The Family That Used To Be | Teen Ink

The Family That Used To Be

By Melanie_Castro, Santa Ana, California
Melanie_Castro, Santa Ana, California

Author's note:

The novel was inspired by all the Hispanic movies I have watched which helped me right the plot.

Bruce woke up in a good mood for once, he did not hit the snooze button like always instead he quickly got up, “good morning snowball.” 

Snowball wagged her tail and barked playfully as she jumped on his bed. “Time for work sorry snowball”—he gives her a good belly rub— “ok that’s enough I need to change.” He puts on his black suit and tie, gets his hair gel, and applies it on his luscious black wavy hair.

***

He gets to the car dealership and passes the new employee.

“Good morning Carl, how are you?”

“Good, what about you Mr. Stewart?”

“Fine, thank you for asking”

Carl puts a pile of contracts on his desk, “They are due by next week.”

“Okay, I will take a look at them later.”

“Thank you, but remind me to tell my father that we need more repair parts.”

“I will when he gets here.”

***

Bruce walked into his father’s office. “Good morning father, can you sign this order for more parts?” 

“Yes, but we have more at the warehouse go check there first.”

“Can have the code for the warehouse?”

“The code is 4253 and then the # sign.”

“Okay”—He writes the password down on a yellow sticky note— “I will be back in a couple of hours.”

***

Bruce gets to the warehouse and puts in the code “4253#”. He looks inside and sees the dusty shelves and the dirty floors that haven’t been cleaned in forever. After, exploring the warehouse he found a small shelf with auto parts, so he checked the parts he needed and cleaned them. He got into his car when…

“Shoot I forgot my phone in the warehouse”

He goes back in, but it is creepier than the first time he entered.

He walks in to look for his phone, moving shelves, boxes, and tools.

Bruce found something in a shelf; firearms, ammo, grenades all types of dangerous weapons.

Why would my father own any of those things?

He quickly takes pictures and puts all the boxes he found back in place. Bruce is conflicted does he tell someone, but if he does his dad would be arrested. He crumples to the floor. 

***

Slowly cleaning his face Bruce gets in his car and rides for a while. After getting the fresh air he entailed, Bruce finally decides to keep the secret until he learns more. Trying to reassure himself that his father has no bad intentions with them. 

“Maybe they were there before he bought the warehouse.” “Do I tell anyone?”

He goes to a place his friend had told him about before when his girlfriend was cheating on him. It’s an old house on the far side of the city. Bruce goes inside the beige house it has cracks along the tile and cockroaches crawling on the floor, wall, and ceiling. There he finds a Mexican man sitting on the couch with a cold beer.

“Are you Diego?”

“Depends who’s asking.”

“My name is Bruce and I am in need of your services.” —He takes out a wad of cash from an envelope— “I can give you Half now, Half later”

“What is it that you need?”

“I need more information on my father, I need to know his every move.”

Diego agrees and Bruce tells him what he found at the warehouse, he shows him the pictures and proceeds to leave. He decides to go back to work and act like he doesn’t know anything, when he bumps into his dad he just stares not knowing what to say.

“Is something wrong?”

“No everything is fine.”

“Okay, did you find what you were looking for?”

“Um”……. “Yeah.”

He tries to avoid as much contact as possible. So, he quickly leaves and goes into his office. His dad follows him into his office. 

“Is there a problem?”

“No, No I just am a little tired that’s all.”

“Okay I will see you at home I have things to do first.”

Bruce calls Diego as soon as his dad leaves. 

“Hello, Diego please follow my dad.”

“Okay, what car does he have?”

“A black MC Speed and the license plated is M2SPEED.”

Diego goes on his computer and hacks into the car to find his location. He gets in his car and follows him. After a while the car stopped at an empty underground parking lot, he got his phone and zoomed in to get clear pictures. He then got his listening device and started recording what Bruce’s father said. After he left, Diego followed him out and met up with Bruce. 

“They said something about the job being done tomorrow.”

Bruce grasps his head, “Did you hear anything else?”

“No, but I did see him hand someone else a briefcase.”—Diego shows Bruce the photo he took— “Would you like me to do anything else?”

“Yes, find out what he was talking about.”

Bruce arrives at home and asks his maid to prepare dinner, then he takes a seat as he waits for dinner to be ready. When the food is ready his parents and sister sit down to eat.

“How was your day?” Bruce’s mom asked.

“It was interesting?”—Bruce stares at his dad— “I learned some new things.”

After they finish dinner, everyone leaves to their rooms.

***

When Bruce wakes up he gently scoots snowball to the side while he gets off the bed and then tucks her in. He finishes changing and drives to work. Bruce watches his dad like a hawk. He calls Diego and asks him if he found out anything else, he tells Bruce that he found out a lot of money was transferred to his father’s bank account. Then, he asks Deigo to send him the login information so he can see where the money came from. The source was unknown to Bruce so he asks Diego to find out who sent him the money. Diego tells him that the bank account belongs to someone very dangerous.

“His name is Gio Barker and he has been imprisoned more than 5 times, he just got released a couple of months ago.”

“When was the money transferred?”

“It was transferred a week ago.”

“He was gone last week because he said he had a business trip.”, “That’s why he didn’t want me to go.”

“I also noticed that he got money transferred to him yesterday.”

Bruce hangs up and looks at the account himself because it is not the same one they share. He wants to know why he is getting paid massive amounts of money by these people. After he explores the account he notices that the money has been being transferred since before he was born. He goes home and tells his mom that his dad isn’t who she thinks he is, but he doesn’t tell her what he knows. They go to eat and the dad gets a phone call.

“Is the job done yet?”—his face lights up— “Good, good.”

Bruce watches him as he is on the phone to learn more about him. He finishes dinner and goes to his room, then he goes back onto the computer to investigate a little more. His dad walks in and Bruce quickly shuts his computer.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Are you sure?” he asks, “You’ve been acting a little strange since you went to the warehouse” 

“Yes, everything is fine” he says lying to his father.

Bruce downloads the information on a flash drive as evidence and hid it in his drawer. 

***

He goes to work the next day and waits for his dad to arrive. When he arrives Bruce calls Diego to tell him what he heard yesterday. Diego tells him that he needs him to add a software on his dad’s phone so he can see everything on it.  Bruce agrees and tells him he will add it when he gets there. Bruce sells some cars and signs paperwork while he waits, then his dad arrives and Bruce goes into his office. 

“How are you?”

“Good, you’re in a better mood.”

“Yeah, I was just tired yesterday.”—he slips the phone into his pocket— “I have work to do so I will get going.”

He goes and adds the software on the phone and then calls Diego.

“Done, what do I do now?”

“Put the phone back, I am in full control from now on.”

Bruce goes back into his dad’s office. 

“I thought you had a lot of work?”

“I do, but I accidentally left my phone and took yours.” he takes the phone out of his pocket. “ It has the same case so it’s easy to mix up.”

“Okay.” 

Bruce is leaving out the door when his dad calls him.

“What about you’re phone.”

“I just remembered I never took it out of my office.”

“Oh, Okay.”

Bruce leaves in relief because he thought he was gonna get caught. He calls Diego later in the day to ask him if he found anything yet, Diego tells him that he probably has a burner phone because he doesn’t see anything unusual. Bruce had told him he was on a call the day before and Diego didn’t see a call on the phone, Bruce asks for a picture of the call history so he has more evidence since his family saw when he left for a call.

***

Bruce goes home and stays in his room not leaving for anything.  He tries to connect the clues; he calls Diego to ask him if he found anything else out and he tells Bruce that he followed his dad to a lab that has loads of drugs such as Cocaine and Fentanyl. Diego tells him he thinks that his father sells them to Gio and other distributors. Bruce plans to confront this dad tomorrow; he is gonna tell him everything he knows. Downloading everything on a flash drive is the first thing Bruce is gonna do. Then, he is planning to tell his mother to be careful and not to trust his dad that well, and then he will confront his father. He goes to sleep for a while, but the thought of confronting his father frightens Bruce. He gets up and goes to work, as his father comes in Bruce takes him to the other room and tells him he would like to go somewhere more private. They drive to an underground parking lot which is the same one Diego saw him at.

“I know everything,” says Bruce as he looks into his father’s eyes.

“What do you mean everything?”

“I know what you do to get extra money.”

“How do you know?” the father said.

“I had someone follow your every move and I know that you sell drugs and kill those who don’t benefit you.” “All this time you were on ‘vacation’ this was what you were doing right?”—He clears a tear off his face— “Do I mean nothing to you?”

“Kill him.” the father orders his right-hand man which is their driver Xavier. He passes Xavier a gun. “Don’t leave any evidence!”

Xavier points the gun and shoots. In a couple of seconds, all of Bruce’s worries were gone.