Suprise | Teen Ink

Suprise

Author's note:

I’m riding on the street around the golf course when I see spilt trash on the side of the road in front of a rundown house, a rundown, old house is a rare sight for Deer Creek which is a very wealthy town. I decided to pick up the bags of trash because the person who lives there is probably elderly based on the state of the house. I get out of my car and notice flies swarming something, then I see the dead body.  

“C’mon time to get up!” says my mom after I sleep through my alarm.  
“Ok fine,” I grumble as a response, “can you make me a protein shake for breakfast?” 
“Sure honey, I’ll get you some fruit also.” 
“Thank you, mom!” I say with fake enthusiasm because I have been dreading this day for a while now. 
I roll out of bed and get dressed. After school I am going to volunteer at a retirement home, it is very important to do volunteer work because of college. After I have baseball from seven to nine for my high school, then I have a showcase in front of college scouts. This is the busiest Friday I’ve had in forever. After I get dressed and ready, I go downstairs, grab my breakfast and kiss my mom goodbye. I hop in my beaten down jeep that I got for my sixteenth and a half birthday and that I have many memories in with my friends. I am taking the scenic route to school because I only have one moth left before I graduate. I’m riding on the street around the golf course when I see spilt trash on the side of the road in front of a rundown house, a rundown, old house is a rare sight for Deer Creek which is a very wealthy town. I decided to pick up the bags of trash because the person who lives there is probably elderly based on the state of the house. I get out of my car and notice flies swarming something, then I see the dead body.  
This can’t be happening; I step back and throw up multiple times. I have seen dead bodies before but only in caskets, never anywhere else. Once I finish throwing up, I get back in my car and call the cops. I just sit in my car in a daze until the cops arrived.  
“Get out of the car son,” said an older officer in a light voice, "I need to ask you a few questions, you don’t have to come down to the station or anything, we just need to talk for a few minutes.”  
I step out of my car and walk with the cop; other officers were taping off the area and getting equipment to examine the body. “Did you see anything suspicious or out of the ordinary while you were driving?” 
“No, I didn’t.” I reply 
I think I am still in a daze because the cop asks in a much deeper voice this time, "Are you sure because the blood is still fresh on the body.” 
“No sir, nothing.” I say trying to sound calm 
“Ok, where were you going while you found this body?” Asks the officer 
“Was driving to school, I attend Deer Creek high, I am a senior.”  
“Gotcha,” says the officer, I can hear the fakeness in his tone, “What happened when you found the body and how did you see it.”  
“I saw the spilt trash on the side of the road and decide to pick it up because the house looks run down and I thought maybe an elderly person lives there. So, when I went to pick up the trash, I see flies swarming then I see the dead body.” 
“Ok what happened next.” 
“I stepped back and vomited multiple times, then got back in my car and called 911.” 
“Ok, is there anything else we need to know about?” 
“No sir, there is nothing else.” 
“Thank you for your help.” the officers say 

I walk back to my jeep and get in; I sit there for a minute to wait for the officers to take down the yellow “CAUTION” tape so I can drive away. They take it down and I start driving away when I decide I’m not going to go to school today. I am starving and I have no clue why, I guess that the whole experience just took it out of me, or it’s that I threw up my breakfast (and last night’s dinner). I want some food, so I decide to go to Chick-fil-a, my favorite fast food restaurant ever. I start driving and thinking about what just happened, I want to talk to somebody like my best friend Ben. I call him but get no response because it is only 10:40 and he’s in the third period. I get to Chick-fil-a and order my food and sit down, they bring my food out and I start eating. At 11:30 Ben has lunch so I will call him then, I open my bag and pull out my laptop. I check my e-mail to see if one of my teachers has sent out an e-mail about finals or graduation. I’m scrolling through my e-mail and see an e-mail sent to me by someone that has their name as anonymous, which is very weird. I click on it and it’s a picture of a junior girl that goes to my school. Oh my god, that’s the girl that is dead!  
The e-mail says to check her locker and gives me the number and code, I’m so confused why did this person e-mail me this and tell her to open her locker. I leave Chick-fil-a because I have lost my appetite and want to see what is in her locker that needs to be seen. I start my drive to the school feeling uneasy about my situation, it is 11:20 so the juniors should be in their classes in 10 minutes and the seniors will be at lunch, so nobody will be in the halls which is perfect. I pull into the parking lot and park in the senior parking spots. I get out of my car and walk inside the school, right when you walk into our school there is the varsity gym then there is a small turf area on the other side. I walk through the freshman cafeteria and take a left towards the lockers and classes. Her locker number is 3765 which is all the way on the other side of the building, that’s annoying. I am walking through the school just thinking about all the memories, like when Ben and I had a race around the whole school and then a teacher sent us to ISS for the rest of the day when we were freshman. Also, later that year we started a food fight and got detention for the rest of the week which sucked. I was almost to the locker just a few more hallways and turns, I have no idea what’s going to be in the locker, I am kind of scared. Just a few more steps and I will be there, the e-mail said that the locker combo is 42-06-24. I get there and can hardly breathe because I am so nervous, I put in the combo and push up on the lock, the locker opens, and a small piece of paper falls out.  
The piece of paper reads “Come to the old barn on Oak St. Tonight at 10 p.m. if you want to live. I am tracking your phone so don’t even think about calling the cops”  
Holy crap. No way. Why. I am so confused why this person wants this and how they know me. This is the worst possible day for this to happen. I need to contact the cops, but this person is tracking my phone. Wait, they are tracking my sim card so I can pull it out but then I couldn’t do anything. I’m leaving the school and going home until 10, that’s when I make the worst decision ever and go to the barn. I get in my jeep and drive home, I’m in a daze again.  
I get home and go up to my room to go to sleep. I get into my bed and go to sleep; I wake up thirty minutes later. It’s 4:30, five and a half hours till the barn. School is over so I call Ben, he picks up on the second ring, “Where were you today, and did you hear that one sophomore died?” 
“Ben come to my house right now we need to talk.” 
Ben pulls into my driveway twenty minutes later and comes up to my room. “What’s up?” says Ben 
After I explain the whole story Ben just sits there in shock, “Are you serious?” 
“Does it seem like I’m joking?” 
“No, that’s just crazy.” 
“Are you coming with me to the barn?’ 
“Yes of course, I can’t let you die alone.” 
“Thank you, Ben, means a lot.” 
For the next four hours we talk about normal stuff; baseball, girls, college, and other stuff. When the clock hits 9:30 we get in my jeep and swerve out of the driveway. “What do you actually think is going to be in this barn?” I ask 
“I honestly have no clue, but if I had to guess I would say a murderer.” 
“We are kind of being really dumb by going to this barn.” 
“Yeah really dumb but whatever.” 
We pull up to the barn fifteen minutes later at 9:50, the lights are on but there is no noise. 
Ben and I get out of the jeep and walk up to the huge sliding doors, and we open them. 
“SUPRISE” there are at least 200 people in the barn, and they are all smiling at me. 
“Surprise.” says Ben who is also laughing 
“What the heck is this.” I’m smiling now 
“We threw you a party because we all admire your hard work and talent,” says Ben, “and we know you wouldn't have come if we didn’t scare you into it.” 
“What about my volunteer stuff and baseball?” 
“We already took care of that stuff, your showcase is tomorrow at 4, and the dead body and cops were actors.” 
“That’s crazy, I was actually so scared.” 
“Have fun tonight man.”