Bruised, Hurt, Scarred | Teen Ink

Bruised, Hurt, Scarred

April 13, 2021
By MsAdd23, Iron Mountain, Michigan
More by this author
MsAdd23, Iron Mountain, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. - Dolly Parton


Finley’s POV 

I was running, but I didn’t have a clue where. It was dark, but somehow I could see. There were emotions I couldn’t fathom coursing through my veins at a rapid speed. My blood was boiling with anger, confusion, hatred, and betrayal. 

My body was severely cut and bruised because of the experience I had just gone through. No one should ever have to go through that ever. Not even the most hated person in the universe. 

I wasn’t thinking about running, my legs ran for me. My mind was caught up in the jumbled mess that had once been innocent, clean, and unafraid. Now it was ruined by that horrid person, not even. I was pretty sure that he was a spawn of the devil himself. No person imaginable in my mind would want to do the things that he did to me.

My nostrils were burning with the cold and putrid air that surrounded me and the city that was once beautiful. My feet were bare, but that didn’t matter, all I needed to do was to escape from this event in my life that I wished was a nightmare.

I kept running for what I believed to be at least 10 minutes. After that, I fell to the ground, incapable of going any farther. My hip was black and blue, there was no tan skin that was once there before. 

I examined my feet. They were cut and scraped so that there was not a space of skin that was left clean. There was blood covering me, some of it not my own. 

I looked at my hands. They were not the pretty and delicate hands that were once there. They were replaced by dirt and blood-covered callouses. There was not one millimeter of my skin that was not blistered. 

I felt my hair. It was not the brown locks that were once there. The hair that now covered my body was black, red, and brown. I didn’t even want to think of the people that once lived, their blood now coated my body. 

My legs were the bloodiest of all. I didn’t look at them, seeing as how I knew I would faint once I saw my flesh not in the place it should be.

I gripped the brick wall of the building that hid me in this dark and lonely alley. I attempted to stand, but my legs gave up and I fell to the hard, rock pavement. 

I let out an agonizing yell, quickly covering my mouth. I had forgotten how to cry months ago, so no salty water fell from my eyes. My throat was raw, completely unusable unless something hurt so much that my body resorted to yelling. I covered my screams and yells. I gave up yelling and screaming the names that once were my family and friends. I gave up asking and pleading. I was just mass in this cruel universe I once had hope for. 

The realization hit me like a train hits at full speed. What if I gave up completely? What if I screamed everything in my mind and I just let him come to me. What if I let him take me, do the things that he has done in the past year again? What if I did it and it made me smile? Would he be angered if the pain was comforting? Would he kill me and get it over with if he knew that pain was now my only friend in this universe? I didn’t know the answers to any of these questions. All I knew was that I needed to end this. Right now.

My next actions were out of pure wanting. I wanted this to end so quickly. The amount of pain and confusion that I was going through was indescribable. 

I stumbled up using the cold brick wall to help my breaking limbs from not falling off and back down to the ground. By now the blood on me was almost all of mine, still the brown and red blood of the others stuck to me like these bad memories that lingered in my head and will forever. 

I forced my head up so that I was staring at the burnt-out street light that the alley ended with. With blood pouring out of my nose and mouth, I continued to somehow let go of the wall and start to trip over to the end of the dark alley. 

It seemed like years of torturous pain when I finally reached the end of the only cover I had. 

He was near.  I had gotten used to his feel and his presence. It made itself so known that I could sense him now 10 miles away. 

I stepped out of the darkness that held me safe until now. I limped to the middle of the street and stood there looking ahead. I saw red. 

My dizziness overtaking me, I fell to the ground. I wasn’t ready to give up now though, no. Not ever. Not until my last breath. I would never stop trying to find him and do the things that he did to me. I would make him suffer while I tell him that this is the pain that I survived through. I would make him pay for the things he did to me. I would teach him betrayal, pain, and anger. For real this time.

With all the anger inside of me, I got up off the ground and I stood where I had been before. I wiped the blood from my eyes and forehead fiercely. I stood there and looked at the headlights that stopped at the end of the street.

He gets out of the car. There he is. His stupid and pathetic blonde and brown hair. He pulls something from his pocket. Jet black, shiny. I know this is what I want. Does he? We will have to find out.

He walks over to my weak body that is about to break at any moment in time. He stops before me and looks me in the eye, the blood still draining from my figure. I don’t blink. And neither does he.

“I thought that you would escape me. Here you are! Thank God that I found you. I still have so many things that I planned to do with you! You left before the fun was finished,” he said calmly.

I didn’t have a chance to speak or make a sound. He pressed the gun to my stomach, his finger so close to the trigger. 

I reached down in my pocket. The solid object in my hand, I sociopathically pressed in the password that took so many months to figure out. 

“I know you have something of mine. I want it back.”

I know what I was doing on the device, not even glancing at it. I dialed the number. I did it. One more thing to do that would leave me to die happy. 

I took my hand and brought it up to his face. He was surprised by my actions, but continued his glare at my eyes, as I did the same. 

The phone in my back pocket finally let out sounds.

“911, what is your emergency?”

At that second, it was a race against time and my body. I pulled my hand down from his face in a quick movement and as soon as I did, pulled my knee up and in between his legs in a swift movement. 

He buckled down on the ground and yelled, trying to grab my ankles to pull me down with him, but I was too fast. I ran. I ran and I ran. As fast as I had ever run in my entire life. I didn’t know how my body was doing this. I should be dead by now, but no. My body was running away from the person that I have feared for a year or more. 

I pulled the phone from my pocket while I was running and I put it against my ear.

“My name is Finley Roberts and I have been missing for what I think is a year. I have my capturer’s phone and I am running away from him right now,” I spoke to the woman quickly and rushed, but I can’t do any better. I am literally running for my life.

“Alright, miss. Do you know your location?”

She spoke so calmly like getting a call from a year-long missing person is something she did every day. Well, maybe she did.

“No, I don’t know my exact location but I will find the next street sign.”

“Very good miss. Just stay on the phone and when you get the street sign tell me and I’ll send the S.W.A.T team over. You are one of the most popular missing people in the whole country,” she stated. Like that information is any good right now!

I came up to a sign on a road once I ran a couple of blocks down and over, looking over my shoulder to make sure that he wasn’t there. He wasn’t, luckily.

“The closest to where I am is at 72 Queen Ave,” I say, now stopped running.

“Ok just stay on the phone until the cars arrive, then you can go with them. Just stay with me ok?”

“Ok,” I responded, hesitantly.

What I didn’t see, what the black sports car pull up behind me. Hands-on my waist. The phone was thrown to the ground and stepped on. 

The familiar friend named fear came to me then, realizing that this is my last time here. The cold barrel stuck to my head. The loud banging noise came then, but no pain. Only pleasure. Everything was black from there.


~


I awoke, shooting up from my bed, drenched in sweat. I screamed as loud as I could.

Finley’s POV

I didn’t try to, I just did it. Every night when I woke up from horrible flashback nightmares, I jumped out of my bed and screamed. I woke up my whole house, heck, probably the whole neighborhood. 

Every single night, I would scream, my mother would come into my room to comfort me. It became a habit in the house, somebody needed to be with me when I woke up from these dreams. If somebody wasn’t there, my mind would take over my body and I would come falling, meaning I would lose my sense of reality and I would most likely commit suicide without meaning to. 

My mom came rushing into the room like she always did, and she embraced me. I felt comfortable every time that she did this. I breathed in her sweet scent, reassuring me that I was at home, that I was safe.

“I’m okay now,” I told her quickly after. She nodded slowly and got up to go back into her room. Mom has been different ever since I got back home. I figured that she feels regret and vengefulness. She covers it with sadness, though. 

I usually would fall back asleep in hopes that I could get some resting time, but it usually ends up with another nightmare, exactly like the last.

I didn’t want to fall back to sleep this time. I felt that feeling again. Not a good one. I felt the presence of something outside, hopefully.

I got up out of my bed and put on some clothes, considering that I was in my undergarments. I put on ripped skinny jeans and my Rolling Stones t-shirt. I brushed out my brown curly hair and I put it into a high bun on the top of my head. I grabbed sunglasses, even though it was completely black outside. 

I look at the glowing clock on my bedside table. It says 2:05 AM. It isn’t that late or early. I could come back at around 4:00 AM and still not get caught sneaking out.

I wasn’t supposed to be going anywhere, seeing as though I was still healing from my wounds that took over my body exactly 63 days ago. Yes, my body was still healing from the excruciating pain that I was put through. I still had a slight limp. 

63 days. 63 since I had been back to my house and turned back to what would now be my normal. I still hadn’t fallen into that schedule though, waking up screaming, going to Noah’s house, and doing my school work. It was pointless, going to school 

I shook my mind from the topic and I quietly opened my door. I walked into the dark hallway that led to my other siblings and my mother’s bedroom. 

I dared to open my mom’s door and looked in. She was sound asleep. I could tell that she had been under pressure and stress a lot since I was missing. She was heartbroken that she had lost her oldest child. She thought that she had failed as a mother. She never said it, but I could see through most people. 

I saw through my capturer. He was in great pain. He went through loss, dread, guilt, and grief. He was in as much pain emotionally as I was physically and emotionally. Even though I hated him, wanted him to pay for what he did to me and many others, somehow I had a gut feeling to have sympathy for him and his pain. The thing was, I never knew his name. I never heard his name or any others that had tortured me for that matter. 

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard my mom shuffle in her bed. I quickly closed the door quietly as possible. I then went to my sibling’s rooms, which were right across the hallway. 

I first looked in my sister’s bedroom, she was sound asleep. My brother was asleep in his room too. They had been put through a lot too. My sister’s grades went down, and so did my brother’s want to participate. My sister was in grade seven, my brother was in grade four. They have gotten better since I have been home, but they still have problems. I try to help them understand that I am okay now, but when they saw me in the hospital, covered in blood, cuts, and bruises, they have never looked at me the same. 

I shut the door on all of the bedrooms softly and walked down the stairs of my home. I went to the kitchen first, collecting a water bottle and sticking it in a bag that I took everywhere with me. It had my essentials. A switchblade, water, sustaining food, a portable charger, other things that I never share with anyone, and most importantly, three extra pairs of sunglasses and baseball caps. 

My identity is something that I am trying to keep to myself. I carry so much with me at all times now, I am so apprehensive. My personality is not sweet, nice, and soft. It is now hard, cold, and angered most of the time. I don’t show that side of me when I am around my family or close friends. 

“Finley, do you need these?” I whispered to myself, shuffling through my bag once more. 

I decided to take the food, baseball caps, a portable charger, and sunglasses out. I still wanted to carry my switchblade and my water. 

I walked out the door, making sure to lock it behind me. I would jump into my window later.

I walked along with my lawn until I got to my road. I needed to be somewhere, I felt it. Someone had been watching me ever since I woke up from my recurring nightmare. Someone listened to me scream and watched me take the things from my bag. They saw me walk out of my house and lock the door behind me. 

I kept walking anyway. I knew that they saw me looking around. 

I decided to walk to a restaurant that I went to often. It was a bar and grill. The people who worked there knew me well, so I went there whenever I felt uncomfortable. It was nice to be around cold, hard people like yourself once in a while. I felt safe to be around that crowd.

I walked on the road for some time until I pulled my earbuds from my pocket and turned on Twenty One Pilots. I needed music more than ever right now. Even if it wasn’t exactly calming music, it put me at ease.

I came up to the familiar road and turned to the back entrance of the restaurant. The music and atmosphere filled me with happiness, which I hadn’t felt in a long time. 

I walked over to the bar counter and as soon as I did, saw a familiar face. It was Noah. 

He had been my best friend after I stepped into the restaurant for the first time. He had supported me and helped me through high school, so did I for him. I was pretty close to him, so it also devastated him when I went missing. Noah wasn’t one to show emotions other than enjoyment to others. After I went missing, all he showed was panic and worry. Now that I am back, he seems to stick by me all of the time like some bodyguard. Not that I’m complaining, Noah is good company. 

“Well, funny seeing you here at this hour,” Noah sarcastically said once he saw me sit on a barstool.

“I had to get out of that place. My room was driving me insane. And that’s saying something. I am emotionally attached to my room.”

“You spend 99 percent of your time in your room when I am over, and that’s a lot. I think I know that you have an emotional problem with your room,” he says with a laugh.

Ah, his laugh was always contagious. If anyone in the world needed a good laugh, you would surely need to find Noah 

“How are you feeling?” Noah asked.

“Well, I just woke up from a nightmare of the most horrid period of my life, so I guess you could say I’m doing okay!” I spoke quickly and sarcastically.

Noah responded, “Cool it. I was being serious. I didn’t need you to lash out at me like that.”

I sighed heavily, knowing that I was just used to turning to my cold side when someone brought up that stupid and useless question. They knew I wasn’t fine. They knew that I probably will never be just fine. 

“I’m sorry, ok? I just am really sensitive about that subject, and you know that,” I told him honestly, feeling dumb as I did so.

“It’s fine to talk to me, alright? I’ll always be here to talk if you need it,” he responded.

I didn’t want to say anything after that, I just needed someone to be there with me, to hold me and tell me that everything was going to be okay.

“Why don’t we go to my place? I was gonna leave anyway before you came,” he inquired.

“Sure, that would be nice.”

Noah paid for the food that he was eating, and made sure to thank the bartender before he left. 

We walked out of the doors of the restaurant, me once again feeling like I was being watched intently. Noah reassured me that I was safe with him by putting his arm over my shoulder, and pulling me closer to him as we walked down the same sidewalk that I took to get here.

Noah’s house wasn’t too far away from mine, so we would be walking in uncomfortable silence the same amount of time that I took to get here myself. 

We walk together, shoulder to shoulder to Noah’s house. He took his key out of his pocket and put it in the locks. There were a total of 5 locks on his door. 

His childhood house was broken into by a robber, who also killed his parents the same night he broke in. He was just as messed up as I was.

I didn’t rely on anyone but myself, occasionally Noah. I tried to make that a false statement many times before, but I can’t trust the people around me as much as I trust myself, although I still don’t trust myself entirely just yet.

I didn’t realize that I was standing in the doorway, drifting off to space in my thoughts and memories until Noah cleared his throat and motioned for me to enter the door.

“You know that you should probably be getting inside, it’s way warmer in here than it is out there.” His face was smug and he was wearing a cheeky smile.

I was quick to roll my eyes and stumble into the door.

“Wow, don’t do that thing with your eyes anymore! They could get stuck up there!” He made yet another sarcastic response to my actions as I walked in and closed the door behind me.

“I’m so sorry! Did I just roll my eyes out loud?” I ask, putting my hands to my cheeks and making a shocked expression.

In sync, we both start laughing hysterically. Our humor always took the best out of situations, whether it be bad or good. 

I walked into his expensive house, one that I will always admire, and sat down on the plush couch. Noah sat beside me. 

He tossed a soft blanket over both of our laps, and he turned on a movie. 

The silence was all we needed, engaged in the delicate sounds coming from the TV in front of us, playing a rom-com, one of my favorites. 

I suddenly felt the distance between me and Noah, only we were inches apart. I felt the need to be closer to his protection. Even though I was inside, I felt a presence. 

His presence. I thought to myself, pondering the actions I should take, what should come out of my mouth. 

Instead of saying anything at all, I slowly moved my body closer to Noah’s. He didn’t react, so I put my head on his shoulder. 

His body was still, so I closed my eyes and was lulled asleep by the quiet noises coming from the dialogue of the TV.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.