Medieval Diary | Teen Ink

Medieval Diary

January 21, 2020
By keirhop, London, Other
More by this author
keirhop, London, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This Diary entry was used for a history project that I had done in the seventh grade. It will teach you about the day in the life of a fur trader in the middle ages. 

                Diary Entry                                                                   

                                                                                                                  December 12, 1328


This morning I woke up with a better feeling than yesterday. I was confident that today I would find an ermine, mink or even a sable, not a dreary old rabbit or deer. I was determined to find the best fur Kiev had ever seen. 

As soon as I got out of bed I put on my fur coat and leather boots and quickly ate some porridge. I rushed out of my door to notice the giant pile of snow spread across the whole town. Every step I took I could hear the crunch of the snow, pressing against my leather boots. I made my way to the blacksmith and as soon as I got there I asked: “Is it ready?”  He smiled and handed me my brand new sharpened quarrels and crossbow. I presented him with 6 rubles, but he didn’t accept my offer. “Higher,” he said. I pulled out my purse and scratched around until I found another 2 rubles. He reluctantly agreed and I headed off to the woods. 

As soon as I got there I  loaded my crossbow and started walking deeper into the woods. On my way there I heard a quiet noise coming from behind a bush. I prowled slowly towards it, making sure it wouldn’t run away. I had one last step until I was close enough to get a clear shot of the animal. I reached over and shot it. I started walking around the bush to get a better look at what I caught.  

My smile slowly turned into a frown when I saw what I caught. Behind the bush I found a tiny albino white rabbit lying dead on the snow. I picked it up and put it in my satchel, just in case I didn’t find anything else. It was disappointing, but no matter. I still had a good feeling about today. I kept walking and walking, making sure I made no noise, but after a while of searching, I gave up and headed back home. 

While I was on my way back to town I heard the faintest noise coming from a short distance. I proceeded to walk closer to the noise and got my crossbow ready. I got closer and closer to the noise until I stepped on the tiniest branch. The animal immediately darted past me. I took one shot and hit the animal on the side of its stomach. 

From a faraway glance, I could tell I hit something rather small. I came closer to it and my eyes almost popped out of my head. What lay right below me was a sable. I took a deep breath, carefully laid the precious animal into the satchel with the rabbit and headed back home. 

When I got home I set out all the materials I needed to skin the sable, which was just my knife and a bone tool. I then got to work. I started with skinning the animal from its lower lip all the way down. After I did that I took the end of my bone tool and scraped the excess fat and flesh off. When I was finished I gathered up all the fur I collected for the past month and placed them into my satchel, ready to take it to the merchant the next morning. 

                                                                                           December 13, 1328    

It was the next morning and I traveled to the market to give Merek (the merchant) the furs. When I got there I found Merek standing next to a bakery. I handed the satchel of furs to him but before I could move any further Merek pointed to the bakery which smelt of freshly made bread and sweet kasha. I smiled and agreed to get something since I had nothing for breakfast. 

We were finally first in line and the baker asked, “What may I get you today?”  Merek smiled and asked for two kashas. The baker then walked around a noble who was using the oven and came back with the kashas. We both thanked him and went back to the business we needed to finish. 

I gave Merek the satchel of furs and in return, he gave 12 rubles and a piece of information. Merek told me that the fur that I had collected over the past month would be used in a 366 pelt coat, presented to King John of France. I was amazed and I took this piece of information home with me, writing it into my diary so the fantastic news that Merek the merchant told me would last forever. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.