Wednesday Night Pub | Teen Ink

Wednesday Night Pub

May 28, 2019
By Anonymous

Characters

Raena

Eric

James


Setting: The Stags Head Pub in Downtown Dublin, late Wednesday night, modern day. Nineteen year old Raena sat by herself at a table (upper stage right), eating and listening to the local musician’s melodic music blend with the sound of laughter, off-key singing of customers, and the strong waft of beer and food (lower stage right). Eric, a server at the pub, brings more water to Raena’s table.

 

Scene 1


Eric

Are you still doin’ alright? Anything I can get ya’?

(Coming up to Raena’s table, filling her empty glass with water)


Raena

Uh? Oh, no. Thank you. I’m okay, I just take awhile to eat. Thank you though, Eric.

(Laughs awkwardly, covering her hand with her sleeve, concealing the patterns she was drawing on her palm with her pen and looking at his name tag.)


Eric

(Looks up to the girl, taken aback by the accent)

Wow. You’re American? Just taking a vacation or something, then?


Raena

Oh, yeah I am. Vacation? I guess? Not to sure, just wanted to, travel, I guess.


Eric

And this is the place you thought of coming? Any particular reason?

(Leans against the table with his hand perched up)


Raena

(Looks back up to his face)

No. I think it was more of throwing a dart on the map and this is the closest place it landed, type of thing. I mean--I didn’t actually do that but my mindset was pretty similar. I saw an ad on the internet, something about Ireland, so I thought, why not go there? Dublin seems like a really cool place.


Eric

(amused)

And then you just hopped on the next available flight to Dublin and ended up here, huh?


Raena

(Looking down again, smiling sheepishly)

Looks like it.


Eric

Pardon me, ma’am, but you seem young and it’s the middle of January, shouldn’t you be focused on your studies? What you doin’ travelling across the world?


Raena

(Awkward)

I just figured the best time was now, right? Beat all the tourists--come early.


Eric

(Eyebrows furrowed)

In the middle of winter?


Raena

Yup. Seemed...easier to just come now.


Eric

(Confused, but shrugs nonetheless, pushing off from the table)

Well, that’s one way of looking at it. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you while you finish up, aight?


Raena

(Looks up as he starts to walk away)

Wait!


Eric

(Turns back around)

Mhm?


Raena

(Looking around the bar area)

Actually, I do have a question. What’s a good place to get ice cream around here?


Eric

(Snorts)

You want to get ice cream in the middle of winter? Man, I knew you Americans’ were crazy but that’s just downright ridiculous. Why you tryin’ to get ice cream this time of year?

(Laughs)


Raena

(Putting her chin on her propped up arm, shurgging)

Some people may enjoy having their ice cream in the summer, when it’s hot outside and you got your sweat running all way down your back and sticking to you shirt, but not me. I prefer it better when the snowflakes are falling onto your tongue, and your fingers are damn-near frostbitten. Maybe it makes me crazy, but hey; I’m also the girl taking a vacation when I should be back home studying. Guess it’s just in my nature.


Eric

(Hesitates, looking around at all the empty tables, everyone by the bar and live band, decides to sit down across from her)

And what’s that?


Raena

(Stifles a laugh, taking a drink from her water glass)

I don’t know, not following the norm, being that kind of “quirky” that makes people like you think, “what in the hell is going through this little girl's mind.” That kind of nature.


Eric

(Leans back in the chair, taping his fingers on the table)

I’ll make you a deal. I’ll tell you a good place to get ice cream, but you have to tell me why you’re really here. Cause I sure as hell know you’re parents ain't too fond of their daughter being halfway across the world for some ice cream.


Raena

(Setting the glass back on the table, crossing her arms defensively and pouting)

Hey! Who are you to say that my parents even care that I’m over here. For all you know they could’ve bought my plane ticket for me. You said it yourself, us Americans are crazy. Now, just why would I tell you anything about me, haven’t you ever heard of stranger danger? Man, you ask a simple question and have people thinking they have a right to know your whole life story. Well I’ve got news for you, mister, I’m not entitled to tell you nothing about me if I don’t want to. How do you even know that I go to school? Maybe I don’t. For all you know I’m just freeloading the couch in my parents basement. If anything, they should be happy. I’m doing them a favor; going abroad, ya know? Because at least I’m doing something with my life.


Eric

(Looks up from drawing circles on the table, ignoring her rant, raising an eyebrow)

So, we got a deal?


Raena

(Stares long and hard, sighs)

Yeah, whatever. What do you want to know?


Eric

(Smiles, satisfied)

Why are you here?


Raena

(Tapping her chin, thinking)

Well, this pub had some great reviews, and I could hear “Little Lions Man” playing from where I was standing outside, and they’re like, an amazing group. So I figured, why not. And coming in here, everyone just looked so...happy. Your guys’ foods pretty good too.

Eric

(Nods his head)

And is that what pulled you in? Seeing all these people happy?


Raena

(Looking at all the people surrounding the live band)

Yeah, I guess. They’re all kind of swaying to the music, closing their eyes, raising their glasses as if they don’t have a care in the world.


Eric

(Confused)

Isn’t this what all pubs are like?


Raena

(Laughs quietly)

God no. Walking into a pub where I’m from is preparing yourself to walk into the strong smell of desperation and sadness. It practically bounces off the college students walking around campus wondering if they’re making the right decisions with their life.

(Taking a drink of water)


Raena

Say, is it normally like this on a weeknight? Is that what it means to be an adult? Being able to come enjoy a live band on a Wednesday night, sing like no tomorrow, without worrying about anything?


Eric

(Surveying the room)

You think these people don’t have struggles of their own?


Raena

(Shrugs)

Maybe, but it sure doesn’t seem like it. How much are you really struggling if you’re able to let yourself go like they are on a freaking weeknight?


Eric

(Eyes her skeptically)

Well, isn’t that what you’re doing?


Raena

(Turns with narrowed eyes to the server)

What’s that supposed to mean?


Eric

(Laughs)

Come on. You don’t honestly expect me to believe you came here just because you wanted to travel? Aren’t you letting yourself go just by being here?


Raena

(Glaring at the server)

Are you insinuating that I don’t have problems going on in my life? Because I do, I’ll have you know. I think, maybe, I came here because my roommate and I don’t get along the best, ya know? Like we’re both very quiet, and neither of us communicate very well. Like one day, the dorm manager comes to our room and says she got a call about a bug problem. I didn’t know we had a bug problem! But my roommate thought we did and she never told me! Turns out we didn’t! Or maybe because my professor wouldn’t let me turn in my assignment later even though I had the flu! Like, are you kidding me? I had the flu! So I got an F! It was unbelievable. I have plenty of problems going on in my life, mister. College isn’t easy.


Eric

(Nodding along to the story, small smirk on his face)

So you do go to school?


Raena

(Gasps, covering her mouth)

Hey! You tricked me! You got me all riled up to go on some long rant to get that out of me. (Sighs). Yeah I go to school, alright?


Eric

(Hums)

Is that why you’re really here. Life weighing you down or something like that?


Raena

(Looks towards the customers by the bar again, then out the window, watching the snow fall down against the glass)

College is kind of like one big tree that grows, and grows and doesn’t stop. Or wait, for anyone, for that matter. Like, there's all these branches to climb up to and not a single one of them guarantees a way up to the top of the tree. Because you can also get stuck on one branch, or fall back down to another. I guess I’m not so sure I really know how to climb trees.


Eric

Does anyone really know how to climb trees, though? The only way you’re really going to know is by putting your foot on a branch and hoping that it doesn’t snap under you.

(Pours more water from the jug into her glass)


Raena

(Looks from the window to the server)

What kind of advice is that? Are Irish people just some tough love type, tell it like it is?


Eric

(Throws his head back in laughter)

No, I think it’s just me.


(Looking at the time on his watch. 11:30, half an hour to closing)

Well, you held up your end, I’ll stay true to mine. There's a desert parlor two blocks down from here. Turn left from here and keep going straight until you hit State street, it’s right on the corner.


Raena

(Opening up her wallet to pay)

Oh, right. Thanks. I’ll have to check it out tomorrow, there’s no way it’s still open right now.


Eric

(Getting up from the table)

Say, when are you leaving Ireland? It’s already bad enough your clocking out of school, shouldn’t be staying too long.


Raena

I’m actually on the last half of winter break. I told my parents I wanted to go back early, for finals, but I came here instead. But leaving, I’m not too sure. I bought a one way ticket.

(Laughs awkwardly, putting her hair behind her ear)


Eric

You’re revealing a lot about yourself for someone who wanted me to stay out of your business. What happened to stranger danger?

(Smiles amusedly)


Raena

Well, I’ve already told you a lot, and plus you seem...trustworthy. I’ve also been told I have pretty good intuition, so I’d know if I was in danger.

 

Eric

(chuckles, walking towards the bar with the register, center stage right))

Well, I’ll trust the expert then.


Raena

(Follows him and hands him her card)

Yeah. Thanks for talking to me, tonight. Here's the tip. It’s more than I’ve ever tipped anyone, and considering I’m a broke college student I’ll probably regret it, but consider it thanks.

(Pulls out a twenty dollar bill from her purse as he hands back her card and the receipt)


Eric

(Shocked)

Thank you, but, I can’t accept that.


Raena

Well, I know this place is closing in twenty minutes and I can’t leave until you do.

(Holds out the bill, unrelenting)


Eric

(Taking the bill with hesitation)

I appreciate it greatly. Thank you.


Raena

(Scratching the back of her neck, turning to walk out)

Um, yeah. No problem. Well, thank you. Bye...now.


Eric

(Calls after her)

Wait a minute!


Raena

(Turns around to look at him, holding the door open, lower stage left)

Yeah?


Eric

I’m not in any position to tell you how to live your life, but I have a son. He’s four. I would never want him to think that running far enough away to where it seems his problems don’t exist is better than taking a chance at testing the branches. If not your parents, than maybe someone or something else. Specifically something closer to home.


Raena

(Laughs)


Eric

The point is, you’re much too young to be here on your own. Go home.

(Smiles at her warmly)


Raena

(Conflicting)

I--have a good night, Eric.

(Walks out the door)


Eric

(Sighs, shaking his head defeated and starts closing the pub as the last of the people and the band leave)


End of Scene 1

Scene 2


Setting: The next morning, 11:45 am. Eric is working the morning shift, cleaning the tables as no one is in the pub yet (center stage right). The door to the pub is lower stage left, and the bar is lower stage right. All the chairs, besides the one being cleaned, are on the tables, throughout the stage.


Eric

(Looks up to the bell chimes, signaling the door opening, lower stage left)

I’ll be with you in just a second.


Raena

Hi. It’s me, again, actually.

(Shuffles towards the table Eric is cleaning)


Eric

(Surprised)

Oh, hello. What can I help you with?


Raena

(Struggling to explain herself)

So, I went to that dessert parlor this morning, right? I kept thinking about it once I got to my hotel last night and I decided I’d go right when it opened. You weren’t the only one who looked at me weirdly about the whole ice cream thing.


Eric

(Stifles a laugh)

I’m sure they were surprised about someone coming in asking for ice cream when there’s about five feet of snow on the ground, huh?


Raena

(Laughs, taking off her mittens and hat)

Yeah. Truth is, though, I lied.


Eric

About which part?


Raena

I don’t enjoy eating ice cream in the winter that much. I mean, I do, but no more than any other dessert. I just really felt in the mood for it, but this morning, not so much. So I took back asking for ice cream and asked for one of the cupcakes in the display, instead, which was really good. But then I thought of getting you one, so...here.

(Holds out the cupcake in the box towards him)


Eric

(Accepts with a small smile)

Why, thank you. Not to invalidate your gift, but something tells me you didn’t walk two blocks down this way in order to tell me that you got cupcakes instead of ice cream.


Raena

(Sitting down at the table he was cleaning, playing with the mittens in her hand)

Tell me about your son.


Eric

(Sits down across from her)

What would you like to know?


Raena

(Shrugs)

Anything, I guess. What’s he like?


Eric

(Looking up towards the ceiling, smiling fondly thinking of him)

Ha, a mischievous one he is. That boy almost always has too much energy for me to handle, much less keep up with. His name is James. He loves watching cartoons on Sunday mornings, so it’s the one day I’m guaranteed to have off. We always are up by seven a.m. to pour bowls of cereal and sit on the couch together. He also loves going to the zoo, his favorite animals are the penguins. It’s his favorite thing to do in the summer.


Raena

(Smiles)

Is it just you and him, then?


Eric

Yeah. His mother died a few years ago. Oh, stop giving me that look. I don’t enjoy sympathy. Since then it’s been just him and I. He goes to daycare during the week while I work here.


Raena

What was she like?


Eric

(Contemplative)

Very, spontaneous. Much like what I’ve seen from you, actually. She was very exuberant, though. Loved adventure and living more on the wild side. I was a very quiet guy, didn’t talk much. Had it not been for her, I probably wouldn’t have held conversation with you as long I had last night. When I met her, she was scared of commitment, didn’t like the idea of being tied down to something she felt that she could somehow mess up. The same way I’m guessing you’re feeling right now.


Raena

(Looks down to her lap, playing with a hole in her jeans)

So what changed?


Eric

James. It’s not that she wasn’t confident with us, but James was something different, something that, even with her fears, she couldn’t walk away from. She was a great mother, and she learned to confront her fears better. She had to, for his sake.


Raena

(Looks back up to him)

I called my parents last night, too. I told them where I really was. Don’t think I did it because of you, because I didn’t, alright? I just felt bad, I guess, that they didn’t know. I thought they were going to be really mad, but they weren’t. They felt confused, I think. If anything, they were more mad that I came here before they did, we’re Irish, ya know? We always talked about coming to Dublin. Yeah, yeah. Me choosing to come here wasn’t random, so I guess I lied about that too. But anyways, I told them that college is hard and they understood better than I thought they would.


Eric

(Nodding his head along, arms crossed over his chest)

As much as it may not seem like it now, we all have those kind of fears. Being an adult doesn’t mean not having a care, or not having them anymore--just finding a reason to overcome them.


Raena

You’re right, it doesn’t seem like that right now.


(Both laugh)


Raena

I think that when I go back, I’m going to talk to my roommate. Maybe she’ll want to go out for ice cream, or something like that. I think I need to tell her that we need to communicate more about who is taking out the trash, so it stops becoming overfilled, also. I’ll tell my parents that I’m sorry too, because we always have this big dinner right before I leave for the campus again. But, I left really abruptly last week, and I miss having my mom’s cooking. I am a college student, after all. I live off of ramen noodles.


Eric

(Laughs)

So, is that what you came here to tell me? Ask about my family?


Raena

Um, no, actually. I wanted to thank you, but also I wanted to show you this.

(Pulls out phone from her pocket)


Raena

It’s my ticket, see? I caught the next available flight to Chicago, it’s where I live. Anyways, it is supposed to leave later today, around three p.m.


Eric

(Stands up from the table)

Well, I’m glad then.


Raena

(Stands up along with him, putting back on her mittens and hat)

Yeah, I just wanted to let you know before I go. I figured that I should probably thank you. Not that you’re the reason that I decided to go back today, or anything, don’t get it twisted. I just...yeah, thanks.


Eric

(Shakes his head at her stubbornness)

Well, if I didn’t contribute to your decision, so I don’t know what you’re thanking me for. You’re welcome, though, anyway.


Raena

I didn’t really see anything while I was here, I was only here for about two days. Next time I come, I’ll come with my parents. We’ll see Blarney Castle and other things like that. Maybe we’ll come visit you.


Eric

I’d like that. Just make sure you aren’t running from school again.


Raena

(Rubbing the back of her neck

Yeah, I’ve learned my lesson with that. Its past noon, I should start heading to the airport. So, I guess this is goodbye then.


Eric

Yeah, I guess it is.


Raena

(Starts heading towards the door, lower stage left)

Thank you, again.


Eric

(Calls after her)

Hey!


Raena

(Turns back around)


Eric

I never got your name.

Raena

Raena, my name is Raena.


Eric

(Smiles)

Well, it was nice meeting you Raena.


Raena

(Smiles back, tipping her head)

The same to you. Goodbye, Eric.

(Leaves out the door)


Stage goes black

End of Scene 2



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.