R & B | Teen Ink

R & B

By susannah zellers, mountain view, California
susannah zellers, Mountain View, California

Author's note: I love this piece haha its so embarrassing don't even read it, well its okay go ahead haha(;

Once upon a time there were 2 beautiful children of Gods, Princess and her fiance, Prince Charming, aka The Water Polo Champion. Their childhood best friends were known as the golden children, Steve the oldest, Dash, Kev, Smacks and Lena. They all lived in Princess’ and Prince Charming’s gigantic mansion in the sky.

All was well in the city in the sky of the Gods, until the night Bowser came to declare war.

Prince Charming was first to wake up. He ran down 3 flights of stairs to find Princess.
She was sitting alone on her bed, watching the city burn down.

“We need to get out of here, Princess!!” Prince screamed.
They ran out just as a missile blew up Princess’ room.

Princess and Prince found Steve next. He was slightly wounded and could barely walk. Steve looked happy to see them, “The Shyguys are here!! They’re looking for King Zeus!!”

“Dad!!” Princess’ heart pounded. “We need to find them!”
“We’ll find them” Steve ordered,”Prince--you find the others”

Steve and Princess ran to the elevator. He slammed the button and the doors opened.
Thank god the elevator still worked. Zeus’ master bedroom was on the 60th floor.
Steve punched the numbers up to “60”
The elevator moved at light speed. One side was completely made of glass and overlooked the whole city.
The chaos was peaceful and beautiful behind glass. And scary.
The elevator came to a sudden stop. The numbers stopped clicking off.
Steve clicked the numbers until his hands went numb. It got much hotter.
Steve stared at Princess, both fighting tears, shaking. His purpose was to protect the princess. Though Steve never had a family, Princess’ always felt like his.
They hugged. “You’ll always be my best friend, Steve,” Princess cried into his shirt, “I’ll miss ya”
Steve felt a new energy. He could save her. She was counting on him.
And It wasn’t over yet.
The elevator shook. It became scorching hot.
“On 3 we jump through the glass.”
“What?!” She screamed. She grabbed his arm and shut her eyes.
1..
2…

They jumped. Steve and Princess fell onto a soft cloud.
They looked at each other. And then just laughed.
“Come on,” Steve said, “Lets find the others”

“Thank God you are alright,” Lena hugged the princess, “We thought you’d been sent to Bowser’s prison.”

“What prison?” Steve asked.

“Everyone in the city was captured and sent there. Except us.” Kev said.
“Ofcourse we weren’t. We’re the golden children,” Smacks said, “We’re lucky!!”
They all laughed.
“Where is this prison? We can bust ‘em out in no time” Dash asked.
Smacks pulled out his laptop, “That won’t be easy, Dash,”
He started typing, “Says here that It’s located in the jungle. On...Earth!!!!!!!!!!!”
“Gross” Princess said “But I guess we have to”
Kev’s eyes lit up,”Maybe we will get… AN AWARD!!!!!!!!”
“I, too,want an award.” Lena said.
“Gross.” Princess laughed.
“Well lets go to the jungle!!!” Prince Charming said, “With our miiiiinds…”

In an instant, the 7 of them were deep in the jungle.

At 7:00pm It was very humid and sprinkling.
The golden children had hiked 14 hours before finding Bowser’s Hidden Prison, an old steel building. They sat in a circle to decide how to proceed further.

“What a dump.” Smacks said. Steve laughed.
Dash asked, “Any ideas future king?”
“Uh not really..” Prince Charming grumbled, slightly nervous of the word “king.”
Lena sighed, “Why don’t we just talk to Bowser and ask him to release them?”
“Are you crazy?!” Steve said, “Go ahead, Le.”
Everyone’s mouths dropped as Lena strutted to the entrance.
Lena rang the doorbell.
“What is she doing?!” Kev whispered,”That’s not a doorbell..”
Suddenly a siren went off and red lights flashed on and off.
Everyone looked at Steve. “What?!” Steve groaned.
He got up from the circle and stood next to Lena. “Pansy c’mon lets-”
The steel door opened, revealing Bowser. He shut off the alarms and it became awkwardly quiet.
“Oh hello there Bowser,” Lena smiled, “I was wondering if…”
“Perfect, 2 more prisoners muahaha!!” Bowser laughed.
Lena hid behind Steve as Bowser’s Shyguys handcuffed them together.
Lena felt a pit in her stomach and a hint of embarrassment.

The other golden children hurried out of sight to a crashing waterfall and a spring.
“Oh jeez.” Dash sighed, “What should we do now?”
“I say we save Lena and let that Steve rot in jail..” Kev said.
Smacks pushed Kev into the water. They all laughed.
The water started to shimmer and change colors.
“What the…” Prince Charming said.
“Where did Kev go?” Dash asked.
“I’m here!!!” A voice called.
“Woah..” Smacks was shocked, “You’re a..”
“FISH?!?!?!” Princess shouted.
Kev was a golden fish with rainbow scales.
“This is so unfair,” Princess said, “None of us have powers!!!!!!”
“Except for,” Smacks laughed, “Super strength!!!!!!

Prince Charming started a game of water polo, with a coconut instead of a ball.
Kev kept score. Smacks and Prince Charming won against Princess and Dash, but that was expected. Prince Charming was phenomenal at the game. He spent so much of his free time playing at the waterpark in the sky.

“For the last time I am sorry!!” Lena screamed at Steve, “Ok?!”
They were both tired and angry.
Steve looked around the jail cell, there was just a broken mattress, a toilet and a water faucet. “...I get the mattress”
“Goodnight Steve.” Lena sighed.
“Night.”

Princess couldn’t sleep. The rain turned into a ferocious storm. She could hear thunder and lightning.

Prince Charming, Smacks and Kev were all sleeping now. How could they sleep so easily in the storm? It was so windy and wet and cold. Miserable. She felt jealous of Lena and Steve to be indoors.

The lightning cracked and Princess screamed. She expected someone to comfort her. She felt selfish.
What if they had worries of their own? No.. they were always so collected.
But still...

Steve woke up before the sun rose.
...to see Lena asleep on his mattress.
He would’ve said something.
But she looked so blissful.

Princess had spent a majority of the night working on a shelter. It had hammocks for everyone, even Steve and Lena. Working felt so good.
At 5 in the morning, she finished with energy left to waste.
It took a lonely night to make her realize that there was nothing to be afraid of.
Alone, she tiptoed into the misty green jungle. It was filled with distant sounds of birds and chimpanzees and toucans and sloths.
But then all the music stopped. She felt a shiver come through her spine.
Princess felt something watching her. It was a tiger.
Slowly pacing toward her. Roaring under its breath like thunder. She looked into its big red eyes because she wasn’t afraid anymore.

“Lena..” Steve whispered, “I’m hungry..”
Lena woke up feeling dizzy. She realized she was lying on the mattress and her face turned red.
“Me too,” He was sitting up. She wondered how long he had been awake.
“Lets go to the dining hall for breakfast.” Lena smiled, “I want scrambled eggs”
“Lena you do know we’re in a jail cell right?”
She ignored him and leaned through the bars to see a yellow shyguy marching through the hall.
He yellow shyguy walked over, staring at their handcuffs.
“Hello there” The yellow shyguy said.
Lena rolled her eyes, “We’re starving over here!”
He ignored her, “My name is Cart.”
“Hi Cart,” Steve said.
“I’ll let you two in on a secret. I’m not actually loyal to Bowser. I’m a spy! I’m working to get the citizens out of jail, but I need your help you handsome young man..”
The yellow shyguy told them.
“Sure whatever. So can we eat now?” Steve groaned, “Seriously…”
“Better than that--you can be king!!!”
“No No No thank you. Prince Charming is our future king”
Steve put his hand over Lena’s mouth, “Interesting...”
“you know the princess right?”
“Oh jeez..”
“Shes getting married to Prince Charming?”
They nodded.
“In my opinion, Prince Charming is an idiot--not fit to be king.” Cart sighed, “We need someone like... you, Steve.”
Steve smiled,”You really think so?”
Cart ignored him “Which is why you two need to find a way to make Princess marry you!” He paused, “Its the only way.”
“But I’m stuck in jail!” Steve groaned.
“I’ll let you out temporarily, but I will watch you closely. And if you leave her side there will be consequences.”
Cart waved his hand and instantly a buffet cart appeared. Then he vanished.

“Yummm food!!” Lena’s mouth watered. It was mexican food.
“Enchiladas!! Woo!” Steve laughed.
“That Cart guy was weird.” Lena said.
“I think we really see eye to eye,” Steve muttered.
“What?! Is it ‘cause he said you’d be a good ruler..?!”
Steve ignored her, “Just imagine: King Stevey the first…”
Lena slapped him, “Are you nuts?!”
Suddenly Cart came back. He waved his arm atLena. He took away her voice like she had just coughed it up.
Lena tried to shout but nothing came out. She lost her breath.
“Have you made a decision yet, Steve?”
“Yes. I want to be king.” He looked at Lena, she looked mad.
Cart smiled deviously.

“How did we end up in this fancy fort?!” Dash asked.
“No clue..” Smacks said, nearly falling out of the hammock.
“Hey where’s Princess?” Prince Charming asked.
Kev shrugged “Shes probably going swimming or something. Dash, lets find food.”

Dash and Kev headed out into the jungle. They found very little food, just 3 bananas.
“Kev, who’s...that?” Dash felt cold.
“Is that..?”
They both ran towards the distant figure.
It was Princess! She was unconscious and her arm was wounded.

“Steve!! Lena!!” Smacks said, “How’d you get out of jail?”
“We..uh..escaped.” Steve said, nervously. Lena mentally screamed at him.
Smacks and Prince Charming noticed the handcuffs.
“Hey...wheres the Princess?” Steve asked.
“Not sure.” Prince Charming frowned. Steve looked worried.
Minutes later, Dash and Kevvy ran in.
“The princess is dead!! Come quick!!” They said.

Everyone gathered in a circle and stared at the princess.
“Shes not dead. Its just a little cut.” Smacks observed, though it didn’t seem little to anyone else.

Hours later, Princess was conscious again, but her left arm was lifeless.
At the moment, she didn’t let it affect her. Knowing that Lena and Steve were okay and that she was surrounded by her friends made everything alright. They were giving her more attention than usual which felt better than anything but sort of brought her back to the beginning. Princess felt something brand new.

At 5 am, Dash and Smacks started a big fire outside of the shelter. It was a warm night and the sunset was a pretty orange color. They all sat on big rocks around the fire and whispered.
Steve made an effort to sit next to Princess and it annoyed Prince Charming and even more so, Lena.

The stars came out and the night got hotter. Princess stared at the glow of the fire on the golden children’s faces. They were all really gorgeous.

Though they all had different worries they all shared the same feeling of being outside on a night like this.
It made them feel like anything could happen. For better or for worse.

“Princess..” Steve whispered, “I need to talk to you alone..uh Kev you can come too.”
Kev was surprised at the invitation but he agreed. Lena stayed as far back from Steve as the handcuffs could go. She was so angry she could almost break them.
Prince Charming looked at Princess. She didn’t look back.

Steve lead Princess to the waterfall. He told Kev to dive in the water to get his lost wristband.
The water lit up. Brighter than ever before in the darkness.
“So.. Will you marry me?” Steve asked.
WHAT?!?! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! Princess felt anxious. So many thoughts it made her head spin.

Princess leaned back. She hit the water and the cold felt so good.
She planned to never get out of the water. She would just stay down there forever.
Suffocating seemed like a realistic option.

Prince Charming, Smacks and Dash appeared. Prince Charming looked Steve in the eye. They started screaming. Smacks and Dash tried to break it up, but sometimes water only made a flame grow. It only made things worse.

Lena glanced at the pool. Princess had been underwater for 4 and a half minutes now.
Get out Princess, Lena thought, please

Lena finally broke the handcuff. She was surprised by her strength.
Lena sprinted away from them and dove in.

The fight grew hotter. Prince Charming was knocked to the ground. His leg was bleeding. He gave Steve a black eye.
“Stop it!!!” Dash and Smacks started pleading. Prince Charming kept punching back but lost his power and gave in. He lay there almost gone and Steve just stared at him.
Cart appeared out of thin air. “Steve!” He said darkly.

Smacks and Dash stood back. Lena heaved Princess out of the water.
“Cart!! Get away from here!!” Steve cried.
“Kill him Steve!! Hes almost dead!!” Cart whispered in his ear.
But Steve only listened to a louder voice. His conscience.
Steve reached out his arm to Prince Charming. He brought him up and pulled him in to hug him. Everyone was surprised at Steve. Even Steve was surprised at himself.
“What are you doing?!” Cart screamed.
“Cart?!” Prince Charming coughed.
“You know him?”

“We were dance partners…” Prince Charming admitted. Smacks and Dash gasped. Steve raised an eyebrow.
“Its true.” Cart said, “He was so amazing. I don’t know why he hid it from all of you
“It was the Spring Tournament of 2006. Everyone was counting us to win. We would get to go to Championships. Thats where dreams came true.”
“I’m sorry..” Prince Charming managed to say.
Cart continued, “Minutes before we went onstage he told me to lose. He said this wasn’t his dream. But it was mine..”
Prince Charming started to cry.
“I told him to do his best. But he didn’t listen to me.”

“My heart was racing. Prince’s leap at the end landed halfway off the stage. We were done for. After words, I got mad at him in front of everyone. It made the headlines that I had ‘hurt the prince.’ Boo Hoo. I needed this dream and he didn’t. He ruined my career. He’s unfaithful. Period.”
Cart said. They all turned toward the Prince, “I’m sorry. I’m really truly honestly sorry. Back then, my mind was set on water polo. And it still is. Which made me make a decision.” Prince Charming sighed, “I don’t really want to be king.”
Everyone gasped. And then clapped.
“I think that a government would be much more appropriate.”

It was a magical summer afternoon in the city of the sky. Everyone who lived there was invited to the biggest event of the year: Prince Charming and Princess’ wedding.
The event was held in the backyard of their brand new cottage house. A cottage house was a style of architecture only found on Earth. Everyone wanted one now.
This day was highly anticipated. Blue and gold string lights hung, white tablecloths set with blue bouquets, mexican catering ordered. Wine glasses, strawberry cake, white roses, and Justin Bieber played on big speakers like the soul of an angel. In fact, Justin Bieber attended the wedding. He wouldn’t miss it.
The music faded away as Princess walked gracefully to the altar.
Prince Charming smiled, “Hey everyone! Its awesome to see you all here. I know some close friends of mine have had a rough few days. Everyone here actually! Bowser’s prison is pretty rough!”
Steve laughed.
Prince continued, “But the important part is we saved it in the end, right?”
The crowd chuckled, not really sure where this was going.
“Special thanks to my buddy Cart over there,” he pointed, “who locked Bowser in a cage.”
Prince Charming smiled, “Though he had help from Lena guessing the password to his room.”
“Thank you to Kev for healing Princess’ arm and Steve’s eye. Thank you Smacks for helping to rebuild our city. Thank you to Steve, for not marrying Princess. And thank you to Dash, our brand new president of the sky!!”
Everyone clapped.
“Without you, all this couldn’t be possible!!”
Steve, the priest, said all of the boring vows, Princess almost fell asleep.
Finally it was time for the good part, the “I do’s”
Steve looked at them, “Prince Charming, do you take this beautiful Princess to be your wife?”
“I do,” He smiled.
“What about you, Princess?”
“I do too,” She said.
The crowd cheered. The music blasted once again and they all started dancing.