Experiment Storm | Teen Ink

Experiment Storm

September 17, 2020
By MacF12020, Biggleswade, Other
More by this author
MacF12020, Biggleswade, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

My first attempt at writing a longer novel, I hope everyone enjoys it. Make sure to add comments for me to change and improve my piece!

Hi, I am Isaac and I never expected a dinosaur apocalypse. I know what you are thinking everyone does, I am mad! But give me a chance and I will explain my story.

On the 5th of October, my birthday, I walk to my new school, Rock High. Being in Year 10 I have always wanted a car. My parents promised me that they would buy me a new one when I am 17. When I arrive, an old lady walks out, of what I presume is the office. “Hello, I am Sarah Greene and I am the Headmaster of this school.” She says.

“Hello, I am Isaac and I am 15, which class would I be in please?” I reply. Suddenly, a young girl bustles out of some tall double doors.

“Hello, I am Sarah May and I will take you to your class!” She says happily. We walk down 5 long corridors and 3 double doors. Finally, we arrive. For some weird reason, I always seem to start the day off with double maths. After a measly school lunch, and triple sports, it is time to head home.

When I walk home, I always walk home past the Bordered Forest. When I was 6 my bestie James said there was an experiment that went wrong there. Then I hear a strange growl from the woods. I turn around and I see two yellow eyes staring back at me and from my angle, it looked as if it was a dinosaur, but that is impossible, right?

The next day at school I wondered about what I had seen the day before. The two eyes were like voids burning through my skull. As I walked down the corridor to get to Biology, the alarm suddenly went off. Suddenly, a boy came running down the corridor screaming “It’s a dinosaur!” As he went to turn the corner, a slimline black creature pounced on him and I turned away to just as there was a sickening crunch. I turned away and I dove into the nearest room. “What was that!” I screamed. I turned around to see six shivering students. Sarah was among them.

“I knew Evolution were creating them, I knew it.” She said.

“Guys that is a velociraptor, really intelligent and really deadly,” says a boy. Everyone stares at him “What you’ve watched Jurassic World, you know Blue right...?”

“He’s Ben and he knows everything to do with dinosaurs.” Says Sarah. “Well let’s get out and we can talk later maybe!" Ben exclaims. I ram myself into the door and it falls off its hinges.

“Thank god for that,” I say as I twinge my shoulder back and forth. “let’s go to my house and we can talk about this.” Two hours later, Sarah Ben and I are in my room chatting about what happened. The other 3 decided to walk on their own back to their houses. Bad Choice.

“What was that, why was there a velociraptor at school and who is evolution!?!?” Ben blurts out, uncontrollably.

“Easy now Ben, first I don’t know why there was a velociraptor at school. But I do know that evolution is a Scientific Research group based in London. They tried an experiment in the Bordered Forest and it went very wrong…” Says Sarah in an I-should-of-told-you-earlier-way. Suddenly, my parents burst in with a feast of sandwiches and chocolate bars. Ben lunges at a pack of chicken crisps, and Sarah politely picks up a Penguin bar.

“Isaac honey are you ok. I saw the news and the SAS are all over the place trying to contain these creatures.” Says Sally.

“The government is getting involved by banning all long journeys and are putting time restrictions on outside journeys!” Says Clare.

“I’m fine thanks I love you both. Hey Ben, can you draw us a map?” I ask tentatively.

“Sure, coming right up.” Says Ben as he rummages around my room looking for a pen and some pieces of paper.

“Hey mum, have you ever heard of Evolution? Sarah me and Ben need to check it out.” I ask.

“Yeah, but there is no road connecting it to the main passageway. I heard it shut down after a project called Experiment Storm?” She replies.

“Thanks, Mum, can you drive us to the overpass?” I ask hopefully…

5 minutes later we are in my mum's Bentley roaring with 500bhp down the highway. I put my black mask over my mouth. When we get there, I do not want to be contaminated by some weird Dino virus. I am wearing camo trousers and a black hoodie. I am ready for an adventure, but I am not sure that ben is as he is wearing a yellow Adidas jumper! After an hour of driving we finally arrive at the overpass, my mum says “You’ll have to get off here as this is as far as I can take you. But be careful, remember that the SAS are everywhere!” Says Sally.

“Thanks for driving us here mum, I love you tons!” I say, maybe for the last time. We hop out and walk silently down the steep hill. Off in the distance, I could hear a big "ROOAARR."

When we walk into the building, we see a severed arm. Sarah screams and Ben throws up. At the end of the arm is a taser gun. I carefully pick it up. “Come on let’s go!” I say to my friends. When we enter, I see a broken security camera and a massive panoramic window. In the middle of the window is a large spider crack running down the window as if it were a ruler.

“Let’s see what is inside that room,” I say. Me, Sarah, and Ben walk through the door and into the room. When we enter I can see snipers tasers rifles and pistols. In the middle of the room is a large sign saying weapons room. Ben picks up a taser pistol that has 8 rounds and can fire up to 100 meters away. Sarah walks to the middle of the room and picks up a heat signal tracker that can pick up a signal from 100miles. “Might come in useful!” Says Sarah.

I walk to the cabinet that I presume is the back door and I pick up a rocket launcher. I decided to swap my rifle with it. I signal to the others to walk out of the room. I open the door and an automatic light comes on. And that was when I realized we had stepped into a tropical jungle.

“Uh, guys I’m picking up a signal. A big one is coming at us fast from 200 yds away.” Sarah explains. Suddenly a large brachiosaurus comes running out of the trees. Even at a running pace, it is incredibly slow.

“It’s only a brachiosaurus, even I know that is a herbivore. What have we got to be scared about-“ And that was when a large T-rex cuts me off a takes a chunk out of the brachiosaurus.

“Leave her alone bully!” Says Ben and he fires his taser at the T-Rex. It hits its neck and the brachiosaur can plod of carefully, but we get the attention of the carnivore.

“Great now you’ve got its attention!”  I say to Ben. “Uh guys I do not think it is watching us…” Sarah says. One by one we see another large carnivore looking back at the T-rex. It had scaly skin and big razor-sharp teeth. But it also has small arms. As if it had read my mind it roared at us and Saliva hit my face. That is when I realized we were in big trouble and we had to find a way out of this room.

“Follow me, we could maybe get that Jeep started up!” Says Ben as we run towards the jeep. Ben jumps into the driver’s seat and Sarah jumps into the passenger seat and I jump into the back. When I finally sit up I can see a ladder leading to a hatch in the roof. I climb up the ladder and open the hatch. I see a massive electric cannon on the top of the roof. On the side of it is a green button. I press it and a round of electricity comes flying towards the two dinosaurs. It hits the smaller one and it roars in agony. It stumbles over its feet and it hits the t rex. They both trip up and hit the floor hard.

“Quick, get out!” says Ben and we all run for the back door. Luckily, it opens, and we manage to run up the hill just in time to see my Mums Bentley drive up the side road.

“How was it were you alright?” Sally says as she checks me for bruises. “Well if being chased by a dinosaur is good then yeah we were great!” I said jokingly. We all laughed, and I knew it was the start of the new team.

The following morning, I said, “If we are going to be a team then we need to have a base!” I say.

So, that afternoon we start to create a treehouse. I work on the defensive spikes around the tree house and when I get to 100 sharpened spikes I equally put them around our house. I also create a ladder to get up it.

Ben worked on the security system and the weapons on the balcony. We had underwater cameras in our moat, and we had one of the two rocket launchers on the roof of our treehouse implanted with a tracker system. We also had CCTV all inside and outside our base.

Sarah had taken rover, our new fully equipped JEEP rally monster to the supermarket to get some planks of wood, bricks, and screws. When she got back she said that the roads were deserted as if everyone had evacuated.

We divided the planks and when we had finally finished our base we sat down and rested. We had 4 floors. The 1st floor was our tactics room with a games area. The second floor was my room with a small bathroom. The third floor was Sarah’s room and then the fourth was Bens.

Later, that afternoon, a news mobile flew over the town and took pictures of burning buildings and dinosaurs on the rampage. The headline was: EVOLUTION VS DINOSAURS, HOW DID THE APOCALYPSE START?

I quickly took the controller and turned it off. I walked outside feeling fresh after my shower to see Ben and Sarah making a fire. Clare was inside the manor making fresh pasta and Sally was out having a spin in her new McLaren Senna having a spin. I decided to call her on my phone.

“Hello Isaac, how are you?” Says sally.

“Good thanks mum how are you?” I reply.

“Yeah, I’m good missing you like crazy. Now let me finish this power drift and I will call you back. Love you bye.” She hangs up the call.

The next morning, I wake up to a little creature sitting on my bed. It had sharp teeth and a big head, so it was easily a carnivore, maybe even a t rex.

When I am dressed and have had a shower, I take Rex (That is what I called him) outside to meet Ben and Sarah. Sarah had a baby brachiosaur which was as big as her, and Ben had a cute little baby velociraptor nibling on his fingers and arms.

“Did those things just come from nowhere, because they did with me!” We all laugh. We hop in Rover and take her to the Grocery store because we were running out of food for the treehouse. When we arrive, because there is no one there, we must leave a £50 pound note. As we were walking out a small dinosaur would scuttle underneath the aisles. Suddenly, a large dinosaur dropped through the roof and started to romp towards us ravenously snapping its jaws. It had a large spine and a set of razor-sharp teeth. A boy about my age stepped from behind the dinosaur saying, “Get them!” As the Spinosaurus came charging towards us I instinctively called “Rex” I saw the baby T rex running towards the Spinosaurus getting bigger and bigger until it was nearly twice the size of the Spinosaurus. The t rex ran straight into the Spino knocking it off its feet into the vegetable aisle. I am quite sure even if it was his dinosaur that had done it the boy was happy that aisle was gone.

“C’mon, guys we have the resources so let’s get back to the big tree!” When we arrive back at the big tree, we go into the living room and talked about what had happened. That is when I hear a ding from our gaming computer, and I open it up. EVOLUTION DINO HUNT!

I scroll down to carry on reading. Ben is ready with pen and paper to continue writing. Welcome Dinosaur Hunters, on the 5th of October 2000 we opened Experiment Storm, for a game.  Now that the dinosaurs have been created, it is your chance to find them. Come back to the leader board as every second, could make a difference. You could be first. On the second page is a map. In the middle of Rockford is a big fat X, signalling we must be close to getting to our next destination.

The following morning after a long night’s sleep, we make platforms for our pets. As a present from Evolution, they send you 4 hover pads containing toys beds and food for your baby dinosaur's needs! Then we started to gear out our Rover with straps at the back to contain our dinosaurs. Ben attaches the second electro-rocket launcher to the top of our jeep. I installed a powerful super charged V12 power-train engine releasing a staggering 500bhp which can get you to places in a very quick time. We all started to spray paint her in a camouflage coating just in case. I start the engine up and set course to the town center. On the way there, we cannot see any cars and the roads are empty. After 5 minutes of driving, the jeep lady says, “You have arrived at your destination!” We climb out of the car and see a big hill. At the top of the hill was a big crate with a blue balloon on top. Simple I think.

Just as I thought it was simple, a large Triceratops comes charging up the hill. Just as it was about to destroy the crate, Ben called for his pet Velociraptor. It jumped out of the cage and squealed and growled. The Trike looked surprised and backed off.

As the trike backed off, the kid that I presumed to be the owner stepped forwards and saw us. There is no point he thought and walked back down the hill.

We walked towards the crate and it opened automatically. Inside was a piece of paper and another baby dinosaur. “It’s a Ceratosaur, big and nimble.” Says Ben. We added him to the velociraptor’s enclosure hoping that the two would get along. We picked up the note saying: UP THE HILL YOU’VE COME, THE FINAL BATTLE SHALL BE WON.

We took the note back to the Jeep and headed home. Ben loaded the dinosaurs and Sarah started the engine. We needed the rest for our big day tomorrow.

When we get home, I fall on my bed. The next morning, we wake up raring to go…. At 4:37 in the morning. I put on my clothes and grab a sandwich. After I finish eating it, I walk outside. Surprisingly, Ben and Sarah are already up, they are even eating their breakfast. That is weird because I am usually the one that gets up first.

After one hour of driving, I ask, “do you guys have a destination? Because I definitely do not have one.”

“Yeah we do have one actually, and we are heading their now!” He says jokingly. When we arrive at our “Destination” I ask were we are. “The Natural History Museum, we figured if we were to go anywhere with dinosaurs, we might as well come here. When we open the big doors and eerie gloom of darkness comes rushing out to meet the light of the day. The first exhibit was a large brachiosaurus, and on either side was a large triceratops. The 3 horns looked like they were knives in the darkness. The egg must be here I think. We walk up the stairs and see a golden egg sitting in the Pteranodons nest. “Hah there it is!” says Ben, we walk towards it as a three. Once Sarah has picked it up, we head back to the rover. Once we hit the road, Sarah opens the egg and out stumbles a baby stegosaurus. A note also whizzes out and nearly goes flying out of the window.

When we arrive home, Ben opens it and a picture of London and Australia pops out. “Uh guys I  Think that this is a riddle because next to London is a town called Australia and there is a base for…. Wait it says, Evolution!” A shiver is sent down both of our spines. As we prepare for the final battle, I realise we must stop Evolution from containing these creatures. They must be let loose to roam our world. I say goodbye to my parents, just in case. We hop in rover and drive off. Once we were on the highway, Ben says “What do you think is”- He is cut off by a bullet pinging through the window a centimetre away from his head.

Suddenly, we hear a voice over a megaphone “Do you remember me, I will conquer the dinosaur world!” Says the boy from the supermarket. He was back and I dint like it. I climbed up the hatch to reveal our rocket launcher. I aimed for the front wheel and fired. The force was enough to make the bus stop. As we whizz off we hear him saying this is not the end. I am quite sure it is. When we arrive at the base, we had to act stealth like, just because it appeared to be the last one standing. We open the doors the front room has a set of TVs for the security cameras. It also had a button saying EXTERMINATE PROJECT STORM. It had a plastic cup over it. I opened the cup and pressed it.

5 MONTHS LATER…

“C’mon Isaac lets go to the swings!” Says Ben. Ever since the apocalypse of 2020, 2021 has become a different year. Dinosaurs have been able to roam around freely. And us humans have not interfered ever since. This really was a happily ever after…

So, that is my story. I wonder if you will see a dinosaur in your lifetime. You will never know….



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.