Evanston IL Restaurant Review: Koco Table | Teen Ink

Evanston IL Restaurant Review: Koco Table

By camlind7 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois
camlind7 SILVER, Evanston, Illinois

When this classic Korean restaurant was suggested as a dinner option one Saturday night, I had no idea what to expect, I didn’t even know what Korean food was. Always one to try new things, I enthusiastically said yes. That night, we walked into the inconspicuous storefront in an often forgotten part or downtown Evanston, Clark Street, and started to study the extensive menu. Other than the delicious looking pictures, I had no idea what any of the food was, so I went with my table mate’s order and got the chicken Bibimbap, a Korean classic.

After a quick wait, the sizzling pot of rice, noodles, vegetables, and chicken was placed in front of me with a gleaming fried egg to top it off. I broke the perfect yoke with my chopstick and mixed the delicious smelling ingredients around in the pot. The first bite was bursting with flavor, and I dug into the rest, taking in the healthy portion with no regrets.

My friends feasted on their versions of the Bibimbap, one of them choosing the beef, and the other choosing the equally delicious vegetarian option, tofu. When we reached the bottom of our pots, the rice was crispy and deliciously hot. We sat at our window table for well over an hour, talking and enjoying the new flavors that came with each bite of our meal. When we finally finished, we left with the knowledge of a great new spot to eat, a new kind of cuisine that would go into my regular rotation, and just a small dent in our bank accounts, as the delicious meal didn’t cost much.

Overall, the Bibimbap at Koco Table was a steaming, sizzling success.