The Rouge | Teen Ink

The Rouge

By Noah627, Monmouth, Oregon
Noah627, Monmouth, Oregon

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when their our footprints on the moon

Author's note:

Noah Mwas born on June 27, 2003, in Nevada. He doesn't remember anything about except that it was HOT.  He enjoys swimming and vacationing at Lake Tahoe, Nevada/Arizona.

While the Rogue agent wasn't his first book, it’s Noah’s favorite. He originally wrote about a Pig called Noah who could pull out anything with his magical top hat. An animal with a hat remind you of anything?

You can find him at school partaking in the crab army and doing well in school (at least that's what I think.)  You can find him outside of school lifting weights, doing chores, reading, and yes, playing Fortnite.

“Are you in Jake?” Luke says through my mic.

“Yes, Luke, but why do I have to crawl through this dusty old vent when I could be taking out all the guards and having fun?” I reply in a sharp tone.

“Because last time I let you do that, you got tasered in the back, and I had to send backup,” Luke says in a smarmy voice.

“Fair enough,” I say, “but you're paying for my water bill because I’m going to be showering a lot after this mission.”

“No, I’m not” Luke replies through the mic.

“No your not” I mutter under my breath.

“Okay you're right next to it,” Luke says.

I poke through the vent and wipe the dust off my glasses. There it is behind 4 armed men. The jewel. It's as red as blood and as old as the dawn of time. I pull out a small oval shaped bomb, press a small red button on it, throw and cover my ears.

BAM!

I run through the vent, sneak past the blinded men, and grab the jewel. Quickly, I dart across the floor and climb back into the vent. The men start firing through the ceiling at me. I rush through the vents, bullets barely missing me, and climb up to the top of the building where my helicopter awaits. I jump into the helicopter. The men continue to fire. They hit my engine. The helicopter stops abruptly and starts beeping loudly. I jump out with the jewel just as the helicopter blows up. The men are coming to the roof now, but I grab one of my weapons and start firing.  I clear an easy path and run to one of their own helicopters. I fly away with the jewel and my life.

“7.5!” I yell at Luke “I did amazing!”

“Did you?” Luke says in an unsure voice. “You used your flashbang when you could have used our array of silenced weapons.”

I look at him trying to see if he’s being serious or just messing with me.

“Anyway,” Luke says,  “You've done well enough that you have been authorized to rank up to 8*

“Really?” I ask.

“Yes. Good job and all that, but let's get to point. You know you get to choose the suit that you will use for your entire career as a spy,” Luke says. Then he leads me through a pair of doors.

As soon as I lay eyes on it, my jaw drops. All around me are pieces of technology that average people have never dreamed of, but what really catches my eye is a jet black suit with the most high-tech A.I.

“Ah. Suit 4-gw,” Luke says. “Jet black color hides even in broad daylight. Try it on.” I put on the suit and look at Luke. All of a sudden a bunch of information pops onto my screen.

Name: Luke Silver

Age: 20

Role: Guide to all below rank 10 agents, and best friend with Jake gray.

All of a sudden an alarm goes off and once again the words pop up on my screen.

Warning: Riot at Alcatraz!  

*“rank” is a way to measure how far you are in combat, smarts, and other things you need to be spy. The highest rank is rank 10 where you become a pro spy and can go on more serious missions.

I stick my head out of the helicopter. I’m right over Alcatraz. From the outside, it looks amazing. But I know on the inside things are going down. I jump out of the helicopter and land on the roof. Thanks to my suit’s catlike reflexes, I land on my feet. I pull out a Spy brand actual laser pointer™  and cut a hole through the roof.

When I land inside, things are going crazy. Prisoners are running around, the guards are freaking out, but all of a sudden something catches my eye. I whip around, and I see him. The most blackhearted, evil person the agency has ever faced.

Alvanzoe!

I quickly ask my suit, “What’re the chances of capturing Alvanzoe and saving everybody else?”

“Running numbers,” my A.I says. “About 0.0007.”

“Good enough for me,” I reply.

I run over to Alvanzoe and reach out to grab him. He snaps around and, before I can respond, tasers me.

“When will you spies learn,” Alvanzoe says in an unsettling voice. “I’m always one step ahead.”

I try to move but I can’t.

“Dang it,” I mutter.

He deactivated my suit with the taser.

I look around in the dim light. Alvanzoe’s pulling something from his pocket…. Is that a detonator?

“Such a shame all these people have to die because of you,” Alvanzoe says. “They could have made good slaves. Well, goodbye.” Alvanzoe starts to walk away, but then he turns around. “Oh, I almost forget. Even if you survive, you sacrificed your mission to stop me. That makes you a traitor, and the agency holds grudges, I hear.”

I have just enough time to yell “you won't get away with this!”

The entire roof comes down on my head.

I wake up to screaming. But whoever it was stopped quickly. Luckily I can move. My suit recharged while I was knocked out.

I raise my head and see an agency soldier on the ground, dead, surrounded by robots. I quickly stand up and start shooting the mechanical monsters. I stand over them determined to escape this place.

Suddenly another group of robots surrounds me.

“All right soldiers. I want a nice clean kill. No funny business,” one of the robots says.

“Roger Roger!” They reply in unison as if there were droids from the Star Wars prequels.

The captain starts counting down “3… 2… 1... FIRE!”

I quickly duck and… they all shoot each other. The captain looks around. Probably confused.

“ERROR! ENEMY STILL ALIVE! MALFUNCTIONING!”

With its last words delivered, the robot explodes.

Without blinking, I start dictating a message to Luke.  Finally, I’m able to get ahold of him to explain.

“You’re done,” he says unhesitatingly.

After a much later finally, I’m able to convince Luke to help me track down Alvanzoe.

Luke picks me up seconds later.

“Let's ride,” he says.

“Yeah,” I reply, “how hard could tracking down Alvanzoe be?”

We've been riding in the helicopter for 3 hours now, and Luke is starting to get angry.

“Another palm tree” I mutter, looking down.

“CAN YOU STOP!” He yells out of nowhere.

“Calm down man,” I say.

“NO,” he yells again. “You made a stupid decision, and I stupidly decided to help you.”

“Well fine,” I say “ I'll do this on my own.”

I start to grab the controller of the helicopter, but Luke fights me for it. That’s when the wheel brakes, and we start veering off course toward a volcano. Our nose dips, and now we’re plunging towards the lava.  

The End

...probably…

maybe ...

eh, don't count on it.

“AAAAAAAAA!” we yell. Our voices come out surprisingly high pitched for young adults.

We are about to fall into a pit of lava.

Instead, we drop straight through.

I look at Jake. Then I look down.  

CRASH!

I slowly get out of the helicopter which is now on fire. Immediately, I trip over something and land on my face.

When I get up, Luke stands up too and starts walking. I follow him. We’re in a large dark room. He walks through the biggest door.

Inside waits Alfonzo.

“You weren't supposed to survive” Alfonzo, says. He presses a button to his right. I spring out of the way.

Luke is not so lucky.

A giant cell drops on to him. Alfonzo glares at me “why you little.”

“A.I,” I bark. “Activate laser cannons.”

“Okay, Jake. Activating laser cannons,” she says in such a nonchalant voice you would think she was commenting on the weather.

A flash bright enough to blind me blasts from my suit. When I can finally see again, Alfonzo is gone.

“Well, well,l well,” a mysterious voice echoes through the dark room, “you weren't supposed to survive.”

A man steps out of the shadows. I look at Luke and he's shocked. I look back at the man, and then I understand.

He’s the head spy.

The head spy smiles. “I know what you're thinking. Why would I up head spy work for the enemy? Well, here's the thing,” he says smiling, “I don't work for the enemy. The enemy works for me!”

His last words still ringing, he fires a direct hit to my chest.

“Warning: shield at 75%,” she says like it’s a day at the beach.

He hits me again.

“Warning: shield at 65%.”

I duck just in time to dodge another round of fire. Then I start to run, bullets whizzing past me.

I look to Luke for help and see Jake mouth, “keep stalling.”

Luke will clearly be no help.

I rack my brain for answers but come up with nothing.

That’s when Luke starts flying.

Of course he did. It’s Luke.

Somehow he was able to activate one of his prototype jetpacks.

Now I know what I need to do. I pull out a flashbang, throw it, and yell, “Luke cover your ears!”

BOOM!

The head spy stumbles back onto his controls and activates one of his own buttons. A pit of lava opens below him, and he falls. We barely have enough time to react before hundreds of Agency soldiers burst through the door.

It’s been a month since we took down the head spy. We’ve finally been accepted back into the agency. Things have been pretty weird since then, but this meeting should finally clear everything up. I arrive at the meeting with Luke, not sure whether to smile or be serious.

Sitting at the front of the table is the agency’s second in command, Faith Livia. She starts off by congratulating us on our acts of heroism. The rest of the speech is mostly a blur but at the end, she says, “As a form of congratulations, we’ve decided to honor you with a new rank. This can only be earned by those who never give up. People who never stop delivering, even when everything is on the line. We honor you with Rank Rogue Agent.”

By the time I finally get to my room, I’m exhausted and need to take some well-deserved rest.

Before I can close my door, Luke walks in.

“Come on,” he says, “the new head wants us to lead a super dangerous life-threatening mission!”

I sigh.

“Let's go save the world.”