The Field Of Death | Teen Ink

The Field Of Death

By zclausen, Lincoln, Nebraska
zclausen, Lincoln, Nebraska

Author's note:

Needs lots of work but it's something I think. Not done by any means

There is a story that I was told as a kid that happened off of highway 666, not too far from where I live. Just about 30 miles east of here. I used to think I was story up until last summer. The story goes that one day a farmer was going over his corfield with his combine. Halfway through his land in the middle of nowhere there he saw something red sticking out in the field. He stopped his vehicle a few yards in front of the red thing. Got out of his truck and went to look  at what he saw. Walking up he saw it was a body. Dead and decaying. The man started to run back to his combine but before he could get to it something came from behind and drained he life from his body. The man layed there for 6 days before anyone found him. His body was taken to the mortuary but none of the coroners could figure out what killed him. They ruled it was a natural death. A weird natural dead but natural nonetheless. The only I know this story is because when my grandpa told me he said that this man was his best friend. Being 15 and naive I figured it was just old ramblings. The day after freshman year got out I planned to go over to where my grandpa said all of “this” happened. Just out of curiosity. I called a couple of friends up. Max, and David. My name is Rob by the way. None of us believed in anything strange at the time so we just thought nothing of it and thought it would be fun to say that we went over to the place of this man's Death and survived for it is said that almost everyone who goes there dies in the same way the original man did. The only exception was my grandpa who lived to tell the story but has scars all over his back that are black and look like forks of lightning stretching all of his back. We packed our backpacks with snacks and water, along with some camping gear because what is a good time in a “Scary” place without spending the night. Max was 16 fresh out of drivers school and only had his license 5 days so we told our parents that we were staying at Max’s house. The plan was to hang out until his parents weren’t looking and then sneak out the back door and head over to the sight. It was 3ish when we left. 4ish when we finally got there cause someone called david had to stop to pee several times for some reason. When we got there the place was empty. Too empty. A creepy empty. It’s live everyone knew what happened but didn’t talk about it ever and forgot the places existed. Miles and miles of just dead plants and then the occasional dead spot. There was what looked like a river a few miles west. It was hot so all of us decided to go and take a dip in the cool water. A little ways away form that were some trees that looked like a good spot for a camp sight. It was 10 when we finally settled down for the evening and started a fire. Biggest mistake we ever made. We had a bunch of candy and sandwiches and drinks. All practically gone when we went to sleep. Maybe an hour later I was the only one still up thinking about the girls I’ll meet next semester. Of course. I heard a sound rustling outside. It sounded like footstep but I thought “who would be out here at this specific spot”. I played it off as just an animal that had stumbled across our sight in search for food cause we didn’t but our food away and thought nothing else about it for a bit. I heard the sound again maybe 5 minutes later but closer. Me not wanting to scare the animal but wanting to get a look at what kind of animal it was slowing unzipped the tent front. Slowly looking at where I heard the sound come from I saw a figure. Standing. Looking away. In the opposite direction as me. I froze. This man was at least six foot four but what was weird about him besides being out here at all was that I could kind of see through him. He took a few steps and started to turn around. I instantly darted back into the tent...