Put the Head Back! | Teen Ink

Put the Head Back!

Adam and Nora held hands as they walked down the lab. The walls were white and the lab looked clean. There were many computers and flasks all around the place. In not more than a few minutes, the couple would be travelling to ancient Egypt to recover Adam’s ancestors magical hat.

“Are you ready?” asked Nora. Nora looked at Adam. “If anything goes wrong, I want you to know I love you.”

Adom chuckled. “I’m as ready as ever. And I love you, too.” Adam replies, even though he is not ready. He is screaming on the inside, obviously scared and incapable of handling the travel. He kissed Nora to assure he is fine. The couple jumped through the time portal one at a time. There was a brief pause as Adom and Nora were airborne, then Adam suddenly fell into the past, followed by Nora.

“Wow. So this is what 800 C.E. looks like.” Adam gasped.

“This is really cool!” said Nora. “I’ve always wanted to see an ancient Egyptian funeral!”

The pyramid was a vast open space. They were surrounded by dancers and guests, celebrating the funeral.

“Let’s get the hat and get out of here!” Adam said.

“Yes, there is the coffin,” Nora pointed to a heavily crowded place. I see a person that resembles me, who is likely my ancestor as well. “Wait a second! Is your ancestor going to be mummified?”

“Shut up. You’re so weird!” Adam slapped Nora’s shoulder. “We need to cause a diversion.”

“Easy!” said Nora. She took out a blade and stabbed one of the dancers.

Adam stared at Nora. “Are you mad?”

“Our job is done. Let’s go!”

Nora walked to the coffin. Adam shook his head, but following anyways. They opened the casket, looking in. The mummy was a lot bigger than the both of them thought. The hat rested in the corner in order for it to fit in the casket.

“There!” Adam said. He took the hat out and turned around. “Now the job is done.”

Adam heard a cracking noise. He looked over to what Nora is doing. Nora had taken off the mummy’s head.

“Let’s go!” she walked back in the direction of the time portal.

Adam frowned. “Nora, why would you steal my ancestor’s head? Are you crazy?”

Nora said brightly, “To remember our trip to the past.” She smiled proudly. “We can hang it on our wall and it will be so cool!”

Adam screamed, “Put the head back! There are many others at this funeral! Someone will notice us stealing the head!”

Nora teased Adam in a mocking way, “Or worse… the mummy will come alive from the dead and hunt us down…. Besides, it’s so cool that his brain was extracted. Is it not?”

Adam began to get furious. “No it isn’t! You’re always this weird! This is why I get mad at you! Come on we need to get back into the time machine with the magical hat.”

Nora looked at Adam and decided to not feed on to his anger. “Why you think that hat is magical? It makes no sense.”

“Do we have to go over this again? I thought I explained this to you earlier!”

Nora grumbled to herself. Suddenly, a dark figure appeared near Adam. It whispered something to them, “Put. The. Head. Back.” It quickly vanished after whispering.

Adam said, “Oh my! Did you not just see that? The hat’s magical powers is already attracting unwanted attention. Listen to the thing! Put the head back, then we leave. Now!” He grabbed Nora’s hand and pulled on it.

Nora refused. “I enjoy it here though. Everyone is staring at our clothing.” Nora looked at her clothes. “We’re like the king and queen. And we’ll surely be the rulers if we share our futuristic knowledge.”

Adam became enraged. “Share our knowledge? We were taught this! We can’t go around taking credit! We’re not Einstein and I certainly don’t want to be him! Come on we’re running out of time. We need to get the hat back to the lab! Put the head back already!We’re going to create a disruption in time! We need to leave now!”

The dark figure once again appeared in front of the couple. Nora turns to look at it. The couple backed in fright.

Nora said, “What? Alright, now I am getting scared. But I still want to stay.”

Both of them exchanged looks then screamed. They ran in circles away from the figure.

Adam told Nora, “My ancestor is haunting us! I’m leaving.”

The figure vanished once again. Nora said in an amusing tone, “Stay, Adam. Please! Your ancestor is not haunting us.”

“Are you kidding?” Adam put his hands over his face in frustration. “Please! I beg! I’m telling you, that hat is magical and messing with it is already enough. Taking the skull is pushing it way to far!”

Nora walked up to Adam and placed her hand on his shoulder. Nora attempted to convince Adam, “Everything is going to be fine. Even if your magical hat can bring Noah back to life, I’m sure he wouldn’t want to hurt you. You’re related to him.”

Adam backed away from Nora. “I don’t even know you anymore! In all the movies about mummies, there has never been one where the mummy is a good guy.”

“I didn’t know you like movies about mummies.”

Adam took a step back in disgust, upset about Nora’s comment. “What do you know? How to be creepy? How can you not know that, though? We have been together for so many years.” Adam’s rage turns into sadness.

“Sorry, I forgot. Anyways, I don’t think that movies are the best place to get your information on mummies and history.”

“Well, they wouldn’t put it in the movies if it weren’t true…” Nora stared at Adam in a mocking fashion. “Don’t look at me like that!”

“You’re so dumb. I can’t believe that I time traveled with you. “

Adam yelled, “Same.”

They both faced away from each other with their arms crossed. Suddenly, Nora turns around and slaps Adam. Just after slapping Adam, Noah, Adam’s ancestor, appears in front of the two lovers. He is headless and wrapped in linen cloth, mummified.

Noah whispered, “I’ll be taking that head back young lady.” Noah takes his head and puts it back on his head.

Adam yelled, “That’s it. I’m leaving.” Adam jumped in the time machine, leaving Nora in the past with Noah.

Nora screamed. “No! He took the time machine.”

Noah smiled. “Goodbye young lady. I’m going to take a nap for a few millennia and then I’ll give your friend a little visit. I believe he owes me a hat.” Noah put his head back on and walked back to his coffin.

Nora whined, “Are you kidding me? Now I’m stuck in an ancient Egyptian funeral and I don’t have a boyfriend!”