Rose Pea | Teen Ink

Rose Pea

January 8, 2019
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This is a very old story that has been lying around for years.

Back when the Earth was new, and there was only a small village, there lived seven

siblings; Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet. Red was the oldest out of the the seven, but she was very adventurous. Orange was second, he was very calm and kind. Yellow was a very bright and cheerful one. Green was down to Earth and smart. Blue was the coolest she was always the life of the party. Indigo was a troublemaker,she was often guilty of many crimes. Last was Violet, he was a flower child .

                 The siblings lived in complete harmony, but Indigo was always getting in the way of that. She would continue to try to replace Red in her position of power as the caretaker of the family. You see, when they were young, their parents were murdered. Red, being the oldest took the role as mother and father, she would also inherit most of the money that the family made. This made Indigo upset. Indigo was a power hungry girl who would do anything to be on top. Even if it meant eliminating her only family.

                   No one knew it, but Indigo had a plan. For eight years she elaborated on the plan, thinking of new ways  to execute it perfectly. Adding new ideas, and scrapping old. The plan would work perfectly. But, What Indigo did not know,was that the Gods were watching her every move. Watching her hatred towards her sister grow more and more each day. Watching her become distant from her siblings who loved her so much. Watching the only sanity in her deteriorate in front of their very eyes. For this reason, they also had a plan, a plan to fix what has been lost.

                  Indigo did not want to admit it, but she had a hidden guilt. As weak as that may seem for an unemotional girl like her, deep down she loved all her sisters and brothers. Some days she wanted to disappear, trying to forget what she really was on the inside. A merciless killer. Red was not going to be Indigo’s first kill, but actually her third. To make things clear, Indigo was a very problematic child. Her first kill was a partial accident, her first kill was her parents.

    She was just seven when it happened. Indigo did not mean to do it, oh no. It just happened. There was a love hate relationship with her and her parents. She believed that her parents loved everyone of her siblings more than they loved her, especially Red.  To try to get their attention she tried to play an innocent prank on them. She made them their favorite dish, but laced it with the most potent berry there was around in the village, the Rose pea. Indigo had been told that the seedless Rose pea would only cause vomiting, nothing too serious, so Indigo put four in the dish, and waited for her parents to eat it. As expected, her parents ate it. After three minutes they choked and died. For she had kept the seeds in the pea . Her biggest mistake.

Indigo wanted to hide, she did not know what to do. She knew it was an accident but deep down, she knew she wanted it to happen. Her siblings eventually came and saw what had happened. Red being as caring as she is took Indigo in her arms as she cried. Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet tried to comprehend what was going on. They did not know that their beloved sister killed their only caretakers. No one would ever know, no one would know that Indigo was the cause of their pain. Indigo of course did not want anyone to know, she wanted to leave. She thought that if she closed her eyes, everything would go back to normal. Nonetheless, when she opened her eyes everything stayed the same. Red was still clutching her waist, her parents still lay lifeless on the floor, and her brothers and sisters still looked at each other in pure dismay. It was hell.

Indigo remembers the incident as if it was just yesterday. She can still hear her mother gasping for breath, and her father moan in pain as he realized that it was his last day on the cruel Earth. It was still fresh and vivid in her mind. Now a new incident would be fresh and vivid in her mind, in a good way...Red’s death. It would not be an accident, but an achievement. A trophy on her wall. A winning ribbon. She would make herself very proud.

Indigo was ready to take out the “trash”. She was ready to get rid of what she did not want anymore. She  was more than ready to go on with her plan. But before she would do that, she would give Red the best day of her life. If she was going to die, she might as well die happy.
    Indigo decided that she was going to take her oldest sister out to her favorite place, The Far Forest. It was a forest beyond the village that few dared to go to. However, Indigo knew that Red was a daring child and loved to go places that Indigo would not. Another reason why Indigo always disliked her. For she was daring,beautiful,courageous and strong. Indigo thought of herself as unwanted and unnecessary. Still, that was all to change because Red was going away for a very long time.

   Indigo sought out to find Red. She found her peacefully sleeping in their tiny makeshift bed. Back when their parents died Red found it fit for Indigo and her to sleep together. Indigo suspected it was to keep an eye on her, to keep her from messing their life up again. Indigo softly crept up to Red and gently shook her to wake her up. Red woke up with a little whine, wondering why Indigo was interrupting her daily nap. Indigo ignored her protests and pulled Red from her comfortable space. Indigo gleefully told her they were going to the Far Forest. Red obviously beamed with joy, just the reaction Indigo wanted. She may have been a horrible person, but she firmly believed that everyone should die happy.

Indigo and Red ventured to the far forest leaving their brothers and sisters to fend for themselves. Indigo could see the life in Red's eyes, it was a sight she had  not seen since “the incident.” She wished she did not have to kill her sister, but that was the way things had to be. If you want to be all powerful you need to remove the one who is.

Indigo and Red had the most fun they had in years. They swam in the purest lake there was around, and chased each other on the rocky terrain. They caught an abundance of chicken, and harvested heaps of vegetables. They later went back to their tiny home in their village. Indigo volunteered to make dinner for her family. She went into the kitchen and lit the fire pit. She put the chicken over the fire pit, and washed the vegetables. Indigo then put chicken and vegetables on everyone’s plate, and saved an ear of corn for Red. She was ready to execute her plan. Poison Red’s food, her corn per say. She crushed up some Rose pea that she had picked up in secret while Red was enjoying her escapade. Indigo picked up the crushed berry with her bare hands, and smeared it on the corn. She picked up the rest of the plates and served it to her eager family. They thanked her and started to eat.

Indigo was excited. She was excited because she was ready to claim her money and her power. She did not care about her other siblings because they were easy to defeat. Red was the only setback. Indigo went out to the village well to get water and clean her hands of the Rose pea residue . When she came back to her home, she heard violent choking. A smile came on her face, it was finally Red’s time. The smile ceased when she heard more than one person choking. Indigo ran inside her once peaceful home and fell. What she saw was enough to kill her.

    Not only was Red choking but so was Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet. Indigo paused as she saw the lifeless bodies of her once joyful siblings. She cried as she wondered what she did wrong. Indigo only smeared the potent berry on Red’s corn, and no one else had any. What could have went wrong? Indigo crawled over to their lifeless bodies, she couldn't even bring herself to walk. She picked up Violet's plate, as his was the closest to her. She analyzed the plate carefully as if her life depended on it. When she noticed her mistake she froze. There was a section of the squashed death Berry on his plate. Indigo quickly got up and checked everyone else's plate, everyone's was the same. Every single dish had the same residue she once had on her hands. Indigo dropped on the floor and cried. Why couldn't she kill anyone right? Everything she did ended in chaos. But maybe not this time, maybe she could make this work. Indigo first took Red’s body and dragged it out the house, she put it in a hole she had dug hours before, it was the perfect size for Red as she was the one Indigo meant to kill. Before Indigo absentmindedly put Red in her shallow grave, she took a moment to look at Red's once bright face. The deed had finally been done, the look of Red's deceased body was enough to make Indigo cry in joy. Her once auburn hair losing its color, and the sparkle in her honey brown eyes fading away. Nonetheless, the other expired bodies was enough to  her cry in pain.

Indigo went back to the house and walked towards Blue’s body. She was once the only one to make Indigo laugh on rainy days and sleepless nights. Indigo’s favorite thing to do was looking into Blue’s crisp lapis eyes. Now she had to look into her emotionless eyes and lay her to rest in the last place her body would ever touch. Indigo carefully picked up Blue’s body and put it in a wooden cart, she did not want to carry everyone else's body one by one, so she loaded them in a cart all together. When all was in the cart, she started to push them out the house. Looking back Indigo thought about what her parents would think. She continued to push them until Orange fell out. Indigo fell startled at the large thump he made. She picked Orange up and put him back in the cart. She stared into his now grey lifeless eyes and remembered a time when Orange would calm her down when she was having her usual temper-tantrums. Now who was going to calm her down. Not Red not Orange not Yellow not Green not Blue not Violet, especially not her parents. She had made a big mistake.

As Indigo was digging the graves for her siblings the Gods were watching down on her, trying to contain the fury that was quickly forming in their body. Indigo had killed one of their own, and now she was going to pay. The Gods changed into their human form and slowly followed their once vigorous child. Indigo as unsuspecting as she was, walked into her home with a despondent look on her face. She hopped into her bed and went to sleep. The Gods were ready to punish her. The Gods opened her door and stomped towards Indigo’s sleeping form. Indigo opened her eyes to investigate what the noise was, she looked towards the Gods direction. Indigo tried to figure out who it was, as it was not someone from the village. The Gods went towards her and erupted out of their human forms. Indigo was petrified, what had she done to earn the looks of the Gods?  She went on her knees and asked why they had come to her. The Gods replied with a mighty voice and told her that she was to be punished for the cruel things she did to her eldest sister and her siblings. With a flash of bright light, Indigo was lifted up into the sky, she looked down and saw her siblings bodies being lifted up with her. When she looked in front of her she saw her precious parents. They did not look happy to see their beloved daughter, instead they looked tired and depressed. The sight made Indigo’s heart drop, but she did not have enough time to apologize to them, because more people were coming back to life, her siblings.

As her siblings stood before her she felt sorrow, except for Red because Red was a reminder of something she finally did right. Her siblings looked at her the same way her parents looked at her, with total disappointment. Before Indigo could say anything, she felt a pain in her stomach that quickly made its way in all of her limbs like a parasite. As her limbs started to ache, she could feel them turning into a light and airy substance, she felt like those lepers she saw in her village long ago whose body parts would fall off. After what felt like an eternity of agony, her transformation was finally complete. The Gods stood tall as they looked down on her, she was now a puffy white thing that she could not explain. When she looked to the Gods for an explanation they simply said “Cloud.” Indigo could not cognize what was going on. She looked back at her siblings who were also transforming into something new. Rainbow, as the Gods called it. Indigo saw her siblings mashed together in an array of colors, when she looked closely she saw an unknown color in between what she believed to be Blue and Violet as she was guessing the order was in oldest to youngest. She believed it ought to be her. Later, after the incident the Gods started to wrap up the punishment, so they picked Indigo up and lifted her further into the sky, along with her siblings who did not glow their beautiful colors anymore.

Indigo was sorrowful. Everything that happened was deserved because of her carelessness and pernicious behavior. She started to feel a heavy feeling in her now puffy body and started to cry, which probably looked like leaking from down below. Rain was an appropriate name to call it she thought. She later started to feel angry and a strike of light came from her body. She decided to call it lightning because of how it looked like light to her. Indigo decided to call out to her family for forgiveness but it sounded more like an explosion for which she called thunder. When her little episode was finished she saw her siblings in the sky. They came to comfort her. This made Indigo feel wanted for the first time.

Now today, Indigo still resides in the sky as a cloud. Nevertheless, whenever she gets a little upset and pours out a little rain, lightning, and thunder. Her siblings, now known as the rainbow, are always there after to comfort her.


 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.