Between East and West | Teen Ink

Between East and West

By LamijaKovacevic, San Jose, California
LamijaKovacevic, San Jose, California

Rationale: This story takes place during the same time period as The Great Gatsby took place in. It happens in New York but occurs mainly in between East And West egg.  One reason I wrote this story the way I did because I didn’t want Gatsby to die and I really wanted him to end up with Daisy at the end. Since at the end Daisy ended up with Tom instead, I decided to incorporate that into the story as well and put them into a love triangle type of situation. 

Between the East and West

It was a hot summer day at the Buchanan mansion and this was the day when Gatsby and Daisy were going to admit to Tom that they were having an affair but things ended up taking a strange turn. 

It was around 1 o’clock in the afternoon and Tom, Daisy, Gatsby, Nick, and Jordan were all sitting in the sunroom having lunch. They were eating some fancy salads with gold leafs placed on top. Daisy and Gatsby kept glancing at one another throughout the entirety of this lunch and Tom sure was noticing and he was getting visibly upset as well. 

“Quit looking at my wife, would ya?!” exclaimed Tom to Gatsby

Gatsby seemed to actually be frightened considering the fact that he basically jumped out of his seat. His eyes darted back and forth from Tom to Daisy. He got up and yelled,

“I can’t do this anymore, alright? Im done!” 

He began going for the door to leave the sunroom, but Daisy stopped him in his tracks. 

“No. You can’t leave Jay. You have to stay here. I’ll tell him, I promise.” she whispered in his ear, hinting to the fact that she’d tell Tom she no longer loved him.

Gatsby looked at her with an approving smile and nodded to her. Daisy grabbed Gatsby’s hand and walked with him back to the dining table and she announced to the group that she had something to tell them. 

“Tom, I want to be in a throuple with you and Gatsby here.” 

The room was silent and Daisy was met with no response. The shocked look on everybody’s face, including Gatsby’s was enough for her to know that there was no agreement with her idea. 

Daisy decided she’d try and break the silence by bringing Tom into it and asking him how he felt about it.

“Tom, what do you think?”

“I think you’re crazy,” responded Tom with an angry tone.

Gatsby quickly joined in and said, “Crazy is right, this is the most absurd idea I've heard in my whole life.”

“Oh come on.” said Daisy. “It’ll work, I’m sure of it.”

The rest of that scorching afternoon was filled with long conversations about the topic although much conversing didn’t seem to be done. The conversation mostly consisted of Tom and Gatsby yelling back and forth at one another with Daisy just trying to get them to cut it out. 

“Quit acting like animals would ya?! I wish you two could just understand.” said Daisy, with her voice cracking.

Tom and Gatsby both stopped yelling and looked to Daisy and found her with her hands in her face. She began to cry.

“Daisy, what’s wrong, my dear?” stuttered Gatsby. “Please don’t be upset. Im sorry”

“No, we’re sorry.” replied Tom. “We will try to make this work. No matter how hard it may be for us, we just want to see you happy.”

After the group had a long, but civil conversation, Tom and Gatsby agreed that they would share Daisy and be in a throuple with her because they both loved her equally as she did them too. 

Over the next few years, they began living together in a new home they built. There was a small island right in the middle of the East and West eggs and they put their money together and bought that island. They hired a construction team to build them a house there that suited them all. 

After the construction of their home, they began to live on the island. Gatsby and Tom and Daisy’s child, Pammy, began to grow very close and actually built up a great relationship as she grew older. She saw him as the parent she never really had because her parents never cared all that much about her. 

With this situation progressing, people began to find out about what was going on and in no time, the press got the news as well. The papers were filled with stories on top of stories about what was happening and whether or not it was true. Reporters would try their hardest to get onto their island to interview them but it was no use. The waters surrounding their home were packed with security in boats they hired to keep people off of their land. 

After all of the chaos that consumed their lives, Tom and Gatsby never fully got along. They were civil, of course, for Daisy, but they never conversed without her presence there. They would always throw one another nasty glances and both seemed to want to tear one another apart but never acted on their urges so everything stayed fairly calm.

A few more years into this relationship, Daisy got the news that she was pregnant with yet another child and this one happened to be Gatsby’s. Pammy, who at this point was about 6, was very excited to be a big sister and couldn’t wait for the new baby to arrive.

After the birth of little Eleanor Gatsby Buchanan, the family seemed to be brought even more together. Gatsby and Tom very surprisingly became great friends. They did just about everything together and had a great time doing so. Pammy was also so excited that she had a little sister now and was the most caring, helpful big sister she could be. After all they had been through, they finally seemed to all get along and lived a very happy and exciting life with their two children on their private little island.