New Friend | Teen Ink

New Friend

By Jaime Nesbit BRONZE, Wilton, Iowa
Jaime Nesbit BRONZE, Wilton, Iowa

I’m not a very adventurous person. I like to keep to myself and stay out of trouble. However, that day was going to be different. I would make a big discovery and even though I didn’t know it, what I discovered was going to change my life forever.
It was a normal day, and when I say normal, I mean my normal, which is hardly normal at all. I did the same thing every day. I didn’t have anywhere special to go; I didn’t have anyone special to see. All I had was me and me alone. I would wake up in the same way, eat breakfast and head to school, walking the same route I did every day. Never changing. At school I would have the same boring classes that I have to take to graduate. I would walk down the same hallways and see the same faces I see every day but would not speak to them. I would eat the same lunch I make myself every morning and sit at the same table. I would sit alone. Just like every other day. I had lived here for almost three years and still had not made a single friend.
I lived with my grandmother in a small town somewhere in the middle of the desert. She owned a little café downtown, about a mile away from the school. She took me into her home after my parents passed away, but really, it’s me taking care of her. Since I didn’t have any friends, I just learned to make conversation with my dog, and sometimes the creepy mailman stopped to talk to me. He wore the same clothes every day and continuously talked about the wife he didn’t have. I try to avoid him as much as possible.
The day had ended and I started my normal walk home where I would work in the café with my grandma and then do my homework. Instead I decided to do some exploring the town that I never took the time to see. I walked to the end of the road. It was a deserted street. No one had lived on this road since I moved here because every time there was a dust storm that was where it hit. I was going to turn back but something told me to keep going. I walked on and on for a while. I walked for what I thought was a mile. I got to the top of a large sand hill and looked out over the desert. It was a cloudy day and the breeze was cold, which was weird because deserts were supposed to be hot all the time. Something was different about that day. The way the weather changed in the ten minutes I was standing there. All of a sudden the sky had turned black, but only in one spot, and the breeze was silenced. That’s when it happened.
It was too quick to watch happened. All I heard was a loud crack of thunder and the ground shook beneath me with a crash. It took me so much by surprise that it took me awhile to realize what I just saw and if it was real or not. I watched as a huge wall of purple smoke filled the air. The wind started up again and the blackness faded. The smoke did not clear, it kept coming and coming without end. I felt as if my feet were nailed to the ground even though I had an urge to run in the opposite direction. I thought about it for a moment and did something insane. I started walking in the direction of the purple smoke.

I got closer and I realized that whatever it was it caused a hole in the ground. It was deep enough for me to stand in it and be the same size. The smoke finally started to clear and I was able to see the black figure of something. That was all I could think of to call it. Either that or giant metal egg. I slid myself down into the hole as slow and quiet as I could. It was dark and I had to cough almost every second because of all the sand that was built up.
I walked slowly towards whatever it was. I wanted to know what had happened and where this thing came from. I absently mindedly reached out my arm and touched the surface of the container. It was cold and smooth. I knocked on it and it sounded hallow. The sound was loud and empty as if this was all there was, a large egg shaped thing from who knows where.
It wasn’t empty. I watched it for a moment and all of a sudden there was a click from the side and what looked to be a door started to open. I thought very hard about running at this point but couldn’t bring myself to do it. I watched as it opened with more of the purple smoke came rushing out as if it couldn’t breathe in there. Slowly a small black figure walked out. It was walking straight towards me when the smoke drifted away and I could see clearly.
It had stopped a few feet away from me, looked up at me and stared for what seemed like hours. It was short, but muscular. It was wearing a blue jumpsuit. Its had purple skin that shimmered in the light from the sun that just came out from behind the clouds. He had been carrying a bag of some sort, it was draped over his shoulder as if he were going to school. He had been watching me with his big blue eyes as if he were trying to hear what I was thinking. In fact I didn’t even know what I was thinking.
I turned myself away from the creature and started to walk away. I climbed out of the hole and started walking back to town as quickly as possible, without looking back. When I finally got home I thought I was safe. I thought I lost the creature. I would never see it again. Hopefully. Then again, maybe not.

I ran through the front door, and went up the stairs two at a time. I walked quickly into my bedroom and locked the door. I let out a loud sigh and I heard something. I looked up an saw, sitting at the foot of my bed, the little purple alien. He stared at me for along time. He finally got up, walked over to my desk and took a piece of paper. He started to write something. He finished and started to walk towards. My heart started to race. Not knowing what was going to be on the paper scared me a little but I took it willingly when the creature handed it to me. I read it to myself not believing what was happening. It read:
“Hello. My name is Onyx and I am from the planet Linton. I am what you humans call an alien.” He wrote.
He continued, “I did not mean to frighten you back there, but I am not able to speak. I can only communicate by writing and unless you write me back, I cannot understand you.”
I looked up at him then. He was wearing a huge grin that made it almost impossible to smile back. He then walked over to my book shelf and brought me a book. He pointed at it and I knew then that he wanted me to read to him. He had sat down next to me and watched as I read aloud. I knew that he didn’t understand me but I think he liked the way the word sounded when they came out. He smiled all the way through the book and when I was finished he picked up another and wanted to read again.
I wrote him back telling him I had to do my homework now and that I would read to him later. He was okay with that idea. He grabbed a blanket from my closet and lay it on the floor beside my bed and feel right asleep. I watched him as he slept. He breathed like a normal person. If he didn’t have purple skin, I would think he was a real person.

Over the next couple week, I had gotten used to Onyx being around. He was always happy and playful. He told me that in human ears he was ten years old, so that’s why he always so hyper, and hungry. He ate all the leftovers in the café every night. He didn’t seem to mind though. He would wait until it was night time so that no one would see him. I think my grandma got a little suspicious as to where all the garbage was going, but I wasn’t worried. Seriously, what is she going to think, there’s some little purple alien running around eating my garbage?
We spent every day together. He would wait for me in my bedroom until I got home from school. He would then have me read him a book, and he didn’t care if we had already read the same one three times, he just liked it. We would write back and forth about our day. His was usually about how he followed my grandmother around and watched what she did because it was interesting to him.
Late at night we would sneak out of the house and make our way down the street to the park. We would stay out for hours playing on the slides and seeing who could get highest on the swings. We would then sneak back to the yard and lay to watch the stars until all of them had disappeared.
I remember one day when I was at school. I was sitting in my quiet class do my work when I looked up to glance out the window, and there I saw him. He had been sitting on the bench about ten feet away from the window and he was staring at me. Before I could stop myself I let out a loud gasp and the entire had turned to look at me. I had to make up a dumb lie right off the top of my head about how something interesting had happened in the book I had to read, even though I wasn’t even reading a book. When they all turned back around I looked out the window and Onyx was gone. Later I would have a talk with him about where he can and cannot follow me to.
Onyx and I we best friends. I had only known him for a few months and I felt like I could tell him anything. Even things that my parents and my grandmother didn’t know. He was always there for me when I got home and I when I woke up in the mornings I always found him asleep at the foot of my bed. My dog didn’t like that too much but he learned to share. Everything was so great but I always had that thought of him leaving or disappearing. That day came sooner than I hoped.

It was a really cool day. The wind was blowing and the sun was starting to go down. I had stayed late at school to finish a project and I couldn’t wait to get home to show Onyx. When I got there, however, he was nowhere to be found. I searched everywhere. In every room in the house, including the café. I searched in the dumpsters behind the building and I the park. He was nowhere. I started walking, soon finding myself going back to the place where I had discovered Onyx almost three months back.
I t was getting dark now. One by one the street lights were coming on which meant it was somewhere around nine o’clock. I started to run, faster and faster. That’s when the rain came. It was heavy rain, It dropped on me as if there was a bucket above my head that kept re-filling and dumping. I kept running, letting the rain smack my face and the wind push back against me making it harder. I kept going.
I soon came to a stop where Onyx had once arrived. There he was; standing by the hole that was then filled half way with sand. He turned and stared up at me then looked at the sky. I saw large bolts of lightning in the distance, getting closer and closer. Onyx walked up to me, he reached out and grabbed my hand. His skin was wet and cold but when he touched me I felt warm. We stared at each other for a long time until I finally realized what he was trying to say. It was time for him to go home.
There was a loud crash and a lightning bole of all different colors hit the ground creating a black hole. It spun faster and faster. I couldn’t look at it long without getting dizzy. I looked at onyx as he looked at me. He let my hand slide from his and it dropped to my side.
He walked slowly to the hole. Finally, he looked back at me with a tear running down his face and he smiled. For the first time ever he spoke to me. He said “Goodbye.” He waved at me one last time, then at once he turned around and jumped into the hole. There was another loud noise and the silence.
I don’t know why Onyx came her, maybe he was sent here for a purpose. He came here and gave me the friend I never had and he was a good one. I wont ever forget him. Even though I didn’t know the purpose for him coming here, I do know one thing for sure, I’m going to miss that little purple alien.