pineapple | Teen Ink

pineapple

By cats6688, Boise, Idaho
cats6688, Boise, Idaho

It's a short story

“You’re going to be fine Lourie, I’m gonna go out and try to get some food and medicine,” Mare paused and continued, “stay safe and don’t get in trouble, alright?”

Lourie let out a sickly cough as Mare gently kissed his forehead. Mare grunted as she heaved herself up from the floor, walked to the dusty wooden door, and opened it. 

Leaves rustling, branches shaking, a gust of wind zoomed by, a beam of light shined through the thick forest leaves and landed on the muddy earth beside her. On the way to Roney village, memories of Lourie, Mare’s little brother, filled her head. Lourie always had a disease that made him sick, but this time it was worse than usual. Just thinking of Lourie made her homesick.

Mare walked into the village, put on her hood and settled in a shady spot under an old spruce tree, she took out for a wooden bowl and began her usual begging.

“M’am? Would you be so kind?” Mare said holding out her bowl. 

Three gold coins dropped into the bowl as Mare grinned in delight, after an hour of sitting and begging, Mare stood up.

“20 gold coins,” Mare muttered under her breath, “just enough for medicine and a couple of pieces of fruit.”

Mare walked farther into the village, holding her precious gold coin tight to her body, just as she arrived at the pharmacy, Mare’s hood caught on a piece of thorn sharp branch, ripping the velvet colored cape off Mare’s slim body, her obsidian black hair glistening in the sunlight as everyone nearby gasped, and some looked at Mare in disgust.

“T-that’s a Lunar!” A woman whispered over her shoulder to a man with golden-brown hair.

“Get out of here!” An old man suddenly yelled.

“Yeah! We don’t want you here!”

People started to join in as Mare ran back into the woods crying. Just as she arrived at her wooden house, Mare saw that her door was slightly open. The door creaked as Mare slowly walked in, and inside, sitting on her rocking chair, was Lourie. Mare gasped as she saw what was in Lourie’s hand, her tears soon were gone.

“Lourie! You got food!” Mare shouted in delight, “And it's my favorite.” 

Lourie jumped off the chair, holding a large pineapple in front of him as he smiled for the first time.                                                                                          

It was nighttime when suddenly the door squeaked open. Mare sat up in alarm as an old woman walked in.

“W-Who are you?” Mare stammered.

“ I know what you want.” the old lady said, ignoring Mare’s question.

“Huh?”

“You want medicine for your sibling, don’t you,” The old lady said pushing her old wrinkly face into Mare’s and staring at her with sharp hawk eyes, “ In the enchanted forest far beyond your reach, someone is willing to help you.”

Before Mare could speak, the lady disappeared, leaving a map behind. Mare cautiously picked up the map and on it was the way to the enchanted forest. Tears flow down her cheek as she looked at Lourie who was sound asleep on his bed, this was the only chance Lourie could be cured, so Mare decided to leave that night, on a dangerous journey to find this cure.

Lourie woke up in the morning, beside him, Mare’s side of the bed was cold. He jumped off the bed, and on the table beside him was a note from Mare.

“Dear Lourie, last night a mysterious woman came into our house, she gave me a map that led to the unknown. At the end of my journey is where I can find your cure, I will be back as soon as possible. Take care of yourself and know that I always love you. Love, Mare."

The coldness stung Mare’s face as she wrapped her newly bought cape around her. Mare looked at the map, her first destination goes to a far village in the desert called the werewolf desert, then she has to go through a kingdom. Lastly, Mare has to travel to a village in the woods that leads to the enchanted forest.

“Hey! You kid,” an old man on a traveling cart suddenly yelled, “what are you doing here in the middle of nowhere?”

“I-I’m traveling to werewolf desert.” Mare stammered.

“Well, hop on!”

As Mare entered the cart, creepy men were watching her strangely, Mare sat uncomfortably in the corner and soon fell asleep. A bump awoke Mare, and she saw the driver in front of her.

“We’re here.” The driver said.

“Oh, thank you, sir,” Mare said and put 3 gold coins in the palm of the driver's hand.

Mare watched as the cart drove away, she turned around and found several werewolves growling at her, Mare stumbles back in fear and a female wolf walked up to her.

“I am Loreta, the alpha of this pack,” The wolf said, “ what are you doing on our territory?”

“Oh… umm… I was just passing through.” Mare replied.

“Is that so?” Loreta said.

Mare gulped as Loreta continued speaking.

“In that case, may I ask, where are you going?” 

“I’m going to the enchanted forest to get medicine for my sick sibling.” Mare suddenly said, starting to feel relaxed.

“The enchanted forest? That’s a long way off,” Loreta muttered to herself, “ Here, you might need this.”

Loreta took off her necklace and handed it to Mare.

“Thank you!” Mare said and ran off with the necklace in her hand.

Throughout Mare’s journey to the enchanted forest was tough, she had to sneak through the kingdom without getting caught, she got chased by villagers who wanted Mare’s precious black hair. But finally, Mare arrived at the village that leads to the enchanted forest. 

Mare stood before to village, it was huge, there were lights everywhere and a giant hanging bridge over a canon, as Mare was about to cross the bridge, two guards in the front stopped her.

“Halt! What are you doing here?” One of the Guards replied, “we don’t accept wolves here.”

“What? I’m not a wolf.” Mare retorted.

Suddenly the expression on the guard's face change, Mare realized that they were staring at her necklace that Loreta gave her. 

“Sorry for the confusion, miss,” The guard said bowing, “You may pass.”

Mare beams at them and ran across the bridge, everyone was welcoming especially papa babu.

Babu and Mare were walking in the village then Babu suddenly said, “Why don’t you take off your hood, dear?”

“I-uh, I’m afraid people will judge me,” Mare said looking down at her feet.

“In this village, nobody would ever be judged.”

Nobody? Ever? Mare though then she slips her hood off her head. Suddenly, Babu’s half-opened eyes widen, “You look like someone that use to live here.”

Someone that lived here? “Did he have black hair like mine!?” Mare asked excitedly.

“No, it was a girl, with brilliant amber eyes… just like yours,” Babu replied.

“Amber eyes like mine?” Mare muttered under her breath, “Perhaps her name was Rose?”

Rose was a girl who had lung disease, so she can’t ever go outside, except watching the kids play from her tiny dusted window. Every time she tried to go outside, her brutal parents would always chase her back. Until he came.

That night when Mare was about to leave, it was raining fish and dogs. Mare packed her clothes into a small bundle and shoved them into her leather bag. She stepped out into the stormy night and begin running in the direction of the enchanted forest. Mare walked into the forest, goosebumps rising on her arm, suddenly whish, a powerful wind knocked Mare off her foot and begin carrying her into the depth of the forest. The ride wasn’t pleasant, but it did get to where Mare wanted to go, the enchanted lagoon. 

The sight of the lagoon was breathtaking, it felt like a dream. Mare was walking closer and closer until a voice above her said, “You don’t want to fall in there, sweetheart.”

Mare snap her head around, sitting on a branch was a spirit, it had glowing blue skin and pure white hair. 

“What are you?” Mare asks squinting her eyes.

“I’m the guardian of the forest.”

“The Guardian?” Mare asks, “does that mean you can help me?”

“Oh, darling,” the spirit snorted, “I can do more than that, after all, I am the one who created you.”

“What?” Mare whispered.

A long time ago, a man came into my forest, begging for help,

“Dear kind spirit…” the man pleads, “make ME beautiful!”

Of course, I couldn’t ignore the wish, so I turned him into the first Lunar… Legend said Lunars have obsidian black hair, pale white skin, and glowing red eyes. 

“But by the look of your eyes, you're only a half,” The spirit said inspecting Mare’s amber eyes, “anyway, what is your wish dear.”

“I-I need medicine for my sick sibling.” Mare stammered.

“Is that so?” the spirit narrowed its eyes, “I’m afraid the only healer I know is in the Lunar village.”

“Lunar village?” Mare asks, “How would I get there?”

“You would have to get through me to get there,” The spirit smiled, “only if you are a full Lunar.”

“F-full Lunar?” Mare studdered.

“Are you willing to take the chance?” The spirit asked.

“I-I… I DON’T KNOW!!!” Mare suddenly shouts.

“But don’t you want to cure your brother?” The spirit asked calmly.

“Yes, but you don’t know what we been through, what I been through…we struggle every day, fighting for our lives, people, evil people tries to kill us for our hair. I would have to go through so much more if I was a full Lunar,” Mare said sobbing, “but yes, I would take the chance for Lourie. So turned me into a full if that’s the only way.”

The spirit stared at mare shocked, “are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Mare replied confidently, wiping the remaining tears away.

“Alright, here we go.” 

Wind swoosh around Mare, lifting her from the ground, until finally, Mare blacked out.

Mare woke up in a field of dandelions, the smell of sweetness fills her nose.

“Ouch!” A voice yelped.

Mare turned around, realizing she had stepped on a boy’s hand. They stare at each other for a second until the boy stood up and ran away.

“WAIT!” Mare yelled after the boy, but he disappears without a trace.  

Mare looked at the way the boy ran, in the distance, was a village. Mare runs excitedly towards the direction of the village. Mare swings her head around, looking at the village. It was an old town, houses were covered in cobwebs, but the designs were beautiful.

“You're new here, aren’t you?” A women’s voice said behind Mare.

Behind Mare was a beautiful woman, her hair flow like rivers and her eyes glow like the moon.

“What is a youngster like you doing here?” The woman said.

“Oh, I-I’m here to get medicine for my sick sibling,” Mare replied shyly, “I was told that there’s a healer here that could help me.”

“There is, but he won’t see you.” 

“I don’t care, just take me to her please.” Mare beg.

“Fine.” The women sign.

Mare follows the women through the village, as she passes, people were staring at her strangely, but Mare just kept on walking. Soon enough, Mare arrived at a little cottage. Vines tangle over the roof and flowers grow along the walls. 

“Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you, he can get a little cranky sometimes.” The woman said.

“Thank you very much, miss..” Mare said politely.

“You can call me Red,” Red said walking away.

“Thank you, Red!” Mare called after Red.

Mare pressed her face against the window, no one was in sight, so Mare just casually walked in. Inside was filled with herbs and potion, a sound behind rattled, Mare turned around, behind her was the boy.

“Oh, it's you again!” Mare beamed at him.

“You shouldn’t be here.” The boy whispers.

“Why not?”

“Just leave please.” The boy pleads.

“Charlie, what are you doing?” A middle-aged man walked out.

Mare stare at the man, something about the man seems familiar.

“Dad?”