The Locker | Teen Ink

The Locker

By owenbarnes25, Williamsport, Ohio
owenbarnes25, Williamsport, Ohio

Yeet.

The month is August. It is your first day in the sixth grade in Elm Creek Junior High School. How did summer go by so fast? That doesn’t matter now. The school bus driver is glaring at you and honking the horn, because you are late! Even though you need to go, your mom insists on taking a photo of you for the photo album that no one will look at. You can either 1, smile and wait for your mom to take a picture, or 2, leave your mom and sprint towards the school bus.

1-    You wait for your mom to take your picture, still as a statue, feeling the judgement radiating from every student on the bus. You walk through the aisle to look for a seat in the back, but no one wants to share a seat with the kid that made everyone late for school. Finding no seat in the back, you go back in the other direction. The only spot is the seat directly behind the bus driver. This sure was a good impression to make on your first day of school! At least your mom is very proud of how much of a big kid you’ve become! Go to 3 for the next page.  

2- You take off at top speed, not looking back. You get a back seat, and see your mom with a look of betrayal and disappointment on her face. Stop being so dramatic, mom! You head off to the school like any other day, but it is not like any other day, because you have to go to school. Go to 3 for the next page.

3-       You leave the bus with a mob of students that are for some reason, eager to get to the school. As other kids are putting their book bags in their lockers, you decide to go to your locker as well, but aren’t sure what your combination is. To try 48 - 23 - 10, go to 4, and

to try 38 - 23 - 7, go to 5. You can also ask a janitor to open your locker with a key, at 6.

4-      That isn’t it. You have wasted a full forty five seconds of your time. You are a little frustrated, but you won’t give up , will you? Go back to 3 to make a better decision.

5-     Click! You opened your locker! It swings open, and you put you book bag and lunch box in. You notice the hollow sound your book bag makes when it hits the bottom of the locker.

Got to 7 to get to class!

6-    You find the janitor and ask him to open your locker. An eighth grader snickers at you. He opens it, and tells you that your combination is 38 - 23 - 7. It is time to go to class, so go to 7!

7-     It is time to go to class, and you need to see Mr. Johnson, the Social Studies teacher, in room 117. His room is all the way across the hallway, and most of the kids are already in class. You can either 8, walk normally, and be late to class, or 9, run to class.

8-    You walk at a normal pace to the classroom, and no one notices you walk in. You were lucky, and missed your turn on the awkward “introduce yourself to the class” ordeal. Seats are assigned, and you get a nice seat in the back of the class near your friend Jesse. This might be a good day after all. To continue, go to 10.

9-    You make it to class just after the bell, and Mr. Johnson gives you a warning about running in the halls. You didn’t hurt any one, so why does it matter anyways? Then Mr. Johnson makes you do this activity where you have to say your name, and three things that you like doing. You give sarcastic answers and the class laughs, but Mr. Johnson gives you a dirty look. At least you have a desk right next to Jesse. To continue, go to 10.

10-   After two or three classes of introduction activities, talks about rules, and seating arrangements, it is time for lunch. You talk with Jesse for a bit about nothing too important, and depart to go to your lockers. At your locker, you enter in 38 - 23 - 7, and it swings open like it should. Oblivious to the school knucklehead, Randy, you organise your books in your locker. In the blink of an eye, he shoves you  on your locker, and shuts the door; a sign that he has perfected the art of shoving kids into lockers. He could have had a useful talent that didn’t get you shut in a locker, but this is not your lucky day. Also, How can a person fit inside a locker with books inside? This is no time for rhetorical questions, however, because you hear a creak from the loose bottom panel of the locker, and then drop to the ground in a pitch black room.

In the future, I may make a part 2!