
“Well, Charlie, you see, your whore of a mother had her secrets and well, I had mine.” My father said.
“This has been a lovely family meeting, but I have school in five hours so….” I said.
Then I can not really describe how it felt. The cold blade slicing my throat, was the worst feeling I have ever felt.

I thought it was over right then and there. I thought I was dead, but I wasn’t. I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t. I didn’t understand, but I did hear screaming, it was not my voice though, it was Tammy screaming.
I had been untying the rope that was around my hands behind me while they were talking. Tammy’s throat was in my grasp, that’s why she was screaming. My father quickly stood up from the chair and charged at me. I quickly moved so that I facing him, but Tammy’s back was turned against him, she was trying to get out of my grip but she was becoming too weak. My father thrusted the knife into Tammy’s back. Her struggle seemed to loosen up more by the second. I could tell that she was dead because she had stopped breathing. Tammy had died in my arms. I had just helped kill the only sister I had, my brother had been killed by my own father. I did not want my father to live because of what he had done to my family. He needed to pay! My father quickly took the knife out of Tammy, he seemed to love her more than me. He was holding her crying, but not for very long as he noticed that I was trying to leave.
I tried to run as fast out of the cabin, but my father grabbed my hair right before I could make it out of the cabin. I flew back and landed on my butt. My father grabbed my hair again and yanked me off the ground. He slammed me into the wall. I kept trying to get away from him, but he was stronger than me. So I came up with a plan.
‘I would run to the fireplace, push him onto the glass coffee table, while he was trying to get up I would grab the knife that my father had dropped a few moments ago, while he was knocking me into the wall, then I will do whatever I had to do.’ I thought all of this very quickly inside of my head.
I ran over to the fireplace, pushed him into the glass coffee table and he fell on top of it and crushed it. I ran over to the knife and picked it up and held it to him while he was still inside of glass that laid on the floor.
“Wow, Charlie, I thought you had learned by now not to put down your guard… EVER… even when you think you are winning.” My father said taking breaths during pauses.
“STOP! TALKING! YOU KILLED MY BROTHER AND MY SISTER, AND NOW IT IS MY TURN TO CARRY ON THE FAMILY TRADITION!” I yelled at him with rage and tears running down my face.
My father quickly knocked me off balance, he stood up and grabbed the knife from me.
“Will you ever just shut up?” My father said while laughing.
I took a large piece of glass and rammed it into his left calf. He fell on the ground onto his right knee, grabbing his calf were the blood was flowing out of. I took another large piece of glass and stabbed it into his neck on the left side. He fell, almost like a raindrop falling from the sky, like it was nothing. I walked all the way to the police station because I did not want to do anything with Kim’s body that was still in the car.

“Is that everything?” The policeman said.
“Yes” I said with tears running down my face.
“Okay then, well, in about…. twenty minutes we are going to go and look around, try to find you brother. But for now, your mother is here to talk to you. Is it possible for you to come with us so we know where to go?” The policeman said.
“Can I just stay in the car when we get there?” I asked trying to dry my tears from my face.
“Yes, of course.” The policeman said while getting out of the chair.
“Can my mother come to please? I don’t want to be alone in the car while you are looking.” I asked.
“Yes she may.” The policeman said.
I got up and started to walk out of the room.
“One more thing.” I said stopping in the doorway.
“Yes?” The policeman said.
“Only Kim and Steve are to have a funeral.” I said never turning my head to make eye contact.
“Of course.” The policeman said.
I never will be able to understand why this happened to me, or even why I felt nothing when I killed father. Maybe it’s because I was so mad at him for ruining my family’s life and my friends family’s life. I miss my best friend and my brother every single day. We never did have a funeral for father and Tammy, but almost the entire town came to Steve’s and Kim’s. My mother thought it would help if I spoke at the funerals, but I felt like it would make it worse.

I still remember the day me and Kim met, I love remembering the days we spent together. I know she would tell me to remember this day. To remember that some people have different sides to them. That not everyone is worth dying for. That it doesn’t matter who hurt you, or broke you down, what matters is who makes you smile. That I need to be careful who I share my weaknesses with, because some people can’t wait for the opportunity to use them against you. It’s hard to think about the things she would say to me, but the worst thing she would say is, that I need to have the day that hurt me the most, be a day to remember forever.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.