Treasure of Waukesha County | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County

April 24, 2015
By AHSJr SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
AHSJr SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are 91 lakes in Waukesha County that range from 0 to 2,493 acres. While Lake Nagawicka isn’t the biggest or smallest of those lakes, it’s still unique. From the shallow sandbars, to the calm kettle, to the island that inhabits the middle of the lake, Lake Nagawicka is a true treasure.


Everytime I drive my boat up the River to the mouth of the lake, I get the feeling of anxiety in my belly just from thinking about the possibilities of the day. When the sun is shining, in the distance I see people fishing, tubing, and jetskiing. Time I spend on Lake Nagawicka is perfect, and that the possibilities for fun are endless.


For my brothers and me, the lake is never far away. Whether it’s the short walk to our boat, to a couple minute bike ride to my favorite peninsula where from there, a sandbar is only a short distance away. And, if I’m feeling up to it, a 15 minute bike ride to Nagawicka Park and public beach.


Lake Nagawicka also has a peacefulness to it on warm, summer days. While other nearby lakes like Okauchee and Pewaukee are crowded, Nagawicka is fairly remote which allows for a peaceful day on the lake. And, because of the geographical diversity of the lake, and the memories made by so many , it’s one of the greatest treasures in Waukesha County.