The Lakes | Teen Ink

The Lakes

By LexF__ BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
LexF__ BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I was ten years old at the time.  After dismissal, my older Sister would always be there waiting for me.  We would walk home together and talk to our friends along the way.  Returning home from school, on a Friday afternoon.  As soon as I pushed open the front door, there was my Mother.  The scent of food was always present when I came home.  As if my Mother was a psychic and could sense, that I was hungry.  She would greet me with a warm hug and a large, ‘bright as the sun’ smile, every time.  My little Sister would always be by my Mother’s side.  Her little ‘mini me’, playing with her colorful blocks, with no care in the world.

“How was school? She would ask, “And don’t forget to take off your guy’s shoes.”
“It was good; the day felt like it went by really fast.” I respond, in a grateful tone
“That’s nice.” “Go take off your uniforms and get dressed, we’re gonna take a drive.”

As soon as my Mother said the words “take a drive”, my Sisters and I knew we were in for a real treat.  Primarily due to it being Friday, the beginning of the weekend, we knew that we were going somewhere fun.  Without another sound, my Sister and I raced up the stairs, to get ready.  Not having to worry about schoolwork and knowing that we were going out, made me very excited.  Almost forgetting about the food I smelled earlier. Once we were done, we headed back downstairs.  As I look over to grab my shoes by the door, I notice my Mother standing there.  Our usual picnic bag in her right hand and a gallon of water in her left. 

“Is that food for where we’re going?” I asked curiously.
“You’ll see when we get there” My Mother responded, still, that bright smile upon her face.

I remember the anticipation of the car ride there.  All of us playing “I-Spy” to kill the time.  My Mother would print out activity sheets or coloring pages, for us to do while we waited.  As a kid, I would memorize familiar street signs, or buildings, leading to places I thought were important.  The Phillies stadium happened to be one of them.  Every time we drove by the stadium, I knew we were going to the lakes.  

After an hour, which felt like forever, we finally made it.  My Mother drove the car up a dirt road.  The rocky bumps below the car tires, made me shake uncontrollably.  Nothing but tall trees filled the land.  Each tree had a vibrant, green afro of leaves.  I looked out of the window in awe, admiring every little bit of nature.  The fresh grass smell, flew through the windows of the car, my nostrils were pleased.  The songs sang, from the birds chirping, danced around my ears.  I was so prepared to jump out of my seat.  My Sisters felt the same, from the gummy smiles expressed across their faces.  My little Sister clapping her hands from inside of her car seat.
The car officially parked and I unbuckled my seatbelt, almost immediately.  Once my Mother pressed the button to open the car doors, I rushed out. Faster than Flash, I was on that floor, strands of grass in between my fingers.

“Alexis, not yet. I’m going to need help with laying out the blanket!” My Mother called out.

However, the lake, I have waited the whole car ride for, was right there.  I could almost feel the cool water on my fingertips.  Unfortunately, my Mother kept calling out.  Saying farewell to the lake for just a little while longer.  I assisted her and my Sister with the picnic blanket and the lake was finally mines.  My legs sprung up with so much force, dashing off, leaving my family in the distance.  There I was, embracing all that Mother Nature had to offer me.  I bent down and began to play in the lake, my Sister soon joining me.  The dirt below the water, felt pebbly and gritty all at once.  It slid through the gaps between my fingers, so smoothly. 

“Oh my God! What is that?!” My Sister shouted out.

Catching me by surprise, I pounced up in shock, the dirt washing away from my hands.  I then followed the direction of where her finger was pointing.  Which led my eyes to a spot in the lake, four feet from where we were standing.  Something long and dark, lurking from below the thin water.   It appeared to have sharp lumps on its back, similar to the skin of a crocodile.  Immediately, out of fear, my Sister and I ran out of the lake, to alert my Mother.

“Mom! There’s a crocodile!” I cried out, trying to regain my breath.
“What?!” My Mother answered in surprise. “Stay with Chyna! And don’t move!”

Doing as instructed, my Sister and I stood with our little Sister.  We all watched as our Mother took a step closer and closer to the crocodile.  A gigantic knot forming in my stomach and my heart trying its hardest to escape out of my mouth.  My Mother soon approaches a couple of minutes later.  Only, she is laughing.  To my surprise, my eyes widen.  I turn to give a glance at my Sister; our faces, both begin to fall, in confusion.

“What’s so funny?”  I ask my Mother.
  “It.. It was a log.” My Mother responds.  Barely keeping her composure, as she is teary-eyed from laughing.
“Go look.”  She says.

I run towards the lake, once again, with my Sister right on my heels.  A cracked up log, swept upon our feet, by the waves.  To make myself certain, I grab a stick, from the pile that lays beside me.  Poking it as many times needed to reassure myself.  I sighed in relief and continued to explore.  I came upon a clump of rocks, piled up high.  Attempted to make my way up, a few scratches left on my legs.  Although, it was worth the beautiful view it gave me, in exchange.  On the other side of the lake, I could see more bushy trees.  People on their canoe boats, in the distance.  The beaming light shining down from the sun, made everything come to life.  Its heat comforting my skin, like a warm blanket.  The wind and the trees wrestling, made leafs hover, gently over the lake.  If I had to choose one word to describe what I was feeling, it would be “free”. I felt very free.  It still amazes me, something that brought me so much joy as a child, was priceless.  An experience that anyone can witness, with no cost.

I just wanted to share my best memory I had, as a child. I aslo agree with that saying "The best things in life are free."