The Love of Abaco | Teen Ink

The Love of Abaco

March 28, 2019
By isabellabrogna BRONZE, Austin, Texas
isabellabrogna BRONZE, Austin, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She sat under the tree, glaring my direction every few moments. Eight-year-old Fiona had suddenly decided she no longer wanted to be my friend. A fiery ball of sass, Fiona would have it her way or not at all. All she wanted was to feel loved. Daily life in Abaco for most children consists of going to school, doing homework, and wondering who or what would be waiting at home. Home for Fiona and her friends is far from the homes we know. They live in small homes, typically lacking running water and electricity. Many live with just a mother or possibly an aunt or older sister. They grow up with a parental figure struggling to help them survive. They are filled with unbelievable amounts of joy and excitement when they see the familiar van pull up that they know is filled with teenagers from the States. The kids find the greatest joy in just holding your hand, getting a piggyback ride, or playing with your hair. Fiona especially sought this attention and quickly became jealous of any interactions I had with others. Each time she saw me with someone else, she would storm away and insist she no longer wanted to be my friend. This anger didn’t last long. She quickly came running back, throwing her arms around me as she exclaimed I was her best friend. On that last day as we played with the kids one final afternoon, Fiona knew that we would be leaving soon. She quickly decided she wanted to be my friend again and stuck with me the rest of the afternoon, leaving only to chase down a hat from a friend and write a letter. My heart broke as I had to say goodbye to my new best friend as I watched the sadness fill her face. As hard as it was to say goodbye, I learned so much from my time with the sweet kids. The simplest act of love can have a lifelong impact on those around you.