My religion...Then and Now | Teen Ink

My religion...Then and Now

By imagine_it_all BRONZE, Canton, Massachusetts
imagine_it_all BRONZE, Canton, Massachusetts

When I was younger a cross to me was what Jesus carried. Now it is what not only Jesus carried for us, yet it is what we all carry and help each other carry. When I was younger, I saw the Stations of the Cross around the church as a sad story, and nothing else. Now I see them as an inspiration of my journey with my very own cross. I also see it as inspiration to help others carry their very own crosses. When I was younger, I thought that Catholicism was all about reading the Bible and sitting in CCD. Now I learned it provides me a foundation to improve my relationship with myself, god and others. When I was younger, I though killing someone was a sin. Now I see a sin as a failure of one of those relationships, and that we are all capable of sinning and do sin. When I was younger, my life was all I knew to me. Now I see it as a small part of my life, which will be followed by eternal life. When I was younger, the cross in the back parking lot of the church meant little to nothing to me. Now I understand when I take the Host in Mass, I’m being empowered to do just what that sign says and means; to make God’s kingdom on earth. When I was younger, I would have thought my faith journey was being an expert in the Catholic religion. Now I know it is to play my part and make God’s Kingdom on Earth. I know that I was put here on Earth for a reason, although I do not know that exact reason.

This was actually part of my faith statement for my Confirmation. I realized the difference of what religion meant to me; back then and now.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Great work! Please check out my work. Comment and rate!