Finiding Winter | Teen Ink

Finiding Winter

By jackfrost SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
jackfrost SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts

I ran through the forest, leaves crunched under my feet.
“Jack, where are you?” My mother called as she stood at the doorway to the cottage. Running as fast I can, I spread my arms and pretended that I could fly.
“JACK!” My mind could tell that my she was not happy.

I jumped over logs, rocks and tree roots. My legs led me through an open field. In the distance I could see smoke coming from the chimney.
Just as I could see the cottage, my little sister Annabelle ran towards me. “Jackeey!” She held out her hands to me. “Tomorrow will you teach me how to how to skate?” she asked.
“Sure Annabelle after lunch okay?” My sister nodded as I hugged her.

My name is Jacquelyn, but my friends and family call me Jack. I am eighteen and have a little sister, a mother and father, but he left after I was born so my sister and I have never met him before. My little sister is Annabelle, but we call her Bella for short. Bella is ten going onto eleven tomorrow. The story that I am about to tell you is not about my family, but about me. I am known as Jack Frost.

“Jack, come and eat some dinner.” My mother was still in the doorway.
“Yes, mother.” I walked into the cottage and to the table. I sat down and started to eat.

I have long brown hair and brown eyes. My height is 5’3. I have a very bubbly personality. I always loved to help my sister and her friends. I also loved to fool around and tell stories.

The next day, was my sister’s birthday, the day I taught her to skate and then day that I thought that I died.
“Jackeey, I am ready.” Annabelle was standing at the doorway.
“I am coming.” I put on my cloak and grabbed my walking stick.

The sun shown down on us, but the wind was cold. The snow on the ground had recently fell.

When we finally arrived, I helped my sister put her new skates on. I took my shoes off so that I was barefoot and that I couldn’t fall onto the ice. I helped my sister onto the frozen pond.
“Jackie, I am scared.” I noticed that her knees were trembling.
“Annabelle, I am right here to help you. How about we play a game.” Annabelle smiled. The ice started to crack as she started to take a step towards me. “Don’t move!” She nodded as I grabbed my stick and used it to pull her towards my as I fell forwards. She flew the other way, she stood up and smiled. Just when I stood up, the ice broke and I fell straight down.
“Jackeey!” I could hear her cry, but her words faded.

The light disappeared, my eyes closed. Darkness filled my mind. Jacquelyn... Jacquelyn...wake up!! My eyes flew open, I coughed, but no water came out. I slowly stood up and looked around, but there was no one there. My eyes gazed up at the moon and then at the spot where I fell through the ice, but there was no hole and instead there was a reflection. Was my hair white? I grabbed my hair in my hands and tried look at it in the dark. I sighed and remembered that I had to head home. I ran as fast as I could until I could see the cottage. When I looked into the house, I saw my sister in the window. My heart almost skipped a beat as I ran. “Annabella, Annabelle, Mother!” No one heard me. Was I dead? No, I can’t be. I watched my little sister and mother.
“Don’t cry Annabelle, don’t be scared.” Tears ran down Annabelle’s cheeks.
Jacqueline, over here. I heard the voice again in my mind.
“Is someone there?” I asked, “Hello?” No one answered. I kept watching.
“Mother, what happened to father?”
“I told you that he left for many different reasons I don’t know.” My mother smiled, “As long as Jacqueline is in heaven and is happy, we will be happy.”

I walked to the window and touched it. Frost started to cover it. I could see that my sister wasn’t looking. I decided to find a way into the house. I climbed up to my bedroom window and climbed in. Looking around the room to see that everything that I had was where it should be. I walked to my bed and looked at it. Lifting my left leg, I climbed onto it and jumped...wait, am I floating?

I put weight forward and started to fly around the room. I soon placed my feet on the ground again. I opened the door and literally flew down the stairs.
Jack leave them be.
I turned my head, “Is anyone there?” No one answered. I stood in the middle of the room.

My sister walked across the floor to the stairs. “Annabelle, it is me Jack.” She walked through me. I watched her and then flew up to her room and looked around until I saw a piece of paper on her desk. I looked at it and started to read.

Dear Jackey,

Why did you have to die? I am scared. My life will be different. There will be no one to talk to. You make everything fun like it is a game. My friends will probably just ignore me. If you could read this, please give me a sign that you are okay and alive or you are an angel and is supposed to be watching over me like a guardian. I believe in you...

I heard the door open. I quickly flew up to a corner and continued to read.

...Have you ever seen father? Mother told me that he left when you were little. I hope you have seen him. If you have and still are alive, please tell me.

Love Annabelle,

I looked up from the letter and at my sister. I could tell that she was crying.
“Annabelle, if you believe then why are you not seeing me?”

Annabelle looked behind her. “Is someone there? Jackey?” I flew to the outside of the window and touched it. Belle looked at the window. She turned and saw the frost spreading, “Jack Frost!”

I looked at her as she watched something being drawn on the window. I drew a bunny and she laughed at it as it came alive.
“Jack Frost!” She clapped her hands and then frowned, “Jacqueline, is that you?” I did not answer. I was too scared. “Jackey, I know that you are there. Please come out. Do not be scared.” I could see a tear roll down her right cheek. I opened my mouth and then closed it. I decided to fly back to the pond, but stayed put. Taking a deep breath, I moved back into the room.
“Jackey, where are you? I cannot see you.” My eyes went wide. I walked to her desk and held the letter she was writing to me. “Jackey!!” She ran towards me and hugged me, but looked like she was hugging the air.

I flipped the page and wrote Believe. My sister Annabelle nodded, “yes, I believe.” My sister closed her eyes and then reopened them. “Jackey! I thought that you were dead? Jackey? I can’t see you.”

I squatted on a branch in a big tree just outside the window. “Jackey!” She ran to the window and called my name. I watched her and folded the piece of paper up and put it into my pocket. I flew back to the pond. When I left, Annabelle walked back to her desk to finish the letter to me, she did not see it, but another piece of paper. She picked it up and read it.

Dear my sweet Annabelle,

I am alive if you are wondering, I am sorry. I cannot let you see me like this yet. I will come back when I decide to.

Love your Jackey.

Just when I landed my feet on the frozen pond. I could hear snow crunch close by. “Well, if it isn’t Jack Frost.” I froze where I was. “I thought that you would be here. Our master told us all about you.”

This guy was tall. He had dark brown eyes that looked black, his hair was long grey which he put in a ponytail. He had leather shoes which looked like they were made somewhere in Europe. Same with the leather satchel, but I could tell that it was made somewhere in USA and bought in a convenient store. Then he had a dagger in his left hand and a sword in the right hand.

I stayed put where I was, what am I going to do? Should I run or stay and fight? I watched him, “Whoever you are, I am not Jack Frost.”
“On the contrary, you are. You fell through the ice, you awoke and when you looked at the hole you fell through, it was not there, your hair is white and your mother and little sister cannot see you...”
“Stop chit chatting Greg. You should not be telling this girl this. Our boss clearly told us to catch Jack Frost. Jack Frost is a boy not a girl.”
“But this is Jack Frost, Mac.” I stood there as the two argued until I decided to back up. Once I backed up enough, I flew to a tree and hid from the two men.

The two men turned and realized that I was not there. “Where did she go?” Mac asked Greg.
“I think she went that way.” He pointed across the ice. Follow.” Greg stepped onto the frozen pond, but lost his balance and fell. Mac tried to help him up.

I waited for a while and flew back to the pond. I landed onto the pond again just as Mac helped Greg up. “You looking for me?” I asked them. The two nodded.
“You don’t have anywhere to go.” Greg taunted me. “Your family cannot bring you in again. Your sister Annabelle, she believes in you, she looks up to you, but when she sees you again after your accident, she would tell your mother that you are alive, but your mother won’t believe her. She will just be shunned by everyone because the will think that she is crazy.”
“How do you know my sister?” I stood there stunned. How did they know that I had a sister? Okay, now is no time to think or ask. I had to fight.

I ran towards the two. The guys watched me. I jumped and swung my stick at the big guy, but he used his weight and pushed me down. Once I was down, he grabbed my hair and started to cut it with his sword. I cried. Tears ran down my cheeks. “STOP!”
“We will not stop unless you say that you are Jack Frost.” Mac demanded. His voice was cold and fierce.
“I told you that I am not Jack Frost. But my friends and family call me Jack which is short for Jacquelyn. It is spelled, J.a.c.q.u.e.l.y.n. This still does not mean that I am the one that you are looking for.”
“Our boss told us that Jack was a boy and had a white hair that was short.”
“Who is your boss anyways?” I asked them. They looked at each other.
“That part is classified Jack.” I stared at them.
“Oh and if you tell me who it is, then I just might tell you if I am or am not Jack Frost.” I tried to persuade them. I gave them a smirk.
They looked at me, “Yeah, but you have talk first.”
Okay, this was not going to work. I exhaled. What am I going to do? I backed up into the middle of the pond. “If you are going to bring me to your boss, then come and get me.” Greg stepped onto the ice.
“Greg, don’t fall. Be careful.” Greg nodded and started carefully across the ice. I watched them as they started across the ice. I started to move to their left. I stopped held my staff in front of me and concentrated; pointed my staff at them. A tear ran down my cheek, but I stayed strong. My instincts were telling me to leave, but part of me wants to stay here and fight them. Okay, I will stay then and fight them. As if on cue, I swirled my staff counter clockwise and ice flew at them. I was surprised by what my staff did.

The men tried to dodge it but ended up getting hit by it. They were frozen. I walked up to them, “So tell me who your boss is or I will freeze you all the way.” I taunted them.
“We will not tell you.” Greg spat out. “There is no way that your are going to know that our boss is Father winter.”
“I would slap you if I could right now, but my hands are frozen to my body.” Mac scolded Greg.
“Who is Father Winter?” I asked them. The two did not say anything. “I asked you who Father winter is.”
“How do you not know who he is? He is the one who brings the snow and the cold winds.”
“Okay, so what if I am Jack Frost, then why does he want me?” I was curious.
“I don’t know. Why would we know? He wanted us to find and bring Jack Frost to him. Unless...”
“Unless what?” I asked Greg.
“I thought that I remember of a portrait in the bedroom or some room with a portrait with a baby, mother and him. Well, that is what I thought I saw above the chair somehow.” Greg tried to shrug, but couldn’t. I looked at them and then walked away from them. I jumped at started to fly. I had no destination in mind, but I was going to find out whoever this Father Winter is.
“Where are you going?” Mac called after me. “Aren’t you going to unfreeze us?” I ignored them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mac and he sidekick couldn’t move. Their big muscled bodies couldn’t even break the ice. A cold wind blew in. Darkness flew over their heads. The two looked up and saw their boss. The two tried to get out, but couldn’t. “Master, it was him.” Mac did not look in his master’s eyes. Neither did Greg.
“No, it was a girl. She did this. She said her name was Jacquelyn, but her friends and family call her Jack. Then she said she was going to look for you and that she did not know who you are. Please don’t be mad at us sir.” Their master touched the ice and it melted around the two.
“I am not mad, but I want you to find her.I have told you that Jack Frost was a girl.” Father winter demanded. The two stood up and quickly got onto the snow bank.
“See, I told you.” Greg told Mac.
“I want her found and brought to me. Don’t come back without her!” His voice grew angrier. The wind was fierce as he left. Both Mac and Greg shrugged and started on their journey.

About fifty years ago I was changed. My hair turned white, two men tried to bring me to their boss who was Father Winter even though, I told them that I was not jack Frost, but now after the talk with them, I found out that I am Jack Frost. I still don’t know anything about Father Winter still. Ever since then, I have been giving snow days, playing tricks on people. I never went back to where I was born and I did not even remember if I had a sibling or not. I would nip at your nose when you weren’t looking.

I flew to an open window and sat on the window sill. I stared out at a city in Russia. I leaned against the side. I looked into the room and watched what was going on. A little boy just about eleven walked to his toy chest and opened it. He grabbed a toy truck and ran down the stairs to the front. I looked down at the walk way. The boy sat down in the middle. I smiled. I then flew around and went to the school. I flew next to the window and touched it with my staff. I then flew up to the sky and looked down at the town. “Snow Day!” I called as I flew back down and flew through the streets. Snow started to drift down from the clouds. I flew up to the roof.
“Look, it is snowing!” A boy about twelve or thirteen was pointing out of the window. There was nothing on my mind until I realized that I needed to find out who this Father winter guy is. I had to find out eventually. I flew up and decided to fly to my hometown. I used the wind to help me fly faster.

-------------------------------------------------------

A man sat in a big chair. The man was about 6’8, he was very tall indeed. He faced the window as his two assistants walked in. “Did you find her yet?” The big man asked them. He swung his big chair around and glared into their eyes.
“No, not yet, well, we did. She was just in Russia and now heading to her home town I think.” The one called Geg told the big man.
“Good. NOW GO GET HER!” Both Greg and Mac scrambled out the door. The guy that called himself father winter looked at the portrait. “I am sorry Elizabeth. You would not understand. I would be there, but I could not.” He ran fingers against the names engraved on the frame. He sighed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I landed on the same pond that I fell through fifty years ago. I looked around for anyone, but there was no one there except for some voices in the distance. Just as I was about to try to listen in, I saw them standing at the top of the hill.
“Hey, give that back!!” A boy in glasses tried to get the book he was reading.
“Why? This is winter vacation. You can read it during school.” A much older boy looked at it and then threw it to the side. “Now move out of my way runt.” Pushing the younger boy aside.
I flew to get the book. I handed it to him; he took it. “Thanks.” He looked up and saw me. I smiled. “You are welcome.” I then realized that he could see me. “You can see me right?” I asked him very surprised.
“Yeah, I guess. You look like a regular person, but you are not. Are you...Jack Frost?” His eyes grew wide.
I looked at him. “Yeah, I actually used to be human.” I sighed. “Anyways, how can you see me?”
“Well, I have heard of you and I believe that you were real, but I had never expected that I would actually see you. You travel all over the world bringing snow and all. Anyways, I am Matthew, but you can call me Matt.”
“I am Jacquelyn. My friends and my whole village including my mother called me Jack and my little sister called me Jackie.” I sighed.
“So you had a sister?” Matt had a pad of paper with him. “What was her name?”
“Annabella. We called her Bella for short.”
“So, you had a sister and a mother, but what about a father?”
“He left when I was little, I actually never knew him.”
“Wow, that is soo cool, if you were human how long was it since then?” Matt asked me.
I looked at him and then at the ground. “Fifty years. If I was not like this than I would be sixty eight and my sister sixty one. Mother, I am guessing, she passed.”
Matt kept writing. “Hey runt, push me down the hill.” Matt looked at Josh, the school bully.
“I am coming.” When he turned to where I was sitting, I was gone. Sighing he stood up and went to push Josh.

An hour had passed and Matthew walked into his house. He now had some more information on who Jack Frost was. He typed what he had in his note book onto the computer. It was around eight o’clock when his mother came up to his room.
“Time for bed Matthew. I hope you are not going on about Jack Frost again.” She sighed.
“Mother, will you tell me the story of Jack Frost one more time.” He asked her. I watched from the window.
“Sure, but I want you to...oh, I see you have already put your pj’s on. Did you brush your teeth?”
“Yes mother.”
“Okay.” She sat on the bed as her son climbed in. “This was along time ago. There was a woman named Elizabeth, she was a daughter of a farmer. She lived her quiet life on a farm with her family; She had a brother and a sister. No one knows where they are, but when she was in her late twenties, she met a man. He called himself Stribog. Remember, they were scandinavian. So when Elizabeth heard about this guy was in town, she wanted to meet him. When she did meet him, they fell in love and had a baby girl. Her name was Jacquelyn. After having the baby Stribog had to leave and three years before his wife Elizabeth could announce that she was having another baby. When he left, Elizabeth had to take care of both Jacquelyn and her sister Annabella. Eleven years went by and Jacquelyn was eighteen and her sister Annabella was turning eleven on that friday. On the day of Annabella’s birthday, her sister Jacquelyn had bought her skates so they could skate, but the ice had decided to just crack. Bella’s sister saved her, but her sister could not save her...that is all for tonight.” She kissed her son on the forehead and left the room. Matt did not ask for more, but was just satisfied.
“So you were right Jack.” He looked at the window. I flew into the room.
“Of course I was.” I smiled.
“So you do not know who your dad was?”
“No, I never found out. I am going to look for him. I just do not know where to look that is all.” I sighed. “Do a lot of people know the story?”
“Yeah, I guess. I think that it started fifty years ago. When you fell through the ice.” Matt turned on the lamp light on his side table. “I was going to ask my mother for the rest of the story, but I guess you know more than that right?”

I nodded and then told him the rest of the story up till now. I handed him the letter that I saved from my sister. When he took it, I sat down on the bed.
“It was that bad right?” He asked me.
“Yeah, my sister and mother did not see me. It was like I was invisible, they just walk right through me. But the thing is that my sister looks up to me. She knows that I am alive. I told her that I would come back for her when it is time.”
“So are you going to see her sometime soon?”
“I do not know. I guess that is why I came here for. Anyways, it is getting late. I am get going.” I stood up and walked to the window; I smiled at him.
“Wait, I have school tomorrow.” I paused. “Where will we meet?”
“In the cottage in the woods. That can be our secret meeting place. When you finish school, I will be there.” With that I jumped out of the window and ran all the way to the forest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Every time my foot touched the ground, frost spread for a foot across. My heart beat so fast that it felt like I did not have one. When I arrived, the cottage was still intact which was excellent, compared to if it was not. I opened the door and looked around. Well all of the pictures are still there. I ran up the stairs to my old room. I paused at the doorway and saw someone in it. What in the world? There is no way happening! When I turned around I saw a women that looked like my sister. “Bella?” I said quietly. The women turned her head as if she had just heard me. “Annabella, it is me, your sister!”
Just on cue, the women saw me in the doorway. “Jackie, is that really you?’
“Yes.” I walked to her and gave her a hug.
“Where have you been? You scared me and mother. I told her that I saw you and then no one believed me, everyone thought that I was crazy, so they shunned me. But now mother has passed and I already have a grandchild.” As figured.
“I was looking for father. I have also heard a story about us.” I told her as we walked to the down stairs. I sat down on the couch.
“Did you? I do not think that I have heard of it. Please tell me.” Her voice was kind of scratchy.

So I told her of it and maybe thought that our father was father winter. I also told her about the kid named Matt who could see me as well and that the fact is that he is researching me. My sister Bella looked at me and then grabbed my hand with her wrinkled one.
“It is okay Jackie, I am here with you. I will help you with finding our father no matter how we do it. Just will not do such a hard snow next time, maybe bring it back. Also, I would love to go skating with you again. I know that the ice will not crack under you because you can freeze it.” She smiled. “Will you make me that promise sister?” I smiled at her. “I forgot that I am not scared anymore.”
“I promise.” Just when I said that her granddaughter stood at the second to the last stair.
“Grandma, what is going on down here?”
“I was just...I was talking to my sister Jacquelyn.” She smiled.
“You asked if she could be named after mother?” I asked my sister Annabella.
“Yep. In honor of her.”
“I do not see her.” Liza told her grandmother.
“Do you believe in Jack Frost?” My sister smiled.
“Yeah, I guess so. Why?”
“Come here and look.” Liza walked over and saw me. I saw that she paused in her tracks.
“That is your sister and my grandaunt?”
“Yeah. She is also Jack Frost, the one who nips at your nose when not looking.” I saw her smiling.
“Hi.” I held out a hand to her. “You do not have to be afraid.” She took my hand and shook it.
“It is nice to meet you. Just a quick question, are we the only one’s who are able to see her?” My grand niece asked my sister and I.
“No, there is one more.” I answered. “His name is Matt. That is all I am going to say. You will meet him tomorrow.” I took hold of my sister’s hands again. “Bella, you will be with me. I am sorry, I told you that long ago was not that time to show.”
“It is okay Jackie.” She kissed my hand.
“I wish I had a granddaughter or grandson.” I sighed as Liza sat down next to me.
“You have me.” I did not realize it, but she hugged me.
“Thanks. It is getting late right?”
“Yeah, I will go to bed. You should to grandmother.” She stood up and walked up the stairs. “It was nice meeting you.” I took my sister and helped her upstairs. I then prayed for her after she closed her eyes to rest.
“Night Bella.” I smiled and kissed her on the head. When I left her side, I went downstairs and put the fire out in the fireplace. I then walked to the pictures on the walls and the table. I smiled as I picked one up.
“I wish I was there to spend the rest of the time.” Just as I sat down on the couch the door crashed down. Two figures appeared there. I screamed as a hand went over my mouth and then a bag went over my head. “Bella! Elizabeth!!! HELP!” I then got pulled out of the house.

Just as the men were pulling me out the door, Elizabeth saw them. My sister was at the stairs already. “Jackie!” She called. “We are going to save you!” She then looked at her granddaughter, “tomorrow we are going to try to figure out who did this. Let’s get some rest and then start looking.” Her granddaughter nodded and helped her grandmother, my sister back to bed.