UNSUNG HEROICS | Teen Ink

UNSUNG HEROICS

December 10, 2015
By ghet6, Stockton, California
More by this author
ghet6, Stockton, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It began On a tuesday. A man in a uniform walked into the local cafe along with a woman that appeared to be his age. The man had black hair and brown eyes while the woman had brown hair and blue eyes. The man inquired to the woman what she would want for a drink.
“I’ll have a cappuccino,” she answered. They walked up to the counter to order their drinks. 
“So what will you two be having?” inquired the employee.
“I’ll have a latte and the girl will have a cappuccino,” said the man blankly. The duo would then proceed to a table and begin a conversation about their pasts.
“So Jack why did you join the department anyway?” asked the woman.
“Well,” said Jack “It began about two years ago in Jacinto bay I was part of a special operations mission in Jacinto bay in which the Major stated that the team was expendable, the order was to assassinate a prominent government official in that bay.” Jack stated “When we were deployed that's when everything started to go to hell.” Jack then began to tell Jade of the fateful mission into Jacinto.

“Approaching L.Z Epsilon,” said a man in black camo.
“Lock and load, you greenhorns,” ordered Jack while loading his rifle.
“Just wait until we land Lieutenant that records bro-,” Rook started before being cut off.
“MISSILE INCOMING. HOLD ON TO SOMETHING,” screamed the pilot intercom.
The helicopter was then be hit and a large explosion could be heard from across the bay and shook the crew.
“Jump jump jump,” yelled Dewitt.
“This is going to get sticky!” screamed the pilot.
Jack, Dewitt and the rest of the special operations squad then jumped  into the Anti aircraft soup. Most of the squad wouldn’t make it to the ground.
“Dewitt you alright?” asked the Rook.
“Yes ,I’m fine, kid Jack you alright,” asked Dewitt to Jack.
“Let’s just finish this operation,” replied Jack.

As Jack was going to continue on, another man walked in  with a group of loud officers.

“ Mac didn’t know it be rush hour this morning unless something bad hap-,” he started before he was cut off.
“Hey, you behind the counter, turn the television on!” yelled an officer.
“Calm down Merryl, could someone tell the rookies this ain’t the end of the world yet,” said another.
“Anyone paying for these drinks?” asked the burdened employee.
“Everyone quiet down!” yelled the man who entered first as he turned the TV on.
  The TV  showed a massive amount of civil distress around the city center. Protesters took to the streets saying something about the mayor's mysterious disappearance
“Alright people, let's move. That mayor ain’t going to find herself,” said an officer.
“So, Jack, we going to assist the search or what?” asked the woman.
“I’d be damned not to, Jade,” replied Jack.
The got into their designated car  to head for the police station. They were  blocked by rowdy protesters and anti-riot personal attempting to quell the minor insurrection.
“My god, someone's going to get hurt out here,” said Jade
“It will die down…well, eventually,” Jack replied coldly.
“Let's just head for the station,” said Jade, disappointed.
When they got to the station they saw what looked like a warzone after a battle. There were bodies littering the streets,officers and civilians alike. Some unrecognizable.   
“What a mess,” Jack said, breaking the silence.
“What in the world happened here?”asked Jade, almost vomiting over the dead bodies.
As Jack  gathered munitions from the Station, he saw the body of Nick, a childhood friend.
“Dammit, Nick,” he said checking the body.
“Jack that you?” asked the corpse.
“Wait you’re alive?” inquired Jade.
As Nick got up to explain, a gunshot was heard in the distance.
“We got to move now!” exclaimed Nick.
Jack and Jade  unholster their guns. Jack carried a .45 caliber silver M1911 while Jade had a standard issue Glock-17.
“Find cover Nick,” they said in unison.
The duo  then took cover behind a sandbag barricade complete with bullet holes in it.
“So ,Jack, how do you know Nick?” asked Jade.
“Well, when I was in college I lived with him and his mother...well, after my parents died on duty,” said Jack wearily.”He told me that his mother had a tumor in her brain.”
“Well I’d like to meet that woman soon,” laughed Jade awkwardly.
“You are a cruel woman Jade, very cruel.” replied Jack.
“Hey at least I’m not an orphan,” she countered.
“Just take the shooter down already,” Nick yelled.
“Alright alright fine,” Jack returned,” let’s just move inside the building for now.”
The trio then moved back rather nervously walking over the dead bodies as if in a graveyard.
“Damn Jade this place is dirtier than your house,” Jack said teasingly.
“Mr.Clean always looking for ways to torture my house.” countered Jade
“Well Nick just make yourself comfortable for the time being,” said Jack motioning into the police station.
Nick then whispered to Jack,“Just to let you know, Jack, you two would make a good couple.”
“Why would you say that?” inquired Jack.
“Just  a matter of opinion and besides you two go together like peanut butter and jelly.” replied Nick pointing at Jade, who was sleeping on what was left of a sofa.
Jack carried a blanket and covered her gently to keep her from waking.
“I love this moment,” said Nick as he took a photo with his phone.
The Jack then glared at him with soul piercing eyes.
“Whoops,” whispered Nick.
They would stop momentarily to the noise  of footsteps outside of the building.
“They’re back!” exclaimed Nick almost screaming.

“They’re back!” exclaimed Nick almost screaming.
“Wait,” said a person outside”did you hear that.” Jack then grabbed Nick and dragged him to a cell. He then load his pistol and pick up a baton.
“I don’t like this at all man.” said Jack to Nick.
“You me and the rest of the world.” replied Nick.
“Hey don’t shoot we’re coming in.” said a familiar voice.
“Well I’ll be...  Dewitt that you?” asked Jack.
“Yes it is retirement was a pain.” answered Dewitt as he entered.
The duo would let the platoon of officers and militia members enter the building with weary eyes. A police officer took notice to Jade who was sleeping.
“Whats with her?” an officer asked.
“She’s just tired,” replied Jack.
“Hey where’s Johnny?” asked Jack.
“Johnny didn’t make it,” replied Merrill.
“Dammit that kid was young,” said Dewitt.
“Firstly we need to retrieve the gear from the armory,”said an officer.
“Alright then Jack you and Jade get your gear first,”said Dewitt”the rest of you form a perimeter around the building.”
Jack had chosen S.W.A.T tactical gear over the traditional police bulletproof vest, he acquired two forty five caliber handguns along with holsters to accompany those two. He had also retrieved an assault rifle custom made for close quarters combat. Jade had acquired a mp5 submachine gun with a suppressor attachment along with night vision goggles. After they had scavenged their gear from what was left of the armory Jade pulled Jack into an abandoned office.
“Finally ,our first time alone,” said Jade exhaustedly.
“Hm ,you don’t say,” replied Jack.
“Oh come on don’t,” said Jade.
Jack rolled his eyes.
“So you consider that a date now ever since your father said no to me ,” Jack sarcastically said.
“Oh really…you should remember the time Nick ruined that date.” Jade countered while approaching Jack.
A moment of silence beckoned the room with a few footsteps from behind the door. Nick was speaking  to Mac about something while another officer stared at Nick with a death glare.
“...So like this,” asked Nick as he loaded a pistol.
“Almost, but no,” said Mac almost disappointed.
A little rustling could be heard from the office in which Jack and Jade were in.
“Jade, I think it's time we went back to work before anyone notices we are gone” Jack said breaking the kiss.
“Oh come on Jack just a bit longer,” pleaded Jade.
“No time Jade,” Jack replied as he put his gear on.
“Just promise me something,” asked Jade.
“Sure. what?” replied Jack.
“Just promise me when this is all over you’ll-.” Jade said interrupted.
“Hey, we got to go. Dewitt just said the national guard just left the city,” yelled Nick.
“Alright,” Jack answered “We’ll continue that chat later alright.”
While Jack would be putting on his gear he would look at at an empty bowl in his locker.
“Hey Nick,” Jack asked “About ten years back you remember that conversation.”
Nick would nod in recognition of that conversation.

“So Nick about that butchery where you work how much do you get paid,” inquired Jack.
“I honestly don’t want to talk about that but Larry-,” Nick said before getting interrupted by Larry.
“Oi, Nick get back to work that rookie just cut off his finger,” Larry said.
Nick would go to run to the store to call nine one one for the kid. Jack would then snap back to reality.

“Hey Jack you alright?” asked Nick.
“Yeah I’m alright,” replied Jack.
Jack and Jade both got into a cruiser to follow in the police convey to the crime scene to see if there was any clue to who kidnapped the mayor.
“So, Jade, what was that conversation about?” inquired Jack.
“It was about this,” she said right before kissing Jack on the lips.
Just as they were both going to kiss again the radio blasted into life.
“Well, that was unexpected,” said Jack while blushing.
“I think we’re here now,” blasted the radio.
“Roger that,” answered Jack.
While exiting the vehicle the entire department or what was left of it anyway set up a perimeter around the partially destroyed building.
“Well I got to go back to the shop,” said Nick while walking away.
“Some days that kid really deserves to get shot,” sighed Mac.
“He could be annoying sometimes. Just give it a while sometimes longer,” sighed Jack.“This could take a while to get used to.”
“Let’s just set up a perimeter so we can deal with the case,” said Mac nervously.
“Yea… listen up, I want groups of two in that building to search it,” commanded Dewitt “Jack and Jade, as always, you two go together, Mac take a Swat team to protect the entrance and the exits the rest of you choose a partner.”
As the rest of the officers chose partners Jack and Jade decided to move into the building. They  both then un holstered their weapons as they entered.
“Remember that basic cqc training at my house?” asked Jade.
“And you kicked my ass or was that Merrill,” replied Jack slyly.
“Heh you just love tormenting me don’t you,” Jade said.
“Yes I do-,” Jack said before he was cut off by breaking glass.
The two would both ready themselves for a firefight by taking cover behind the flipped table.
“Dewitt, come in. Over,” Jack said on the radio.
“We’re pinned down out here. Militia by the looks of it,” Dewitt answered “Hold up … TANK!”

“What. Dewitt did you just say a tank,” asked Jade.
Only eerie static came back as the response. A russian voice could be heard from the window along with small arms fire and screams.
“Damn russians what could they want with this city,” says Jack.
“Could it be that they are just terrorists,” asked Jade.
“No it couldn’t be. Petrenko he died thirteen months ago in Jacinto bay,” answered Jack “Besides he’s the only one bold enough to even attack this deep in Gorasni territory.”
“He wasn’t the only one who had the boldness… Lieutenant Jack Barnes,” said the radio. “Some of us want this continent. That's why you were left along with everyone in this city, your government is afraid of us.”
“Who is this?” asked Jack.
“Your worst nightmare,” came the answer.
A helicopter could be heard heading for Jack and Jade's position. Jack then realized who the voice was: A person he believed he had killed that day has had disciples all over the globe. Now the end would come one way or another.
“Jack,” asked Jade.
“Yes?” answered Jack.
“Who was that man?” she asked.
“A man I should have killed... now he’s killed everything that we have worked for,” answered Jack. “Lets just go to my house. I have some military gear when I was in the Gorasni Special Operations force.”
“Well... alright,” Jade replied while tearing up.
“Hey Jade you alright?” asked Jack.
“Yes… everything's just peachy,” she answered while crying.
“Is this about. Catherine listen I’m ove-” Jack started before being cut off.
“No, it isn’t about that, it’s that I may never be able to see you again,”Jade said.
“Why’s that?” Jack said as Jade took aim at him.
“I’m his daughter,” she said while laughing and crying almost hysterically. “Pull the trigger already, please do it for me.”
The two took aim at each other. Jack tried to calm Jade down; meanwhile, Jade slowly pulled her trigger. Then a final shot was heard from the building and outside a man smiled when he heard the final shot. A man then came limping out of the building with a woman's bloody body in his arms.
“Dolzaev!” Jack screamed.
“No this isn’t possible, you should be dead,” he said in fear.
“You and me…, are two sides to the same coin. We are opposites, now you will pay for what you did,” replied Jack firing while looking for cover hitting most of them but only wounding them. The surviving entourage then proceeded to return fire which had no effect. Jack threw a grenade at them which took out four of the six surviving entourage. The remaining duo then surrendered.
“You could have killed me, you know,” Dolzaev said while entering the car.
“Shut the hell up,” countered Jack.
“See you in hell… lieutenant,” Dolzaev said before being taken away.
“Yeah I’ll say hello to Jade when I go down,” Jack replied ”asshole.”

A man crouched with a arm cast and a sling, there was a grave with a familiar name to him. Alongside it were gravestones for every other officer in the city. “Jade, I know you can’t hear me anymore, but can you at least tell the guys something, tell them to open the tab for me when I get there,” Jack said to the gravestone. “One day Jade, I’ll be there.”
“Hey Jack,” he sighed, “ do you want to stay with me again,” asked Nick with a burdened voice.
“No I’ll deal with it personally,” answered Jack. “Just drop me off at the Prison.” As Nick dropped Jack at the Prison, Jack was greeted by the local officers.
“Sergeant,” Jack said.
“You’re here to deal with Dolzaev, hmm?” asked the Officer.
“Yes,” answered Jack.
“His execution is in twenty minutes,” said the officer.
“Alright,” replied Jack “It’s finished.”
After watching the execution of Dolzaev, Jack went to the stand to present the progress of the fallen.
“Today was a loss for all of us, and I admit that. We have lost friends, family and comrades during this revolt. But believe me that we will retake what we have lost...and maybe find reconciliation,” said Jack”thank you for your time and your attention.”
“So the bastards dead?” asked Nick as he pulled up.
“Yea, I think it’s time for me to go back to the city,” said Jack “Time to take it back from them.”
“Well, let me join the fun anyway besides, I’m a ridealong,” replied Nick.
“This where it ends,” says a voice on the radio.
“No it's where everything begins,” says a recorded broadcast of Dolzaev “but all good things must come to an end, Comrade Lesnitsky... in time now, order the attack.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.