The Ancient Olympic Games | Teen Ink

The Ancient Olympic Games

By BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin
BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin

I am good, but not an angel
I do sin, but I am not the devil
I am pretty, but not beautiful
I do have friends, but I am not the peacemaker

The first Olympics were held in 776 B.C and dedicated to Greek Gods and Goddesses.  Olympia was the site of the first Olympic games.  Olympia is the is located in the western part of the peloponnese and is also known as the island of the “Pelops”, the founder of the Olympic games.  Olympia has impressive temples and ancient sporting facilities.  Olympia functioned as a place where you could worship and do other religious and political practices.  The main part of Olympia was the temple of Zeus and next to it the temple of Hera. 

The Olympics were tied together with the religious festivals of the cult of Zeus. They had a secular character and aimed to show the physical qualities and the performances accomplished by people, as well as encouraging good relations between the cities of Greece. The games had great importance in the Greeks religion. 
The Victory Ceremony is a bit different than the way we do it now.  First the victor would get his first awards right away after the competition.  After announcing the victors name a Hellanodikis (a Greek judge) places a palm branch in the the victors hands, while the crowd is cheering and throwing flowers.  Red ribbons were tied to his hands and head to mark his victory.  The official award ceremony would take place on the last day of the Games, at the elevated vestibule of the temple of Zeus.  Loudly the herald would announce the name of the Olympic winner, his father's name, and his homeland.  Then, the Hellanodikis placed the sacred olive tree wreath, or kotinos, on the winner's head.