Snow, Snow, Snow | Teen Ink

Snow, Snow, Snow MAG

I packed my bags and headed for the airport on a frigid morning in late winter, as bundled up and warm as a mug of hot chocolate. I could only imagine what the Arctic Circle would be like: powerful snowstorms, glistening mountains, people greeting me with warmth and kindness, and wonderfully fresh air. I daydreamed in the crowded airport about how long and treacherous this trip would be, but I was wrong. Yes, it was a long trip, but not as bad as I thought.

Arriving in the Arctic Circle was amazing, and the airport was nice, too, not crowded like in America. I didn’t know what we would do next, but I was prepared for the exciting activities ahead of me. My mom had told me we were going to see the Ice Hotel and when we got there it was like something out of a fairy tale. Everything in there was made of ice, from the beds to the walls, which were beautiful and glittered like a sunset on a summer afternoon. The sculptures were fantastic and every room held a different experience.

We jumped into a taxi and headed to our hostel. We had our own little room, which I entered fearfully because it was dark. All I found was a table, chair, closet, and a bunk bed. It was 10 p.m. and I was ready to collapse. I thought I would fall asleep easily after such a long day but I tossed and turned all night. I couldn’t figure out why since it was quiet and nothing was bothering me. I was just about to close my eyes when someone at my bedroom door startled me - thank goodness it was Mom and not some stranger.

When morning came I was still very tired. I walked to the kitchen wondering about breakfast. Would it be pancakes? Waffles, bacon, or scrambled eggs? I was ready to eat any of these but my breakfast fantasy met the same fate as my hope of sleep. What was set in front of me was a piece of toast with a bit of butter, an apple, and a glass of milk. I could tell this was going to be another long day. Why am I here? I wondered. There was no TV, no computer, no phone, and no heat. How could I live like this? I still don’t know, but the snow outside was as white and powerful as I imagined it would be and the sun was shining, even though it was way below freezing.

The day turned out to be a lot of fun. I rode a snow scooter near the mountains and had a reindeer burger for lunch. That might not sound appetizing, but it was delicious. My mom told me about the aurora borealis (Northern Lights), which is visible at night and a sight you don’t want to miss. I wanted to see them but unfortunately no one woke me.

The next morning we had the same breakfast, but dogsledding was on the schedule which was exciting and one of the most interesting activities I’ve ever done. I went on a sled with my mom and the instructor and we rode to a teepee in a deserted area. Since this was our last day, when we returned to the hostel, we had to pack and leave for home.

I will never forget my trip to the Arctic Circle. By its end I didn’t want to leave because I was having such a great time but I had to go back to America, back to the crowded airports, back to the noise. Ah, home sweet home. Once back, I was glad to be in my own bed and drifted off into a deep sleep.