Tim Burton | Teen Ink

Tim Burton

By CoffeTeaSip BRONZE, Pleasant Grove , Alabama
CoffeTeaSip BRONZE, Pleasant Grove , Alabama

Creativity, it’s one of many things that a person is born with, although some people have it more than others.  Tim Burton is the mastermind behind many popular films such as Alice in Wonderland, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. All of these movies include vibrant imagery, compelling storytelling and immense amounts of innovation. Tim Burton uses mood, lighting and setting to make timeless films and short stories.

In Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Burton uses camera angles and setting to give the audience members a feeling of wonder and delight. In the scene where Emma Bloom is putting the chipmunk back in a tree, the camera is panning with her at a medium angle as she is showing off her powers (Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children 2016). The background responds with her as the wind blows causing leaves to shake in a slow, peaceful way. This creates a feeling of wonder because the audience didn’t know of her powers. With the help of the camera angles and  setting it made the reveal far more appealing. In conclusion, Burton uses these techniques to control the feeling in a person’s mind.

In Burton’s Alice and Wonderland the lighting and effects are used to create the mood. When Alice falls down the rabbit hole, books, barrels, shelves, cabinets, paintings, and other things of the like are falling up as she is falling down. During this, soft yellow-orange lanterns glow around her (Alice in Wonderland. Directed by Tim Burton, Walt Disney Pictures, 2010). As the objects are ascending around her it sets the mood to be very weird and strange, since objects of that nature are not found in holes. With the lighting being unnatural to the surroundings, it gives the entire scene a mood of whimsical confusion. To summarize many elements are used to make the mood in Alice and Wonderland. In Burton’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory he uses shots, framing and camera movements to make dramatic effect.

When Charlie, his grandfather, and Willy Wonka go into The Great Glass Elevator they go upwards at a fast moving pace Charlie and the (Chocolate Factory 2005). The camera is close up to catch their expressions and reactions while it pans upward with the elevator. The speed of the elevator is going combined with the expressions of the characters make the scene tense and suspenseful since the audience doesn’t know what will happen to the characters next, adding on to the dramatic effect. To summarize, Burton uses techniques such as these to make a theatrical scene.

Throughout all of his work Burton uses camera angles, shots, framing, setting and lighting to breathe life into his stories. The work and effort put into each and everyone of his works is outstanding. With that being said, his work will be remembered throughout the years.