WillowDale | Teen Ink

WillowDale

By TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas
TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

Author's note:

This is a fantasy series that I am writing, and I'm using so many book ideas, and combining them all together!

I hope you've enjoyed it so far!

“Valerie……..

Valerie………” a silky voice called.

***

“AH!” Valerie screamed shooting up from her bed. She then breathed in and out several times. She was in shock. She put her hand up to her head and felt that her face was wet. She had been sweating in her sleep.

“Shake it off…… Just shake it off……”, Valerie muttered to herself. It was the same dream that had been happening for weeks now.

She flipped off the covers and got out of bed, rubbing her eyes from sleep. Valerie peered out the window to see that it was just the beginning of sunrise. The colors of the sky were visible by the slightest bit of sunshine in the village. Valerie headed to her bathroom and braided her thick black hair down to her waist. She slipped on her tunic and gray working pants, stained with grease and smoke marks. As Valerie brushed back strands of hair out of the way, she looked at herself in the mirror. A pale face stared back at her, with deep brown eyes, and thin lips. Her ears had many piercings in it with black pearls. Her face had many freckles and specs of dust from working at the forge. She wasn’t the prettiest, but Valerie didn’t mind. Then it hit her. The forge! She was late for work!

Valerie dashed out of her bathroom and grabbed her belt to slip on the way out. She ran down the stairs and knocked into her little sister, Paige. Her brown hair was wavy and long down her back, and she was still in her night clothes, which were pearly white, and holding a mug.

“Wha-?” Paige started.

“Sorry, I gotta go! I’m late for work!” , said Valerie and sprinted out the door. The wind hit her as she ran towards the forge, which was a few miles away from her cottage. Her braid flipped back and forth as she bolted to get to work. Mud puddles were everywhere to be seen, but Valerie just jumped over them and continued running. Cottages and village houses were just beginning to turn on their lights and open windows to invite the cool morning air into their home. Animals would be coming out of their holes, nests, and caves to greet the new day. The trees around the houses were releasing leaves from their branches, indicating the beginning of the upcoming season, autumn. When she reached the forge, she skidded to a stop at the doorway, and panted. She must have run five miles in twenty minutes straight! After catching her breath for a few minutes, Tovalor approached her.

“Ah,” he said, clasping a hand on her shoulder, “ right on time I see! Good, good. We have a busy morning, for it’s almost time to open. Come in! Come in!”

Tovalor had a habit of repeating himself from time to time, but Valerie didn’t mind at all.

“Hey Tovalor,” Valerie said.

She walked in the door and went over to her work station. It wasn’t a big space, but it wasn’t a small space either. Sometimes she would create molds, melt metals, or polish semi-finished projects. Her favorite was molding the metal into shape, by hitting it with a hammer. Once the metal got hot by hitting it, she could bend it into the correct shape. Valerie smoothed her hands over her working table as a clatter of pickaxes were put on her space.

“I need you to shine and polish these before opening. Do as much as you can. I can guarantee you won’t finish because I gave you Marcus’s also.” Tovalor said, “Once he arrives you can hand over the extras to him.”

She nodded. Polishing pickaxes, not so hard. Grabbing her wet cloth on her table, and putting the shiner on the cloth, she started to scrub some dust and dirt off the axes until they were shiny clean. She looked over at Tovalor to see him taking a pot full of liquid metal and pouring it into a mold of a sword. His face, which was covered in specs of dust from the ashes of the burning flame, was concentrated on his work. He wasn’t young, but he wasn’t old either. He was probably at the age of forty, maybe forty-five. He spends all of his time at the forge, except when mining season breaks out. The forge needs the metal, and an occasional ruby or two, for weapons and tools to sell. Valerie likes to work at the forge because it’s hard labor. For her, it’s thrilling to work and work hard to make something amazing. The best part is that she can do it with her best friend.

“Hey stranger,” said a voice behind her. She rolled her eyes.

“Hey Marcus,” Valerie replied, “you know you don’t have to call me ‘stranger’ anymore.”

Marcus came out from behind her, already wearing his working apron and tools at the ready. His blonde hair was shaggy on his head, and he was showing his crooked smile. His green eyes sparkled with mischief.

“I know,”he said ,”but it’s fun to watch you when you’re annoyed.”

Marcus chuckled, and Valerie rolled her eyes.

“Hey, look what I found today,” Marcus said, as he pulled out a gold ring with diamonds in it out of one of his many pockets.

“Isn’t she beautiful? She could make me a lot of money,” he said, admiring the ring in his hand.

“By ‘found’ don’t you mean stole?”

“Woah now,” he said, putting up a finger,” I didn’t steal this time. This fell out of someone’s satchel at the market.”

“Uh huh, yeah, that’s totally believable,” Valerie said, sarcastically.

Marcus had a tendency to steal valuables from other people, and then sell them for a higher price so he could earn money. ‘If you didn’t know Marcus’s way of stealing, you couldn’t prevent it’. That’s a comment which the villagers say to one another. Valerie knows he is struggling for money, so from time to time she would help out and work extra shifts for him at the forge. Marcus doesn’t know where she gets the money, but he always appreciates her for it.

“Oh hey, I got something for you.” Valerie said, handing him a sack of gold coins. Marcus accepted the money happily and tucked it in his apron. Then he paused.

“So, when are you going to tell me where you’re getting all of this?” he asked.

“Well, you will just have to-”

“Oi! Marcus! There’s a customer at the counter! You better hurry up your chat and get to work!” , yelled Tovalor across the forge. Then he flipped his helmet back on and hit the metal with his hammer again.

“Sorry, gotta go” Marcus said, but then raised a finger, “ But you’re going to tell me where you get this sooner or later!”

Valerie rolled her eyes. Marcus was always the sly one, and could figure out anything. She knew it wasn’t bad to tell Marcus where she got it, but then he would feel troubled that she spent all her time on it. Valerie doesn't want him to owe her back, just for him to be her friend. That's all that matters.

She began polishing the axes again, while Tovalor molded more axes, and Marcus handled the sales. She saw him sneak a gold coin or two into his pocket from time to time. When he walked passed her, she nudged him in the shoulder. 

“Ow!” he yelped.

Valerie scoffed. “That really hurt?”

“Hey, you hit hard.” Marcus said, and then looked at her. Without asking why she elbowed him, he knew why.

“Want me to stop?” he asked.

She nodded. Valerie looked over at Tovalor. He was working hard for that money, and Marcus was stealing some of it.

“Okay,” he asked, “ but only ‘cause you asked.”

She turned back to Marcus and mouthed ‘Thank You’.

He mouthed back ‘You’re Welcome’.

Tell me your thoughts!!!

The heat was really getting to Valerie. Dust and smoke flew into her eyes, and she had to blink several times to get it out. Dusk was beginning to come, and villagers around the market were heading home. Shops were turning out their lights, and closing windows and doors.

She was still working hard, and just finished molding a brand new sword for the Duke of Azov. This sword was to be carefully packaged and shipped across seas to reach Azov. It had to be perfect, the best sword Valerie had ever made. It was made from the best silver in Eslient Peaks, and was aligned with rubies at the handle. She worked on this sword all day, and put all her time into it. Valerie was so focused on letting the sword cool and picking out the knife to carve ‘The Duke of Azov’ into the blade. She rummaged through the drawers and found her favorite knife. It was only four inches tall and so thin, it couldn’t be measured, but it was a strong and steady knife. Tovalor has made it himself from metals of Azov and metals of Eslient Peaks.

Just as she finished carving the Duke’s name into the sword, Tovalor came up behind her.

“Valerie, are you done with the sword yet?” he asked in a low gruff voice.

She sighed tiredly, “No, Tovalor, but if I could just stay here for the night, I would be able to-”

“Stop, I’ve had enough!” he shouted. Then he calmed down and sighed. His eyebrows were creased and his eyes were full of protection.

“Valerie,” he said, “you can’t stay here day and night and work for Marcus.”

Valerie raised her eyebrows. 

“You knew about that?!” she asked in shock.

“Why else would you work extra hours, never take brakes, and sneak money to Marcus in the mornings from your pocket?” Tovalor took a deep breath and looked into Valerie’s eyes. This was the look; it always reminded Valerie of her grandfather, concerned and worried for her.

She sighed before Tovalor could say more, “I’m fine. It’s not like I’m getting hurt just by working more hours. Besides, you need this sword for the shipment to Azov tomorrow morning. I won’t be long, I promise.”

Tovalor was defeated, and there was nothing anybody could do to change her mind.

“Fine, as long as you promise to go home once you finish.” Tovalor said, and then handed her a bag of gold coins. “This is your pay for today and tonight. Give only some to Marcus and keep the rest. I don’t want you going home unpaid.” Valerie’s eyes widened. Then she smiled, and gave Tovalor a bear hug.

“Thank you” she said softly.

***

An hour after being at the forge, Valerie arrived at her doorstep. She peered in the windows to see if lights were lit. Some candles were placed in the kitchen, and others in the eating room. She opened the door with the key she always kept in her pocket, and shut it.

“Paige! I’m home!” , she yelled across the house.

“Finally!” Paige yelled, running down the stairs. She jumped at the final step and hugged Valerie tightly. “I was worried! But then I thought you were going to work late, and then it got past the latest time you’ve ever worked! And then I thought that you had-”

“Woad, calm down.” Valerie said, “Deep breath in, deep breath out.”

Paige did as her sister instructed her. Paige had PTSD and can be scared very easily. Valerie tried her best to help her sister in every way possible, and it works at times. The best thing to calm Paige down though, was breathing exercises. Ever since they lost their mother and father, each other was the best they had, and Valerie worked hard to support her sister. Because Paige gets scared easily, she can’t be in a place with a lot of noise. So, she stays in their quiet little cottage and works around the house if she is able to.

“You’re alright,” Valerie said and rubbed her back, “I’m home.”

Paige sniffed, and calmed down.

“Sorry,” she said, “I did it again.”

“Paige, don’t apologize.” Valerie said.

Pager sniffed again, and then wiped her nose.

“Oh, okay Valerie.” said Paige

“Hey,” Valerie said, and let go of Paige, “Want me to make you some tea?”

“Yeah, yeah that would be nice.” Paige replied.

“Just, sit down,” Valerie said as she walked towards their very small kitchen. Their home was a petite one, and very plain. The only decoration of the entire house was probably from their garden outside in their backyard. They grew strawberries (which were Paige’s favorite) and blackberries (Valerie’s favorite). Their cottage was constructed mostly from wood, but by the chimney, you can see a brick or two at the top. The door at the front was a simple brown, but it had stains on it. 

Valerie took out their kettle, and got water from their small fascut. She opened their pantry and pulled out tea bags, and placed the kettle on their small metal stove. She took out a couple matches and lit the flame on the stove. 

“The flame always looks like a bright orange, red and yellow flower.” Paige said, mesmerized by the flame burning under the kettle.

Valerie peered over and looked at the stove flame, “Yeah it kind of does.”

Valerie smiled. Then they heard the scream of the kettle. Valerie went to the kitchen and poured the hot water in two mugs, and placed the tea bags in the cups.

“I call the flower one.” Paige said, and took the mug from Valerie. She looked at it, and then traced the flower pattern with her finger. It was never a finished mug, but it was made by their mother, so Paige cherished it. They both walked up the stairs to their room. Valerie set her mug over on her bedside table and took the braid out of her hair. She ran her fingers through her thick black hair. She grabbed her night clothes and headed towards her bathroom to get changed.

“So,” Paige called from their bedroom, “why have you been working so late lately?”

“Uhm,” Valerie said as she changed, “I’ve just been really busy, I guess.” 

“Oh, ok.” Paige called again. Valerie came out of the bathroom, brushing her hair.

“What’d you do today while I was gone?” Valerie asked as she sat down next to Paige on her bed. It make a slight squeak when she sat down.

“Well I; watered the garden, cleaned the grease on the stove, washed my clothes in the bucket, and I made this.” Paige said, as she pulled out a bracelet. It was made from string and had white pearls on it.

“Oh wow!” Valerie said, tracing her fingers on the beads,“How’d you make it?”

“I found these pearls in our backyard and I bought some string from Katrina.”

“Katrina?” Valerie asked, “Who’s Katrina?”

“She’s our neighbor. I met her when I was watering the garden. She is a little bit older than you, and she has a tail!” Paige exclaimed.

“A tail?” Valerie asked, then placed her hand on Paige’s forehead, “Are you feeling alright?”

Paige brushed Valerie’s hand away.

“I’m fine, but Katrina was there! She also had red hair, like roses! It was beautiful.” 

Valerie placed her brush down and placed her hand on her forehead again.

“You do feel warm.” She said, “I think you need to go to bed. Then you can tell me all about Katrina tomorrow, sounds good?”

Paige groaned, but nodded her head, “Okay…”

She laid down on her bed, and pulled up her covers. Valerie smiled, and kissed Paige on the forehead.

“Goodnight,” Valerie said.

“Goodnight,” Paige replied.

Valerie blew out the candle on the bedside table, picked up her hairbrush, and went to the other side of the room. She set her brush on her bedside table, and sat on her bed. Valerie layed down and stared at the ceiling. It was the end of the day. She smiled.

Time to get some rest, she thought to herself. Valerie blew out her candle on the bedside table, and all was dark.

Tell me your thoughts!

Something was wrong. Nothing was right. She could feel it, but not enough to know what. 

“Sir,” she said, speaking to a tall figure, “we have to set up the extra defense.”

The tall figure nodded, and waved his hand, “Do what you must.”

It was all typical, and it was that time of year. They were coming soon, but it was all routine. This is no panicking situation, all was normal. But from time to time, it still gave you a shiver to know what would happen if anything went wrong.

“Valerie…” she said, “Valerie, who are you?”

She put a hand up to her mouth. Did she really just say that? Was that someone else? She felt nauseous suddenly, and dizzy. She shook her head a couple of times, as the feeling faded away.

***

Valerie sat up straight in her bed. She was panting and sweating. It happened again! The same dream! But it continued… What did it mean? Extra defense?

Valerie placed a hand on her head and felt nauseous. But so did she…

But who was she? Valerie flipped off the covers and went to her bathroom to get ready. She braided her hair, as usual, in a thick black braid. 

The dream was so intense. Everything felt important, but it continued…

The dream keeps happening, over and over again. Valerie’s thoughts raced across her mind as she finished getting ready. She slipped on her belt to complete. She went down the stairs and out the back door. Valerie does her best thinking when she is outside. 

She ran up to her favorite tree, the midnight oak. Its bark was so dark, it almost looked black. Valerie put one foot in a crease of the tree, and boosted herself up to grab a branch. She pulled herself up and did the same thing  to get to the middle of the tree. The air was cleaner up there. The leaves around her rustled, and the breeze blew gently. Valerie scooted herself onto the branch and sat down, dangling her legs over the edge. 

The sun was just beginning to rise as you could see the glimmer of light peeking out from the bottoms of trees. The village looked normal, quiet and peaceful, as it always was. The pitter patter of raindrops fell from the sky and dropped to the ground. Valerie sighed. It was hard to live in a world with this much beauty. She stood up slowly, and reached for the branch above her. Then she heard a snap. She looked at the branch she was standing on. There was no crack in it though. She glanced above her and saw a shadowy figure on the top of the midnight oak. The figure jumped up, and grabbed the branch above them, right as the lower branch broke, and fell to the ground. 

“Woah!” Valerie said, as she dodged the branch quickly, and almost lost her balance. Valerie glanced up again to see the silhouette hanging on to the branch above them, losing their grip. An alert went off in her brain; this wasn’t going to end well.

“Hold on up there!” she shouted to the figure, “I’m coming to help!”

Without thinking, Valerie jumped up and heaved herself onto the next branch, to the next, and to the next. She was so close… and then heard a snap. The figure gasped above Valerie. Then they muttered, “No no no no, please don’t break.” Valerie reached up and pulled herself faster and faster towards the figure. She was close enough now to catch them. She reached out, but then the branch broke.

“Ah!” they yelped, but Valerie caught hold of their jacket, and yanked them up onto the branch she was on. 

They both breathed a sigh of relief, and walked closer to the trunk so the branch wouldn’t break under their weight.

“Are you okay?” Valerie asked, as she gasped for air.

“Y-Yeah, I think so.” they said. Then the figure pulled their hood off their head. Valerie gasped. The person had bright yellow eyes, with white specks in the iris. Their skin was tan and dark. But, ...they had red hair! 

“Like roses…” Valerie muttered.

“Excuse me?” they asked.

“Wait, what’s your name?” Valerie asked, tempting to know if it was what she thought it was. No, it was all just nonsense, but just in case it was...

“Uhm, Katrina.”

“Katrina?!” Valerie exclaimed, “You’re Katrina!” Valerie muttered to herself many things, and then thought. Something Paige said about a tail…

“I know this sounds crazy, but do you have a tail?” she asked.

Katrina’s eyes widened. She paused for a moment, turned around, and pulled off her jacket to reveal a black tail with scales, and what looked like a spade at the end of it. But that wasn’t it. She had wings too! They had scales all over, and they were also pitch black. The complete set was so striking, it made Valerie’s eyes go wide in awe.

“How’d you know?” Katrina asked, surprised of what the humanfolk understood. They weren’t supposed to know about wings and tails on Tanwens, they were very secretive. 

“My..uh My sister bought some string from you, yesturday.” Valerie stammered, unbelieving what she was witnessing. 

“Oh, Paige? She’s sweet. It was the least I could do for her to give me some food for supper.” Katrina said, then eyed her, closely. 

“You’re Valerie?”Katrina asked confirmingly.

Valerie nodded slowly. 

“Look, it’s nice being able to chat, but I’m going to head down before this branch breaks too, otherwise…” Valerie said, then whistled and made an exaggerated crash sound.

Katrina snickered.

“Alright. Want to grab on?” she said, and expanded her wings. They were immense in size! But Valerie wasn’t so sure about trusting this ‘Katrina’.  After all, she had only just met her.

“Uhm, no thank you. I’ll just climb down.” Valerie replied, not meaning to be rude, but not naive enough to trust a stranger. 

“Suit yourself.” Katrina said, smirking. She walked towards the end of the branch, holding her jacket, and jumped. Valerie rushed to the end of the limb and peered over the edge. Katrina was gliding down to the ground, flapping her wings from time to time. 

“You don’t need wings…” Valerie said to herself, “Climbing is just fine.” She walked over towards the trunk of the midnight oak, and clutched to the branch she was standing on. Breathing heavily, she swung from the branch and landed on the next below. Then she did it again, in record time. It was a thrill and a rush to swing from branch to branch, limb to limb. 

Katrina had finally reached the ground and landed softly.

“Are you still up there?” she called up to the tree.

“Nope,” Valerie replied. Katrina swooped around to see Valerie leaning on the trunk,  at the base of the tree, with her arms folded.

“But you were a little late.” Valerie said, and then smirked. They both laughed, then sighed. 

“So I guess, I ought to be going right about now.” Katrina said, “Tell Paige I said ‘hi’, alright?”

“Uhm, yeah sure I will.” Valerie murmured. She wanted to know more about ‘Katrina, but it seemed Valerie would have to go at that moment. Many waves of feelings rushed over Valerie; confusion; disbelief; amazement, all in one.

“I’m sorry but I’m going to have to leave now.” Valerie said, “Maybe I’ll see you again sometime.”

Katrina nodded, “That would be nice.” Katrina faced the opposite direction, spread out her wings, and boosted off the ground into the sky. Valerie gasped. Katrina had so much power and force in her wings! 

“Enough to worry about her…” Valerie muttered to herself, “Time for work.”

Good???

As Valerie walked through the woods, the leaves crunched beneath her feet, and the trees swayed in the wind. A peaceful feeling was returned to the forest after the midnight tree fiasco, but she was still thinking about Katrina. The memory was stuck in her head now, and nothing could rip it out. 

Before Valerie could realize it, she walked right into a wall.

“Oof!” she mumbled, and fell backwards. Looking upright, the wall was jagged and rough looking.

It looked exactly like the forge’s walls. She had arrived. Valerie turned the corner, rubbing her forehead and feeling a warm trickling liquid. A pain stabbed in her forehead. She took her hand off of her face and saw blood. Must’ve hit the wall hard, she thought. She placed her hand back on her head, and walked in the forge’s door. 

“Valerie. Valerie. Good Morning. Good Morning.” Tovalor said, and walked toward her. Then he saw the blood on her hand, and a ball dropped in the pit of his stomach.

“What happened? What happened?” he asked frantically. 

“Nothing,I’m fine. I just ran into the wall outside.” Valerie said, and went to a nearby faucet.

“Do you have a spare cloth by any chance?” she asked.

“Of course, of course.” Tovalor said, and rummaged through a cabinet, to return with a rag to wipe her forehead. He motioned for her to sit while he helped her. Tovalor turned the knob on the rusty faucet and got the cloth wet, and dabbed her forehead where she was damaged. Valerie inhaled sharply.

“Sorry, sorry.” he said, “This is what you get for being clumsy this morning.” 

That made her chuckle.

“All clean, all clean.” He declared, and washed out the cloth.

“Thank you, Tovalor.” Valerie said, and tried to feel where she got hurt, but he swiped her hand away.

“Do not touch! We have to prevent infection.” Tovalor said strictly. He took out a spare compression bandage, and wrapped her head. 

“Wash the wound after every day, and stay away from anything that could infect the wound. Got it?” He instructed.

Valerie nodded.

“Good, good. You came in early enough that you are not late. Good for you. Now I need you to package the sword for the Duke of Azov today. Make sure to put in plenty of straw to support the sword. I expect it to be perfect for the shipment. The boats are coming at noon.” Tovalor said. Valerie nodded, and needed no further explanation. This had to be a perfect shipment for a great cause. Making something for the Duke of Azov was a very big deal. That means that it was recommended for the Duke of Azov, and means that Tovalor has done great work. To the shop, it has been very chaotic, since everyone wants something from Tovalor. In return, the prices have gone up, and Tovalor is slowly becoming rich. 

‘If you have something from Tovalor, you are considered wealthy!’ , some villagers say. Some others say, ‘It’s just a great piece of fine craftsmanship! What more could you want?’

Tovalor has been enjoying this wealth he has been gaining, but he has not been liking the busyness. Every now and then, someone will come in, desperate to work for him just to brag about it, but Tovalor has the courage to say no. He will not allow people to work for him, but not truly work. 

Valerie thought about this as she  traveled over to her desk and brushed the surface with her hands to get the grime off of it before working. She sat down on her squeaky metal stool, and turned to look at the wooden box in front of her. It was big to hold just a sword, but maybe it would hold other valuables too.

Valerie took out the straw from underneath her worktable, and started to fill the box to cushion it. The snapping and crackling of the fire could be heard from the next room over, and banging on a hammer on metal echoed throughout the forge. This was what it sounded like in the work space. Specks of dust and ash flew from the fireplace and through the building. But even though the forge was hot and warm, a cold hand was laid on her shoulder. It sent a cold wave throughout her body, and a shiver. 

“Hey, Valerie,” Marcus said.

“Hey Marcus,” Valerie replied, and laid the sword in the straw-filled box carefully. 

“Is that for noon’s shipment?” Marcus asked.

“Yep, I just have to lay on the lid. Would you mind helping me?” Valerie asked.

“Always!” Marcus said cheerfully and they both walked to the storage room to grab the heavy lid to their shipment. Valerie grabbed one side, Marcus grabbed the other, and they heaved the lid back to Valerie’s workstation. 

“Oof!” Marcus groaned as they placed the lid on the box.

“Complete!” Valerie said, “I’ll go get the nails and hammer.”

Marcus stopped her before she could go any further. Then pointed to her workbench.

They both snickered. The nails and hammer were already on the table. 

Marcus held the nails while Valerie hammered them in. 

Bam! Bam! Bam, went the nails into the wood. Through the hammering and banging sounds, no one could hear the customer at the table.

“Hello?” called a rough voice from the counter. 

Valerie looked up just as she  finished the box for noon’s shipment. 

Standing there was an old man, Ailred. 

“Hey Ailred!” Marcus answered and walked towards the desk, “How may I help you, my fine sir?”

Ailred grinned. Marcus’s attitude and jokes always made people crack a smile.

“Hi Marcus, can I get a new axe? My old one broke at the bit and the handle snapped.”

“Oh geez! What broke it?” Marcus asked, trying to be friendly.

“My son, Darik. He threw it quite hard and it shattered into a couple pieces.”

“Darik at it again?”

“Yeah,” Ailred sighed, “ He’s a crazy child.” They both laughed.

“So, new axe? What type of metal? Steel, Iron or Aluminum?”

“Iron, please.” Ailred said and plopped a bag of gold coins on the front desk. 

Marcus took a look at the list of orders.“Alright, that should be ready by tomorrow afternoon.” Marcus replied and took the bag of gold gladly. 

“Tell Tovalor I said ‘Hello’” Ailred said, waved, and left the shop.

“I sure will. Goodbye!” Marcus said and waved back.

Valerie smiled when Marcus walked back.

“How’s Ailred doing?”

“He’s doing great. Darik is at it again though, and threw Ailred’s axe,” Marcus said and made a swinging motion, “probably into a wall of sorts.” Then Marcus shrugged, “I don’t know what had happened exactly.”

“Do you think they were doing target practice and Darik threw it too hard?” Valerie asked. Ailred was teaching his son to figure out how to throw an axe at wood. Valerie made the mistake of walking in between their target practice and almost got hit, but leap/rolled just in time. She remembered the woosh sound of the axe flying past her head and into the board behind her. Valerie shivered, it was an almost-horrible-injury experience, and it made her heart jump.

“No,” Marcus replied, “it broke in a couple places and wood would never break an axe like that. So, I need the handle size-seven with the head size-six. Make sure it’s done by tomorrow at noon.”

Valerie nodded. Looks like Ailred was getting an upgraded axe. Before Valerie could pick up her gloves to melt the iron into the size-six head of the axe, another voice came from the front desk.

“Excuse me, but is Tovalor present?” a figure said with a deep voice.

Marcus held up a finger to Valerie and said, “Just one sec, I'll be back.”

Valerie nodded.

“How may I help-”

“I need to see Tovalor,  I just said! Now, can you do your job or not?”They said.

Valerie was stunned a customer was talking to Marcus like that! She peered over to see none other than the general commander of the armed forces of WillowDale.

I really hope you liked it! that's all I have for now! Bye!

Marcus widened his eyes and muttered beneath his breath before saying, “Commander! Yes, I will have Tovalor come out right away.” He mouthed to Valerie, ‘Go Get Tovalor’ frantically. Valerie nodded again and went into the next room over. Why was the General Commander here, she thought. Was it a serious situation?

The room was the melting area of the forge, and was always hot and warm. The glow of the fire could be seen from all directions of the room. But the shadow of Tovalor was hard to miss. He stood out in the middle of the room, like a mountain in a plain, polishing a new picaxe.

Valerie was supposed to just tell Tovalor that the Commander was here to see him, but curiosity burned at her like an itch you can never reach. She cleared her throat, “Tovalor, the General Commander  has come to see you, and he’s waiting in the front room. Do you know why?”

Tovalor’s head rose from the picaxe to Valerie’s eyes. His expression was calm and settled as if the Commander visiting was a normal, everyday thing.

“That is none of your concern, Valerie. None of your concern.” He said, and managed to work his way to the door to see the Commander. Agitation rose up in her.

“What do you mean, ‘none of your concern’? It is all of my concern, I work with you and I need to know if something is wrong!” Valerie demanded.

“You are quite stubborn. Quite stubborn.” Tovalor repeated, “He is here for mining season. It is time for Marcus and I to go.”

Valerie’s expression softened and was replaced by concern. But mining season was not for another month, she thought. But, “Marcus is going?” Valerie asked.

Tovalor turned to face Valerie, “Yes, we are both leaving for mining season. The Commander is going to escort us and more fellow miners if they wish to come along. Pack my bag with five of the steel and iron picaxes. Make sure to put matches in it as well.”

Valerie’s hope deflated. It was the worst time of the year, and this time, Marcus would be leaving as well. She blinked the ash out of her eyes and walked to the storage closet to grab what Tovalor and Marcus needed. 

“Well,” Valerie muttered under her breath, “I guess Marcus is old enough to go now.”

The winter season will be lonely without Marcus in WillowDale to work with and be around. What if something happens on the trip though? Will Tovalor and Marcus be okay? 

As she finished packing the bag, she walked into the room where Marcus, Tovalor, and the Commander were waiting. 

She plopped down the bag of supplies for them and walked to the next room, but lingered enough to hear what was being said.

“So,” Marcus said, “We’re leaving right now?” Valerie froze. Now?! 

“Yes, we are leaving as soon as possible.” the Commander said, “So you better pack your things. Then we are going to travel by foot and some horseback on the way.”

Valerie started fidgeting with her fingers, something she does when she gets nervous.

“Okay,” Marcus said, “I won’t be too long.”

The thumping of footsteps was coming closer to Valerie as she leaned up against the wall. They were leaving her for the winter, and wouldn’t be back until mid January. They would be gone for a month and a half, without her. She would have to find another job to do in the meantime. 

Knock Knock. Valerie peered over to the doorframe and saw Marcus standing there with his bag slung over his shoulder. 

“Hey,” he said. Marcus was dressed in a common miner’s uniform, all ready to go, “So for mining this year we have to-”

“Go early, I know.” Valerie interrupted. 

Marcus huffed, “Yes, but I have to take this. You know I need the money. ”

Valerie sighed heavily, “Yeah, you do.”

“And I appreciate that you give me money, but don’t work yourself to death .”

As Valerie was about to argue back, she realized what Marcus had said. She looked over to Marcus and saw something in his bright green eyes. Did he know? Somehow they both thought the same thing.

“Tovalor told me.” Marcus finally said, “and I’m glad he did because for one, you shouldn’t be keeping secrets from me and two, don’t spend your time worrying about me.”

Valerie groaned and put her hand to cover her blushing face. Of course it was Tovalor who would tell. 

Instead of Marcus trying to reason with Valerie, he just came closer and wrapped his arm around her, embracing her in a tight hug goodbye. 

“Now,” he whispered in her ear, “I have to go.”

Valerie’s voice choked up and a lump formed in her throat. Instead of her regular voice, all that came out was a whimper, “Please, stay.”

All that Valerie could think about was Marcus, and having him leave.  It was all happening so fast that her head had a hard time catching up. 

“You don’t have to go.” Valerie managed to choke out, “You can stay here with me and we can work somewhere else for the winter. We could work at Marabelle’s or even start something of our own.”

Marcus let go of Valerie, “I-”

“Marcus!!!” the Commander yelled from the front of the store, “We’re leaving!!!”

As much as Valerie wanted him to stay, he had to leave. She wished he would just stay in WillowDale with her so she wouldn’t be so alone throughout the winter. Valerie took her hand off of her face and pushed him away.

“Go,” she said and sniffed, “they need you. I’ll be here when you come back.”

Marcus nodded and looked down at his feet, “Goodbye.”

***

Before she knew it, Marcus was gone, and it was already the next day. The rain had turned into light snow, and the humidity had turned into a cold shiver. The freezing season was approaching, and Valerie was stuck in her own thoughts to notice. 

“Valerie?” Paige asked for the sixth time.

“Huh?” Valerie said as she snapped out of her trance.

“You’ve been in your bed the whole day yesterday, and now you won’t get up.” Paige explained motioning towards Valerie.

Valerie then realized that she was curled up in a ball and was laying on her side. She groaned. She had been in bed for a whole day! 

“Did Tovalor leave yesterday?” Paige asked, trying to get Valerie to speak and get her awake. Valerie nodded without moving from her position.

“But you’ve never been this sad about him leaving before. . .” Paige concluded trying to piece the problem together in her mind.

Valerie shifted to her other side so she would be able to face Paige. Paige was in her daily clothes and her dark brown hair flowing down her back. Her face was wrinkled as if she was trying to figure something out, that Valerie didn’t want her to know. Paige poked Valerie.

“Cmon, you know you can tell me anything.” Paige pestered.

“They left early this year,” Valerie sniffed and sighed, “and Marcus went with them too.”

Paige’s wrinkled face softened as her eyes followed Valerie’s to the window to view the mountains. Instead of her telling Valerie what a baby she was worrying about Marcus on the mining trip, like Valerie expected her to, Paige just hugged her comfortingly. 

A warm tingly feeling was coming to Valerie’s skin as she felt the embrace of her younger sister. 

“I know you’re going to be lonely,” Paige started, “but we can find  a fun job for you to do and new friends to be with.

Valerie tried to pay attention to what Paige was saying, but her mind started to trail off into the distance unknown. Instead, Valerie just closed her eyes and thought for a long while. 

“Do you want to talk about it?” Paige pestered. 

Valerie shook her head ‘no’, but Paige wouldn’t leave. They stayed together for a little while, until Valerie sat up. Paige flinched at the sudden movement of her older sister.

“Sorry,” Valerie finally seemed to mumble. She groaned and wiped away the sleep from her eyes.

“Okay,” Valerie said and sighed, but then something popped into her head. Her eyes widened and she put her head in her hands. 

“What is it?” Paige asked eagerly.

“What am I doing . . .” Valerie seemed to mumble. Her eyes darted around the room as fast as her thoughts raced across her mind. 

“No, that wouldn’t work. . .” Valerie mumbled again and started to whisper to herself.

“Valerie, what is it?” Paige said a little louder hoping to snap Valerie out of her thoughts, but her sister kept on ignoring her.

“That’s it . . .” Valerie said, “That’s it!”

“What’s it?!” Paige said louder now to match Valere’s excitement level. 

Valerie thought some more and then turned to Paige.

“We’re going to follow them.”