The Sniper | Teen Ink

The Sniper

By Ishan-Dhoria7, Boston, Massachusetts
Ishan-Dhoria7, Boston, Massachusetts

The Sniper

It was July 22nd, It was a dark night and my friends and I were messing around in the woods because it was my 14th birthday. We were playing man hunt where the hunter has to find the other people, as we were running to hide I fell into a hole. A deep hole. I fell for about 2 or 3 minutes and landed in a pool of warm water. I was  very surprised it would be this warm but I was also really scared because I had fell down a hole and thought I wouldnt get out. 

I could hear my friends calling my name, “Cedi! Cedi!” I tried calling them but they couldn't hear me, I was devastated and really petrified . That was basically my day yesterday. As I was in the hole about to go to sleep on a dirty rock ,I heard music and it was coming from a cave that was a little bit far from me. As I fell and landed in the water, I hit my foot and I thought it was broken and rested it. I was injured and could barely walk but I thought if there's music there is probably humans.

I limped towards the cave and as I walked near it, the music grew louder and louder as I got closer. When I was really close I saw them. 

It was an Ancient Civilization that hadn't been discovered. As I walked in they all stared at me and I felt embarrassed. When I came in they immediately picked up their spears and ran straight to me yelling in a language I didn’t know. I was scared of them and didn’t know what to say so I said “Hi”. What I thought was their leader said hi in a sort of accent .I couldn’t really make out what he said but I figured he said “hi” Eventually I told them how I got there and how I was hurt and when they said they could help I thought they meant out of the hole but they meant my foot. When they laid me on the ground they rubbed this paste and it made it feel all better. “This was revolutionary!” I said as I saw it work and I wanted to get some and explore it with the outside world but as I asked them I saw a cave drawing on the wall. On the cave I saw people attacking each other and I guessed it was them and this was a long time ago so I decided not to ask. Later that day I tried to figure out names of people and who they where. 

So I asked what are their names and I couldn't make out very well but I think one of them said “Snorg” and the other one said “Blong” so that's what I called them. I also tried to figure out their tribe or civilization name and it was the “REEAINGS”. I had never heard of this tribe but it was cool to be the only one ever to find it. For lunch I had lots and lots of vegetables because they had a farm but had no meat.

As we ate Snorg and Blong came up to me and tried to talk to me in their language but I couldn't understand them I think they said “Humans are dangerous” but I couldn't tell why they would say that. Then I figured that the people in the cave drawings were humans attacking the REEAINGS and thought why would we do that so told them that we are not dangerous but then they acted out a whole scene for me while I was eating. What I made out of it was that while they were minding their own business human settlers came and attacked them and drove them into the ground and now there are living here. I asked why didn't they fight back and then they showed me a symbol of a gun and I felt that they had nothing to do and why would humans do that to harmless people. They looked like regular humans but when they bled their blood was green. This was a surprise to me because I thought blood would only be red but I was wrong.

In the morning for breakfast we had oatmeal which wasn't really good but was the only food. Throughout the day they performed rituals and I got to be a part of it. It was interesting and fun until the part where they made me step on hot coals for a minute. I couldn't feel my feet for about 3 hours. 

Later in the day we ate lots of traditional food that they usually ate but it wasn't my favorite for dessert we had some bugs which were surprisingly good but looked disgusting. When we were eating they put on a play for everyone to watch it was scary to see what they dressed up as they had spiders all over them and bugs. Since they were real I sat in the very back row of the cave. When it started a lady came out which looked like their queen or leader but only came out this day and this time.

They told us her story of how she made this civilization after they were forced to live underground. She explained everything even though everyone already knew I was curious to see so I got up and sat in the front row once I got curious. Her story went like this…. 

“We were living peacefully on the seashore when our guards called out “Ship!!, Ship!!”. We then got into battle positions each person lined up at a tower but their firepower was too good for ours so they fired cannons out their ship and soon we had no defence when they got on the island our queen which was at the time her mother tried to make a peace offering but she was shot by their leader an-d I became the new queen, we ran into the woods looking for a place to live and found a hole and jumped into it and found this cave and now we live here waiting to attack the humans once and for all”. 

I was shocked at how harsh they would be and once again said to myself, “Why would we do such a thing”?. After she told her story she said one of you will become queen or king after I die.

Later that night while I was lying on my bed in the ground I thought about how worried my parents must be and how much my friends must have missed me but I also thought of the fun time i've had here.I have been down here for 2 days and still haven't found a way to get out so I asked Snorg and Blong and they said the only way to get out from the hole I fell into. So I attempted to climb up but couldn't and they didnt have alot of wood for me to build a ladder so I tried to throw a rope up but it couldn't reach.  I decided to accept my fate and not try anymore. After I decided to explain some human concepts to them such as fire and plastic. After I told them about that they experimented with fire but not plastic that much and they figured out how to make food with it. 

When Snorg and Blong were eating with me they said they had a present for me. I quickly leaped up to see what it was and to my astonishment it was a huge ladder which was big enough for me to get out of the hole. I perched the ladder up on the wall and climbed up and got out of the whole. I was so happy that I almost fell back in jumping with joy. As I got out I quickly ran back home as fast as I could and say through the window my family dressed in black tuxedos and dresses with a coffin in the living room. I started to cry a little bit but then I pulled myself together. 

As confident as I was I walked into the living and said “Hey family” they all looked up in astonishment 

My mother mumbled, “It can't be… my baby?” as that happened everyone came and hugged me and asked what happened to my and I began to tell the story. I told everyone about Snorg and Blong and the hole and the ancient civilization and my parents said jokingly, “ I knew you should have put that bug spray on honey” and we all laughed really hard but in the night as I settled into bed I could hear my parents calling the police and I ran as fast as I could outside and called into the hole “Snorg Blong” and they quickly ran and I told them that humans were coming to attack them and they told me they were prepared. So I went back down in the hole to protect the hole with them and get revenge on the humans. So I slept down in the hole with the REEAINGS. The next morning when I woke up in the cave and all of the REEAINGS were prepared with spears, bows and arrows and the heavy artillery is the catapults but I wondered how they would get it out of the hole but they had an extra entrance so that they could get out. When they got out they were a police barricade outside and we immediately went to battle they shot their guns but when I was with the REES(REEAINGS) we hid and camouflaged in the trees. So when they attacked we almost killed all of them but then they brought tanks so we took out the catapults but we missed the main tank once then twice it was about to shoot at the queen and we shot the catapult the third time but the tank already shot and even though we got the tank it hit the queen head on and she died and made me the king since I was right next to her but next thing you know we were still in the battle. We fought and fought until we one but then there was one sniper left that was aimed at the king. I was the king and scared  but then as well shot him with are bows and arrows the bullet shot and it was zooming right at my head but then Snorg jumped in front of me and I thought I was saved but then it went right through his head and into my cranium and died but at least we won the war and the REEAINGS had got their homeland back. When my parents had found out about my death they cried and cried but this time they had a proper funeral for me. When the sniper shot the bullet I knew that it was gonna go through so I accepted my fate and my final words in my mind where

“I love you Mom, and Dad”.