To Deliver | Teen Ink

To Deliver

July 20, 2015
By MonochromeAura, Chicago, Illinois
More by this author
MonochromeAura, Chicago, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The beauty of silence.


Author's note:

Opportunities can be anywhere, just look.

The last thing I see before I fall asleep is the newswoman announcing a race. My eyes feel heavy as I fumble around for the remote to turn off the loud television. I sigh as I turn it off, hearing my older brother comes into the room, pulling a cover on me quietly.
“Thank you, big brother...” I thank him right before my eyes close tiredly. When I wake up again, it’s late into the night-or at least, that’s what the clock that sits on one of the bookshelves tells me. I feel a hand tangled in my hair and get up in surprise, only to turn around to see I was lying on my brother, who is asleep. I get up slowly, disentangling his hand from my hair, as I pull the cover over my brother.
“Sleep well, Olli.” I hug him, and I feel him waking up. My eyes widened, as I look for a place to hide, I don’t like unintentionally waking someone up.
“Marilyn! What did you wake me up for?” My brother yells angrily, just before I’m out of the room. I gulp and turn around.
“I’m sorry Oliver! I didn’t mean to-” I’m cut off by my brother laughing.
“I’m kidding, Marilyn. I didn’t scare you, did I?” My brother looks at me.
“No... of course not!”
“Well that’s good, because I was just messing around with you.” He starts to laugh again. I grin, going to put the cover away in our room. My mom and dad walk in my room, sitting on my bed. I put the cover on my bed when I hear a voice.
“Dear, we are going to see the Delivery’s Pulling, ok? You guys will come later; we just want to be there to get seats.” I nod, as my dad hugs me.
“Listen to Oliver; he is your older brother after all.” Oliver then comes into our room, grinning.
“Can I take her out to eat before we head down there, please mom and dad?” Oliver begs our parents. They nod, and I run to the closet to get my jacket, but my brother stops me.
“Olli, aren’t we leaving-“
“Yes, but you’re not gonna wear that jacket anymore.”
“I’m not?”
“No, you’ll wear this.” He pulls out a box with my name on it, motioning for me to open it. I open it to see a jacket, a black one identical to his red one. I stare at it in shock, how did he manage to get this for me?
“Do...you like it?” I cheer, jumping in my brother’s arms, hugging him tightly.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you, I love it so much, I’ll wear it every day!” He smiles, then stares at me in sadness.
“What’s wrong?” He shakes his head, getting up to ready himself. A few minutes, I’m waiting for my brother, at the door. He comes downstairs, and suddenly his gaze is on me. I stand up slowly-I guess he’s staring at the dress under my jacket.
“You...you look beautiful, Marilyn.”
“Thank you; I like the jacket the most!” I say cheerfully, as I twirl a little for him. He walks over to the door with a smile, opening it while he allowed me to go first. We walk to a McDonalds, and big brother orders our food. After we finish eating, we head over to the square, joining our parents. A man comes onto the stage, waiting to speak.
“Welcome to the Ircea Delivery Pulling! First, we will pull the names for this year’s pulling, and then we will tell the how the race is run.” The man pulls out a name, and speaks, but I can’t hear him, I’m thinking. I do hope I get picked; the race challenges each year always are so excited and interesting. The rest of the town watches it at home, so we can be up-to-date. It’s not just an ordinary race-
“The last name is gonna be called, Marilyn. This is important; it could be someone we know.”
“And the last contestant is...Marilyn Price!” My mouth grew into a smile. I look at my brother and his mouth is dropped. I stand up, walking to the stage, my eyes staring at it curiously. I walk up on it, next to the other contestants, smiling happily. I hear people whispering to each other about me, but I pretend I don’t hear them.
“How old are you, Marilyn?”
“How old am I? I’m 11 years old, and I’ve been waiting for this!”
“I’m sure you have, Marilyn. Let’s get to the race, shall we!” The crowd goes wild.
“Alright, as everyone knows, the valuable item is in a balloon. You have to fly the other 9 balloons plus the item-in-a-balloon-we’ll call that the “Delivery” balloon-to get the item to the name or address in a certain amount of time. You must make sure nothing happens to the item. If the “Delivery” balloon pops or floats off, you are disqualified. To put it simply, you have to give a very special item to a name or address under a specific amount of time-using only balloons to fly as your way of getting it to that person. The 2 winners gets prizes, the losers...well, what you get will be decided after the race. The race starts tomorrow, any questions?” We shake our heads, leaving one by one off the stage. My family is waiting for me patiently, clapping when I get down. I notice my brother looks kinda sad, and I wonder why. We go home, me skipping because I’m excited for tomorrow. Once we get home, I take a bath, brush my teeth, and I put on my pjs on in the bathroom. I’m about to go into me and my brother’s room, but I hear something. I hear him...crying? I silently enter the room, and walk up to my brother’s bed-where he is, his head in his hands, sobbing.
“Big...brother?” His head shoots up, and he wipes the tears quickly from his eyes.
“Go to bed.”
“But big brother-”
“I said go!” He yells, before he burst into tears again.
“What did I do wrong?” He ruffles my hair, and I turn to leave, sadly but before I can take a step, my brother pulls me on his bed into a hug. He’s still crying, so I gently pat his back.
“It’s not you, Marilyn...it’s just the race. It’s just that...you’re only eleven, traveling by balloon to give something to someone who you don’t even know, and what if you’re going over a body of water, or a volcano-or a mountain? What if, just then, the balloons pop or you slip? You could hurt yourself-or even die! You’ll be gone for an entire week! The race makers don’t care about that-they just care about who can get some stupid item to someone. They don’t care if you put your lives-your lives-at stake. I can’t let this-you’re not going to the race.”
“But, big brother-“
“Do I make myself clear, Marilyn? You are not going to-“
“However hard it maybe, it’s her decision, Oliver. Sweetie, are you sure you want to participate?” My parents say, coming in. I think for a minute.
“Yes, and I’ll win it for you guys!” I stare at my brother, who gives me a sad smile.
“Good luck, Marilyn.” I nod, smiling.
“We’ll get your stuff ready for tomorrow, sweetie.”   
“Thank you, mom and dad...thank you, Olli.” My parents leave, and my brother pulls me onto his bed.
“Lay with me....for your last night...please...Marilyn…” He begs, his eyes drooping slowly, I can tell he’s tired.
“Alright...good night Olli.” I lie down as Oliver pulls the cover over the both of us. I fall asleep shortly after, taking into consideration what Olli said. The next morning, when I wake up, a box is on the edge of the bed. I pull it closer, and when it’s close enough, I get ahold of it. I open it, and inside is a purple M necklace, a black dress, purple jacket, and black sneakers (which looked expensive). I looked at the bottom of the box and I saw a card signed by Oliver. It read-
“Marilyn, this is your big day to shine and win that race for me...for you. It doesn’t matter if you lose, but I want you to be happy doing it...this sounds kinda cliche, sorry. If you want to find me, put on your new clothes and meet me-downstairs...Love you.” I put on the clothes, grabbing the shoes, and ran down the stairs, my brother at the foot of them. I hug him tightly as he spins me twice, gently setting me down afterward.
“Thank you so much, Olli! I...I love it so much!” I smile. He grins, rubbing his neck, a little embarrassed.
“It’s no problem for my little sis.” I sadden at this.
“But the necklace and the shoes...weren’t they-”
“I used my money to buy it. It’s fine, it’s fine.”
“I...thank you so much, Oliver…” I hug him.
“Now c’mon. You gotta get to the race, let’s-”
“Not without somethin’ to eat!”
“Sorry, mom. Yeah, you should sit and eat…”
“Who knows who long it’ll be before my child eats! Her poor health!” My mom pretends to cry.
“Mom…” Oliver rolls his eyes, bursting into laughter. I laugh as well, as my father comes in.
“Here you go, eat up.” My father sets in front of me a mountain of food. Me and my brother eat it all together, and race each other to the door, where we put our shoes on. The whole family heads outside, walking in silence to the race. Once we get there, it’s completely silent, making me freeze.
“Marilyn? Marilyn!” My brother screams, making me turn around. They are trying to push him back, he can’t come any closer.
“Oliver! No, let him see me off! Please!” I scream at the race makers. One female race maker looks me, her eyes saddening.
“Let her see her brother before the race. Let him go.” She says, and I silently thank her. I run to my brother, and sob into him.
“Oliver...I don’t want to go...I want you to come with me...don’t leave me here...don’t let them do this to me...please…” He sighs, going up to one of the contestants.
“How old are you?”
“I’m 7.” My mouth dropped, how can she be only 7!
“See, it should be a siblings’ Delivery. She’s only 7, 7 mind you.”
“Hmm, that’s true.”
“No, we aren’t messing up the rules of the game! That’s final and there’s nothing you can do about it, you little brat!” A man yells at my brother. I get angry.
“My brother is not A BRAT! LEAVE HIM ALONE! YOU CAN’T TALK TO HIM LIKE THAT!” I yell at the top of my lungs, startling most of the people. I lunge at the man, but my brother holds me back.
“Let me go! Let me go!” I yell as  my brother keeps his hold on me, making me struggle.
“Hey...hey Marilyn...calm down, OK? It’s fine, I’m not upset, just win it for me, OK?”
“What...you’re not...mad?”
“No, but I do want you to win...but it’s ok if you don’t, OK? Just have fun, didn’t you say how much fun this was gonna be?” My brother softly asks me. I nod, a tear rolling down my face. My brother notices, setting me down. He bends to my level, and as he wipes the tear from my face, he brings me into a hug.
“I love you, Marilyn. Go out there, and show them what you can do for the Delivery, ok?” He gently presses his lips to my forehead, and I open my eyes a few minutes later to see him disappear into the crowd. I face the racemakers, walking up to a stage with the others-like last time.
“Alright, I’m ready.” I take a deep breath.
“Let’s go.” I am given 10 balloons, one with a symbol on it and a name and address written on the balloon. Hey, wait a minute, isn’t that symbol a sign of the Delivery makers? I look to my right at a male contestants’ symbol and it is the same. It is the same, my suspicion is correct! Hold on, if we are supposed to be taking an item to someone, and it’s valuable, the person must be important, right? So, shouldn’t it be a symbol of the person? Oh well, I guess I can learn more later. A lady helps me to a clearing, and I’m guessing we kick off, high into the sky here.
“Let the 5th Delivery’s Pulling begin! Contestants, go!” As I hear these words, I begin running until the balloons lift me away from the ground, watching the townspeople get smaller and smaller. I hear crying, and I turn my head to see the little girl from before.
“Why are you crying? Doesn’t the wind feel good through your hair?” She shakes her head, still crying.
“I won’t be able to see my mommy and… I won’t be able to see her for a while...I’m going to miss her.”
“Hey, little girl, it’ll be okay. You...I’ll help you see your mom and dad, OK? How about...how’s this? If you come with me, we’ll be able to see our parents even faster? Would you like that?” The little girl nods, getting blown to me by the wind. I pull the other balloons into my other hand, tying a knot with them. I help the girl tie her balloons on her hands, glancing at the “Delivery” balloon. I smile at the little girl.
“Hey, what’s your name?”
“My name is Rebecca. What is your name?”
“My name is Marilyn, it’s nice to meet you Rebecca.”
“Nice to meet you too...do you have a compass, Miss Marilyn...is it okay for me to call you that?”
“I don’t know if I have a compass, let’s look in the bag they gave us...and yes, it’s fine.” We look through the worn out messenger bags they give us, and suddenly Rebecca cheers.
“Here it is, must be the same for you!” I grin, hugging Rebecca. She hugs me back, and her next question surprises me a bit.
“Can I ride on your back, Miss Marilyn?” I look at her for a moment and then nod. She manages to float over to me, climbing on my back.
“I’m tired…” Rebecca quietly says, before she falls asleep on me. I smile a little, as I keep floating, pulling out the compass. I see we are going the right way, so I attach the compass to my hand, closing it.
“It’s gonna be a long race…” I mutter before I look down at the lake, sighing at it’s peaceful form.
“Good morning, Miss...Marilyn…” I smile.
“It’s night now, Rebecca! You slept for quite a while. I didn’t want to wake you up though, thought you might be really tired.
“Thanks. Is there anything to eat?”
“Should be something in your bag.” She looks in her bag, pulling out some pieces of cooked fish. You see, the contestants’ parents made us food to last through the race. She hands some to me, and I gratefully take it, realizing that I can’t reach through my bag right now. I check the compass, and sigh. I twist myself a little to the right, and then check again. Yes! I got us back on track! I look up at the name: Prince Logan-so it’s royalty, huh? I look at Rebecca’s name on her balloon and grin. It says the Delivery is for Prince Jackson...hopefully, they’re related or something…
“Hey, are we going the right way, sis-”
“Yeah, of course-did you just call me your sister, Rebecca?”
“I’m sorry, Miss Marilyn...the truth is...I have no siblings...and my father...well, he was the man who yelled at your brother. He doesn’t care whether I live or die, that’s why he yelled at your brother, he was  hoping I’d leave.” I didn’t think she meant for a trip, she meant for good.
“But you’re only 11! Why...why would he...who could be so cruel!”
“There are many reasons why people are cruel. My father’s is because...he blames me for my mother’s ill being. He knows it is not my fault, but he...let’s put it like this: It is easier to blame someone when the truth is too painful to bear. The same goes with him, it is easier to blame-”
“It is easier to blame than to forgive and forget-no, to remember and accept, to embrace.”
“Yes, exactly.”
“I see, is it easier for you to call me your sister, then?”
“Yes, especially since...it is no longer safe for me there. My father has gone beyond his wish of…” She trailed off, and didn’t start the conversation again.
“Then it’s ok, if you call me your sister, Rebecca.” She nods, floating off my back, glancing at her compass. She puts it back in her bag.
“If I begin to drift off, steer me back in the right direction, OK? I’m going to go to sleep for a little bit.” She nods, and I close my eyes for a while. When I wake up, it seems like night-I look down to see we are approaching land. Did I really sleep that long? I glance over at Rebecca to see she’s asleep-I hear something. Whoosh! The air in the balloons that’s carrying her-they’re running out! I gasp, and her eyes open enough-just to realize she’s falling to the ground.
“Sister, help me! Please, this must’ve been a trick of my father’s! HELP ME!” She screams. I try to grab her hand, but I keep missing. Now she’s falling towards the ground head first-I grab her foot just in time, pulling her back up. She clutches my shirt, sadly.
“I thought my father’s wish was gonna come true…” I sigh, giving her 5 of my balloons. We fly in silence, until Rebecca pokes me, pointing to the ground. The villagers are throwing supplies to us, they must know about the race. Rebecca and I grab what we can, from first aid to pouches of food.
“Thank you!” We both yell, waving to them. They wave back as I notice something. They are using glow sticks to spell out the words-
“Good luck! Your destination is 2 lands ahead!” I smile, waving at them again. We had left on our way again, and I saw they had been popping bunches of balloons back-they must’ve been trying to save Rebecca!
“Thank goodness.” I mutter. What is it, Wednesday? That means we have 4 days to get the item there. I look at my compass and then try to speed myself up a bit.  I feel Rebecca fall asleep on me, and I think a bit.
“What if I don’t win? What if I can’t fulfill Rebecca’s wish to come home? What if I never come home? What if someone else wins? What if-argh! I can’t lose, I have to win! For my brother, my villagers, for my family, for Rebecca, for...for myself. I will win this, no matter how hard it’s gonna be…” I check my compass again, and sigh, closing my eyes. I need a break from the race…
“We’re here! Two lands away, sis, we’re here!” Rebecca cheers, waking me up. I stretch and then stare at the land, amazed. I thought it’d be smaller then this-I realize there is a huge sign in the middle of the land, saying-
“Welcome, contestants! Pop your balloons, we’ll save you!” Rebecca and I pop our balloons, including the “Delivery” balloon, catching the item inside. That’s when we begin to fall. Just before we hit the ground, a bunch of trampolines catch us.
“Yay!” Rebecca squeals, laughing. I smile, and after we bounce on the trampolines a couple of times, the crowd that has gathered there catches the two of us, setting us down.
“Do you know the way-”
“To the prince and princess, right? Of course!” A woman smile gently down at us. She takes us there quickly, and we request to see the royalty. The guards let us in-and the princess and prince meet us outside, welcoming us in.
“Your highness, your majesty, we would-if we are allowed-to give you something.”
“Oh, for the race right? Oh well, that is valuable-if you came all the way here, right? Aren’t you tired?” The prince walks over to the young prince, picking him up. I realize the younger prince is about Rebecca’s age, and the older prince-my own.
“Oh no, it was no trouble at all, your majesty-”
“Where do you live? And no need to call me that, miss...?” He looks at me expectantly. He has a half-mask on.
“I am Marilyn...this is Rebecca-my-”
“It’s nice to meet you, J...Jackson and Logan. I’m Marilyn’s little sister.” The prince is surprised, but heads over to me.
“Excuse us, miss Rebecca. Your...sister and I here need to speak in private.” She nods, and the prince grabs me gently, leading me away from the younger ones, into his huge room. My mouth drops and the prince chuckles. I remember my manners and close my mouth quickly. I stay standing until the prince turns and says-
“M’lady, you can sit down.”
“I...I can?”
“Yes, m’lady, you can sit.” I sit on pillow, afraid to mess anything up-or say anything. The prince puts his crown away, smiling at me. He sits next to me, carefully eyeing me.
“You’re a quiet one, aren’t you? Though I must admit, you are very beautiful.”
“Y-your majesty…t-thank you...”
“Ah, so she speaks. How are you, miss Marilyn?”
“I’m g-good, your majesty…” He softens, and with a gloved hand, he turns my face, so I’m looking directly at him. I lower my gaze from his deep stare.
“Miss Marilyn, I will not hurt you, please look at me…” I return my gaze to his smiling yellow eyes. He grins, taking my hand with his gloved hand, and slowly begins to raise it to his lips. I quickly pull away, and stand up. 
“You are uncomfortable, am I right? Oh, and can you go check outside to see if anyone’s out there?”
“Ok.” I check, and no one is out there. I shake my head, and turn back around. I realize the prince is taking off his gloves-when he realizes I’m still there.
“Miss...could you…ah, forget it.” He goes into what seems to be a dressing room, closing the door. A few minutes later, he comes out-with normal clothes. I gape as he takes off his crown, scribbling a note, as he puts it outside the door. He grabs his phone, and headphones, and asks me a question.
“Do you trust me, miss Marilyn?”
“You can just call me Marilyn, and yes, I trust you…” He smiles, offering his hand to me. I take it, and he runs, stopping by the window.
“Marilyn, we...I want to escape this prison for a while...will you come with me?” I stare at him in surprise, before quickly lowering my eyes.
“Alright, if you desire it of me.” I feel a gloved hand guide my chin upwards, so I’m staring at him.
“Don’t look downwards, it only hides your eyes.” Prince Logan says gently. I am shocked...my eyes?
“But my eyes...they are not pretty. My Prince, if you don’t mind my asking, why are you being so kind towards someone of...of...my kind?” I ask, softly. He sits on the ledge of the window, and motions for me to sit. I sit on the floor, but I see him shake his head, motioning for me to stand up. Once I stand up, he tugs a little on my hand for me to sit down on the ledge with him. My eyes widen, and I pull away, and start to run away from him. He is faster, and grabs me by the arm, jerking me backwards slightly. I almost crash, but am steadied by the prince.
“My prince-”
“Your eyes are beautiful, Marilyn, I don’t know why anyone would tell you differently. And what exactly do you mean, of your kind? You and I are both human, that fact is true, is it not? And I’m being nice because...I see something in you that I’ve never saw in someone before...you remind me of myself, Marilyn. Let me ask you something: why do lower your gaze when I look or speak to you? Why do you pull away, why are you so uncertain of your actions? I do not want you to treat me differently-I beg of you not to. Just because I am from a higher class, does not mean I’ll allow you to treat me highly. Do you understand, Marilyn of Ircea?” I nod slowly, and he smiles, pulling me back to his room. He pulls me to the window, and this time when he offers me to sit, I stand frozen. I see his stare, and I suddenly collapse on him on accident!
“Oh my god-your Majesty, I-”
“It’s alright.” He smiles, and I manage to push myself off him.
“I’m really sorry, I don’t know what came over me! I’m so ashamed!” I cover my face in embarrassed. He takes my hands, moving them away from my face gently.
“It’s alright, it’s alright. I’ve seen much worse.” He grins, and I giggle.
“Prince Logan?”
“Hm?”
“I have something to give you-and I better hurry too…”
“No, you don’t. I know where all the other contestants are-they’re nowhere near their destination.”
“H-how-”
“I am a prince, I have my ways. Who do you think was the one who asked that village a few lands ago to throw supplies at you?”
“T-that was you?!!” He laughs, even his laugh sounds gentle and soft...
“Yes, it was me.”
“B-but...why…?”
“Just doing something to help-to be nice. You needed help-I was the hero...they were the hero...heroes...argh, you get what I mean?” He facepalms, and I laugh, making him smile.
“Yeah, I get it.”
“So, what’cha have for me?” He asks, getting his crown from his dresser. He places it on my head, and since it’s a big crown, I have to push it up to fit on my head. When I get myself together, I realize the prince is staring straight at me.
“Logan? You still there?” He blinks, and then smirks a bit.
“You called me Logan, didn’t you?” My eyes widened.
“No! I just-you seemed-you- remind me-” His smirk widened.
“You can call me whatever, but Logan is fine as well.”
“Ok...Logan...here...I have something…”
“Oh, don’t get quiet on me now! We were having fun!” He pouts.
“IhavesomethingtogiveyouLoganheretakeitit’sareallynicegiftIswear-”
“Ok, stop. First off, it’s a miracle I even understood that. Second, why are you going so fast? Are you scared of me now?” Logan takes his half-mask off, and I see why he wore it. A long scar runs down his face. He stares at me sadly.
“I saved a couple of people-I didn’t have my crown or anything fancy on-they beat me up, but I got away with this.” He points to it.
“Logan...I didn’t-”
“You weren’t supposed to know. But now that you do know-are you scared of me?” I’m quiet for a couple of minutes, and I watch as all hope drains out of the boy. I shake my head.
“I’m not scared-in fact, that makes you more interesting.”
“...You serious?” I nod, smiling. He hugs me-and I can hear him softly crying. I hug him back gently-until he pulls away.
“What did you bring?” He says, wiping his face. I go through my messenger bag and pull out a letter and a pre-wrapped heavy weighted object. I hand him the letter first, letting him read through it. His face shows many emotions, but he catches me staring and smiles. He nods, softly saying ok, and I give him the item. He opens it carefully, and gasps in shock. It’s a shiny purple diamond, I frown a bit. Why would the prince need a jewel, and why a purple one? He grins, seeing my confused stare, as he brings it up to my face. He studies it for a moment.
“It matches your eyes…” He brings out a crown, once he finished looking through a bag near his door. He places it on my head, asking me a question.
“You won...what would you like as your prize?”
“...I won…”
“Yep, you and Rebecca won.”
“Oh…”
“You sound sad, Marilyn.”
“It’s nothing, Logan...I just…”
“What is it?”
“I don’t wanna go back...I wanna see my family...but I know Rebecca doesn’t want to go back. Her father is trying to kill her…”
“...Why do you not want to go back, you want to see your family...don’t you?”
“Yes, but...I kind of want to stay here…”
“You know, you could see your family and stay here...but you have to agree to something-it’s a small thing, really.”
“What’s that?”
“if you would become a princess...Rebecca as well.”
“That’s what you call small?!! I can’t do that!”
“Why not? You’d be perfect.”
“No...no I wouldn’t...I don’t know the first thing about being graceful and polite, much less a princess!”
“I’ll help you.”
“What about the rest of my family? What about Rebecca?”
“They can come too, they’ll be royalty. All of them, Rebecca will as well.”
“But she’s not a part of my-no, she can stay with us. It’s a promise.” I smile at him, and he cheers.
“We’ll have to get started.” The prince changes again into prince-like clothes and grabs my hand, walking to where his mother, father, Rebbeca, the race makers, and Prince Jackson are. I bow to the queen and king, but they tell me it is not necessary. The race makers take us outside, grabbing our hands, raising them in the air.
“Marilyn and Rebecca of Ircea have won the race!” I grin, as the crowd goes crazy.
“What is your prize, Marilyn and Rebecca?” I motion Rebecca over to me, telling her what the prince said. I notice him and his family are watching the two of us. I ask for the microphone, and it is handed to me.
“We would be honored if our family and us were made royalty.” I say, looking at all the people who have gathered here to see us. Rebecca and I turn to face the queen, king, and both princes. Logan goes off somewhere suddenly, returning to us with a piece of paper. He won’t show us what’s at the top, but tells us to sign it. We do, as I notice a grin is on his face.
“You are officially royalty,” He removes his hand, and at the top of the paper it says Princess Decree. I cheer, and Rebecca laughs. Just then, I hear a sound-a plane. I look and my eyes widened-my family gets off the plane. I hear someone calling my name-
“Marilyn? Marilyn!” It sounds like-I turn around, and gasp. That’s Oliver’s voice.
“Oliver!” I shout his name, running over to him, tackling my brother. I sob, and helps me up, ruffling my hair.
“You won! I told you that you had it! And what’s the royalty deal?”
“Y’all were watching?” My brother facepalms, and takes me inside the plane. In there, is a tv switched the race.
“What do you think?” He laughs, and hugs me.
“So...you’re ok with being a prince?”
“Long as I got my family- I’m cool.”
“Aww that’s so sweet!” I giggle.
“B-be quiet!” He blushes. We go back outside to see Rebecca crying, she has a letter in her hand.
“I have to go back, it would seem…” She hands the letter to me, and I read that her mom died from sickness-and it’s Rebecca’s decision to come home or not. I drop the letter in sadness, hanging my head.
“D-don’t go…you-maybe you could stay here and live with us!”
“You mean, if y’all agree, I could live with you all? Oh joy, could I? I won’t be too much trouble! Oh, please?” Rebecca begs my parents. They give me a quick look, and before they say something, I run over to them and explain Rebecca’s situation. They give her a sad look, and then smile, nodding.
“Yay!” Rebecca cheers. She runs over to over to me, hugging me tight. I close my eyes. We won...we proved to the world that we can make it...we did it.
-Later-
I wave to the people, with my brother Oliver, my sister Rebecca, Logan, and Jackson beside me. We did it! 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.