A Little Taste Of Italy! | Teen Ink

A Little Taste Of Italy!

By Carara BRONZE, Horsham, Other
Carara BRONZE, Horsham, Other

Italy is famous for many things, its food, its architecture, its music, but above all its beauty! Now most people when they think of Italian cities would firstly think of Rome. However, I found a true Italian atmosphere, in the Tuscan city of Florence!
My trip there was a short one, only lasting a day, but still I truly began to appreciate the beauty of Italian life. Walking down the quaint cobbled streets and staring at the picturesque scenes, you were transported back to ancient times, when Florence true to name was in flourish!
The variety of buildings, built since the Roman period, was outstanding. But, I have to say my favourite by far was the Duermo! The rust coloured slates slant on the roof top, forming the shape of a dome, whilst above sits a cream coloured spire, topped with a golden cross that glimmers in the sunlight. The body of the building itself is a shimmering white, tiled with a black pattern and around the windows and pillars the Duermo is painted with ornate patterns. Its beauty is breathtaking, the architecture exquisite, and its sheer size make the people around it look like no more than pin pricks from the top.
Although Florence itself is fabulous and I could have spent all day browsing the stores and sightseeing all the cathedrals, statues and squares, I felt I really couldn’t leave without sampling some Italian cuisine. After a busy days walking, getting hot and flustered in the sun, there was nothing I wanted more than to sit in a quiet cafe and watch the world go by.
Cappuccinos, brochettes, pizzas and of course ice-cream were all on the menu that evening. We ate sitting in a little cafe, which was filled with a small fire blazing and had garlic that hung down from the walls. To me it was a picturesque scene if ever there was one.
Going there for me was like visiting a forgotten world, a lifetime could be spent there and I feel a person would never tire. Beauty and wonder is what a city like Florence is filled with and small though the time was I spent there, I truly feel I experienced a little taste of Italy.

A city such as this, how could I not write about it?